Warrior Clan Cats

The future's in your paws. Shape it well.

Roleplay in a cat Clan of warriors. Based off the Warriors series by Erin Hunter. Takes place in an AU before the cats in the books existed.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome to WCC! Here are our latest announcements:
Activity checks take place on the 1st of the month. PM a staff member with the completed form if you missed it.
Newleaf is finally here, and the Clans hope to find reprieve from the tough Leaf-bare.
Gatherings take place on the 1st of the month; keep your eyes out for a staff member's post!
Please feel free to hit up any staff member if you have any questions!

I Make a Wish and Hold my Breath (c)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Ishtar

Ishtar

Characters : Tallshadow, Daisyfang, Cricketpaw
Clan/Rank : (T)WindClan Warrior[T3] (D)WindClan MC[T1] (C)SkyClan Apprentice
Number of posts : 310

I Make a Wish and Hold my Breath (c) Empty
PostSubject: I Make a Wish and Hold my Breath (c)   I Make a Wish and Hold my Breath (c) EmptySun 28 Jan 2024 - 23:35

Cricketpaw slunk into the makeshift warrior’s den, quick and light on her silent paws. She made no sound in the snow as she turned her intense mis-matched eyes on Stoatclaw. The tom was still sleeping. The den was empty as the sun bathed the space in light. SkyClan had stopped late the night before, and they were waiting until the temperatures rose a bit before moving on. The matted space beside him was still warm, as if the nests other occupant had left only moments ago. He was vulnerable here. Cricketpaw crouched by his nest, watching the steady rise and fall of his flanks, the gentle bob of his pale white throat. He looked terrifying too, muscular, with the skills and prowess to snap her neck if he wanted. It was tempting, maybe she should press her advantage right now. Take an eye, take both of his eyes, so he couldn’t hurt her.

She reached out perfectly white paw towards him, raised and ready for a strike. Protect herself first, but the thought of his blood on her paws made the apprentice gag. She couldn’t stomach the thought of hurting a clanmate, at least, not one who hadn’t threatened her. Her suspicion laid heavy in her gut. He could hurt her. He could hurt her so easily, it’d be over in a second, and she would be powerless to stop it. But Stoatclaw hadn't hurt her yet, and the same things that made him dangerous could also keep her safe, if she played her cards right. Cricketpaw wouldn’t strike first. Not now, not so soon. She needed to give him a chance. She needed his favor first. Analyze what made him tick, where she could wiggle in, where she could be safe. She would do anything to protect herself.

Cricketpaw poked the warrior in the shoulder, and then immediately fled to the entrance of the den in case he was mad about her waking him up and took a swing at her. “S-stoatclaw.” She said, so softly it was almost lost in the warm hush of the den. “You said we’d train today.” She softened the skittering fearful glance of her eyes. Helpless. Look helpless, not frantic, not calculating. Look too pitiful to be worth striking, too soft and easy on the eyes to snuff out. Make him hesitate to react with anger. Soften the sting of a mistake.

Her wide blue and green eyes shifted from apprehensive to a fragile curiosity, all gentle and shining in her pale face. “I’m sorry I woke you up.” She added quietly, ducking her head in apology, but one ear still flicked toward him, listening intently for signs of movement that would signal an attack. The fluffy she-cat held her body close to the ground, every muscle coiled so tightly she almost trembled. It was obvious she was ready to flee at the first whisper breath of danger.

Rank up:
Back to top Go down
Romantica
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Romantica

Characters : Sablestrike T5 Deputy (Shadowclan), Stoatclaw T3 Warrior (Skyclan), Alethea T1 (Rogue), Oakpaw [Perma-NPC] (Windclan), Willowkit (Shadowclan)
Number of posts : 1261

PostSubject: Re: I Make a Wish and Hold my Breath (c)   I Make a Wish and Hold my Breath (c) EmptyMon 29 Jan 2024 - 8:26

The tom had noticed the lack of warmth beside him where Lighttail should have been. Her missing presence had robbed him of his peaceful rest, though his eyes remained shut. Skyclan, even if it was relegated to this snowy wasteland for now, was still new to her. He feared that trying to be by her side every moment of every day would not only suffocate her but also make her feel as if he distrusted her in some way. He would give Lighttail her space for now. Sleep, just a bit longer. Stoatclaw was on the cusp of sleep as a paw prodded him, followed by shuffling in the snow. Opening a single eyelid the tom stared at the form hovering in front of the den's entrance.

"Cricketpaw?" Stars right! He had another apprentice now. The young molly's tone was hushed to the point that Stoatclaw could barely make out the words, but he got the gist of it. "Right, right." The tom took a moment to study Cricketpaw before stretching out of his nest. He had assumed the two of them were alike in some aspects, but it seemed her fear of her clanmates was worse than his had been. No matter, he still had a goal in mind for Cricketpaw that he would achieve whether she ended up trusting him or not.

Padding toward the apprentice and out of the den Stoatclaw waved his tail dismissively. "Don't worry about it, if anything I should be thanking you. I'd have probably slept through the day if not for you." Giving himself a good shake the tom scanned their campsite for the familiar silver pelt of his mate. Stoatclaw gave the molly a smile before turning back to his shrinking apprentice. He had wanted to teach her how to fight, but stars she looked so... Helpless. It would be cruel to start her off with a spar right away, perhaps they could take things slow until they returned to the forest. A flick of his tail beckoned the molly to follow as he began leading their way out of the campsite, glancing back every now and then to make sure she was indeed following him.

White paws slowed their pace as the two ventured into the mountains, close enough to see the camp in case Wolfblossom or Birdstar called for them to assemble for the trek back to the forest. "Alright, show me how you'd stalk prey. We'll start with that first and work on your basics, then if we have time and if the stars will it, we'll try to find some prey." For some reason the way Cricketpaw regarded him made Stoatclaw feel like a monster simply for existing. It was odd, really, but he could understand that feeling.

MORE ART!!:
Art By Kiikko! (@Kikkoman on Twitter)

I Make a Wish and Hold my Breath (c) Output12                   I Make a Wish and Hold my Breath (c) Output10                          I Make a Wish and Hold my Breath (c) Output11
Pixel Art by Aspen!

Back to top Go down
Ishtar

Ishtar

PostSubject: Re: I Make a Wish and Hold my Breath (c)   I Make a Wish and Hold my Breath (c) EmptyMon 29 Jan 2024 - 19:28

Cricketpaw saw one beady amber eye turn on her, and her heart stopped. For a terribly long moment she froze, scarcely daring to breathe, but no blows came raining down on her. There was no flash of fangs in the dark. She stayed where she was, defensively crouched against the ground until the warrior passed her. She slipped from her stance and followed behind Stoatclaw on silent paws like a too-small shadow. Her ears flicked back briefly as she tried to find the hidden meaning under her mentor’s words. Was sleeping through the day what he wanted to do? He didn’t seem too upset, so maybe she hadn’t messed up. Was he just being polite? It was impossible to tell. She let the relief ease the flighty throbbing of her pulse. She had managed to navigate that hurdle without incident. Keep calm, keep cool, listen, watch, stay on your toes. Her strange mis-matched gaze followed the tom’s as he smiled at a pretty she-cat. Her eyes narrowed slightly. She would remember that. Competition, but also a weakness. Another path into her mentor’s good graces would be befriending that molly. It would be a task for later.

The familiar suffocating shroud was descending on her again as she obediently followed the tabby farther and farther from camp. Where were they going? He wouldn’t try and off her so soon, right? She hadn’t even messed up yet. Maybe he was angry about being woken up. Finally, they stopped. Cricketpaw let out a quiet breath of relief, only to immediately flinch when her mentor rounded on her. Her eyes darted back towards camp, she was smaller and weaker than the tabby warrior, but maybe she could outrun him, or try to hide in the snow? Could she scream loud enough to alert the rest of SkyClan below if he went for her throat right now? But when he spoke he didn’t sound angry. A hunting crouch. She could do that. She could definitely do that. Do it right. Make him proud of you. Don’t let your guard slip.

Her front paws trembled slightly as another roaring wave of anxiety crashed over her. What if she was too good? Then he would know her strengths. Was that a good thing or a bad thing? How much should she give away? The fluffy apprentice nodded once, trying to find some calm in the sting of the frozen ground against her pads. Too soon to tell. Be honest for now, and see what happens. She spent so much time slinking around it was easy to fall into a balanced stalk, one white paw silent against the snow, then a brown paw. Her back feet followed, her fluffy tail held perfectly still so it didn’t brush the ground. She flattened her ears back to her skull, and tucked her shoulders back, freezing in her form to turn her head and look up to Stoatclaw. At least he hadn’t tried to ambush her while she was focusing on getting it right.

“Is this good enough?” Cricketpaw asked softly, and braced her muscles in case he took a harsh approach to fixing her stance. Surely he dragged her all the way out here so the rest of the clan wouldn’t judge his training methods. It made perfect sense. She was more than happy to endure that then constantly check over her shoulder for a death-bite. Afterall, bruises could heal, she could survive that.

Rank up:
Back to top Go down
Romantica
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Romantica

Characters : Sablestrike T5 Deputy (Shadowclan), Stoatclaw T3 Warrior (Skyclan), Alethea T1 (Rogue), Oakpaw [Perma-NPC] (Windclan), Willowkit (Shadowclan)

PostSubject: Re: I Make a Wish and Hold my Breath (c)   I Make a Wish and Hold my Breath (c) EmptyWed 31 Jan 2024 - 9:45

The young molly before him was leaking anxiety like a blood from an undressed wound. It was incredibly disheartening to watch her throw glances at the camp as if she felt unsafe with him, which he knew she did. It had taken him a long time to warm up to his clanmates, and even then he only really trusted Wolfblossom. How long would it take for Cricketpaw to feel safe around him?

Stoatclaw blinked. He knew kits usually emulated hunts with bugs or balls of moss, but Cricketpaw was leaps ahead of what he had expected. What sat in front of the tom was an unpracticed molly that had found a near perfect hunting stance. Whether that was the product of moons of play hunting or not he didn't really care, it only meant they could advance through this lesson quicker. "Your stance is really something Cricketpaw. Good work. If anything I'd say-" The tom lifted a white paw instinctively to fix the molly's posture, but the response that had elicited from her made him think twice. "Just... Make sure you don't let your belly rub the floor. Some prey can feel your movements through the earth, and it makes a lot of unnecessary sound. It's not something you have to worry about too much when we get back to the forest, but for now it is." Stars, when they got back he'd have to teach her how to hunt from the trees too, wouldn't he? That at least was fun, Stoatclaw was sure she'd enjoy that.

"I had expected to take a lot longer to teach you a proper stance, but it seems you're a natural-born hunter. Why don't you try testing your stalk on something?" The tom threw his head in the opposite direction of camp, pointing with his nose to an outcropping of rocks. "Oh, and don't forget to watch your step. One slight mistake could lead your prey to finding out it's not alone... And make sure to stay downwind of your prey. That way they won't be able to scent you, but you can scent them. I'll wait here for you, don't wander off too far." Stoatclaw took a step back from the molly, giving her a tiny nod of encouragement as he left her loose herself upon the mountain. He didn't think they would encounter a predator this far in, but he would stick close by just in case things went awry.

MORE ART!!:

I Make a Wish and Hold my Breath (c) Output12                   I Make a Wish and Hold my Breath (c) Output10                          I Make a Wish and Hold my Breath (c) Output11
Pixel Art by Aspen!

Back to top Go down
Ishtar

Ishtar

PostSubject: Re: I Make a Wish and Hold my Breath (c)   I Make a Wish and Hold my Breath (c) EmptySat 3 Feb 2024 - 16:43

Cricketpaw felt that familiar jab of satisfaction click into place in her chest. Stoatclaw was impressed with her. It thawed the icy grip of her suspicion just a bit. She could sing this song. She could sing it well, and her mentor wouldn’t cast her aside or leave her to the wills of strangers. He would not skin her alive if she was useful. She met his amber gaze, softening her own with hesitant joy. There, not too fast, not too strong. She flicked one ear forward and ducked her head a little, like she was embarrassed.

“Th-thank you.” She said softly, almost to the ground. She nodded once, casting a wary glance at the terrain beyond. Her paws longed to sprint away from here and return to the comfort of her littermates. But she needed Stoatclaw. She needed to make him feel fulfilled, like he had achieved something. She needed to be his shining prodigy, a warrior made from a timid, unlikely prospect. She would sing his praises as a mentor, and he would protect her. “I’ll do my best.” She said, a flicker of determination flashing across her features.

Cricketpaw slunk off into the snow, her brown and white pelt vanishing into the whirl of rock and snow. Every ounce of her body was carefully controlled, nothing slipped. She was a ghost passing through, bringing easy death with her bright teeth. Out of the watchful gaze of her mentor, the molly sighed quietly in relief, a single breath out her nose, and then she was zeroed in on the hunt. Her claws ached to bring him something back. A prize. A boon. A step towards his praise and protection. A sleek bird stood out like a small void against the sheer whiteness of the snow. A crow? Or a raven? Either way, it was hers. Cricetpaw dropped into a silent stalk, one careful paw step at a time. Her heart was so quiet and slow it may as well be stopped. The calmness that descended was eerie, every small movement dripped in the savage grace of a predator. And then she leapt, casting a shadow that hung like death over the snow.

The raven had time for one alarmed cry, and then her teeth sunk into the back of its neck, snapping clean through its fragile spine. She shook it savagely, her blood rushing against her ears in a triumphant roar. She dropped it in the snow, licking the blood from the white of her muzzle. Its glassy eyes stared up at her, and she smiled back. Too bad for the poor bird, but such was the world. You either die quick or die slow. At least this bird died quickly. She scooped up her catch, leaving a vibrant splash of red and a few black feathers behind. She came trotting back to Stoatclaw, nearly tripping over the massive bird as its limp wings dragged on the ground. She couldn’t hide the pleased look on her face as she looked up at her mentor, looking a little silly with her strange mismatched eyes and the sleek black body of the bird hanging from her jaws.
---------------------------------------------------------

Cricketpaw attempted to catch a bird, costing 5sp
She was successful!

Rank up:

Last edited by Ishtar on Sat 3 Feb 2024 - 16:53; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mistpelt

Mistpelt

Characters : Mistpelt
Clan/Rank : RiverClanWarrior
Pisces Dog
Number of posts : 15106

PostSubject: Re: I Make a Wish and Hold my Breath (c)   I Make a Wish and Hold my Breath (c) EmptySat 3 Feb 2024 - 16:43

The member 'Ishtar' has done the following action : Dice roll

'Hunting Dice' : 1

I Make a Wish and Hold my Breath (c) Mistpe10
I Make a Wish and Hold my Breath (c) Sig2
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/profile?user=xxxmuffinheadxxx
Romantica
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Romantica

PostSubject: Re: I Make a Wish and Hold my Breath (c)   I Make a Wish and Hold my Breath (c) EmptyThu 22 Feb 2024 - 23:38

OOC: My gosh I forgot about this topic, I'm so sorry ;-;

Stoatclaw fought his paws to stay planted firmly where they were as Cricketpaw padded off, calling out a warning to be careful as she disappeared from view. Sticking close to her would only make her more wary of him, he could wait for her. Somewhere off in the distance the tom heard a cry, and moments later Cricketpaw was padding back with a giant bird hanging out of her mouth. He couldn't help but crack a smile as the apprentice walked, clearly having some trouble with not stepping over the wings. "That's amazing, Cricketpaw! It's not easy to find something this big in the middle of Leaf-Bare, good work!"

Just as the tom was about to take the prey from her, he heard a cry from below. Wolfblossom seemed to be gathering Skyclan to move, which meant their lesson was going to be cut short. He doubted Cricketpaw needed the lessons, though he would have liked to see how he stalked real prey. Oh well, they'd have time for things like that when they returned to the forest. "C'mon, we gotta get going." Stoatclaw took a few steps towards the clan before pausing. He wouldn't take the bird from her, but if she asked for his help he would offer it.

MORE ART!!:

Pixel Art by Aspen!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I Make a Wish and Hold my Breath (c)   I Make a Wish and Hold my Breath (c) Empty

Back to top Go down

I Make a Wish and Hold my Breath (c)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Warrior Clan Cats :: Areas of the Forest :: Starfall Territory-
Jump to: