Warrior Clan Cats

The future's in your paws. Shape it well.

Roleplay in a cat Clan of warriors. Based off the Warriors series by Erin Hunter. Takes place in an AU before the cats in the books existed.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome to WCC! Here are our latest announcements:
Activity checks take place on the 1st of the month. PM a staff member with the completed form if you missed it.
Newleaf is finally here, and the Clans hope to find reprieve from the tough Leaf-bare.
Gatherings take place on the 1st of the month; keep your eyes out for a staff member's post!
Please feel free to hit up any staff member if you have any questions!

conferring breath [closed]

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Kitty
Former Staff
Former Staff
Kitty

Characters : Murkyriver ♀ | Mistwalker ♀ | Mintglade ♀ | Crakeburn ♀ | Snowvixen ♀ | Hollowpaw ♀
Clan/Rank : Riverclan | Skyclan | Windclan
Sagittarius Horse
Number of posts : 4939

conferring breath [closed] Empty
PostSubject: conferring breath [closed]   conferring breath [closed] EmptyFri May 05, 2023 9:01 am

Mottlestar
“May the stars light our paths.”

To say the events of the gathering had weighed down upon Mottlestar was an understatement. Considering it had literally taken one of her lives, the way it had clamped down on her heart and mind was no small act. She had done her best to continue to act as the loving leader that Thunderclan had always known, guiding them when necessary. But she took an air of apology around her, the thrum of it beating like a somber warcry in her chest. Should any of her Clanmates come and confront her about it, she gave them the honest truth. They could react how they willed.

She knew she needed to call a Clan meeting to settle it once and for all. But to say tensions were high within Thunderclan... it was not time. Too much was going on within their borders to properly be able to handle the situation, but for once, Mottlestar had no clue if it was better to put it off or brunt the worst of the storm.

Part of that, though, was telling the truth to those impacted the most. Her kits. Her kin. Firefly had disappeared, the anger the russet-ticked molly had sent her way still waking the leader in the night. Murkyripple had made herself even more scarce than usual, though she still saw the warrior around on a very rare occasion. Rosepaw... she had no clue what had come of her rambunctious kit, but there was a sinking feeling in her gut. Turtlepaw had stayed in camp, and she had already been told of it all by her sister, it seemed. All that was left was her son.

Her only son of that litter. Thrushpaw.

He'd taken his trip to the moonstone, and he had certainly earned his name. But before he did, Mottlestar felt the urge to talk to him. She approached the dilute-patterned tom, her body much more humble than that of a leader about to give an order. "Thrushpaw... come on a walk with me?" Be it duties or life, she didn't get the chance to talk to her son nearly as much as she would have liked. But that didn't mean she didn't care about him any less. Her ears flattened slightly against her head, which hung low. "After everything... I owe you an explanation. And answers." It was a request. One that very easily could've been scoffed at, turned away, and denied. But if he said yes? She'd tell him everything. After all, it was his own origins, too, that came into play.

code by kiiko • edited by kitty

MurkyriverMintgladeCrakeburnSnowvixenMistwalkerHollowpaw
Back to top Go down
Arcana

Arcana

Characters : [F]awnshine, [Fe]nnelbreeze, [T]hrushnose, [H]arrierpaw
Cancer Buffalo
Number of posts : 1477

PostSubject: Re: conferring breath [closed]   conferring breath [closed] EmptyFri May 05, 2023 9:24 am

thrushpaw

After what he had learned from Badgermask, as well as gathering his own thoughts since the Gathering, Thrushpaw figured it was best he did not jump to conclusions too quickly. The most confusing of all was Fawnshine, however. She was their medicine cat, was she not? So why had even she not been able to predict such events? He had wished, perhaps, that she would tell him something along the way to the Moonstone journey and back, but he was too lost in thought for it. Guilt weighed him down, and he blamed himself for his mother not trusting him, or his siblings enough to tell of such truths. It was code-breaking, sure, but he was her son. It was only right he had the right to know.

His trail of thoughts was snapped short when his mother approached him, her tired figure being much in contrast to her usual confident, leader-like one. She is only just another cat, he thought to himself, Be under too much pressure, and one would break. It was something so easy to realize that even a kit could come to a conclusion itself, but Thrushpaw had only just come to the conclusion now. Mottlestar was still his mother—a noble warrior before she became their leader, one who had come to grow from being an inexperienced apprentice, and kit just like he was before. The thought was a bit comforting, yet shattering at the same time, to know they didn't have so many differences as he thought. She had always been his model figure—a dependable, strong mother, and leader the clan could rely on.

"Yes, you do," Thrushpaw spoke softly, yet his voice held a hint of firmness in it as if he had already been expecting an explanation. If it were Firefly, Rosepaw, or any of his other siblings, he believed they would've easily scoffed at her and turned her away. But despite all of it, he still was empathic. He wished not to say any of his thoughts too soon, and so he rose, following Mottlestar to wherever he intended to lead him.

Thrushnose │ ThunderClan │ Tier V Warrior │ 70HP / 160SP │ #7b675d
Fennelbreeze │ WindClan │ Tier IV Warrior│ 60HP / 140SP │ #88ab84
Fawnshine │ ThunderClan │ T4 Classic MC │ 25HP / 60SP │ #d1bea8
Harrierpaw (not pictured)│ SkyClan │ Apprentice │ 20HP / 60SP │ #944c3e

Art Requests │ ​Character ProfilesHeart Chart
Back to top Go down
Kitty
Former Staff
Former Staff
Kitty

Characters : Murkyriver ♀ | Mistwalker ♀ | Mintglade ♀ | Crakeburn ♀ | Snowvixen ♀ | Hollowpaw ♀
Sagittarius Horse

PostSubject: Re: conferring breath [closed]   conferring breath [closed] EmptyFri May 05, 2023 9:47 am

Mottlestar

A breath that she hadn't even realized that she was holding was released as Thrushpaw accepted her invitation to accompany her. The leader dipped her head, quite deeply, before gently using her head to gesture towards the direction they would begin going. Any cat who had been close to Mottlestar likely knew exactly where they would be going, as it wasn't much of a secret that the tortoiseshell had grown to prefer the Owl Tree as her place to have hard conversations. To the molly, it was simply a close, intimate location. It meant family, and it meant that the truth could be spoken. That it would be spoken there.

Where would she even begin? It was much harder to decide when the cat she accompanied wasn't grilling her with questions. But in one way, perhaps that was easier. She had no desire to spin this narrative in favor of her, or in one way or another. She just... didn't know how to spill the truth as they walked through the territory, on a familiar path she could take even should her vision fail her. "I never meant to keep it from the Clan, I truly didn't. I- I'm sure the whole forest knows by now that I lost one of my lives at the Gathering. My second one. But even I didn't know what truly had happened until I had lost my first life." Perhaps not the best place to start, but it was one.

"Nightstar and I... we never had a true romance. Minnowsta- Minnowfin was the tom I truly loved. The one I would give all of my lives for, time and time again. He was leader, just before I was. But he had fallen ill, and one night... that was it. He vanished, no trace, only to be presumed dead... leaving me to become leader in his paws." Talking about her lost mate hurt, it hurt her chest just as much as the wounds that came from each loss of her children did. "It was when I went to get my lives and just after that it seemed I wasn't the only one who was that night. Nightstar had just earned his lives as well... and perhaps it was the first test of the Stars of our resolve. We made our trips home together, and that was the first and only time I ever spent any time with Shadowclan's leader." She didn't hold any real love in her heart for him, and if anything, she'd always view the time as a shattering moment of weakness.

The owl tree soon enough came into view, and part of her felt heavier and lighter all at once. "When I later found out I was expecting another litter of kits... there was no reason for me not to believe they were Minnow's. The timing, all of it... I had no idea, I didn't even think that Nightstar could've been it. I- I didn't even know." Her body hung in defeat. Pure defeat, pure anger at herself, a feeling of deep stupidity, if anything. "But when that precious litter of kits came, five, darling kits... I still had no reason to think Minnowfin wasn't the father. Five precious, lovely souls. Firekit, Murkykit, Rosekit, Turtlekit, and... Thrushkit. I raised you all under a truth I had sworn by, and it wasn't until I lost my first life that one of my first children came to me to spit in my face for what I had done."

At that moment, they had reached the tree, and Mottlestar had sat. Heavy-hearted, heavy in the soul. Weary. "Murkyripple and Firefly had already earned their warrior names by the time I found out, Thrushpaw. I'm so, so sorry to keep this from you all. I didn't know what to do once I found out, and then Batsong appeared to confront me about the prophecy. I told her to leave Thunderclan out of it. It wasn't her business. But... here we are and... Thrushpaw, I am sorry." Tears began to well down the leader's cheeks, her head hung in embarrassment.

"Whatever questions you have... ask, and I will answer. You deserve to know everything, and have a right as my son and my clanmate. I hope you can forgive me. Not today, not tomorrow, but... some day."

Back to top Go down
Arcana

Arcana

Cancer Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: conferring breath [closed]   conferring breath [closed] EmptySat May 06, 2023 10:01 am

thrushpaw

"You had lost your what?" Thrushpaw paused in the midst of his steps, ears flattening in horror at the news. He had been so occupied in attempting to call back Firefly when chaos had happened, he had only caught sight of his clanmates assisting his mother back to camp afterward. He didn't what caused her to lose another life, nor did he know how she lost it, but it pained him to hear such a thing. And the guilt only furthered onto him as he heard her story. "Oh, mother..."

Shaking his head, he walked beside her again, processing each thought that went through his head along with the information provided by his mother. So Minnowfin's not my father. The realization came all too late, leaving a bitter taste in his throat as he heard the news. The initial shock that arose in him in the Gathering came once again, growing stronger each time Mottlestar introduced something new. "So... My father is in fact, Nightstar?" It hurt, knowing that his mother was dishonest to him and his siblings. But through her explanation, it didn't seem as if she knew, either.

Thrushpaw pressed his maw against the soft fur of her neck, purring softly to soothe her emotions. To say he felt conflicted about his identity would be an understatement—but he figured Mottlestar didn't need to know that. She had handled enough on her own, and gone through much more pressure than any cat could handle. She was a fantastic warrior, mother, and leader at the same time. He couldn't blame anything on her love for him and his siblings. He never once doubted it, even in such moments.

"I'm sorry to hear that Minnowfin hasn't returned, Mom. I just... I always thought... I'd never been a half-clan cat," He muttered weakly, his whiskers drooping as he spoke. When they had reached the Owl Tree, the tom sat beside her, resting his head gently atop her own. At the mention of Batsong, his fur bristled with spite. He pulled back with slight scorn, his expression frustrated in a way that could be so naturally understood; especially by Mottlestar, out of anyone. "That wasn't your fault. You were just—Nightstar took
advantage of you. And Batsong, that wasn't her place to talk, either, even if she was a medicine cat! She scorned you in front of the entire five clans! She could've at least talked to you and Nightstar alone or something, I don't get why she had to scream out to the entire forest about it."

Thrushpaw held back a hiss, his tail lashing at the mere thought of the memory. "Even if it wasn't directly her fault, she still caused you enough backlash to make you lose a life. If that isn't serious, I don't know what is. I don't know why StarClan didn't intervene," He sighed, his gaze softening to a look of empathy again. "Even if you don't believe it, I know what my sisters and our clanmates said was true. You are by far, the best leader ThunderClan has ever seen. And even if it may be a little biased, since you're my mother, but... If Comfreyheart and Fawnshine had already said so, then I believe everyone else thinks the same."

Thrushpaw allowed a brief moment of silence so that Mottlestar could reply, his fur flattening again. Maybe it was out of his place to criticize a medicine cat, but it was clear from the chaos that her words elicited from the clans proved that he was correct, at least in some part of the context. "It may be too soon for me to say this now, but even if Firefly doesn't forgive you... I do. I still see you as my mother, a leader, and an honorable cat. My sisters won't take it easy for sure, but I know this is harder on you than anyone else."

He leaned forward to offer a comforting lick on her ear, his heart aching at the sight of the tears she had shed. "There's just something else I want to ask. Not all that related, but... Firefly and I have talked about this before. Why haven't I gotten my warrior name yet? I mean, I don't think Eveningmoon is as strict as Darkspirit could be, and he trains me well. Is there another reason?"

Back to top Go down
Kitty
Former Staff
Former Staff
Kitty

Sagittarius Horse

PostSubject: Re: conferring breath [closed]   conferring breath [closed] EmptyFri May 12, 2023 9:15 am

Mottlestar

Mottlestar gave a nod. A very slow, deep nod, but it was a nod nevertheless, confirming Thrushpaw's thoughts about his father. She let the tom work through his own emotions as best as she could, only ever gently pressing her head atop his own when the timing finally felt right. As much as it hurt, as much as she hadn't spent nearly as much time with her son as she should have... she was still his mother and leader. Her own emotions were calming, tears drying from the way she bore her heart bare.

The fact that he didn't seem to call for her to cull another cat in turn only calmed her further. Out of her most recent litter, Thrushpaw and Turtlepaw were easily the most demure. Thrushpaw the most level-headed of them all, and as his question was voiced, Mottlestar could only find herself asking the same thing. Why hadn't her son been made a warrior yet?

"I typically ask mentors to come to me when they feel their apprentice is ready - but Eveningmoon has never had the time to stop me to chat. Nor have I really been in a good place to be stopped, because of all going on in the territory. I know Fawnshine took you on your moonstone journey recently. However..." The tortoiseshell paused, lifting her head to look at her son with a kind smile. "You have more than proved to me now that you are ready. Tell you what, Thrushpaw... What if you were to pick your name? What do you believe your warrior name should be?" It was usually whatever the stars spoke to her in that moment that she decided upon for the newest clanmates receiving their names, or something that their mentors had slipped to her during that brief conversation.

"Whatever you decide... we'll have your ceremony tonight."

Back to top Go down
Arcana

Arcana

Cancer Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: conferring breath [closed]   conferring breath [closed] EmptyFri May 12, 2023 10:04 pm

thrushpaw

"You have more than proved to me now that you are ready. Tell you what, Thrushpaw... What if you were to pick your name? What do you believe your warrior name should be?"

The suggestion caught him by surprise, though a pleasant one. Thrushpaw hadn't really thought about it before; he'd always assumed that the leader or the mentor of the to-be-named apprentice would be the one in charge of granting them a new name, but she was right. What if he did get to choose his own name? Mottlestar was allowing him the choice now, yet his mind was empty. It wasn't easy to think of a fitting name all of a sudden, that was for sure, though he was the one holding his own fate in his paws now. It made him feel special, in a way, that his mother has trusted him that much with deciding his warrior name. Even if she didn't, however, he would be pleased with whatever decision she chose.

"It's my choice to make now, huh?" He mused, returning his mother's kind smile with a warm one of his own. Thrushpaw took a while to think of the possible combinations that would work for his name, ones that would fit, and the others that would not. After a few more seconds of thought, he nodded, speaking up with a smile. "There's 'Thrushcall' and 'Thrushflight' that I've been thinking of—they might work accordingly, with my prefix as 'Thrush', the bird. Or perhaps, 'Thrushsoul', I think that also has a meaningful energy to it." The tom paused again, thinking to himself. The names he has listed above sounded beautiful, but they weren't quite... him, he felt.

"Actually, no. How about... 'Thrushnose'?" The name sounded simple, yet endearing to him, popping up in his mind the moment he compared it with the other names. "What do you think?"

Back to top Go down
Kitty
Former Staff
Former Staff
Kitty

Sagittarius Horse

PostSubject: Re: conferring breath [closed]   conferring breath [closed] EmptyThu Jun 08, 2023 10:03 am

Mottlestar

As Mottlestar listened, the names floated within her mind. Each of them seemed to fit him, especially as he spoke. But something about them... There was better. She knew, deep down, that there was better. Each name he spoke, that smile stayed on her maw, a simple dip of her head at each suggestion. The leader herself didn't want to bring him to a decision on a name, it was his own to choose. It seemed to the motherly molly that he shared that sentiment, as she could see it in the way his features didn't seem particularly smitten with those names. Of course, he didn't have to be obviously tail-over-paws for it, but there was a look. A look that she knew when they felt connected to their warrior name, as well as the look of disdain when it didn't match them.

However, the moment he mentioned that name... Thrushnose.

Memories surged to the molly of the mentor who had done so much for her Clan. Had left her son, Stoatstar, the leader, in search of an herb to help cure an illness that seemed to rage against the Clans. Had come back just in time to provide her training that was so critically meaningful, it had stuck with her forever. Unknowingly, even, Mottlestar had named her very son after that molly. Tears instantly seemed to burn at her gaze at the very mention, and such a heart-felt smile now graced the tortoiseshell's features.

"Did you know... Thrushnose was my mentors name?" Mottlestar began. Lest it seem like she was going to dissuade her son from the use of that name as she mentioned it, she nosed him closer. "Thrushnose was a dedicated, kind-hearted warrior to Thunderclan. She was Stoatstar's mother, who was leader before Minnowfin. Who, as I'm sure you've heard, was leader just before me. She even left Thunderclan in search of an herb that Starclan gave a prophecy about, but they had no true way to know if they were searching for the right herb or not, if my memory tells me right. She was the one who taught me what it was like to have a mother... and how to be a mother to even some of the toughest kits." Her yellow eyes seemed to dance with the fondness of the memories, glazing just slightly as she seemed to be looking at some far-away place. Detaching herself from the present, purely so she could place herself completely in the past.

That look wouldn't last long, though, as she turned back to her son and placed her nose atop his head. "I think, you are more than deserving of her name. To carry on her legacy. Because Thrushnose, you hold her heart, and I know she would be proud of you."

Should there be any remaining doubts, Mottlestar would give a warm purr. "You are the only cat I could think of who could ever fill her pawsteps. I would be honored to pass her name onto you, my son."

Back to top Go down
Arcana

Arcana

Cancer Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: conferring breath [closed]   conferring breath [closed] EmptyMon Jun 12, 2023 10:13 am

thrushpaw

Pride surged in Thrushpaw's chest after Mottlestar had finished speaking, allowing himself to sink into the realization of just how dear the name he'd chosen out in a variety of options had carried such a deep meaning to her. He didn't know at all he'd be entrusted to live up to such a name. It was almost a frightening thought at first, to have to remain as noble as someone like her once he would have earned his full warrior name. A mother of a leader for generations after to live on, and take over. Would I ever be so deserving to take after such a name?

Yet the moment his mother's nose rested atop his head, all the doubt that had been swirling in his mind diminished, as if suddenly blessed by the stars for his head to be ensured of his fate. He caught sight of her tear-stained eyes, motherly smile, and soft purr. If anything, she thought Mottlestar was incredibly fortunate to have gotten to be mentored by such a she-cat. And, he vowed silently to himself that he would not disappoint her. After all, this was such a grand thing. How could he take it lightly?

"You are the only cat I could think of who could ever fill her pawsteps. I would be honored to pass her name onto you, my son."

With the warmest purr he can muster back to his mother, the apprentice leaned forward to nuzzle into the comforting warmth of the she-cat's neck, resting his head on her shoulder. He had to lean down a bit in order to do so, but he paid no mind to it if he could return her affection. "Thank you, mother." He paused, for just a few seconds more. "I love you."

That was his own way of saying he won't disappoint her.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: conferring breath [closed]   conferring breath [closed] Empty

Back to top Go down

conferring breath [closed]
Page 1 of 1