Warrior Clan Cats

The future's in your paws. Shape it well.

Roleplay in a cat Clan of warriors. Based off the Warriors series by Erin Hunter. Takes place in an AU before the cats in the books existed.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome to WCC! Here are our latest announcements:
Activity checks take place on the 1st of the month. PM a staff member with the completed form if you missed it.
Newleaf is finally here, and the Clans hope to find reprieve from the tough Leaf-bare.
Gatherings take place on the 1st of the month; keep your eyes out for a staff member's post!
Please feel free to hit up any staff member if you have any questions!

Time to Shine [Training]

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
GravisCordis

GravisCordis

Characters : [N]ectarflower ; [H]emlockfox ; [W]iggleworm ; [F]irepaw ; [S]piderkit
Clan/Rank : [N] T5 WC Warrior ; [H] T2 WC MC ; [W] T2 TC Warrior ; [F] SkC Apprentice ; [S] SC Kit
Number of posts : 691

Time to Shine [Training] Empty
PostSubject: Time to Shine [Training]   Time to Shine [Training] EmptyFri 9 Feb 2024 - 0:33

Nectarflower

Nectarflower's tail swayed calmly behind her as she led Larchpaw out of the camp for the very first time. It was nice to have an apprentice again and, this time, she wouldn't be preoccupied with being an expecting queen or have to worry about trekking across mountains. Grinning, she turned to look at Larchpaw as they walked, and gestured to the open plains of WindClan's territory. It was mid-afternoon now, but despite that, snow clung stubbornly to life, weighing heavily on swathes of heather and gorse. Luckily, it was a clear day out...unluckily, the uninterrupted sunlight reflected almost painfully bright against the glittering snow.

Regardless, the moor was beautiful, as always. "So, Larchpaw, welcome to your first day as an apprentice" She trotted through the fluffy layer of snow, grateful that it was powdery today and not even the least bit icy. "I hope it lives up to your expectations." She added. "This is just the beginning of our territory, just wait til you see the rest of it. I mean, I've loved the moor ever since I laid eyes on it myself." Most Windclan cats seemed to, that is.

However, that wasn't the purpose of their training today. Larchpaw wouldn't always have other cats around to protect him so, first and foremost, she wanted him to learn the basics in self-defense. That way, if they ever came across a fox or hostile rogue, he wouldn't be completely helpless. Sootstorm had focused primarily on battle training when she was his apprentice because of the war with Shadowclan. There was no such threat to WindClan currently, but things could change in a heartbeat - the past several moons had made that very clear. 

"Oh, well, we can discuss that later. Today- " She looked around, content with the selected training grounds, and tipped her head back to smile at Larchpaw. "Today, we'll be focusing on self-defense. There are a lot of dangers that come with being a warrior and I want you to be prepared for whatever obstacle Starclan puts in your path." Eyes bright with excitement, the warrior leaned forward, attention on the tom. "Are you ready?"

Back to top Go down
Ash
Former Staff
Former Staff
Ash

Characters : Living: Perchstar [P], Bubblebeam [B], Dovetail [D], Hedgepaw [H], Larchpaw [L]. Deceased/Missing: Tansyfoot, Turtlepelt, Morning, Longwhisker, Ryestep, Poolmist, Nettletail, Halfmoon, Freckleface, Lionfur, Shimmerheart, Breezewhisker, Honeydrop, Ashstar, Snowpaw, Brushgaze (NPC), Shellwater, Snowblossom, Quailfeather, Gingerstripe, Carat, Redwing, Graybriar, Pricklebush, Appledapple, Flutterpetal, Felix.
Clan/Rank : [P]: RiverClan Leader. [B]: SkyClan T3 Warrior. [D]: RiverClan T3 Warrior. [H]: ShadowClan Apprentice. [L]: WindClan Apprentice.
Cancer Snake
Number of posts : 6714

PostSubject: Re: Time to Shine [Training]   Time to Shine [Training] EmptyFri 9 Feb 2024 - 10:29

Cold wind swept over Larchpaw, ruffling his thick multicolored fur, but he hardly noticed. His eyes were stuck traversing the territory in front of him. Stars, it went on forever, fox-length after fox-length of rolling snow-coated hills and thick clumps of gorse bushes. It was so beautiful. He could just pick a direction and start running and run that direction forever. The only difficult thing was making sure that his steps landed squarely atop the powdery snow, rather than accidentally slipping and falling into it. That would be embarrassing and he had to make a good impression on his first patrol ever! Though he knew Nectarflower was being a bit smug about it, he couldn't help but return her smile with a wide grin of his own. He was intoxicated by the scent of fresh snowfall and moor winds. "It's absolutely stunning," he agreed. "I want to see every inch of it, someday. Though I understand that's not really possible on my first day. I'm just glad to be out here, you know? If I just ran forever in a place like this, I could die happy." A warm shiver ran through him. Life was good.

Nectarflower's words brought him back to the present, though. Self-defense... a good idea. If he ran into some awful rogue or if ShadowClan came to attack them again like in the elders' stories, he wanted to be useful. Larchpaw rolled his shoulders back and flicked one of his pointy ears. Hopefully his mentor would be impressed with his innate prowess! It was just a guess, since he'd never fought besides minor tussles with kits when he was younger, but he had to be good at this. Then she'd definitely think he was worth training. "I was born ready," he declared.

⸙ Larchpaw ⸙ ~ ☆ Perchstar ☆ ~ ♡ Hedgepaw ♡ ~ ◈ Dovetail ◈ ~ ○ Bubblebeam ○
⸙ WindClan ⸙ ~ ☆ RiverClan ☆ ~ ♡ ShadowClan ♡ ~ ◈ RiverClan ◈ ~ ○ SkyClan ○
⸙ Apprentice ⸙ ~ ☆ Tier 5 Leader ☆ ~ ♡ Apprentice ♡ ~ ◈ Tier 3 Warrior ◈ ~ ○ Tier 3 Warrior ○

~~PM me here or on Discord if you want a topic with any of my cats!~~
~Wonderful Signature by Xaandiir!~
Back to top Go down
GravisCordis

GravisCordis

Characters : [N]ectarflower ; [H]emlockfox ; [W]iggleworm ; [F]irepaw ; [S]piderkit
Clan/Rank : [N] T5 WC Warrior ; [H] T2 WC MC ; [W] T2 TC Warrior ; [F] SkC Apprentice ; [S] SC Kit

PostSubject: Re: Time to Shine [Training]   Time to Shine [Training] EmptyFri 9 Feb 2024 - 17:22

Nectarflower

Nectarflower grinned at Larchpaw's reaction. She and nearly every other WindClan apprentice had the very same reaction, no doubt. Something about the vast expanse of the open moor was simply enthralling. The wind in your fur, the endless sky overhead...she didn't see how the other clans could bear to live sheltered away in the woods. Looking across the border, it seemed so dark and cramped with the thick undergrowth and trees that hedged in from all sides.

Flicking her tail, the molly tipped her head, an encouraging twinkle in her eyes. "Don't worry, you'll get to explore every bit soon enough. I promise I'll show you all the best hunting spots next time, maybe, you'll even catch your first rabbit?" She suggested brightly. It wasn't uncommon, actually, for apprentices to make a catch on their first hunting trip. At least, during the warmer moons anyway. Humming, the warrior blinked thoughtfully at Larchpaw for a moment - he reminded her a lot of Tallshadow in some ways.

With a pleased nod, she lowered her body and broadened her stance, spreading her weight evenly across her paws. "Good. Now, I want to teach you how to dodge an attack, alright? Try to watch my body - if you look closely, you'll be able to see when I'm about to strike." Slowly, Nectarflower stalked around Larchpaw, giving him a moment to familiarize himself with her movements. "It's also important to try to figure out where I plan to attack." She continued walking for a few moments, letting her words hang in the air, for Larchpaw to digest. Then, without warning, lunged forward and struck out at Larchpaw's shoulder. 

Nectarflower used Front Paw Blow! -7 HP and -5 SP.

Nectarflower: Mild Illness Debuff
58/60 HP
(-5) 115/140 SP

Larchpaw: 
(-7) 13/20 HP
60/60 SP

Back to top Go down
Ash
Former Staff
Former Staff
Ash

Characters : Living: Perchstar [P], Bubblebeam [B], Dovetail [D], Hedgepaw [H], Larchpaw [L]. Deceased/Missing: Tansyfoot, Turtlepelt, Morning, Longwhisker, Ryestep, Poolmist, Nettletail, Halfmoon, Freckleface, Lionfur, Shimmerheart, Breezewhisker, Honeydrop, Ashstar, Snowpaw, Brushgaze (NPC), Shellwater, Snowblossom, Quailfeather, Gingerstripe, Carat, Redwing, Graybriar, Pricklebush, Appledapple, Flutterpetal, Felix.
Clan/Rank : [P]: RiverClan Leader. [B]: SkyClan T3 Warrior. [D]: RiverClan T3 Warrior. [H]: ShadowClan Apprentice. [L]: WindClan Apprentice.
Cancer Snake

PostSubject: Re: Time to Shine [Training]   Time to Shine [Training] EmptyFri 9 Feb 2024 - 21:14

Larchpaw had to admit that this version of Nectarflower was far more fun to spend time with than when she was keeping them stuck in camp as kits. Not that she'd ever been all that horrible back then either, nowhere near as bad as Elmbreeze at least, but in this context, the light of encouragement in her eyes seemed like an invitation more than a condescension. He responded with his own bright smile, his winningest grin. "Okay! That's a promise. Hunting next time, sparring now. I'll do my best with both." Was he seeming too eager? Oh, hopefully not. Maybe he was supposed to be more hard to please? Well, it was far too late for that now. But Nectarflower seemed to be pleased with him, at least a little bit. So that had to be good, then.

Carefully his golden eyes narrowed, watching her movements. The way that she lowered herself into a crouch was different than the flailing limbs of kit playfighting. She spread her weight so efficiently, and even her tail was a part of the balancing act. His eyes followed her as she walked around, head turning slowly, taking mental notes of how he would mimic it. So she would attack him... and he had to dodge. That didn't sound too difficult. It was just like how Pipitpaw would always lunge for him when they were kits, and he'd have to roll out of the way. Just that--but with real attacks, and full-sized warriors. It was a good thing he'd been watching Nectarflower, because suddenly he saw her muscles tense. That could only mean she was going for an attack. Bristling slightly, Larchpaw forced the idea to move through his brain just in time, rolling quickly out of the way of her paw headed for his shoulder. In fact he'd been paying attention so well that after he got back to his feet, he had just enough extra momentum to reach out and bap her on the shoulder himself. No claws, of course. But it had all been so fast! Panting, feeling adrenaline rush through his veins belatedly, he stood with legs trembling and eyes glowing. "I did it! That was pretty good, right? I got you too!" Stars. He was even better than he thought.

Larchpaw used Dodge-and-Fight, dealing 5 damage and using 7 stamina. Counterattack successful! Damage negated.

Larchpaw:
20/20 HP
53/60 SP

Nectarflower:
53/60 HP
115/140 SP

⸙ Apprentice ⸙ ~ ☆ Tier 5 Leader ☆ ~ ♡ Apprentice ♡ ~ ◈ Tier 3 Warrior ◈ ~ ○ Tier 3 Warrior ○

Last edited by Ash on Fri 9 Feb 2024 - 21:18; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Mistpelt

Mistpelt

Characters : Mistpelt
Clan/Rank : RiverClanWarrior
Pisces Dog
Number of posts : 15032

PostSubject: Re: Time to Shine [Training]   Time to Shine [Training] EmptyFri 9 Feb 2024 - 21:14

The member 'Ash' has done the following action : Dice roll

'Effect Dice' : 6

Time to Shine [Training] Mistpe10
Time to Shine [Training] Sig2
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/profile?user=xxxmuffinheadxxx
GravisCordis

GravisCordis

PostSubject: Re: Time to Shine [Training]   Time to Shine [Training] EmptySat 10 Feb 2024 - 17:51

Nectarflower

Larchpaw's enthusiasm was infectious and Nectarflower couldn't help the wide smile that persisted on her face despite the nature of their training session. It may be important to learn how to protect oneself in a life-or-death situation, but that didn't mean they couldn't have fun with it! Besides, he wasn't nearly as cocky or stubborn as she'd been expecting. Perhaps all of that was just because he'd been bored all cooped up in the camp - she couldn't hold that against him.

It should be easy to train him, what with all of that energy he had. And he seemed pretty eager to learn everything she was willing to teach him, which was always a bonus. That said, it wasn't terribly surprising that he managed to dodge her first attack and even landed a blow of his own.  It reminded her a lot of her first sparring session with Sootstorm - he had begun her battle training with a very similar concept. "Nicely done!" She praised, eyes flicking down to her shoulder where he'd hit her. "You're gonna be a natural, I can tell already."

Tail twitching thoughtfully, the warrior positioned herself further from Larchpaw once more and stood casually in place, her attention fixed on him. "This time, I want you to try to hit me and avoid a counterattack. You have pretty fast reflexes, but try to plan an escape route in your head - some way to get out of reach afterward." She glanced to the side, at the bright snow, then added, "And try to use your surroundings to your advantage."

How he did that was completely up to him, but many cats forgot that fighting wasn't all about brute force or speed. Often, finding other ways to gain the upper paw could be just as important. Stealth, strength, speed, cunning, agility...it was vital to make the most of your skills. Not just in battle, but while hunting too. So, she would wait for Larchpaw to think on it and make his move - rushing him or putting too much pressure on him would do no good at all.

Nectarflower has not attacked this turn!

Nectarflower: Mild Illness Debuff
53/60 HP
115/140 SP

Larchpaw: 
20/20 HP
53/60 SP

Back to top Go down
Ash
Former Staff
Former Staff
Ash

Cancer Snake

PostSubject: Re: Time to Shine [Training]   Time to Shine [Training] EmptySun 11 Feb 2024 - 14:58

Pride glimmered in Larchpaw's golden eyes at his mentor's praise, and he waved his tail in self-satisfaction. It felt so fulfilling to really learn and understand all this stuff. He was going to be a natural. Of course he was. He was going to be the best that anyone had ever seen. All his hard work was going to pay off! The fact that he'd barely begun learning seemed like a minor obstacle to the glory he envisioned for himself. But he blinked hard and went back to paying attention as soon as Nectarflower spoke again. "Avoid a counterattack... fast reflexes... surroundings," he repeated to himself quietly. It was as if she was giving him a puzzle. All the pieces were before him--he just had to figure out an answer.

The apprentice wore a thoughtful expression as he surveyed the area, its rolling fields and long snow-buried grasses, and considered the options. He could just run in and attack, then try to run past her faster than she could attack him, but that seemed risky. Her reach was far greater than his due to her larger size and longer limbs. She could probably smack him before he scampered out of the way. Maybe if he distracted her, though? Or if he attacked from an angle that she couldn't reach him from? Larchpaw circled Nectarflower once, taking in his options. Then he backed away, tilted his head, and finally smiled when he got an idea. Maybe this would work. Maybe he could impress her again. He lowered into a half-pounce, then sprang forward, running at Nectarflower with as much speed as his previous adrenaline granted. Then, he skidded to a stop right in front of her--displacing snow with his paws, right into her face, halting her vision. Quickly he bapped at her shoulder with his paw, then nimbly he ran as far in the other direction as he could before stopping when he was out of her reach. His lungs heaved with effort, but he loved it. Had it worked? Or had she gotten him?

Larchpaw used Front Paw Blow, dealing 4 damage and costing 5 stamina.

Larchpaw:
20/20 HP
48/60 SP

Nectarflower:
49/60 HP
115/140 SP

Back to top Go down
GravisCordis

GravisCordis

PostSubject: Re: Time to Shine [Training]   Time to Shine [Training] EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024 - 13:43

Nectarflower

The satisfaction behind Larchpaw's eyes didn't go unnoticed. It surely felt good to do well during his very first training session, but she'd have to make try to teach him that too much pride could be a bad thing. That sort of training could come later, though. Lessons like that couldn't easily be taught through words alone. Besides, she blinked warmly at the young tom, there wasn't anything inherently wrong with be proud of your own success. Let him bask in it a while longer.

The apprentice muttered something under his breath as he scanned the area, no doubt taking into consideration her advice. It was kind of lucky that his apprenticeship was during leafbare, when snow and harsh weather made training harder. Nothing would come easy, but he would be made stronger for it. Even now, he was circling her, taking in their surroundings and coming up with a plan. Of course, in a real fight, he wouldn't be allowed this time to think, but giving him a chance would let him form those connections faster in the future.

Just as she was beginning to wonder if he would ever attack, Larchpaw lunged at her head-on. She shrank back, shocked by his direct approach, but prepared herself to dodge and retaliate. However, as she tracked his movements, he skidded to a halt all too suddenly, stopping just out of range. She paused, confused for a moment, and hardly had time to respond as a wave of powdery snow flew directly into her face, obscuring her vision. Stars, that was cold! But this was good! She'd been hoping he would come up with something like this!

Blinking rapidly to clear the snow from her eyes, Nectarflower ducked low to the ground in an attempt to avoid whatever blow he'd aimed her way. Most apprentices tried to land blows along flanks or shoulders. It was an easy spot to hit, but also predictable. Once in the clear, she scanned the immediate area until her gaze landed on Larchpaw, who was turning to escape. Rolling back to her paws, Nectarflower lashed out with a sheathed paw, catching Larchpaw's heels. 

He continued to run, though, likely not having registered the blow yet. With a sharp exhale, Nectarflower straightened and shook out her now snow-covered pelt. Despite the fact that she'd landed a blow, he'd displayed exemplary strategic skill. With a purr, she trotted up to him, a grin on her face. "Don't worry about getting hit, you did very well Larchpaw."

Nectarflower used Dodge and Fight! -6 HP and -7 SP.

Nectarflower: Mild Illness Debuff
(+4) 53/60 HP
(-7) 108/140 SP

Larchpaw: 
(-6) 14/20 HP
48/60 SP

Last edited by GravisCordis on Wed 14 Feb 2024 - 14:16; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mistpelt

Mistpelt

Characters : Mistpelt
Clan/Rank : RiverClanWarrior
Pisces Dog
Number of posts : 15032

PostSubject: Re: Time to Shine [Training]   Time to Shine [Training] EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024 - 13:43

The member 'GravisCordis' has done the following action : Dice roll

'Effect Dice' : 4
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/profile?user=xxxmuffinheadxxx
Ash
Former Staff
Former Staff
Ash

Cancer Snake

PostSubject: Re: Time to Shine [Training]   Time to Shine [Training] EmptyTue 20 Feb 2024 - 13:16

Larchpaw was feeling pretty good about himself--scampering off, a wide grin on his face--but a gentle blow at his heels stopped him. He managed to keep from tripping, but the pride he'd felt curdled in an instant. He'd messed up. There goes my perfect first outing as an apprentice. His tall ears pinned back slightly, but he replaced his grin when he turned around, trying to shrug it off as if it wasn't a big deal at all. Maybe then Nectarflower wouldn't be disappointed. "Ahh, I thought I had it." The fake nonchalance was difficult, but it stopped when his mentor purred. A genuine smile, for him. Maybe his failure hadn't been too bad after all. Why had his heart stopped dead in his chest for a moment? Why were his veins still itching as if the simple mistake had activated his fight-or-flight response? Anyway. The flame-orange calico tabby shook out his pelt and returned Nectarflower's grin. "Right! Yeah, like I said, I was close. No big deal. I would probably get it next time, I'm sure."

Yeah... when he talked to Pipitpaw later about how amazing of an apprentice he was, he'd simply omit this part.

Back to top Go down
GravisCordis

GravisCordis

PostSubject: Re: Time to Shine [Training]   Time to Shine [Training] EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024 - 13:27

Nectarflower

Nectarflower didn't miss the slight tension in Larchpaw's body or the subtle shift as his ears slicked back. She shifted from paw to paw for a moment, wondering if, perhaps, she'd gone a bit too hard on him. Maybe she should have simply allowed him to win, to bask in the pride that came with performing a new skill successfully. Though, it wasn't as if he'd failed, per say. He'd done quite well really! It would simply take a little practice for him to become a successful warrior! After a moment, the young tom seemed to relax, his smile becoming a little more genuine. "I'm sure you will Larchpaw. Truthfully, I'm really impressed!"

She approached the apprentice with an easy-going smile and set her tail reassuringly across his shoulders. "Don't worry about not getting in perfect the first time, nobody does. You should be proud of yourself for doing as well as you did!" She announced with a purr. Then, with a glance back in the direction of the camp, she stepped away from Larchpaw and gestured for him to follow her. "In any case, you must be hungry? Why don't we get something to eat, hm? Then I can show you around the territory, okay?"

His hunting lesson could wait for another day, though. She didn't want to overwhelm him, after all. With a flick of her tail, she trotted back towards the camp, her stomach growling. "What's your favorite prey anyway, kid? Everyone always says rabbit, but I find it hard to believe it's all of our favorite." She said after a moment, chuckling softly. Well, rabbit certainly was her favorite, but even then, she sometimes wished she had a more unique preference.

Back to top Go down
Ash
Former Staff
Former Staff
Ash

Cancer Snake

PostSubject: Re: Time to Shine [Training]   Time to Shine [Training] EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024 - 17:15

Pride and praise made everything better. Larchpaw grinned wider, allowing a purr to rumble deep in his throat at his mentor's words. She really wasn't so bad after all, he decided. Anyone who could recognize his instinctive greatness had to be a pretty decent cat. "Well, I'm sure with your help, I'll get it in no time. ShadowClan had better look out for both of us." His tail waved behind him. At the mention of food, his ears perked up. Now that she mentioned it... a rabbit did sound great right now. He'd never worked so hard before in his life. Not that he minded, but it would be nice to get a reward for his skill. "All right! Sounds good to me." It was hard to shake the smile from his face as he followed after Nectarflower. What an odd question she asked, though. An attempt to get to know him, maybe? He shrugged one shoulder, golden eyes glittering. "I mean, I've never tried much besides rabbit. I guess I'll have to try every single kind in order to know what my favorite is! Except for fish. You couldn't force me to eat anything slimy." The thought made him shudder good-naturedly. "But, I do like rabbits."

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Time to Shine [Training]   Time to Shine [Training] Empty

Back to top Go down

Time to Shine [Training]
Page 1 of 1