Warrior Clan Cats

The future's in your paws. Shape it well.

Roleplay in a cat Clan of warriors. Based off the Warriors series by Erin Hunter. Takes place in an AU before the cats in the books existed.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome to WCC! Here are our latest announcements:
Activity checks take place on the 1st of the month. PM a staff member with the completed form if you missed it.
Newleaf is finally here, and the Clans hope to find reprieve from the tough Leaf-bare.
Gatherings take place on the 1st of the month; keep your eyes out for a staff member's post!
Please feel free to hit up any staff member if you have any questions!

Standing Tall[C]

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Copperbeanz

Copperbeanz

Characters : Missing: Juniperpaw(ShC), Quillsplash(ShC) | Dead: Tawnyshadow(ShC), Sootstorm(WC), Ajex(Outsider), Shatteredsky(SkC), Reedshine(TC), Deerleap(ShC) Slightfrost(Skc) Specklepaw(WC) Sunfire(TC), Copperlark(Outsider), Cinderpaw(TC), Quickpaw(WC), Deerpaw(ShC), Willowpaw(ShC)
Taurus Tiger
Number of posts : 3219

Standing Tall[C] Empty
PostSubject: Standing Tall[C]   Standing Tall[C] EmptyTue 3 Oct 2023 - 21:14

Happiness comes the way the wind blows

Despite the abundance of kits in the past few moons, sickness still lingered in camp, and the kits were gone just as quickly as they came. Grief clung to the air, for both the queens and the kits. It didn't feel right, that one problem after another would come crashing down on Windclan without even a heartbeat for them to breathe. It felt like the war had just ended, and now the fresh-kill pile was a few scraps of fur and the medicine cat den was crowded with sick cats to the point Sparrowthorn barely showed her face in camp anymore.

Sootstorm sighed, a single scrawny mouse hanging from his jaws. He would need to go out on another hunting patrol later, to make up for this miserable catch, and after he had to go through battle moves with Finchpaw. Great Starclan, he missed Brakenwing. He pushed past the nursery entrance, gaze drifting past the empty nests that used to bed cats to a single kit in the far corner of the nursery. The warrior's gaze softened, and he quickly crossed over to the small kit. Tallkit, right? "Hey, do you want this mouse?" He asked a bit awkwardly, nudging the mouse towards the kit with a paw. "Where are your parents?" He added, looking around at the mostly empty nursery save for a few kits tussling about.

Ishtar

Characters : Tallshadow, Daisyfang, Cricketpaw
Clan/Rank : (T)WindClan Warrior[T3] (D)WindClan MC[T1] (C)SkyClan Apprentice
Number of posts : 311

Standing Tall[C] Empty
PostSubject: Re: Standing Tall[C]   Standing Tall[C] EmptyTue 3 Oct 2023 - 23:51

Tallkit stared at the gorse wall, its tangling stems burdened only with half-dried flowers. They used to be more colorful, his littermates would leap for the bright yellow petals when they floated into the nursery. He joined in sometimes, before their pelts lost their sheen and the queens started pulling them from the nest after mother left. Tallkit had stopped wandering out of the nursery. He tried before, to see where his siblings were going, but they never came back and now it was too cold anyway. Maybe it was better he didn’t know. His soft golden pelt was thin and dulled and the wind bit through it too easily, so he stayed in his nest and waited. The kit tucked his nose under his feathery tail, burying himself a little deeper into the moss. His nose was running, and the tips of his ears quivered in the cold, but at least the nursery was quiet and the whistling of the wind outside was familiar and comforting despite the chill it brought with it.

Tallkit’s ears twitched at the sound of a cat scraping through the gorse. He lifted his head, long tail twitching up, only to droop back down into the moss. He pushed down the sting of disappointment that it wasn’t one of the queens. Feeling heavy, Tallkit settled back down but to his surprise, the unfamiliar tom approached, mouse dangling from his jaws. The tabby looked at the mouse for a long moment, hunger that had been a far off ache returned in full force. He licked his lips, a slow purr throbbing in his little chest. “Really? Thank you.” Tallkit dipped his head politely, before nudging at the creature with his nose. It’s scent was heavy and sweet as it settled under his tongue. He glanced back at the tom, one too-big ear twitching. “I haven’t had fresh-kill before.” He admitted a little sheepishly, before taking a careful bite. The flavor exploded against the roof of his mouth. His teeth crunching through the fur and bone sent a ripple of satisfaction against his pelt. He could almost imagine it warm and flighty under his claws, the thrill of the hunt like a second hand high. It was a little tough, and he worked his jaw comically to dislodge fur from meat. With one paw full of small claws hooked into it to hold it still, the kit hunched over the prey, tearing happily into it like he might never get a meal again. He paused long enough to mumble “it's really good!” Through his full mouth.

He was so busy eating he almost didn’t hear the warrior’s second question. Tallkit lifted his head, ears flattening back for a moment before he caught himself. The tom-kit sat back on his haunches, curling his tail neatly around his paws. His belly was full for the first time in the long-stretching days since the queens started leaving and the bustling warmth of the nursery started to ebb into dim stillness. Tallkit sniffled and blinked back the gunk under his eyes. He shrugged non-committedly. “Dunno. Mother hasn’t come back since they took Heatherkit away.” He looked down at his paws, mouse fur snagged on his claws. The moss around him was cool to the touch, the nest looked too big without the fumbling bodies of his littermates. He used to hate when they tumbled over his long legs or stepped on his tail, but now. “Maybe… maybe you’ve seen them?” Tallkit pulled himself to his paws, shoulder blades stretching tight and sharp under his pelt. “I haven’t been out of the nursery for awhile, but no one will tell me when I ask. My litter-mates, they’ll be excited to hear I've had fresh-kill, and they keep the nest warm, it’s not fair I have to sleep by myself.” His lifted his tail, looking brave, but his paws trembled, and he lowered his voice, like he was embarrassed. “I just, I miss them a little.” He glanced up at the warrior, a hesitant sway to his tail.

Rank up:
Back to top Go down
Copperbeanz

Copperbeanz

Characters : Missing: Juniperpaw(ShC), Quillsplash(ShC) | Dead: Tawnyshadow(ShC), Sootstorm(WC), Ajex(Outsider), Shatteredsky(SkC), Reedshine(TC), Deerleap(ShC) Slightfrost(Skc) Specklepaw(WC) Sunfire(TC), Copperlark(Outsider), Cinderpaw(TC), Quickpaw(WC), Deerpaw(ShC), Willowpaw(ShC)
Taurus Tiger

Standing Tall[C] Empty
PostSubject: Re: Standing Tall[C]   Standing Tall[C] EmptyWed 4 Oct 2023 - 0:28

Sootstorm couldn't help but smile as he watched Tallkit try fresh-kill for the first time. If he liked mouse, just wait till he tried a hare. It was the best prey in all of Windclan, but at the moment, with the hunger and the sickness, they were rare to find, and even harder to catch. Sootstorm promised himself that when he next caught a hare, Tallkit would get first bite of it.

His smile faltered at the mention of Heatherkit. The whole Clan knew about Heatherkit-- or rather, the queen Goldenpetal, dying of sickness with three of her four kits barely strong enough to suckle at her belly due to the sickness. Their bodies had been buried just last night... the other queens must have decided not to tell Tallkit yet, or maybe they were just too busy. Sootstorm's own littermate, Aspenpaw, had been buried alongside Goldenpetal, Heatherkit, Fidgetkit and Mistkit, so he knew how hard it would be for Tallkit to learn the truth. Things would only get worse as the kit grew older... this would not be the last death of his loved ones. But he had to know.

Sootstorm took a deep breath. "Goldenpetal, Heatherkit, Fidgetkit and Mistkit have joined Starclan. They're in a better place now," He mewed, trying and failing to explain the concept of death to the kit without making it seem harsh or scary. "My brother's with them, and I bet they're all playing mossball right now," He added. It was more to comfort himself than Tallkit, but he needed to be comforted as well, didn't he? His brother was dead.

Ishtar

Standing Tall[C] Empty
PostSubject: Re: Standing Tall[C]   Standing Tall[C] EmptyWed 4 Oct 2023 - 1:16

Tallkit saw the shadow pass across the dappled tom’s eyes and slowly his tail lowered. “Oh.” He said, and felt the full weight of his pelt and his paws. He was often annoyed at his littermates, but that didn’t mean he wanted them gone. He felt suddenly, very cold, but it was just that all the blood was in his belly with the mouse. The mouse. Tallkit felt like his ribs had broken clean in half. His littermates didn’t know the feral, singing taste of mouse, and they never would. The memory would be his alone. “I say goodnight to StarClan sometimes.” He said, feeling like he had thistle down in his throat. “Mother-” Mother. He missed her warm fur, it felt like so long since he had snuggled into the softness of her pelt. The rasp of her tongue, chasing away the moss that got stuck in his fur. “Mother taught us to be polite, so when I saw silverpelt, sometimes i’d sneak out and sit for awhile, it seemed respectful.” How could his mother, his littermates, with their warm live bodies, the rumbles of their happiness that echoed his own when they snuggled deep into their nest as a summer storm blew past, how could all of that be shoved between the distant slow blink of the stars?

“I hope they like it there. Mistkit was afraid of the dark.” Something like dread trickled between his shoulder blades at the thought of Mistkit in the vastness of the sky. At least they had Mother, she would keep them safe, but not him. He was on his own now. Tallkit wanted to curl up under his nest and let the earth swallow him. He looked at Sootstorm, the tom squeezed into the nursery, looking as haggard and dulled as the rest of them. “Thank you, for the mouse.” Tallkit said. He looked back at his empty nest. A nest that would stay empty. The kit stumbled forward on his gangly legs, graceless with the weight of everything, and rubbed his head against Sootstorm’s foreleg. “I’m sorry about your brother. Fidgetkit likes everyone, they’ll be friends.” His mew was wet and unsteady. He leaned against the older tom, ears turned back and tail curled tightly over his paws, quivering like the earth was shaking. Everything had splintered apart above his head, and he was left staring at the pieces. The gorse petals on the floor, the nest that hadn't been straightened in days, the oppressive emptiness, the stale scents of milk and heather and sickness. Maybe the worst part was that those things too, would be gone eventually, and what would be left then? What was left now?

Rank up:
Back to top Go down
Copperbeanz

Copperbeanz

Taurus Tiger

Standing Tall[C] Empty
PostSubject: Re: Standing Tall[C]   Standing Tall[C] EmptyThu 5 Oct 2023 - 21:10

Sootstorm watched as the kit's expression faded from a hopeful look to one of utter despair. I know how you feel, he wanted to tell the kit, I feel it too. "I'm sure Mistkit will like it there. I saw Starclan once, when I visited the moonstone. It's made of stars, and each star shines as brightly as the sun. It's the most beautiful place I've ever seen, and not once will it be dark. And even if it did, Goldenpetal will be there for her," Sootstorm mewed, using a paw to scoop Tallkit closer to him when the kit leaned onto his leg. The tom got into a more comfortable loaf position, tucking the tom-kit beside him. Tallkit was shaking, amber eyes lost and filled with tears.

"Do you want to hear a story that my mother told me when I was a kit?" Sootstorm asked suddenly. It might distract Tallkit for a while, and maybe even cheer him up. It's been a while since he thought of his birth mother... all he could remember is her warm scent and gentle murmurs as she groomed him and his brother late at night. The milky scent that clung to her fur and the cotton-like tail that held him close to her body. Brakenwing, without him knowing, had replaced his birth mother.

Ishtar

Standing Tall[C] Empty
PostSubject: Re: Standing Tall[C]   Standing Tall[C] EmptyThu 5 Oct 2023 - 22:06

Tallkit flicked a hopeful ear towards the tom. Sootstorm had seen StarClan? Silverpelt always looked so cold and distant, a hard foreign glint to the stars that was both mystifying and beautiful. But at the warrior’s description, he could almost see Mistkit bounding playfully across the stars, gray pelt brushed silver in the gentle light of stars that glowed like the sun. He hoped she was happy. He hoped she wasn’t sick anymore. He hoped Goldenpetal didn't miss him. She would’ve come back if she could. He thought fiercely. He hoped she would have come back.

Sootstorm’s short pelt brushed against his cheek as the tom pulled him closer. Tallkit slumped bonelessly against the warrior. The tom’s wind-swept scent banished the tang of sickness that had been stuck up in his nose since he’d been curled in his nest. Sootstorm wasn’t soft or sweet-scented like his mother or the other queens. He didn’t fill the void that was howling in his chest like a cave-in. But he was warm, and his voice rumbled like a purr, and the press of his pelt was grounding and that was enough for Tallkit. The golden kit turned his head and buried his face in Sootstorm’s shoulder, like he could vanish into the warm dark that pressed against his eyes. "Yes please." He mumbled into the warrior’s fur.

Rank up:
Back to top Go down
Copperbeanz

Copperbeanz

Taurus Tiger

Standing Tall[C] Empty
PostSubject: Re: Standing Tall[C]   Standing Tall[C] EmptyFri 6 Oct 2023 - 0:30

Sootstorm's mind wandered back to the very night he was told the story. Larklight had found him, dripping wet and furious, crying over how an older kit had pushed him into a deep puddle. She had pulled him close and licked his fur dry while he buried his face in her soft fur. "Don't be afraid, you've been blessed by StarClan," She had comforted, "Do you know why?" He had looked up at her, face scrunched up in confusion. He had never thought about it... "Because..."

"WindClan warriors are closest to StarClan,"
Sootstorm began, the familiar words coming naturally. "When the first cats came to the forest, they argued amongst themselves. They could not decide where to settle down. Some wanted to stay by the river and grow fat on the river's plentiful fish, while others wanted to stay in the dense forest where they would never get wet from the rain. Suddenly, there was a brilliant light that lit up the entire forest. A single star shot across the night sky, past the gathered cats and into the moor. The cats watched in awe, and tried to follow the star. But only those who had not argued were able to catch up to the star, as their paws carried no ill will towards others, allowing them to run like the wind. They found the hollow that the fallen star had created, which is this very hollow that we call camp. That was how WindClan was created: the best warriors, gifted the speed of the wind by StarClan, and guided to the land closest to the stars. While the other Clans hunted under thick covers of trees or in the water, WindClan warriors run directly under the sky, under StarClan's watch." Sootstorm finished. That story was what had first gave him confidence, and what motivated him to try his hardest, first as an apprentice and then as a warrior. Because he was blessed by his ancestors, and because everytime he ran under the night sky all his late friends and family could see him.

He looked down at the cream tabby, fondly stroking Tallkit between the ears. Sootstorm couldn't help but be reminded of Acornkit when she was still alive; kind and small and sweet and just as innocent. Just as fragile, and just as important to protect.

Ishtar

Standing Tall[C] Empty
PostSubject: Re: Standing Tall[C]   Standing Tall[C] EmptyFri 6 Oct 2023 - 1:15

For the first time in days, Tallkit felt secure, sheltered both by the tangle of gorse and Sootstorm’s fur, he swiveled one comically large ear so he could hear the story better. The cats in the tale seemed to be leaping across the nursery, hurtling after the shooting star with their pelts touched silver as the wind buoyed their paws. Tallkit could taste the heather on the air, could feel the springy moor-grass as if it churned beneath his own paws. He couldn’t help the purr that rattled hesitantly out of his chest. He was WindClan afterall, blessed with his gangly legs that would one day carry him just as far and just as fast as the cats in the story, protected and seen by StarClan and its many watchful eyes. He wouldn’t let them down.

With the even rumble of Sootstorm’s voice, and the dim warmth of the nursery pressing close, it was hard to keep his eyes open. His body ached with both grief and weariness, but he was warm now, and Sootstorm’s pelt was proving to be much more comfortable than the cold indifference of his empty nest. Purring softly, Tallkit snuggled closer, poking all his hunger-sharp edges into the yielding expanse of the warrior’s fur. Somewhere in the half-sleep haze, between one slow blink of his eyes and the next, he wondered if Sootstorm would be gone when he woke up. That this wasn’t just some fever dream he would wake from with Goldenpetal’s fur under his cheek and his littermates tripping over him. But some deep intrinsic part of him understood, he would live with their absence like a long-healing wound. The world was still unsteady under his paws, like every tentative thing he had would slip away like a feather between his claws. But he figured that was a problem for the morning, and didn’t let it get snagged under his pelt.
Tallkit fell asleep with a facefull of Sootstorm’s fur and the WindClan cats of old still running across his mind, their silvered pelts flashing through the far-stretching distances between the stars, voices echoing happily in the vastness of his dreams.

Rank up:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Standing Tall[C] Empty
PostSubject: Re: Standing Tall[C]   Standing Tall[C] Empty

Back to top Go down

Standing Tall[C]
Page 1 of 1