Warrior Clan Cats

The future's in your paws. Shape it well.

Roleplay in a cat Clan of warriors. Based off the Warriors series by Erin Hunter. Takes place in an AU before the cats in the books existed.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome to WCC! Here are our latest announcements:
Activity checks take place on the 1st of the month. PM a staff member with the completed form if you missed it.
Newleaf is finally here, and the Clans hope to find reprieve from the tough Leaf-bare.
Gatherings take place on the 1st of the month; keep your eyes out for a staff member's post!
Please feel free to hit up any staff member if you have any questions!

A Birds Call (to lead me from the rain) [c]

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
lostfanboy

lostfanboy

Characters : Stormdance (S) Rainfrost (R) Sunpool (Su) Wrenpaw (W) Hawkmist (H)
Clan/Rank : Riverclan, Tier 5 Warrior (S) Skyclan, Tier 3 Warrior (R) Riverclan, Tier 2 Warrior (Su) Riverclan, Apprentice (W) Shadowclan, Tier 2 Warrior (H)
Sagittarius Dragon
Number of posts : 1017

A Birds Call (to lead me from the rain) [c]  Empty
PostSubject: A Birds Call (to lead me from the rain) [c]    A Birds Call (to lead me from the rain) [c]  EmptyMon 12 Sep 2022 - 16:42

OOC: TW for implied child/kit death, please read with caution <3
???

It was cold and loud and he didn’t know where he was. The kit’s little body was soaked down to the bone, his gray and white fur plastering to him no matter how many times he tried to shake out the droplets. The rain was coming down in sheets, making it hard for the little kit to see past his own nose, much less see the way back home. He doesn’t know why he and his siblings have been put here, he’s confused and tired and so, so scared.

His siblings had stopped moving, stopped crying out for help along with him, no matter how much he tried to rouse them. Which is why he had stumbled to his feet, shuddering and shaking, and left the weak shelter of the bush they had all been huddling under together. He needed to find help, needed to find their mom so they could go home. He couldn’t see the way home, but maybe he could find somebody who could.

Unfortunately, the ground is very slippery and wet, especially for a kit so small, who had barely learned how to walk. He kept falling, getting mud as well as water in his fur and getting stuck on branches and spiky pine needles. He didn’t even manage to get that far from the bush, despite his best efforts.

He kept crying too. He had mewled and cried over the roar of the rain as best he could until his voice went hoarse and then some. Panicked tears were dripping steadily into his fur. He missed his mom, he missed his warm nest, he wanted to cuddle up with his siblings and go to sleep but instead he was here. Every sound made him jump, every shift of the foliage in the wind made him feel like something was going to jump out at him in this strange, strange place. He had barely seen the world outside his nest before this, and it had all been warm and comfortable, not like this cold, unfamiliar world he found himself in now.

“Help! Please!” He called, voice cracking. “Mom! Anyone, please! We need help… please.” The kit stumbled and fell once more, and this time he couldn’t find the strength in his shaking legs to rise to his feet once more.

#9999cc

Sunpool
RC Tier 2 Warrior
40HP/100SP
#de0404

Wrenpaw
RC Apprentice
20 HP/60SP
#1f6e55

Hawkmist
SC Tier 2 Warrior
40HP/100 SP
#7ba3a8

Rainfrost
SkC Tier 3 Warrior
50HP/120SP
#446fb3

My Cats!

Back to top Go down
downfive
Former Staff
Former Staff
downfive

Characters : [R]owansong [Ro]okflight [S]ilverhawk [P]igeonpouce [F]ish [T]wilightkit
Clan/Rank : [R] RiverClan T5 Elder [Ro] RiverClan T4 Warrior [S] ShadowClan T3 Warrior [P] T2 RiverClan Warrior [F] T2 Rogue [T] RiverClan Kit
Pisces Horse
Number of posts : 2483

PostSubject: Re: A Birds Call (to lead me from the rain) [c]    A Birds Call (to lead me from the rain) [c]  EmptyMon 12 Sep 2022 - 21:02

The sky had been graceless in its opening. There was little warning to be offered from the morning, except a grayer sunrise than usual; then as the day drew on longer, the sky darkened to near-black, and rain poured thickly from the heavens. Birdchaser had to strain to see against the dim lighting and through the downpour, but border patrols did not stop for inclimate weather. And with their neighbors recently returned home, the deputy was determined to keep a tight eye on the Highpine to ensure no more of ShadowClan's strays turned over onto their land.

As she walked, she almost thought she could hear a voice. It was thin, and frail, and so beat under by the rain she almost could have convinced herself it was a particularly distressed mouse. Likely, it was just something young and small getting dragged away somewhere by a fox, or maybe a hawk. Shaking the pooling water out of her pelt– though it recollected just as quickly –she trudged onward.

Soon enough, the sturdy deciduous trees started to turn into the thinner, sharper conifers that marked the changing borders. And with the rising pines and firs–

"Help! Please!"

The crying got louder, turned into words. Now, she was certain it wasn't a mouse. Angling her ears forward, Birdchaser blinked water out of her eyes and searched the immediate terrain. Though horribly muffled, and awfully quiet, that was the voice of a kit, sounding miserable and alone. The sound of a small voice, so desperately pleading for help, made her heart twist.

It didn't take too terribly long to find him. Though it was getting quieter, the crying voice guided her hurried paws. She hadn't seen the kit until she heard him fall. It was hard to distinguish the sound of tiny paws splashing from the beating of harsh droplets against the earth, but with a stretch of focused listening, she could make it out. And when she heard a harder fall, her green eyes snapped in the direction of the noise, and there he was. If it had been any later in the day, or raining any harder, or had he not been moving, she might have missed the kit's body entirely. He was soaked through with rain and mud, and even without the water slicking his fur down and making him look infinitely smaller, he was tiny. She doubted he would have even been out of the nursery yet, judging by his size.

With any other cat, she would have been stern. Maybe even harsh. They were trespassers, infringing on her well-protected home. But him– she would never have the heart to act so coldly towards a kit. Making her steps as light as she could manage, Birdchaser padded closer quickly. Kneeling, she pressed her nose to the kit's fur, nevermind if her sudden presence startled him. She briefly feared he hadn't been alive, and the time she'd spent searching had cost him his small life, but his thin legs quivered, and his chest rattled against her nose. If there had been any Clan-scent attached to his fur, it was long washed away, replaced with churned earth and mud and– death, fresh. It reminded her of Dovefrost, and Birdchaser winced.

"You're breathing." Despite her resolve to be better for a cat so young, the words still came out curt. Forcing a gentler edge to her next words, "You shouldn't be out wandering in this weather, kit." Her characteristic gruffness still carried, but there was a clear sympathy to the words. "Are you lost? Do you know where you came from?" Affording herself a moment to look up, Birdchaser scanned the border once again. There was no sign of life, of a queen coming to return to him. There was a near bush that looked like it'd been clawed through, but it could have just as well been the weather shredding through its thin leaves and brittle branches.

FishRogue
T2 Rogue
#2F8A7B
SilverhawkShadowClan
T3 Warrior
#845D56
RowansongRiverClan
T5 Elder
#68228B
RookflightRiverClan
T4 Warrior
#6082B6
PigeonpounceRiverClan
T2 Warrior
#20AED4
TwilightkitRiverClan
Kit
#5B31AD
[not pictured]

Art by Xaandiir!
Back to top Go down
lostfanboy

lostfanboy

Clan/Rank : Riverclan, Tier 5 Warrior (S) Skyclan, Tier 3 Warrior (R) Riverclan, Tier 2 Warrior (Su) Riverclan, Apprentice (W) Shadowclan, Tier 2 Warrior (H)
Sagittarius Dragon

PostSubject: Re: A Birds Call (to lead me from the rain) [c]    A Birds Call (to lead me from the rain) [c]  EmptyMon 12 Sep 2022 - 21:34

???

The kit was about to give up completely. He had closed his eyes, a tiny whimper escaping him as he shuddered on the ground. He was so cold and he hurt so much, and it would’ve been so easy to fall asleep there, to escape this miserable state. If he just fell asleep, maybe it would all be okay. Maybe all this was just some sort of terrible, awful dream.

The feeling of another cat’s nose startled him so much his eyes flew back open, and life flooded back into him as he scrambled up and away on instinct with a tiny, pitiful little hiss. He couldn’t even get very far, slipping in the mud that had made him fall in the first place, but he still stumbled back a few pawsteps and crouched down on the ground with a puffed tail. He stared up at the stranger, his yellow and blue eyes wide with shock.

He had never seen this cat before. Indeed, he had never seen another cat at all outside of his siblings and his mother. The white and gray cat in front of him was just as soaked as he was, but large, much larger than he was, and there was a strength and grace to her strong form that he had never known. It was much different from the comforting warmth of his mother’s fluffy fur, and for a moment, the kit was terrified, but…

Help. It had come. It didn’t matter what form it was in, he needed help. Even with his limited life experience, he could understand that much.

It took him a moment to find his voice, but when he did, he managed to speak. “Lost.” He repeated, then nodded frantically. “I’m lost, please, can you help me?”He swallowed hard, then suddenly straightened up. “Help us!” He scrambled up and, stumbling, ran back to the bush his siblings were in. “Please, I-I don’t know why we were left here,” His voice trembled. Moving so fast left him dizzy and he wobbled on his feet.

“Th-The housefolk took us here but I-I dunno why and…” He swallowed hard, slowly lowering himself back down as he once more lost the strength that finally seeing someone else had brought him. “Please.” He mewled once more, eyes wet with hot tears.

#9999cc

Sunpool
RC Tier 2 Warrior
40HP/100SP
#de0404

Wrenpaw
RC Apprentice
20 HP/60SP
#1f6e55

Hawkmist
SC Tier 2 Warrior
40HP/100 SP
#7ba3a8

Rainfrost
SkC Tier 3 Warrior
50HP/120SP
#446fb3

My Cats!

Back to top Go down
downfive
Former Staff
Former Staff
downfive

Characters : [R]owansong [Ro]okflight [S]ilverhawk [P]igeonpouce [F]ish [T]wilightkit
Clan/Rank : [R] RiverClan T5 Elder [Ro] RiverClan T4 Warrior [S] ShadowClan T3 Warrior [P] T2 RiverClan Warrior [F] T2 Rogue [T] RiverClan Kit
Pisces Horse

PostSubject: Re: A Birds Call (to lead me from the rain) [c]    A Birds Call (to lead me from the rain) [c]  EmptyThu 15 Sep 2022 - 5:57

pixel-hourglass-f2u-by-lost-in-ashes-dd0zotaBirdchaser

Around her muttered voice, the kit found strength in his limbs again, darting away from her. His bristling and quiet hissing didn't last very long, as he skidded and slipped through the mud, and Birdchaser winced slightly at the sight. That didn't keep him from backing away, fur raised and tiny eyes wide and fearful. I'm sorry, for scaring you, she wanted to mew. Instead, Birdchaser just watched quietly, until life rushed into his little voice, too.

Lost. She could have guessed that much, but it was good to hear him confirm it– even though his thin, squeaking voice made her chest tighten. Whatever stony exterior she had been trying to perfect was nothing in the face of someone so small, so sad. A memory of her leaning into Beechfang's side flickered through her mind, weeping into her mother's shoulder. Despite what her mother had been, and what had happened, she had been grateful to have a mother present. Had she been without that– Birdchaser shook her broad head. She couldn't imagine. And to be found shivering alone in a storm...

"I can help," she mewed softly. The mention of us, of we, made her already waterlogged ears lower even further. Despite the way her stomach rolled, she followed in the tomkit's footsteps. There was a flicker in her as she was lead to the half-torn bush she'd spotted earlier; something close to pride that her training really had paid off, but much more she felt a sense of disgust and guilt. How long had he– they –been there, unnoticed by any patrols? Had they just been left there with the dawn, abandoned moments before the horrible downpour?

The sight waiting for her between the thin branches did nothing to ease her worried heart. The death-scent she'd caught clinging to the kit was stronger here, and as she peered into the shelter of the bush, she found herself recoiling immediately. What siblings had been brought with him were gone now. How could she tell a cat so young that? Looking down at him, rain-soaked and pelt heavy with mud, Birdchaser thought back on every act of comfort she'd been shown. Yet, she found herself unable to perform any of them.

"I'm sorry, kit. I'm sorry." She murmured, lowering herself to be at eye-level with him. "Your housefolk–" the word felt heavy and foreign on her tongue, did he mean twolegs? "I don't think they're coming back. I'm sorry." Birdchaser shook her head again, looking uncertain. She couldn't offer him comfort, or closure, but maybe she could provide a better home– even if it was temporary. "I can help you, though. I know cats that can help, they'll look after you, make sure you don't get sick. Many, many cats. Do you want me to take you home with me?"

Back to top Go down
lostfanboy

lostfanboy

Sagittarius Dragon

PostSubject: Re: A Birds Call (to lead me from the rain) [c]    A Birds Call (to lead me from the rain) [c]  EmptyThu 15 Sep 2022 - 16:49

???

The kit looked between Birdchaser and the bush for a moment, watching the way the older cat recoiled from the sight of his siblings. He couldn’t leave without them. Why did she only offer it to him, and not them?

He stared at her with wide, multicolored eyes for a long moment, breathing hard. His legs were even shakier than before as he stepped away from her, wobbling all the while, back into the shelter of the bush.

He nudged his sister, trying to get her to stir. “C-Come on, help is here. Wake up, come on.” He whimpered, voice cracking in his desperation. As he received no response, he began to understand, as best as his young mind could comprehend. He didn’t quite understand why, but he knew, somewhere deep inside… that they weren’t getting back up. His eyes went wide and he started shaking harder, stumbling back away until he bumped right into Birdchaser’s legs.

The kit felt dizzy and sick to his stomach. He swayed on his feet, before looking up at Birdchaser again. Many cats, warmth, safety. The promise of a home.

He craved these things more than anything. He wanted to understand, he wanted to feel safe, he wanted everything to be okay. He swallowed hard, a few tears leaking down his cheeks, but somehow he couldn’t muster up a full cry. He slowly sank down, legs unable to hold him, and in a tiny, pitiful voice, he mewed,

“Home. I-I wanna… I wanna go home. S-Somewhere safe. Please.”

#9999cc

Sunpool
RC Tier 2 Warrior
40HP/100SP
#de0404

Wrenpaw
RC Apprentice
20 HP/60SP
#1f6e55

Hawkmist
SC Tier 2 Warrior
40HP/100 SP
#7ba3a8

Rainfrost
SkC Tier 3 Warrior
50HP/120SP
#446fb3

My Cats!

Back to top Go down
downfive
Former Staff
Former Staff
downfive

Pisces Horse

PostSubject: Re: A Birds Call (to lead me from the rain) [c]    A Birds Call (to lead me from the rain) [c]  EmptyFri 23 Sep 2022 - 15:51

pixel-hourglass-f2u-by-lost-in-ashes-dd0zotaBirdchaser

The spectactle the kit put forth made Birdchaser's chest tighten, even though it'd already felt impossibly heavy, to the point she almost thought she would stop breathing. Crawling back under what leaky shelter their bush provided, nosing at his siblings with a painfully familiar desperation. It reminded her of her own family, of her parents– the oxymoronic comfort of her mother, and the way she'd begged and screamed when finding her father. She ached.

When he bumped into her, a heavy paw found itself against the little thing's chest, bracing him gently as he shrank to the sodden earth. The withered look he gave her, accompanied by his quiet, broken plea... Birdchaser could only nod, bend her legs until the thick fur of her belly and her chest dragged across the mud. "We'll go home," she muttered, strained. Gingerly, she reached forward to take his scruff between her teeth, lifting him as slowly and carefully as she could off the ground. Craning her neck, Birdchaser placed him carefully in the dense fur between her shoulder blades, nodding slowly as her teeth detached.

"Try not to fall, okay? I'll move slow." And she did. She took her time rising, painstakingly, and every pawstep away from the dreary scene was made with careful deliberation so as not to rock him from his place. "It isn't a long walk. You won't be dry up there, but you'll be... warm. It'll be drier and warmer in the nursery, though. There are queens still with milk that will look after you–" She drifted. Look after who, exactly?

The rain beat hard against her ears. Birdchaser wondered if she would even hear him if he responded; if she would notice if his tiny, fragile weight slipped from her back. She had no vested interest in him, had no reason to look after him beyond basic moral decency and adherence to the warrior code, but if her little charge ended up falling and rolling away, lost again to the mud and torrent– Birdchaser's claws pressed into the earth as they walked.

"If you stay with us, once you're better, you'll need a name... of course. Did you have one? Do you remember it? If not, I–" Again, her words trailed, and the deputy found herself looking skyward, ignoring the water that fell against her eyes. "Rainkit would... probably be a good one. I'm sure it sounds funny to you, but it, uhm, suits you, I think. The day you came to SkyClan."

FishRogue
T2 Rogue
#2F8A7B
SilverhawkShadowClan
T3 Warrior
#845D56
RowansongRiverClan
T5 Elder
#68228B
RookflightRiverClan
T4 Warrior
#6082B6
PigeonpounceRiverClan
T2 Warrior
#20AED4
TwilightkitRiverClan
Kit
#5B31AD
[not pictured]

Art by Xaandiir!
Back to top Go down
lostfanboy

lostfanboy

Sagittarius Dragon

PostSubject: Re: A Birds Call (to lead me from the rain) [c]    A Birds Call (to lead me from the rain) [c]  EmptyFri 23 Sep 2022 - 16:18

Rainkit

The kit went limp in Birdchaser’s grip, exhaustion taking hold. He settled in the soft warmth of Birdchaser’s fur, curling up and nestling into the warmth. He was grateful for it chasing away the worst of the chill that felt like it shook him right down to his bones. Before very long, a soft, barely audible purr rumbled up from his chest, anxious sounding and quick. It soothed the young kit a bit, and he instinctively kneaded a little bit into Birdchaser’s fur as he held on.

He had no idea what she was talking about with ‘nursery’ and ‘queens’, but he was far too tired to ask. He closed his eyes, half tempted to fall asleep right then, if not for the fear of not waking up like his siblings or falling off as he dozed.

Name? He didn’t know his name. He knew he had one, but he hadn’t quite learned it yet. Rainkit. It sounded nice. He looked up at the rain still falling, then nestled deeper into the safe, warm fur of the cat carrying him to safety. “I like that.” He managed to say through his exhaustion, just barely raising his voice above the roar of the rain to reach Birdchaser’s ears. He knows he should ask the wild cat’s name too, to be polite, but… later… He’ll ask later. When he can focus on more than staying awake.

Skyclan. He doesn’t know what that is either… but it sounds like safety.

#9999cc

Sunpool
RC Tier 2 Warrior
40HP/100SP
#de0404

Wrenpaw
RC Apprentice
20 HP/60SP
#1f6e55

Hawkmist
SC Tier 2 Warrior
40HP/100 SP
#7ba3a8

Rainfrost
SkC Tier 3 Warrior
50HP/120SP
#446fb3

My Cats!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Birds Call (to lead me from the rain) [c]    A Birds Call (to lead me from the rain) [c]  Empty

Back to top Go down

A Birds Call (to lead me from the rain) [c]
Page 1 of 1