Warrior Clan Cats

The future's in your paws. Shape it well.

Roleplay in a cat Clan of warriors. Based off the Warriors series by Erin Hunter. Takes place in an AU before the cats in the books existed.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome to WCC! Here are our latest announcements:
Activity checks take place on the 1st of the month. PM a staff member with the completed form if you missed it.
Newleaf is finally here, and the Clans hope to find reprieve from the tough Leaf-bare.
Gatherings take place on the 1st of the month; keep your eyes out for a staff member's post!
Please feel free to hit up any staff member if you have any questions!

canary in a coal mine

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Holly
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Holly

Characters : | Leopardstar | Nightdancer | Lightningbreeze | Mistflower | Scarletflare |
Clan/Rank : | ShadowClan Leader | ThunderClan Warrior | SkyClan Warrior | SkyClan Warrior | RiverClan Warrior |
Gemini Cat
Number of posts : 6024

canary in a coal mine Empty
PostSubject: canary in a coal mine   canary in a coal mine EmptyTue 4 Feb 2020 - 11:29

Batbite liked to think of herself as cool, at least in comparison to most mentors she knew. The point of the matter was that she didn't shove her nose into the apprentice's den at the first crack of dawn; instead taking the fact that she woke earlier than intended as a chance to plan out some of his training. That way she would be ready when her apprentice woke up on his own. The territory, and then some battle lessons, she supposed. She was the worst cat to teach someone to fight, probably, but that was fine - she held her own well enough, she just did it in a different way.

ShadowClan ~ ThunderClan ~ SkyClan ~ SkyClan ~ RiverClan ~ Nomad
Leader ~ Warrior ~ Warrior ~ Warrior ~ Warrior ~ Scout
Tier 5 ~ Tier 5 ~ Tier 3 ~ Tier 3 ~ Tier 1 ~ Tier 3
Back to top Go down
Firehaze

Firehaze

Characters : Brindlekit {TC}
Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 128

PostSubject: Re: canary in a coal mine   canary in a coal mine EmptyTue 4 Feb 2020 - 11:37

Coalpaw stretched his jaws in a yawn, his long canines making it look exaggerated and he gave his lips an annoyed wiggle as his canines caught on them as he closed his mouth. His yellow eyes looked around the forest before settling on the black pelt that was his mentor. Though her fur was longer than his and her eyes were green, they were relatively similar in height and build as the young tom had more of a leanness too him. If one didn't know any better, they might assume they were related. Though, Coalpaw had been born of ThunderClan where as his mentor had not. The thought caused a dark expression to cloud his face but the young tom quickly shook it away. "So where are we going first?" He asked Batbite, his eyes glancing up at her, bright with curiosity.
Back to top Go down
Holly
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Holly

Characters : | Leopardstar | Nightdancer | Lightningbreeze | Mistflower | Scarletflare |
Clan/Rank : | ShadowClan Leader | ThunderClan Warrior | SkyClan Warrior | SkyClan Warrior | RiverClan Warrior |
Gemini Cat

PostSubject: Re: canary in a coal mine   canary in a coal mine EmptyTue 4 Feb 2020 - 11:43

"The plan is to show you the corners of the territory," Batbite told her apprentice. "You know, assuming they haven't changed too much in my absence. And then, if you're not too tired, some basic battle training. Nothing too fancy yet, you've gotta work your way up! How's all that sounding to you?"

Back to top Go down
Firehaze

Firehaze

Virgo Rat

PostSubject: Re: canary in a coal mine   canary in a coal mine EmptyTue 4 Feb 2020 - 12:27

Coalpaw gave his mentor a sidelong glance, wondering just exactly how long she had been away from ThunderClan. He was too young to know for sure, but he hadn't assumed it had been very long. He looked around the forest, leaf-bare having given it a different kind of stillness and silence he wasn't used to inside the camp. Everything seemed larger than he had imagined it, the trees much more bare and larger than the ones he could see surrounding the ravine and there was much more undergrowth than he had anticipated. "What are we going to see first?" He asked as he looked up at Batbite, determination gleaming in his eyes. He was sure he could see all of the territory before he grew tired, plus he wanted to learn some battle moves. Most of the apprentices had only shown him hunting moves and he was excited to learn something new.
Back to top Go down
Holly
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Holly

Gemini Cat

PostSubject: Re: canary in a coal mine   canary in a coal mine EmptyTue 4 Feb 2020 - 20:14

"Thunderpath," Batbite decided. "Safety first and all that." Swiftly, she began leading the way, talking as she walked. "But let's mix it up a bit, and I'll tell you some history as we go - being a warrior isn't all about fighting!" Her tone remained lighthearted and relaxed as she continued. "The Thunderpath separates us from our allies in WindClan, as well as from ShadowClan. WindClan's leader is called Finchstar, pretty sure someone would've told me if that had changed; but sometimes leaders are there forever and sometimes you turn around and someone new has taken over. We've got a strong history of alliance with WindClan that goes back to well before I was born, though, so do try your best not to anger any WindClan cats. ShadowClan's leader I'm not sure of, last I recall it was Scorchstar - he was one of the biggest cats I'd ever seen; though that was ages ago now. Last I checked, we weren't allies or enemies. You'll learn who's who at the Gathering, of course, I'm mostly just telling you what I remember so that you don't wind up insulting another Clan unintentionally. Peace is fragile, and some cats are always looking for an excuse to fight."

As the smaller-than-average warrior trailed off on relevant history, she paused, signaling for Coalpaw to stop in his tracks as well. "Well! Here we are. Try not to let that stench overwhelm you, Coalpaw; and listen closely to what I'm about to tell you. I don't control what you do when we're not training, and it's a long-standing tradition for apprentices to sneak out of camp without their mentors that I will frankly be disappointed if you don't uphold, but I am still responsible for you; and if I hear you've come anywhere near the Thunderpath without me present, and especially that you've done something mouse-brained like try to cross it, you'll be cleaning ticks off the elders for a moon. Keep clear of the Stony Hollow too, for the same reason - it's dangerous, and I won't be responsible for your going off and getting yourself killed. Now follow me to the Fallen Oak!"

Back to top Go down
Firehaze

Firehaze

Virgo Rat

PostSubject: Re: canary in a coal mine   canary in a coal mine EmptyWed 5 Feb 2020 - 3:28

Coalpaw padded after his mentor, taking in the sights of the forest as he became lost in awe. The world was much bigger than he had originally thought, his excitement adding energy to his paws. The stillness of leaf-bare made the shadowed parts of the forest seem eerie, but Coalpaw shook off the prickle at his nerves and turned back to Batbite. He wondered what would happen if ThunderClan suddenly wasn't allies with WindClan anymore, or ShadowClan attacked. Could that be a possibility? If it was, would he survive? With a twitch of his whiskers he tossed those thoughts aside, staying close to Batbite as the rolling stench of the Thunderpath filled his nose. He scowled as he curled his lips back in disgust. "Who in their right mind would try to sneak out to go near this?" He hissed, the thickness in the air making his pelt feel heavy and the air feel slimy. "And isn't sneaking out against the rules? Why would I break the rules?" Rules gave order, they gave direction when none was explicitly given. They kept everyone in line and safe, breaking them could lead to harm or misfortune. At least, that's how it seemed to the young tom.
Back to top Go down
Holly
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Holly

Gemini Cat

PostSubject: Re: canary in a coal mine   canary in a coal mine EmptyWed 5 Feb 2020 - 5:14

"Mouse-brained apprentices," Batbite replied drily. "As for why apprentices sneak out, they've got to have fun somehow. I snuck out loads of times when I was an apprentice," she added mischievously. "And I turned out just fine! I'd ask you not to tell Oakstar, but I'm almost certain he knows. Whether or not he did at the time, though, I can't say." As she led the way toward their next landmark, she continued her explanations.

"Back to the history lesson! Not sure where alliance stands between us these days - I really should brush up on my knowledge, I'm starting to feel old - but SkyClan and ThunderClan have a long and storied history of rivalry," Batbite explained. "We both live in the forest, and you'd think maybe because of that we'd get along. But in my experience they're mostly mouse-brained cats following around an even more mouse-brained leader. Maybe that's changed, though; the leader I recall them having was Tinystar, and he seemed old when I was an apprentice. Lived up to his name, too - or would that be down to it?" Expression turning serious for a moment, she regarded Coalpaw. "Of course, however mouse-brained a cat may be, calling them that to their face - or calling a particularly small cat on the Great Rock a stubby little apprentice - is an excellent way to get your ears clawed off. Keep that in mind."

Back to top Go down
Firehaze

Firehaze

Virgo Rat

PostSubject: Re: canary in a coal mine   canary in a coal mine EmptyWed 5 Feb 2020 - 5:54

Coalpaw gave an amused snort and eyed his mentor, wondering if she had ever said something like that without realizing what she was saying or that it might be insulting. He could see it happening, and he wondered if she had gotten a good cuffing for it. As she spoke he nodded diligently, gazing out across the border to SkyClan. She was right when she said that their territories were similar, if it weren't for the scent markers there was little to distinguish SkyClan's territory from ThunderClan's. For a brief moment he wondered what it was like, to live in the forest but in a different Clan. He wondered why they hated each other so much if they were so similar, if anything he thought SkyClan should be their ally instead of WindClan. He shrugged it off and gazed back at his mentor, yellow eyes sparked with curiosity. "Did you ever accidentally insult any of the leaders?" He mewed, wanting to learn more about his mentor as well.
Back to top Go down
Holly
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Holly

Gemini Cat

PostSubject: Re: canary in a coal mine   canary in a coal mine EmptyWed 5 Feb 2020 - 22:16

"No," Batbite answered lightly. "I only ever insulted them on purpose. This RiverClan cat I knew, though - her name was Wasppaw - she was the one who looked at Tinystar and said, and I remember this to this day, 'What's that stubby little apprentice doing on the Great Rock?' That was the first Gathering I ever went to, after Lynx and I got back from the Twolegplace. Wasppaw was a newly named apprentice at the time, but some of the SkyClan cats were ready to fight her then and there, truce or no truce."

Setting off again, she continued. "The river is our last stop on this tour. And, of course, it separates us from RiverClan; who else? The rivalry between our Clans is older than any of the cats in either Clan, of course, but honestly I've always thought most of them were pretty alright - even if claiming they owned Sunningrocks when it's on our side of the river always seemed kind of pointless. What do they even need it for? Anyway, Wasppaw was a RiverClan cat, but she was cool, and it was a RiverClan warrior that taught me to swim when I was flailing about like a fish." They paused at the riverside, and Batbite purred with amusement. "I'd demonstrate, but it's a little cold for that at the moment. Still, consider that a standing offer to teach you when the weather's a little better. Anyway, RiverClan's leader was Torrentstar last I knew; and while most RiverClan cats are alright I can't say I care much for him in particular."

Seemingly just to prove a point, Batbite prodded at the water with her paw; then jerked it back and returned her attention to Coalpaw. "So cold... So! Battle training. Are you ready?"

Back to top Go down
Firehaze

Firehaze

Virgo Rat

PostSubject: Re: canary in a coal mine   canary in a coal mine EmptyThu 6 Feb 2020 - 5:18

Coalpaw watched his mentor, listening diligently as she spoke and snorting in amusement at the story of Wasppaw. He wondered briefly how one could be so mouse-brained, but guessed if it had been her first Gathering she wouldn't have known any better. He listened to her talk about RiverClan, glancing at the water as they neared the border. She was right, he had heard about the rivalry between the two Clans since he was a kit. He didn't understand why though, and why they fought so fiercely for Sunningrocks. If it was on ThunderClan's side of the river, why was it so bad that they laid claim to it? The young tom shook his head and watched as Batbite dipped her paws into the water and wrinkled his nose. "I think I'll pass on the swimming lesson," He mewed, not wanting to go near the water now or ever. He wasn't fond of being wet, his thin pelt not really keeping him warm even on the warmest days he had experienced. Thinking about it made his fur fluff up and he shuddered, teeth rattling as he shook his pelt to chase away the chill. As Batbite mentioned battle training his ears perked up and he turned his yellow eyes to her, excitement sparking in them as he gave an enthusiastic nod.
Back to top Go down
Holly
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Holly

Gemini Cat

PostSubject: Re: canary in a coal mine   canary in a coal mine EmptyThu 6 Feb 2020 - 9:09

"I'll tell you why I learned sometime," she told him, wondering if the tale of a cat who'd experienced the flood first-paw might change his mind. "For now, though... If you think you're ready, come at me with everything you've got!"

She took up a battle stance; waiting for Coalpaw to try and land the first blow.

Back to top Go down
Firehaze

Firehaze

Virgo Rat

PostSubject: Re: canary in a coal mine   canary in a coal mine EmptyThu 6 Feb 2020 - 14:56

Coalpaw watched her take a battle stance and tried to copy it, squaring his shoulders and wiggling his haunches as he tried to find a comfortable way to distribute hie weight. When he finnaly found it he turned his gaze to Batbite, his yellow eyes narrowed and calculating as he studied her stance. For being smaller than most warriors, she would be an even opponent for him. But he knew little of battle strategy and even less about how this she-cat fight or how to fight. Taking a deep breathe, he slightly shifted his weight as if to run to her right side, then feinted and switched to go to her left. His hindquarters skidded a little as he suddenly changed his trajectory and he gritted his teeth, yellow eyes wide as he frantically struck out with his paws.

(OOC: Is this where I should try the battle system??)
Back to top Go down
Holly
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Holly

Gemini Cat

PostSubject: Re: canary in a coal mine   canary in a coal mine EmptyThu 6 Feb 2020 - 21:10

(ooc: yep! go for it!)

Batbite swiftly darted out of the way after he moved to her left; and when Coalpaw skidded to a halt she laughed. "Too predictable! You'll have to try harder than that," she informed him. "You'll learn, though - that's why we're here. Try again."

Back to top Go down
Firehaze

Firehaze

Virgo Rat

PostSubject: Re: canary in a coal mine   canary in a coal mine EmptyFri 7 Feb 2020 - 5:26

Coalpaw grit his teeth in irritation as he turned and faced Batbite again, his yellow eyes narrowing in focus as he took his stance again, wiggling his haunches until he found his balance and flicking his tail as he studied his mentor. He thought about trying the feinting move again, but he was sure she probably predicted that. With a slow and steady inhale he bunched his muscles and launched himself forward, bringing a paw with sheathed claws up to strike at his mentor's cheek before he skidded away, yellow eyes bright.

Coalpaw used Front Paw Strike dealing 0 damage and costing 10 stamina

Coalpaw
20/20
70/80
Back to top Go down
Holly
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Holly

Gemini Cat

PostSubject: Re: canary in a coal mine   canary in a coal mine EmptySat 8 Feb 2020 - 9:44

"Good," Batbite said with just a hint of pride. "Again - and this time I'll show you something special," she added, wondering if the added incentive might help. She'd have to teach him what she was thinking eventually, anyway; may as well start early.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: canary in a coal mine   canary in a coal mine Empty

Back to top Go down

canary in a coal mine
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next