Warrior Clan Cats

The future's in your paws. Shape it well.

Roleplay in a cat Clan of warriors. Based off the Warriors series by Erin Hunter. Takes place in an AU before the cats in the books existed.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome to WCC! Here are our latest announcements:
Activity checks take place on the 1st of the month. PM a staff member with the completed form if you missed it.
Newleaf is finally here, and the Clans hope to find reprieve from the tough Leaf-bare.
Gatherings take place on the 1st of the month; keep your eyes out for a staff member's post!
Please feel free to hit up any staff member if you have any questions!

Flicker of Scorn (Closed)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Transient

Transient

Characters : [B]eetlekit, Torrentstar, Tigerleaf, Hailpaw, Mao
Clan/Rank : [B] RiverClan
Virgo Goat
Number of posts : 1444

Flicker of Scorn (Closed) Empty
PostSubject: Flicker of Scorn (Closed)   Flicker of Scorn (Closed) EmptyThu Jul 18, 2019 2:33 am

The day's first round of patrols had drawn to a close, and the island's central was filled with warriors and apprentices resting after a busy morning. At a glance, one would be able to tell that there were more cats than usual. Among the familiar pelts of the RiverClan cats, those of ShadowClan were also present. Two days had passed since the Gathering, and one day had passed since the ShadowClan loyalists had arrived. Despite being surrounded by foreign territory and foreign culture, they were proving themselves willing to work. It was a good thing, for prey in the forest had not fully returned yet. The hunting this greenleaf could be considered poor in comparison to the past. One could say that the ShadowClan cats pulling their weight was necessary if RiverClan were to provide them shelter. Even so, as Scorchclaw took in the sight of the fresh-kill pile, he frowned. The hunting patrols had worked hard all morning, yet it was easy to see that the prey would not be quite enough to feed two clans. The large tabby cast a glance about the clearing, before he silently made his decision. He would go alone. His clanmates deserved their rest before the next round of patrols. As for him, he still had the strength to hunt one more time. Missing a meal or two would not hurt him as badly as it would hurt a younger, weaker cat.

Having made up his mind, Scorchclaw swiftly crossed the clearing to the camp exit. Right as he reached it, however, a shadow fell across his path. The deputy's green gaze met with the familiar scarred visage of a certain ShadowClan cat. "Thornbriar." He greeted her emotionlessly. "How may I help you?"
Back to top Go down
Kari

Kari

Characters : Mutiny // Webkit // Roachkit
Clan/Rank : Loner // SC Kit // RC Kit
Capricorn Cat
Number of posts : 894

PostSubject: Re: Flicker of Scorn (Closed)   Flicker of Scorn (Closed) EmptyTue Jul 23, 2019 8:58 pm

Seeing the surly Riverclan deputy again for the first time since the flood wasn't so much a surprise but... it was certainly something. The tom seemed to be doing better now than he had when they'd last seen each other but not by much. Since their arrival, Thornbriar hadn't had much time to actually approach him. The clan had been busy getting situated in their temporary home, and she herself had been busy making sure Scorch actually got the rest Mothpaw told him to.

However, after helping direct warriors and apprentices into patrols alongside the clan that was hosting them she found herself with a moment of free time. She'd considered going on a lone hunt until she saw the Riverclan deputy making his way towards the camp entrance. As she watched him, part of her realized it might not be the best idea to hunt alone in another clan's territory. They were allies, but that didn't mean that the implications weren't there... So, she moved to intercept him.

His greeting was crisp and curt, and from the look in his cold green eyes he had other things on his mind. Dipping her head in a small gesture of respect, Thornbriar nodded towards the entrance and spoke in her usual rough, gravelly tone.

"I've taken care of what I needed to so far... would you like to hunt together?"

★☆★ Take what you can ★☆★

Flicker of Scorn (Closed) QNTjwT2

Mutiny  |  Webkit  |  Roachkit
Loner  |  Shadowclan Kit  |  Riverclan Kit
40/100  |  10/30  |  10/30

֎  Masterlist  ֍

Back to top Go down
Transient

Transient

Virgo Goat

PostSubject: Re: Flicker of Scorn (Closed)   Flicker of Scorn (Closed) EmptySat Jul 27, 2019 7:59 am

Scorchclaw was silent for a moment or two, simply meeting the ShadowClan warrior's gaze. Behind the impassive demeanor, careful consideration was going on. At last, he responded with a slight nod. "The more paws there are," He rumbled, "the more prey will be caught." With those simple words hanging in the air, their small patrol was decided. He headed through the opening in the reeds, wading into the shallow stream surrounding the island camp. It had been a while since the two cats had been in each other's company. A strange twist of fate, if their unusual relationship could be so described with such a term, had brought them together at the lake, but they had not so much as spoken a word to each other ever since the return. The RiverClan deputy had mixed feelings about his ShadowClan companion. While the majority of his being tended to regard her with the cold formality he showed to all the marsh-dwellers, another part of him held a certain degree of respect for Thornbriar. It was surprising, especially considering the cat he was; but it was true that she was different from most of the non-RiverClan cats he knew. ShadowClan could hardly have found a better cat to lead them in the wake of the flood. If it had not been for her presence, it was unlikely the two allied clans could have gotten along as well as they had. Somehow, there was a spark of similarity between the two cats―it was a similarity that could be felt with instinct, rather than rationale. He found that he did not detest her. There was no other ShadowClan warrior he would rather hunt with, so it was just as well that she was joining him.

Between the two of them, there were matters that needed to be brought up as well. One, in particular, was long overdue for discussion. Scorchclaw's thoughts drifted now to Dappleshine and her siblings. It was thanks to Thornbriar that Dewshine's litter had survived. So many moons had passed, and one of them had even reached warriorhood. Back then, when the helpless kits had been in desperate need of a queen, the scarred she-cat had volunteered to help. He had never forgotten what she had done for kits that were not even related to her by blood. Thanks had to be given where it was due. He was not a cat to forget his debts. "Thornbriar." He began, somewhat abruptly. By this time, they were already some distance from camp. There was no other cat around―just the two of them. Only the breeze would bear witness to their words. "RiverClan is indebted to you. Although many moons have passed, it was thanks to you that three orphaned kits could survive. When I first decided to raise them, I did not think much of the decision. But now it would not be inappropriate to say that I consider them..." He paused, considering the word, "family." It was true; they meant everything to him now.

"If there is any favor you wish of me in the future, I will fulfill it reasonably to the best of my ability. This is as much as I ought to do."
Back to top Go down
Kari

Kari

Capricorn Cat

PostSubject: Re: Flicker of Scorn (Closed)   Flicker of Scorn (Closed) EmptyThu Aug 01, 2019 11:33 am

The silence was comfortable as the two of them walked together. Admittedly, Thornbriar didn't mind the tom's company. She'd found throughout her life that while most cats from other clans tended to be obnoxious, Riverclanners seemed to be the most agreeable. Ivystar, Swanpetal, Scorchclaw, Dappleshine... even Wasppaw was a tolerable cat to be around and spend time with, though she supposed that had something to do with the kit being Swanpetal's. At the thought, an image of her pretty, pale furred friend flickered through her mind, and she once again wondered where the sharp tongued she-cat was.

Had she just missed her? Shadowclan hadn't been with Riverclan long, so it was a possibility. It wasn't like her pale-furred friend to not immediately charge up to her and demand her company though.

She opened her jaws to pose the question of Swanpetal's wellbeing to Scorchclaw when his gruff voice cut through the air.

The tom's words almost drew a smile from her... something she'd found herself doing more and more the longer she stayed with Riverclan. The deputy lived by a firm code of honor, that much was obvious. She wasn't dumb enough to simply brush off his offer. Her gut told her saying something as simple as 'No problem, don't worry about it.' would just insult the tom and his offer. Instead she simply nodded respectfully.

"Understood. I'll remember that."

֎  Masterlist  ֍

Back to top Go down
Transient

Transient

Virgo Goat

PostSubject: Re: Flicker of Scorn (Closed)   Flicker of Scorn (Closed) EmptyFri Aug 09, 2019 8:47 am

A small part of Scorchclaw wondered if he had made a mistake in making such a promise to Thornbriar. There was a possibility that he would end up regretting his decision. It was the part of him that had been taught to be skeptical, taught to doubt others. He did not deny it; that sense of distrust, woven along with his principles, was his guiding post now. In this world where the future was so wrapped in mist, one had to doubt before he even set forth a paw. But the concept of honor was as ingrained in him as that suspicion was. A debt always had to be repaid, and here was a debt like none other. The cost of that promise was what gave it its weight. Only time would reveal what Thornbriar did with the opportunity give her.

Once again, silence fell over the pair. As if to replace the conversation that the two cats had previously held, the breeze stirred the thick clusters of reeds. A whispered conversation started up among the streambank―nature blatantly gossiping about the odd pairing that it beheld. Neither one was given to small talk. Thus, it took a moment before Scorchclaw spoke up again. This time, the words came easier to him. "I used to think little of RiverClan's allies." His pale-green gaze, marked by the austerity which was so often his distinguishing characteristic, flicked to the she-cat's scarred visage. "However, time has shown me how foolish I was. ShadowClan has done much for RiverClan, just as we are returning the favor now. For your sake and mine, as well as those we both hold dear, I hope that this alliance will last." His paws came to a halt at the last statement, and he looked Thornbriar full in the face then. He did not quite know why he was telling her this. Had the perceived similarity between the two of them drawn it out of him? Nevertheless, if there was one thing he knew, he knew that she was a warrior he could respect, even if they were bound by their vows to different clans. Perhaps he had had a premonition, a brief glimpse into the future that would be Thornbriar's.
Back to top Go down
Kari

Kari

Capricorn Cat

PostSubject: Re: Flicker of Scorn (Closed)   Flicker of Scorn (Closed) EmptyFri Aug 09, 2019 3:27 pm

The light winds toyed with the she-cat's long fur as she studied the tom's face. There was no doubt in her mind of the genuine nature of his words, but she couldn't help but take a moment to truly consider what he was saying. Normally idle chit-chat annoyed her, but she knew after all the time they'd spent together after the flood that he was much the same way. His words weren't so lightly thrown around in the way Mothpaw's, Wildstrike's or Asterspark's were. A part of her almost wanted to consider him something not unlike a kindred soul.

He wasn't half bad... for a fish-eater.

Even when she was an apprentice, newly named and still being nagged by Olivelily, Thornbriar had felt a strange sort of kinship with Riverclan. Back then, she firmly believed the only good place for other clans was under her paws... but she had to admit out of all the clans and their brainless leaders, Ivystar knew what she was doing. Thornbriar half wondered if that early respect for the Riverclan leader had been what had made her more inclined to bother giving Swanpetal the time of day when they'd met for the first time... or rather, the third. Now here she was. Hunting alongside the very deputy of Riverclan, finding herself agreeing with him. Time certainly had changed her.

"You know, I've never been much of a fan of other clans... but I will admit that Riverclan isn't... awful. I've never bothered myself with trying to get along with other cats, especially outside of Shadowclan, but Swanpetal made herself out to be... someone I would consider a friend. An ally for sure... and in the time since the flood, I will say that I consider you to be just as reliable, if admittedly less talkative." Mild humor colored her tone at that. She herself was far from talkative, but she was fairly certain they both knew Swanpetal had her moments. "I hope for our alliance to persist as well. I can see no other clan worth our time and energy."

What would Sootstrike think of her now...?

She sighed almost inaudibly, turning her gaze to the clouds above. Much had happened lately... While Thornbriar wasn't accustomed to talking about her feelings, a strong urge to speak with Swanpetal swept over her once again. The she-cat was good at taking what little Thornbriar actually said and finding some way to rant about it so that she wouldn't have to.

And Thornbriar had a lot for Swanpetal to rant about.

Turning her gaze back to Scorchclaw, she raised the question finally... if in a mildly indirect way. "I haven't seen Swanpetal around since we arrived..."

֎  Masterlist  ֍

Back to top Go down
Transient

Transient

Virgo Goat

PostSubject: Re: Flicker of Scorn (Closed)   Flicker of Scorn (Closed) EmptyWed Aug 14, 2019 8:13 am

The question came out of the blue. At the name "Swanpetal," Scorchclaw stiffened slightly. He had not known that the two she-cats had been acquainted, let alone that Thornbriar thought fondly of Swanpetal. In a moment, he saw the unpleasant fate that had been committed to him. It was clear what the ShadowClan warrior wanted to know, even if she did not pose the question in a direct manner. He was silent for a moment or two, sifting through the many words he could use in search of the right ones. At last, he began in a low rumble, "I thank you for your praise." There was a slight pause accompanied by a twitch of his tail, before the large tabby went on in the same solemn tone. "Our opinions seem to be in alignment. Both of our clans could use more like-minded cats. As for Swanpetal, it is regrettable; she passed away a few moons ago in the mountains. I hear that she went down fighting. While I was not present, her daughter and my apprentice Wasppaw was. The pelt of the very dog that took Swanpetal's life lines her nest." Dancing around the topic out of misguided sensitivity would do no good here. He knew Thornbriar wanted the truth. Thus, he gave it to her as succinctly as he could. Being the bearer of bad news, while it left a slightly bitter aftertaste in his mouth, was a task someone had to take up. The last words leaving him caused his thoughts to wander back to said apprentice. His gaze darkened at the remembrance.

With the death of her mother, something within Wasppaw had broken beyond repair. Scorchclaw might have been her mentor, but even he was unable to bring back what had been lost. He could only try to fill the hole through his imperfect effort. He was not trying to be regarded as her father―no. Leaving aside the fact that he would never stoop as low as to try to replace someone that precious, he was simply not good enough to be hers. Dappleshine had been a miracle, and a part of him still struggled to believe that she was truly grateful to him. Dewshine's daughter was just as kind as her mother had been, perhaps a little too kind.
Back to top Go down
Kari

Kari

Capricorn Cat

PostSubject: Re: Flicker of Scorn (Closed)   Flicker of Scorn (Closed) EmptySat Aug 24, 2019 2:39 pm

Scorchclaw's words drew pause from Thornbriar, and she just... couldn't hide the emotion that flickered up within her for a moment.

So Swanpetal was gone...

In all honesty part of her had suspected the fate of her friend had not been a pleasant one, but at the same time hearing the confirmation from Scorchclaw was...

Thornbriar let out a slow breath, closing her eye. "... I see." One more spark in her life had been snuffed out... and once more she'd not been there to prevent it. She felt for the little fireball of a kit she'd left behind. If Thornbriar had been more apt with words, she'd probably consider approaching the tortoiseshell. But comfort wasn't exactly her strong suit...

What could she really say anyways? The yawning emptiness within the large she-cat just seemed to grow wider every moon as it was.

With every loss, she felt it expand.

֎  Masterlist  ֍

Back to top Go down
Transient

Transient

Virgo Goat

PostSubject: Re: Flicker of Scorn (Closed)   Flicker of Scorn (Closed) EmptyThu Sep 05, 2019 8:48 am

Scorchclaw watched the ShadowClan warrior in silence. He was no stranger to loss himself. The grief that seemed to take one's very breath away, the gaping sense of emptiness as the days passed―these experiences were the unfortunate side to life as a warrior. No. In Scorchclaw's opinion, it was the unfortunate side to living. As long as one had the capacity to feel pain, reality would surely bring a fair share of suffering. Even if he did not know exactly how Thornbriar felt at that moment, a portion of that suffering was universal to anyone who had lived long enough to experience loss. The silence that lapsed over them this time felt heavier, darker―even suffocating. He did not regret telling her the truth. However, the weaker, more emotional side of him wished that there had never been that truth to tell in the first place. Was it guilt he felt? The logical side of him whispered its cold, cold thoughts in his ears in an attempt to stifle that uncomfortable sensation. This was not the first time he had had to play cruelty's messenger, and it would not be the last.

Fortunately or unfortunately, neither of the two needed to change the topic. It was forcefully changed for them, when a new scent spilled out onto their path and announced an unexpected visitor. The scent was one that Scorchclaw could never forget. At times, he found it even in his dreams. It was foul enough to sting the back of one's throat, and he grimaced instinctively. "Fox!" He uttered only one word of warning, before the russet pelt showed itself. The fox must have been a relatively young one. It seemed startled for a moment, as if it had not been expecting to see the two cats. Then in the next moment, its features contorted in a snarl. Scorchclaw found himself moving automatically to intercept the beast, a threatening hiss slipping from his jaws at the same instance the fox lunged. Narrowly avoiding the snapping jaws, the large tabby slashed at the exposed hide. "Thornbriar!" Almost as if it were the most natural thing in the world, he called out for the ShadowClan warrior to assist him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Flicker of Scorn (Closed)   Flicker of Scorn (Closed) Empty

Back to top Go down

Flicker of Scorn (Closed)
Page 1 of 1