Warrior Clan Cats

The future's in your paws. Shape it well.

Roleplay in a cat Clan of warriors. Based off the Warriors series by Erin Hunter. Takes place in an AU before the cats in the books existed.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome to WCC! Here are our latest announcements:
Activity checks take place on the 1st of the month. PM a staff member with the completed form if you missed it.
Newleaf is finally here, and the Clans hope to find reprieve from the tough Leaf-bare.
Gatherings take place on the 1st of the month; keep your eyes out for a staff member's post!
Please feel free to hit up any staff member if you have any questions!

Litter Dilemma (Help Me D: )

Go down 
2 posters

What should Tara do?
Pick the 1 male available from Mother A
Litter Dilemma (Help Me D: ) Vote_lcap50%Litter Dilemma (Help Me D: ) Vote_rcap
 50% [ 3 ]
Pick a male from Mother B
Litter Dilemma (Help Me D: ) Vote_lcap17%Litter Dilemma (Help Me D: ) Vote_rcap
 17% [ 1 ]
Pick a female from Mother A
Litter Dilemma (Help Me D: ) Vote_lcap33%Litter Dilemma (Help Me D: ) Vote_rcap
 33% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 6

AuthorMessage
Tara
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Tara

Characters : Falconmoon, Auburnrain, Sagefeather, Asmodeus, Snowkit
Cancer Goat
Number of posts : 3056

Litter Dilemma (Help Me D: ) Empty
PostSubject: Litter Dilemma (Help Me D: )   Litter Dilemma (Help Me D: ) EmptyTue Jun 27, 2023 8:25 pm

I will keep this as short and sweet as I can (but I'm bad at it). After wanting a doberman for 26 years (I'm 32) I finally have the opportunity to pick from a two different litters, but there is a dilemma here.

I was #2 in line for a male puppy. The litter that I was waiting for was born on my birthday which I thought was cool. Hours go by and I get an update from the breeder: Only 1 male... and the person ahead of me on the waiting list wants this male. Big Sad. Another litter is due in 3 days and the mom of this litter is the sister of the previous mom that I picked. She is a little bit smaller, a little less red... and is slightly less healthy than her sister. The father is the same for both litters. The breeder said I was welcome to pick a female pup from the original mother I wanted puppies from, or I can wait to see if there are males from her sister and I would get first pick.

Next day comes... and the breeder messages me again. Apparently the person ahead of me that has claim to the 1 male pup told her that unless the pup is 100% clear of all genetic problems (a 12.5% chance with the way the genetics are for the mom and dad) he doesn't want him. He intended to use him for breeding and will only be happy with a genetically clear dog. So basically... the pup is more than likely going to be mine if I wanted him.

Here is the problem.

I am looking for certain personality traits that will not be visible until the pup is at least 6 weeks old. I intended to have the breeder test for those, and she agreed, but she would like for me to decide at least which litter I am picking from so that people behind me on the waiting list will know what is still available for them. This is understandable and fair. Well... I am gambling either way. I could say I will stick with the original litter I picked (We will call this Mother A) or I can say that after her sister (Mother B) has her litter and I have many options for the males I can tell her I intend to choose from that one.

Mother A

• Clear for DCM 1 and DCM 2 (heart condition that is a big killer of dobermans)
  • Carrier for vWD (Blood clotting disorder like hemophilia in humans)

Mother B

• Clear for DCM 1
  • Carrier for DCM 2
  • Carrier for vWD

The Father

• Clear for DCM 1
  • Carrier for DCM 2
  • Carrier for vWD

So what this means:

Pups from Mother A

• 100% Clear of DCM 1
  • 50% chance Clear of DCM 2, 50% chance Carrier of DCM 2
  • 25% chance Clear of vWD, 50% chance Carrier of vWD, 25% chance Affected and will have vWD

Pups from Mother B

• 100% Clear of DCM 1
  • 25% chance Clear of DCM 2, 50% chance Carrier of DCM 2, 25% chance Affected and is at an increased risk for DCM
  • 25% chance Clear of vWD, 50% chance Carrier of vWD, 25% chance Affected and will have vWD

So the difference in health between the two mothers isn't terribly drastic, but it is enough to make me ponder my options.

I definitely only have 1 option for a male from the healthier mom and if I test him at 6 weeks and he doesn't test well... I'm basically stuck with him because the male dogs in these litters get claimed very very fast (I am one of the few buyers that want to see the dog's personality first I guess...). So his health is definitely going to be better, but because he is my only option I am taking a very big chance with his personality traits. I know environment affects a dog's personality a fair amount, but what I am testing for is genetic and nurture and training can't change that (nerves).

However, lets say Mother B has 4 males or so. I get first pick. I now have options for when I am testing for those personality traits. However, I am now gambling health a bit. With Mother A, very likely to have a genetically more clear dog, but if that dog is a big fat coward... I have no options and I have to take him home, basically. With Mother B, I have a higher chance of getting the personality I am looking for and a pup with strong nerves (basically makes getting him into bite sports or protection work possible, both of which I am interested in).

I do have a 3rd option, which would be to just pick a female from Mother A, and I might end up doing that. I prefer a male because they are more eager to please whereas females are more independent, males bond to the entire household and females tend to bond to only 1 person (and I guarantee that person will be my husband because I am the one that put forth the effort, money and research so of course she won't pick me Evil Ghost ), I also don't want to deal with the heat cycles, the mess and the overall female dog -ness that come with having a female. Yes, I intend to spay/neuter, but not until the dog is at least 18 months old for the health benefits of the hormones (google it if you don't know and want to, it would be a lot to explain here lol). Still, it is very possible I may pick a female instead, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

Told you I was bad at keeping things brief... Anyway there is a poll. Please vote and definitely feel free to ask questions or comment. Remember, this isn't just my dog... this is WCC's dog (I guess? I know at least 2 people mentioned this lol)

Falconmoon | Skyclan | Tier 5 Warrior #66ccff X
Auburnrain | Windclan | Tier 3 Warrior #CC9900 X
Sagefeather | Shadowclan | Tier 3 Warrior #99cc99 X
Asmodeus | Rogue | Tier 3 Rogue #960502 X
Snowkit | Skyclan | Kit #996699 X
Plotting pages
* = Disabled Stats

*** CLICK THE X'S BY THE NAMES OF THE CATS FOR CREATION TOPICS ***
Back to top Go down
Kitty
Former Staff
Former Staff
Kitty

Characters : Murkyriver ♀ | Mistwalker ♀ | Mintglade ♀ | Crakeburn ♀ | Snowvixen ♀ | Hollowpaw ♀
Clan/Rank : Riverclan | Skyclan | Windclan
Sagittarius Horse
Number of posts : 4949

PostSubject: Re: Litter Dilemma (Help Me D: )   Litter Dilemma (Help Me D: ) EmptyWed Jun 28, 2023 5:52 am

Personally, I firmly believe that you've been fighting for this dog for so long, you should go for the one that you want. A male, born on your birthday no less. I know that as a pet, the health isn't nearly as bad, but I also think that you will have a better time with the male in litter A.

Do you know of the parents' temperaments at all to be able to gauge chances when it comes to the personality? As in, do they have a more solid temperament, or is one mother better than the other? That could be a possible way to help guide your decision.

My gut, personally, says to go for your Birthday Male. (Twin male? Sure. It was your birthday). I'm just one voice here, but I've been following along The Saga.

MurkyriverMintgladeCrakeburnSnowvixenMistwalkerHollowpawMountainkit
Back to top Go down
Tara
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Tara

Characters : Falconmoon, Auburnrain, Sagefeather, Asmodeus, Snowkit
Cancer Goat
Number of posts : 3056

PostSubject: Re: Litter Dilemma (Help Me D: )   Litter Dilemma (Help Me D: ) EmptyWed Jun 28, 2023 4:50 pm

The mothers are sisters and are similar in personality, with Mother A being slightly more headstrong. They both walk well on leashes, are gentle with children and don't resource guard. Their genetic diversity is fantastic. No line breeding and no relatives in common on their mother's or father's side. The dad is from 100% champion show lines with his mother actually having Grand champion in her list of titles. I've seen her pictures and she is the textbook example of an american doberman. Weirdly enough, she also has her WAC title (Working Aptitude Certification) which isn't too terribly common in american dobermans, let alone females. To get the WAC she has to show no inappropriate aggression towards neutral or friendly strangers, but she also has to show no fear of odd terrain (walking over a tarp and some wire on the ground) or gunshots, must alert to the presence of a potentially dangerous individual, and not back down when the "hostile stranger" charges at her with a stick raised high like he's going to hit her. You can find WAC videos on youtube if you're curious.

The dad himself, from what I have been told but haven't been able to see since he is a stud that my breeder doesn't own, has a very calm demeanor but takes after his mom in the case of potential threats. I pretty much have to take their word for it, as Texas is too far to drive to go see lol.

Falconmoon | Skyclan | Tier 5 Warrior #66ccff X
Auburnrain | Windclan | Tier 3 Warrior #CC9900 X
Sagefeather | Shadowclan | Tier 3 Warrior #99cc99 X
Asmodeus | Rogue | Tier 3 Rogue #960502 X
Snowkit | Skyclan | Kit #996699 X
Plotting pages
* = Disabled Stats

*** CLICK THE X'S BY THE NAMES OF THE CATS FOR CREATION TOPICS ***
Back to top Go down
Kitty
Former Staff
Former Staff
Kitty

Characters : Murkyriver ♀ | Mistwalker ♀ | Mintglade ♀ | Crakeburn ♀ | Snowvixen ♀ | Hollowpaw ♀
Clan/Rank : Riverclan | Skyclan | Windclan
Sagittarius Horse
Number of posts : 4949

PostSubject: Re: Litter Dilemma (Help Me D: )   Litter Dilemma (Help Me D: ) EmptyThu Jun 29, 2023 8:22 am

Yeah, I still have a gut feeling leaning for your male in litter A.

MurkyriverMintgladeCrakeburnSnowvixenMistwalkerHollowpawMountainkit
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Litter Dilemma (Help Me D: )   Litter Dilemma (Help Me D: ) Empty

Back to top Go down

Litter Dilemma (Help Me D: )
Page 1 of 1