Warrior Clan Cats

The future's in your paws. Shape it well.

Roleplay in a cat Clan of warriors. Based off the Warriors series by Erin Hunter. Takes place in an AU before the cats in the books existed.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome to WCC! Here are our latest announcements:
Activity checks take place on the 1st of the month. PM a staff member with the completed form if you missed it.
Newleaf is finally here, and the Clans hope to find reprieve from the tough Leaf-bare.
Gatherings take place on the 1st of the month; keep your eyes out for a staff member's post!
Please feel free to hit up any staff member if you have any questions!

In Regards to Ebony [Important Announcement]

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Maple
Former Staff
Former Staff
Maple

Characters : *Dustcloud {D}, *Blazeflight {B}, *Silentstrike {Sil}, *Gustpuddle {G}, *Swiftflight {Sw}, *Fennelpaw {Fn}, *Jaysong {Ja}, *Fallowlight {Fa}, *Fern {Fe}, *Brackenberry {Br}, *Ivystar {Iv}, *Specklekit {Sp}, *Beanheart {Be}, *Freckleface {Fr}, Briarthorn {Br}, *Eris {E}, *Hyacinthia {Hy}, *Otterdance {Ot}, Nightbird {Ni}, *Olivepaw {Ol}, Smudgekit {Sm}
Clan/Rank : Tier Five SkyClan Warrior {Br}, Tier Two SkyClan Warrior {Ni}, WindClan Kit {Sm}
Leo Monkey
Number of posts : 4827

In Regards to Ebony [Important Announcement] Empty
PostIn Regards to Ebony [Important Announcement]

Spoiler:

Hello WCC,

Last week, we had an incident involving a user, Ebony. We apologize for taking longer than we would have liked to get an announcement up, but we will outline all of that in this announcement.

As a warning before moving forward: there will be discussions of pedophilia jokes, mentions of sexual assault, and some censored cussing in images. We hate that we have to bring any of this up publicly with users of a young age around, but we think it is important to be transparent. Our main announcement is contained in a spoiler just below these paragraphs. There are content warnings throughout both announcements, and the sensitive subjects are tagged and underneath spoilers for our users' safety.

Below is our explanation of events and at the bottom is the information Ebony left us following her ban. We normally do not provide such a long explanation of events, but given requests for more details following the situation, we have opted to show as much information as we can.

The TL;DR is Ebony made jokes regarding pedophilia in the WCC Discord server and one user asked for the subject to be changed. Ebony took offense and doubled down, which led to users coming to us to express discomfort and feeling unsafe. Due to users having come to us previously with similar complaints, we opted to ban Ebony for the safety of our users.

Here is the full explanation:
The content in this spoiler is relatively lengthy. There are necessary trigger warnings included under the cut.:

We asked Ebony if she would like a member announcement to be put up. What she sent us has been posted in the topic Regarding Ebony’s Ban by a burner account Ebony created. We will still follow her wishes and post what she sent us.

Content Warning:

Finally: given the heatedness of this situation, we have allowed Ebony to post with her burner account Lysithea in the thread regarding her ban. We will allow her to post one more time to this announcement for transparency. We ask that she does not continue to use the burner account after that, to keep in line with our final decision. If she does anyway, we will have to ban it as well.

This situation had grown into a far greater spectacle than anyone on staff anticipated. A lot of details are lined out in the announcement contained above, but due to events in the aftermath, staff will not be reversing Ebony’s ban at this time. We understand that not everyone will agree with our decision, but staff’s decision is final.

After review, staff has decided this ban is not permanent or without appeal; Ebony is able to appeal the ban in three months, a shorter time period than typical site rules. We apologize for any hurt this has brought the userbase. Staff will answer any further questions that members on WCC have.

♛  Site Baby Sister  ♛

| Briarthorn | Nightbird | Smudgekit |
| T5 SkC Warrior | T2 SkC Warrior | WC Kit |
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

In Regards to Ebony [Important Announcement] :: Comments

Jay
Re: In Regards to Ebony [Important Announcement]
Post Sat 24 Sep 2022 - 10:09 by Jay
I'm gonna call Ebony "Tree" throughout this, fair warning, I can't stop myself. To ensure nothing gets done to me for bringing stuff up inside a spoiler, I will also spoil the following bit.

Spoiler:

I hope this acts as a more measured approach to the situation than my last post on here, which I apologize for, that was pretty bad of me.
Aspen
Post Sat 24 Sep 2022 - 10:27 by Aspen
Thank you for posting this and providing the full story, as I'm sure not all of us were aware of everything. I hope this will be enough to clear things up and help ease the tensions on-site, I hate seeing my beloved WCC in chaos like this.

my two cents following Jay's post:

Not to sweep anything under the rug, but I do truly hope this all gets resolved soon, emotionally and mentally.
Fish
Post Sat 24 Sep 2022 - 11:14 by Fish
my piece:
Nerd
Post Sat 24 Sep 2022 - 15:03 by Nerd (Online)
I hate drama and also don’t know how to do a spoiler so I won’t say too much, but as someone with a messy background I see a lot of victim blaming here. I think Ebs shouldn’t have made those jokes and could try harder on the language thing, but I also think staff are being kinda two-faced here. Ultimately I don’t think anyone involved is a bad person, and I will continue to RP with whoever’s here unless something more drastic happens. Again, I hate drama, but I feel like as a fellow traumatized person I have a duty to support Ebony in some way.

EDIT: This does not mean I agree with harassing and name-calling staff! Just wanted to make sure that’s out there. Again, please quit the extra drama.
Sleepy
Post Sat 24 Sep 2022 - 17:23 by Sleepy
We received earnest apologies from Down, which I greatly respect and appreciate. And I'm very grateful and relieved that staff acknowledged where they mis-stepped and did the right thing by reducing the ban. And I said as much to them, I think the adjusted punishment is fair enough. It's a huge load off my chest when I was beginning to be afraid this place would be poisoned for us forever.

I don't have anything against anybody on WCC and will always want the best for this site. Frankly, I'm dead tired after work right now, and after stressing over this for a week and writing 2,000 word text walls in DMs on this subject, I'm way too exhausted to type up yet another essay. I'll try to keep this brief as I can but I'm pretty scatter-brained and it concerns my relationship personally, so we'll see.

Aspen wrote:
The backlash that followed was unwarrented, and could have been solved with a simple DM rather than a big blow-up in a public server.

I said this to staff as well, but for what it's worth, I'm very sorry how ugly things got. I don't condone everything that was said by our friends, and I'm not looking to personally attack or insult anybody. But it was an ugly subject. There were disgusting labels being thrown around on a platform where Ebs could not defend herself, being that she was banned/muted. When we use that kind of language, and when staff had already directly stated to Ebs there was no appeal or way to argue her case, then there is no other recourse except to speak out publicly.

The backlash was a direct consequence of a heavy-handed, unfair action and we can't just blame the people who were mad about it. It was badly and tactlessly handled. Staff has personally owned up to the fact that it was too extreme, and how the language used surrounding her ban was hurtful.

And that's not some indictment against staff as human beings, but the fact is, people in authority make mistakes and it has to be up to the larger community to hold them accountable and keep them balanced. If this had been a temporary ban in the first place, there wouldn't have been major backlash on this scale.

Yeah, it's regrettable that it all unfolded like this, but the severity of the punishment itself was unwarranted to begin with. It was only natural that there would be a massive backlash, which we should all be able to acknowledge in hindsight. I'm sure staff acted with good intentions, but it was still a mistake which caused real hurt and angst.

Of course, I understand that people support their staff, and why they're stressed about a bunch of "outsiders" flooding their server. And they're going to back their own community up. But if it were anyone in this position, they would want their friends to advocate for them, and speak out on their behalf, and defend their integrity.

on my relationship which requires a content warning i guess:

Staff have apologized for this and promised to rectify it, which is the most important thing to me, but I would like if that was made clear to everyone. Ebs should not make you feel unsafe, Ebs is not a dangerous person, and Ebs certainly shouldn't be painted with that kind of brush or viewed with that lens whatsoever.
Splotch
Post Sat 24 Sep 2022 - 18:25 by Splotch
I can concur that Down has apologized properly, and it felt genuine. Ebs is my best friend; seeing her get called these labels was very difficult. Unfortunately, I live across the country from her and cannot be there physically to help her with the sleepless nights and the anxiety. And for a long time, I just watched this all play out because I simply didn't have the words to explain how wrong it was. How dismantling this entire situation has been. Had I tried to say more, I would have also been part of the big blow-up. It wouldn't have reflected well on Ebs either had I done so.

But here is the thing. I may be repeating Sleepy here, I had this half-written before he posted. But, what are we to do when Ebs is muted and then banned with no option to speak out about it? Message staff and be ignored by all of them? Because we've been waiting for this post for a while, I felt we were being stonewalled. And, I understand. The staff has a life outside of the discord and site, and I'm sorry for Maple's loss. It's hard losing a loved one, and I know because I dealt with it last month. But, it's part of having multiple staff that can pick up the slack. From what we have seen and experienced, speaking out was the only option. Making others see what was happening was the only way to share our frustration.

Yeah, I'm sorry. 'Outsiders' (90% of whom are from WCC originally) can't stand by while a friend is being called terrible things. When something unfair happens, people speak out about it. And, man, I sure hope the rest of you experience that too. To experience having friends at your back, ready to defend you from accusations. And before I get the "she called HERSELF that" comments. She hides the pain she gets from being called those things by beating them to the punch. It hurts less when it comes from yourself. And these were made in the ADULT (+18) discord channel. I understand it isn't unmoderated, but seriously?

A lot of this announcement seems to be staff trying to shift the blame back on Ebs after a week of not saying anything about what happened. I respect staff. Being in your position on a website isn't easy. I get it. And I'm sad I've lost friendships over this. Genuinely. But I'd rather defend my friend who has been wronged by staff and, honestly, members too. I was looking forward to rping with Ebs, and making our silly little cats kiss on the Sunningrocks. But you can't have nice things, I guess.

I'm not sure if you can trust me on this. A member of over ten years, who was friends, I hope, with a lot of people on the discord before all of this. But if you feel like you knew me at all, know this.  Ebony is not a threat to anyone. She is genuinely one of the nicest people I've ever met, with a heart of GOLD. I don't know many people who willingly put themselves in the way of COVID to support the ill, who will hold the hands of dying elderly when they have no one else by their side. Sleepy and Ebs have been very kind to accept apologies thus far, and they deserve more than what they've gotten.

They're kind. Maybe I'm not as much. I won't forgive you for hurting them BOTH like this.

In Regards to Ebony [Important Announcement]

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Warrior Clan Cats :: Announcements :: Announcements-
Jump to: