Warrior Clan Cats

The future's in your paws. Shape it well.

Roleplay in a cat Clan of warriors. Based off the Warriors series by Erin Hunter. Takes place in an AU before the cats in the books existed.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome to WCC! Here are our latest announcements:
Activity checks take place on the 1st of the month. PM a staff member with the completed form if you missed it.
Newleaf is finally here, and the Clans hope to find reprieve from the tough Leaf-bare.
Gatherings take place on the 1st of the month; keep your eyes out for a staff member's post!
Please feel free to hit up any staff member if you have any questions!

Make WCC Great Again

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Seer
Former Staff
Former Staff
Seer

Characters : Kestrelpaw ♀ | Jaypaw ♂ | Hawkpaw ♂
Clan/Rank : ThunderClan Apprentice | RiverClan Apprentice | SkyClan Apprentice
Libra Cat
Number of posts : 3278

Make WCC Great Again - Page 2 Empty
PostMake WCC Great Again

With the increasingly absurdly huge clans, cats being created yet never rped beyond bare minimum or not even touched beyond their creations/apprentice ceremonies, staff have come to you, our community to pitch a rather significant change to the status quo.

For the longest time, WCC has had 5 slots, one for each clan, though having one cat in each clan was never truly enforced. This came from the days our site was much smaller in number, with roughly 20 active members on average. As certain clans were neglected and our member base became far more experienced in handling their characters, we slowly began to introduce more slots and increase leniency on our character limit to balance out the site.

Despite it being a positive at the time, the current system with rper's have potentially 8 characters, has lead to a flood of characters that simply take up space on Allegiances without being actively RPed. Naturally, we are aware that some of you are excellent rpers that are handling all your characters well, each holding an important position in their clans and having their own character arcs. However, one look at RiverClan and ThunderClan should make it undeniable that this system isn't working as intended. It isn't that people are intentionally doing this, but the simple fact that handling 5+ characters is a toll, even on the best.

Which is why that we are suggesting a reduction of the character limit to be 3 slots with no other "special" slot e.g. Elders/Queens. We have debated this over several days, calling on former staff to pitch their opinions and asking members that rped on WCC back when we had a one character only policy. We believe this change will still allow people not feel trapped in one clan, but also encourage rpers to be more attached to their characters. To invest their time in their three characters. Also, this smaller limit would allow for leaders to actually spend time with all their clan members hopefully, considering there will be a reduction of the cat population overall on WCC. For leaders to know each cat in their clan by name, and for clan plots/betrayals/code-breaking to really have consequences.

We don't intend this as a punishment, an attack or any other negative thing. The intention behind this was to provide our members with a closer-knit community and a tighter cast of cats on the site. As for how we'd implement such a change. Staff have a unique idea that will involve a calamity hitting the forest. This will lead to the death of several cats, and serve as a soft reboot. Members would be allowed to keep up to 3 of their current cats (this includes any elders or queens).

Naturally, this is a rather weighted decision. Therefore, we ask for your opinions and thoughts about this potential sitewide change. Please feel free to express your thoughts, however please be civil in your discussion.

Make WCC Great Again - Page 2 Img_0312
current characters | semi-return from inactivity
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

Make WCC Great Again :: Comments

RamenDoodle
Re: Make WCC Great Again
Post Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:32 pm by RamenDoodle
I know i've been on this site for like, 3 days, so I should probably butt out i honestly don't know that much, but i think this would be a good idea. But instead of three cats, maybe four. I was hesitant to create my riverclan kit because i see that it has more of every rank than any other clan. I was shocked to see how little amount Skyclan had compared to it. :/ I can't really say or suggest anything else about how to solve issues, like what happens to the cats after there cut off the list.

I'd respect the staff's decision either way it goes, but i just wanted to stick my two cents in :P
Cays
Post Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:34 pm by Cays
There isn't a whole lot I can say that hasn't already been mentioned in the giant post the Seer just did, but here I go anyways.

I am in full support of dropping down to 3 slots from 5 for these very simple reasons:

- More community within the clans.

Let's face it; cats break the code left, right and center. When it's finally revealed, what happens? Next to nothing. Only one or two cats even bat an eye beyond the reveal post because it's hard to know who they are since they are lost in a sea of characters. This feels odd and disjointed. I'm sure we've all read the books, clans are supposed to be a tight knit community where something like a forbidden romance or accused murder of all things are supposed to have consequences. Right now, nothing happens. Cats simply don't care because Rpers are too busy to keep track of what happened.

- Deeper plots

A person with 3 characters may be able to more easily make deeper and more thorough plots than trying to do all 5 and stress themselves out. Maybe it's just me, but I think this limit will allow for more time and care in posts as well as deeper consideration as to how deep a plot can go. Maximise the potential.

I do not support the stance of 'activity checkers' for a very simple reason of it's own. Who are we to say that 'you must be this active to be here?'. This is a site that is meant to be fun for everyone, but if we start demeening people for not being able to be as active as others it invites us to become bullies and shove inactive people against the wall of wcc with a threat of taking characters away. We become villains, simply because of this 'or else' attitude. Having less characters may feel inviting to those often short on time.

Now, what I would like is at least 1 special slot for Elders or PQ's, yet... the unfortunate fact? They don't get used. While it isn't impossible to use them (no one ever said an elder or queen can't ever leave camp to watch apprentices train or take a sunning trip to warm their coats) I've seen very few times they are actually used. So while I support the slot, I understand not keeping it.

I may edit this later, but for now

- Cays out.
Stags
Post Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:53 pm by Stags
Heh.
Well, kill my characters off I guess. I keep making plans to be active but life is just too busy.
I don't see why it's a big deal, I personally think restricting clan registration is a better idea, but since I'm not active anymore and have slowly lost interest in the site all together, I guess I don't have much of a vote.
Ice
Post Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:39 am by Ice
I still think having a single elder OR queen slot is reasonable, as a compromise of sorts. That would 4 cats total, no more, not less. That's not too high of a number and will still reduce clan numbers greatly.
Anonymous
Post Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:10 am by Guest
I think the problem with the elder/queen slot is that it suggests that elders/queens are less important than clan cats/less worthy of effort by default. And as a result, people just treat that slot like a disposable slot.

If you have no ideas for how to rp them or would prefer to rp another character over a certain cat, tbh, that's a sign you should kill them off imo.

Anyway, I support Staff's decision to nuke the site into 3 slots.

I for one embrace the dark abyss of death.

Also regarding a system where "good" rpers get more slots etc. Y'all literally tried to murder staff over nepotism. Asking for a system where staff arbitrarily decide who's more deserving is a salt war waiting to happen. No thank.

If we go soft-reboot, we go soft-reboot together. Everyone faces the music and sells all but three cats to Seer to devour.
RoawImKoatt
Post Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:16 am by RoawImKoatt
Me: *Looks up form my sketchbook were I'm currently writing down not my first, not my second but THIRD character idea* "Well f*** me then"
No but like seriously I have three characters that I want to roleplay with here and I'm thinking about killing of two of my current characters... Which I really don't want to do in the first place!

I would really not want this to happen, I sometimes feel like 5 characters isn't enough for me (And I haven't ranked up my warriors enough to become elders or perma queens yet).

Yes I understand that people would probably be more active with their characters but for those who are really active with all 5 characters? Each character have their own story and no character is like any other, I personally would hate if this happend I wouldn't leave WCC tho.

I just think there are other ways to fix this problem and I also think it's the roleplayers responsability to make sure that their characters gets used.
Jay Bird
Post Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:34 am by Jay Bird
Although almost everything is said, I'll put some of my input here.

As the rper of the leader of the largest clan, I must say handling it isn't as hard and I see no problem with it. However, my main problem with this unjustified growth is that is practically impossible to keep real, close relationships among clanmates due to this large size and how some of the cats listed in the Allegiances aren't even active (in the roleplaying sense).

Even if this change (if it happens) will surely shrink Riverclan's numbers, I'm okay with the three number, though it won't be easy for me to kill some of my kitties. However, I must say that 5 has always been too much for me and trying to use them all + real-life work and studies is not a possible thing. Inevitably, 1 or 2 don't do much after completing their requirements and their initial plots and I just let them live because I suck killing my charas. This is a soft-reboot that will help almost all roleplayers to actually create deeper characters, plots and clan relationships since they will only have to take care of three characters and nothing more.

I would like to say that I like the Elder slot just for the sake of existing (because clans should have elders) but it's true that they don't get roleplayed much and don't serve the purpose they serve in the books. Perma-queens was just a way to have more characters that can have kits without killing one (like an Elder +) and this soft-reboot is clearly looking for the contrary. That's why I'm 100% okay with taking the perma-queen rank away for good and if the elder thing is inevitable, then I wouldn't complain much.

For now, this has been the only reasonable way to fix the issue we have with the difference of numbers in clan but as staff, I'm willing to hear other offerings (also, the idea of privileging some rper that can have more cats than others is not in my options list for the possible solutions). And, on the other hand, I'm 100% against the idea of limiting how many cats can be registered in one clan exclusively. We should not restrict people from having their cats in the clan they want.
Fox
Post Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:21 pm by Fox
I can see the things that are leading up to this, but it is not the decision that I would personally want to make. Instead of three characters all together, I would take the total down from 8 to 5. Four normal slots, and one elder/perma queen slot. Or just 4 slots total. (As stated by Ash)

As to the inactive people, the activity check, as stated by Falcon and Lengxue, could contain a link to a recent post, to prove that you're actually posting.

I would be very sad if I ended up having to kill two of my cats. One, (Not counting the elders and perma queens, who would probably also die), would bring the total to 4, which would be a nice balance between the 5 and 3.

As for not being able to post with 5 characters... People, there is no requirement to use all your slots. If you think you can't manage 5 cats, take responsibility to keep it at the amount that's right for you. Don't let your poor decisions keep other people limited when they can actually handle 5 cats.

I wouldn't rage-quit or anything like that if the character limit was brought to 3, but the site would be less enjoyable to me, and many others.
Anonymous
Post Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:25 pm by Guest
Amen Fox, about limited everyone because of the choices of some. Ya'll need self control (says I, who lacks self control but also loves and has cherished all 5 of my slots). I agree with several other things stated but I'm too lazy to type more opinions :3
Icee
Post Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:38 pm by Icee
I am all for this culling.

The initial reason we had so many slots was 1. to encourage people to join every clan, 2. because the community was so small that clans only had like 4-5 people in each clan, and 3. for the extra slots it was because people killed their characters so often that there were no higher ranks; giving an elder/queen slot gave people incentive to keep their characters around longer.

So what's changed?

1. Obviously, people are pooling into one or two clans. Yes, I get why. People flock to the more interesting clans. But that causes RiverClan to sit with 30+ characters for months, probably carrying the highest number of high ranks because it's true that RC is/was really invested in plots and interesting dynamics. SkyClan and ShadowClan, on the other hand, sat with so few members compared to RC that it was just sad. People don't seem to truly care about clan diversity.

2. Surprise, surprise, the site is pretty big now! Bigger than old canon was if I'm correct. And even with a max of 2 characters, old canon clans got big enough that sometimes they'd have to be shut down. It's to the point that realistically, the biggest clans are too big to survive. This isn't real life, sure, but the idea still stands. There's no need for 5+ characters when we have so many members. In the books, clans were a lot smaller and close-knit than they are here and now.

3. :[  It's already been said 20 times, but the extra slots are just bins at this point. It serves the same purpose that sending your cat missing then bringing them back 5 times did. It's because you're attached but want a free slot. Just rip the bandaid off. If you feel satisfied with the life they've lived to the point that you want another character, then it means their story is done.

The initial reasons for these slots are moot. It's time for a change because something isn't working.

As for the activity checks

As Seer said, WCC does not come before real life. Like seriously, you want to punish someone for having to deal with real-life issues? What if anyone of you suddenly has a family member pass? Or you're in university/college and dealing with piles of assignments? Or unfortunately, you have to deal with anxiety, depression, writer's block, or anything of the sort. Maybe that's on top of everything else. You're gone for months and come back to find all of your characters are dead. Maybe you've had that character for years. Maybe the climax of their plot was just about to happen before you had things to deal with. But because staff are trying to avoid nepotism since everyone likes to accuse them so heavily of such, you can't bring those cats back. You're stuck having to re-do, just because of real-life issues. And because all that work is for nothing, you might just leave the site.

I personally, as someone who deals with writer's block, anxiety, and is also in college, would absolutely be pissed if my characters died because I couldn't post constantly. If all you have to do is post once a month, sure, that's easy enough, but how many people would you leave hanging around waiting for you to post again? It's not a fair system, nor does it solve anything. What's the harm of someone keeping their character around if they're not posting/making any plots? As long as they're not keeping people waiting, there nothing wrong with letting them keep their characters.

It's not as if you're characters will die in a flash. Staff is giving you time. Wrap up your plots, finish your romances, do whatever it is you need to do. With 3 characters, sure there's a little less exploration clan wise, but you can give more attention to the characters that you'll have. Their plots tend to be deeper, and there's less stress managing your time equally. As someone who lived with just 2 slots in the olden days, it feels a lot more satisfying when you finally fulfill the plot for one of your characters. You're much closer to the character and feel much more attached than spreading it between 5 or more characters. All those plot ideas? Do them all with one character. It's fun. Imagine having a character that's lived through 20 near-death experiences.

Y'all stressing too much. It's not terrible. Could be worse. They debated dropping the slot limit to ONE. Count your blessings.

i've also noticed people complain for a few days but after the fact, nobody says a word. how many people are still talking about random stuff, huh?
Kari
Post Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:40 pm by Kari
To clarify (since it seems my idea didn't come across quite the way I intended) I didn't mean something along the lines of demoting people and making them kill their cats once they became more inactive. I actually meant something more along the lines of earning an extra slot or two after they've handled three for a certain amount of time. If someone's handled five cats in the past adeptly but suddenly hit a road block then that doesn't mean they can't handle them, it just means that they're busy, so I'd bend it around real life responsibility as well. Clearly if someone's got life things going on they aren't going to be on 24/7, and that's not what I meant. I guess a clearer way of saying it would be keeping newer members at a lower cap until they get more adept at handling their characters, and then building up to the main cap. It's something that was used case by case on another site I worked on, and it functioned very well. Everyone knew that it wasn't some special privilege, and that it was entirely based on how well you yourself handled your characters. No one wanted people to throw out 2D characters just to kill them the next week because they had a better idea. It wasn't fair to the character, nor to the people who tried to write alongside that character. At the same time, some people could handle a larger castlist perfectly. The idea wasn't meant to be taken as a member hierarchy considering those who have been around longer wouldn't have any authority over those who are newer, and if the suggestion is introduced properly it certainly shouldn't evolve into that.

Doing this isn't requiring anyone to be active or treat this like a job/school, it just cuts down on the amount of inactive characters taking up space on the Allegiances.
Squirrelnose
Post Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:55 pm by Squirrelnose
I think it's a good idea to cut down the character slots, but I don't think it's a good idea to make people kill off their current characters. If everyone could keep the characters we currently have but be restricted from making more than three at a time in the future, then I think it would be okay. There is one of my characters in particular that has been really inactive because I'm waiting for the plot he's in the wrap up so he can die, and that kind of thing applies to a lot of characters, where the only reason they're inactive for a while is because of a plot taking too long. If they're killed off now before that plot's over, it's all been for nothing. That's mostly the reason I think we should be allowed to kill off our characters as we choose rather than have them all die at one,  and instead be restricted in the amount we create in the future. I also don't know if this is already somewhat of what's planned to happen, I'm just throwing it out there.

There isn't much else for me to say, but I'll just repeat what things other people have said that I agree with. I do think this would make plots more meaningful and clans more realistic, and I don't think having activity regulations is a good idea. 

Oh, and one thing I just though of is how this could negatively affect plotting. It's already a bit hard to find cats for some roles in plots, so that could make that a bit more difficult. I'm not saying that would ruin plotting or anything, because it would also solve a lot of problems, but it's just something to consider.

And by the way Icee, I'm still talking about random stuff
Kari
Post Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:53 pm by Kari
I actually agree with Squirrel there, with the whole keeping your cat but not being able to make a new one until your castlist conforms to the new slot system. Kinda like how cats like Moonlight and Olivelily were kept around long after the naming rules were put into place.
RainyHeart
Post Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:03 am by RainyHeart
I support this potential change, not only because it suits my own interests but also because I believe it will help bring back inter-clan closeness as staff is planning. As a leader, I agree with the fact that it's hard to form good connections between Leo and his clanmates, not only because of his personality but because of 1. the workload 2. the inactivity and 3. my other characters taking up more of my attention and muse. Not much I can say that hasn't already been said; I support this change and look forward to what the future will bring : D
rainypool
Post Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:39 am by rainypool
I am just going to have a rough time deciding which characters are going to go, I am attached to all of em.
With that being said I will just quickly leave this argument.
runs away trough back door
Post  by Sponsored content

Make WCC Great Again

Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next