Warrior Clan Cats

The future's in your paws. Shape it well.

Roleplay in a cat Clan of warriors. Based off the Warriors series by Erin Hunter. Takes place in an AU before the cats in the books existed.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome to WCC! Here are our latest announcements:
Activity checks take place on the 1st of the month. PM a staff member with the completed form if you missed it.
Newleaf is finally here, and the Clans hope to find reprieve from the tough Leaf-bare.
Gatherings take place on the 1st of the month; keep your eyes out for a staff member's post!
Please feel free to hit up any staff member if you have any questions!

Sunset Fading

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Drippy

Drippy

Characters : Living: Sunpaw. Dead: so many
Clan/Rank : TC Apprentice
Sagittarius Monkey
Number of posts : 3839

Sunset Fading Empty
PostSubject: Sunset Fading   Sunset Fading EmptyMon 12 Nov 2018 - 14:31

Roughly five hours before the end, Leafstorm awoke with a start. He had overslept- again. Leopardstar had repeatedly told him to get more sleep, but the more time the aging tom spent in his nest, the worse the nightmares got. They would repeat over and over again in his head, always in the same order: First, fighting the raccoon in Twolegplace, when he was barely an apprentice. Every night, he'd watch as it sunk its fangs into Specklefang's neck. Every night, he'd feel a familiar rush of adrenaline as he struggled to get to his feet. And every night, he'd be held back by Bat while Specklefang fought alone. He'd struggle, but Bat's grip was unshakable. "Leafpaw... you can't help her. She has to do this on her own..." The raccoon would dig deeper, Specklefang would screech, and drops of scarlet would dance across his vision.
Instantly everything would shift, pieces of scenes flashing before him rapidly. First he was crouching in Thunderclan camp, unable to help while Cherryblossom struggled through labor. Then, he was alone in the nursery, curled around his litter of three. He was watching Sunpaw return, seeing just how broken she was. He was alone with Specklefang in the forest. "I-I love you too..." And then he was back in the nursery, caring for a new litter with his mate at his side. Maplecloud and Sunpaw were gone, but Dustcloud returned. Darkflight stepping down, Cherryfang curling around a litter of her own. The forest was painted in new colors, rosy pink and gentle gold, and suddenly he was a grandfather. He watched as his family grew, watched as his grandkits became apprentices then warriors then parents, watched as Coyotepaw and Sharppaw played together. Happiness was as abundant as prey, and Leafstorm could hardly do anything without a smile.
And then...
Cold. Worry. Whispering with Specklefang late at night, wondering how much longer it would be until the next mouse was caught. Passing up meals so Specklefang could eat, only to watch her waste away before his eyes. Fur beginning to gray, not from age, but from fear as his family grew thinner. Trying to slice a mouse so every apprentice would be able to get at least one bite before they went to sleep. Hunting restlessly from dawn until dusk, unwilling to arrive back at camp empty-handed. Everything turned sickly blue and gray the day Leafstorm ducked into the Nursery to visit Cherryfang, only to discover an ice-cold, bone-thin corpse and a litter of stillborn kittens.
Before they battled, Leafstorm had groomed Thistlepaw's silky fur, urging her to stay behind. She was far too similar to Specklefang, desperate to fight for her dying clan. He wanted to tell her the truth, that there was no way they'd be able to win against such a large, well-fed clan. But seeing her bouncing with excitement, grinning for the first time since Leafbare, he knew that he couldn't bring himself to force her to stay. Suddenly, they were lining up in front of Sunningrocks. He could hear the mice scampering beneath the stones, he could hear growling stomachs behind him. Specklefang stood at his side, her vivid green eyes narrowed as Ivystar lead her entire clan to meet them. When the two met in battle, Leafstorm swore he saw sparks flying from their claws. When Ivystar darted away, he nearly laughed. When Specklefang let out a warning shout, he turned, but he was too late. A tom nearly as big as he was had leaped directly him, and he jumped out of the way, narrowly avoiding the icy river. It was only then that Leafstorm realized he wasn't the target. A desperate cry, a spurt of blood, and Thistlepaw's body fell into the steely gray water.
Leafstorm lost his tail, his daughter, and his smile that day.

Specklefang never spoke after that. He spent most of his time with her, speaking nonsense in a desperate attempt to fill the silence that had fallen between them. It was only when Ivystar stormed the camp, demanding justice, that he heard her speak. He felt panic coursing through his veins: "Let me be with her." He called above the heads of his clanmates, pushing them aside roughly in his desperation to reach the leaders once again. "I need to be there. I-I-I'm her mate. Leopardclaw... please."
And then he was falling, falling, falling into darkness.

By the time Leafstorm managed to get himself out of his den, the sun was already starting down towards the west. The graying tom stretched as gingerly as he could, wincing as a familiar pain shot through his back. He had never fully recovered from that day in the cages, although he had always worn the scars proudly. He had been such a fool back then, imagining that they made him look interesting and brave. How many hours had he spent by the river, admiring them? He nearly chuckled at the thought, licking one paw to smooth out his rumpled whiskers. After taking a moment to give his thin pelt a quick once-over, he smoothly exited the Warrior's den and started towards the camp entrance. It was time for the midday patrol, like always. Who would he be going with today? His tufted ears twitched as he turned, searching for the warrior or apprentice that he would be leading.

Roughly four hours before the end, Leafstorm walked alone. Most days he could hardly stand being near other cats, but today... Still, it allowed him to be alone with his thoughts.
His shoulder twinged again, and Leafstorm lifted his lip in a small snarl. It was Dustcloud's fault that he had been captured by the Twolegs- if she had taken the time to actually train him, to be there for him, he never would've ended up so far from home. How long had he sat by the camp entrance during his first day, staring at the warrior's den as if he could will his mentor to come out and train him.
She never did. And Darkstar hadn't done anything about it.
Eventually, he gave up trying. He started to train with whoever he could- and tried not to be jealous of Sunpaw and her mentor. The worst part was when they were training together, and she called her mother. Leafpaw had frozen, dumbstruck for a moment. It must've been an accident. She didn't really think of her that way.
Sunpaw didn't apologize for the mistake.

Leafstorm continued to walk through Thunderclan territory, following his pawsteps. He wasn't surprised when a familiar she-cat fell into step beside him.
"Did you know," He began, "That Sunpaw used to call Lichenfang 'Mum?'" His words were laced with a quiet sort of venom while he waited for her reaction.

Last edited by Drippy on Tue 13 Nov 2018 - 23:48; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Drippy

Drippy

Sagittarius Monkey

Sunset Fading Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sunset Fading   Sunset Fading EmptyMon 12 Nov 2018 - 17:03

"I didn't." Sharptooth turned her great head towards Leafstorm, noting how coarse and unkempt his fur had become. He wasn't old by any means, and yet he had the look of an elder, beaten and tired. His pelt was shot through with gray, especially around his muzzle. Sharptooth let out a soft sigh, her dull gaze returning to the ground. "But I did notice how you looked at her." She kept her voice soft, noticing that they had fallen into step without effort. "Dustcloud."
She let the silence stretch between them for a moment, focusing on how the watery autumn sun fought so hard to break through the trees. When the silence became unbearable, she spoke again.
"It's funny." She looked at him once more. So old, so broken. She wanted to heal him, to find the young Leafstorm who played mossball and brought them the best prey from the Fresh-Kill pile. The Leafstorm who stayed with them while Specklefang hunted and took them out to see the stars whenever they had nightmares. Who told them stories about Darkstar and Twolegplace and battles with Shadowclan.
"All that time you spent watching me and my siblings in the nursery, you never told us about Sunpaw or your parents."
Whenever she asked, he had always replied with "I'll tell you when you're older."
They were both older now.
They way Sharptooth phrased it was just a suggestion, but she knew somehow that today she would finally hear the story she had been so desperate to hear as an apprentice.

Drippy

Sagittarius Monkey

Sunset Fading Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sunset Fading   Sunset Fading EmptyMon 12 Nov 2018 - 17:15

Three hours before the end, Leafstorm and Sharptooth were deep in Thunderclan's territory.
Leafstorm sighed, turning for the first time to peer at Sharptooth. She turned and caught his gaze, and he looked away with a frown. He wasn't ready to see her, not when she looked and acted so differently than he remembered. Where had the wily apprentice gone? The one who had stormed into the Apprentice's den when she was hardly three moons old, refusing to leave until they promised to give her battle lessons... the past felt so far away now.
After what felt like ages of comfortable silence Leafstorm spoke, forcing himself to recall half-forgotten memories. "My mother..." His voice sounded gravelly, like he hadn't used it in moons. "My mother was wonderful. I remember... she looked just like Sunpaw. Except her eyes- she always said that our eyes matched."
Something in him urged him to walk faster. He obliged, following a trail that he couldn't see. They would be leaving Thunderclan territory soon.
"And my father..." He shook his head. "My mother always told me stories about how fierce he was, but when he was around her, he was gentler than a queen. They acted like apprentices around each other. It used to make Sunkit, Icekit and I gag."

Last edited by Drippy on Mon 12 Nov 2018 - 17:23; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Drippy

Drippy

Sagittarius Monkey

Sunset Fading Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sunset Fading   Sunset Fading EmptyMon 12 Nov 2018 - 17:21

Sharptooth had remained silent as they left Thunderclan territory, traveling in the direction of Fourtrees. She didn't want to ask him where they were going. Not yet. This journey felt sacred, otherworldly. It didn't feel like they were alone, but Sharptooth didn't feel afraid. Like always, her ability to observe what others could not was putting her on edge. She twitched her large ears, trying to pinpoint the source of the feeling. A presence... a familiar one. She couldn't quite put her paw on it...
Deciding to ignore it for the time being, she turned her attention back to Leafstorm, only to discover that he had fallen silent again. For a moment, she could see a flicker of the old Leafstorm. Who knew that after moons of sadness, all it took was a story to make him come out of his shell.
"Icekit?" She prompted softly, keeping her eyes trained on her paws lest she scare Leafstorm into silence. She saw how he avoided her gaze. Flicking her bushy tail, Sharptooth fell behind her adoptive father, letting him stride forward and take the lead.

Drippy

Sagittarius Monkey

Sunset Fading Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sunset Fading   Sunset Fading EmptyMon 12 Nov 2018 - 17:30

Two and a half hours before the end, Leafstorm and Sharptooth had left Thunderclan behind, striking out towards Fourtrees.
"My sister."
Leafstorm didn't feel old now. In fact, he felt as young and spry as a kit, burning with curiosity and energy. He jumped forward, bursting into a run. He paused to flick at some brightly-colored leaves, nearly laughing as Sharptooth lumbered directly through it. "There were four of us, you know." He called, pressing on to greater speeds while his daughter struggled to keep up behind him. "Robinkit, Icekit, Sunkit and I."
The large warrior gathered himself, springing high into the air as he spoke and snatching at the raindrop-coated boughs of fir trees. Life was for living, not for thinking of the future. Stories were meant to be told. "I barely remember Robinkit, my brother. I don't remember how he died..." Leafstorm screwed up his face, trying to remember, but to no avail. "He had the sleekest dark fur... He and Sunkit would argue over who was oldest. We never actually found out which one was born first." Laughing softly, he stretched his legs out before him and took a leaping bound over a mushroom-covered log. "Icekit was older than me. Snow-white save for a few silver stripes. Mama said they were like stars. I always thought she liked her best, although Sunkit and Robinkit said that I was her favorite."
He sat down suddenly, breathing hard as Sharptooth skidded past him, sending a shower of red and gold leaves into the air. "She died the night my parents did. Raingaze said her heart gave out. One moment, we were wrestling, and the next..."
He fell silent, getting to his feet mechanically and walking on.

Drippy

Sagittarius Monkey

Sunset Fading Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sunset Fading   Sunset Fading EmptyMon 12 Nov 2018 - 17:36

Sharptooth struggled to keep up with Leafstorm, dodging trees and running awkwardly after him. He moved gracefully, and at the same time, it was as if his paws were too big for the rest of him. She hardly managed to hold back a shout of laughter as he ran and jumped like a kit, telling his story as he lunged for colorful leaves or slow birds. Struggling to keep up, she felt like a kit herself, sprinting after Robinkit and Icekit as they played in the rain.
The presence was growing stronger, but like before, she didn't feel afraid. She felt it running alongside them, graceful and somehow not there. In fact... it felt like there were more than one. Some were bigger than the others. A few were tall and gangling, but most were shorter. One of them loomed over the rest, like a mother bird it curled around all of them protectively.
Sharptooth watched Leafstorm's face. It had relaxed into a simple, innocent smile. Does he know? She couldn't tell, but she was now certain that they weren't just on a journey here; he was on a different kind of journey- one through the past. And they were here with him.

Suddenly, he shut down. The lights faded, and suddenly she was facing the same shattered shell as before. She sighed as he began to walk away, trotting to once again fall into step with him.
"What about your apprenticehood?" She asked, tilting her head.

Drippy

Sagittarius Monkey

Sunset Fading Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sunset Fading   Sunset Fading EmptyMon 12 Nov 2018 - 17:50

Exactly two hours before the end, Leafstorm and Sharptooth had finally reached Fourtrees. Sharptooth stood back, watching as the tall warrior examined the battleground with a sort of quiet solemnity. After walking the length of Fourtrees, Leafstorm stopped directly in the center of the scorched ring. Bodies lay around him, still and ice-cold. Some embers still flickered in the ashes of the fire.
"When I was an apprentice, Rockthorn burnt down the forest." He began, looking around him suddenly as if seeing the clearing with new eyes. "One day, it was there, and the next, I was struggling to get Falconpaw out of the fire." His tail-stump twitched as he took a step towards the base of the Great Rock. "We were best friends. Falconpaw, Hawkpaw, Blazepaw and I. Sometimes Sunpaw or Specklepaw would tag along with us, but they spent most of their time hating one another. What little time Sunpaw had left over was spent exploring with whats-his-name. Emberpaw? She clearly liked him, although sometimes I thought that she and Hawkpaw..." He trailed off, approaching the base and placing one large paw on the cool stone. "I never tried to stop her from playing with them. If anything, she was protective of me. She used to demand that we did everything together, just so she could be there in case anything happened." He shook his head, rearing onto his hind legs and placing his other paw on the rock. "There was a big difference between her and me. She had a mentor, a mother figure. I didn't."
With surprising strength, he bounded up the side of the stone, coming to rest at the top. He turned and peered down at Sharptooth, his graying face alight with a kind of innocent youth. "But I didn't let that stop me. I trained with Hawkpaw, Falconpaw, and Blazepaw. I was determined to become the leader of Thunderclan. Leafstar. Can you imagine?"
He leapt off of the rock, landing lightly on his feet at the base. "That didn't last long. Sunpaw was captured by the Mistwalker, taken to a place in the Dark Forest. Without Sunpaw there to stop her, Specklepaw became one of our best friends. We weren't really close, but she seemed to have taken a liking to Hawkpaw. I didn't mind, but Falcon did. He never liked her..."
He trailed off, his voice fading as he felt another pull. Without another word he began to walk away from Fourtrees, headed to Windclan territory.

Last edited by Drippy on Mon 12 Nov 2018 - 22:37; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Drippy

Drippy

Sagittarius Monkey

Sunset Fading Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sunset Fading   Sunset Fading EmptyMon 12 Nov 2018 - 17:58

Sharptooth flicked her tail again, watching from afar as Leafstorm once again demonstrated surprising amounts of energy and strength, aided by the others. She could almost see them now, and once or twice she thought she heard an echoing laugh- it sounded hauntingly familiar, and at the same time...
She chuckled when he told her about Specklepaw- she could hardly imagine her mother as an apprentice, or Starclan forbid, a kit. She must've been ridiculous.
She shook her head, hiding a grin as he recounted tales of adventures with his friends. Hawkpaw and Falconpaw reminded her almost painfully of Shrewheart and Reedheart, and Blazepaw seemed almost exactly like Coyotepaw. She could almost see it now...
Sunpaw and Specklepaw's feud caught her by surprise, but she could definitely see how their personalities would clash. Specklepaw was just... her mother with less maturity and self-control. The thought was almost scary. And Sunpaw seemed just like that, but smaller. Fierier. They would've either been best friends or worst enemies.
"Tell me about the day you got your warrior name." She mewed, trotting after him briskly.

Drippy

Sagittarius Monkey

Sunset Fading Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sunset Fading   Sunset Fading EmptyMon 12 Nov 2018 - 21:49

One hour from the end, the sun was beginning to dip behind the hills that framed the horizon. It was still visible in Windclan's territory, but the two cats knew that it wouldn't be for long.
Leafstorm pressed on with more urgency, feeling more invigorated then he had in moons. His pelt seemed glossier, his step smoother. He didn't limp despite his injury and he carried himself like a cat in it's prime. "When I got my warrior name," He mewed, redoubling his speed until he reached a half-trot. "I expected it to be something like Leafsun or Leafspot- something to honor my sister." His tufted ears twitched as the wind shifted and he moved to take a new course. "Instead, Darkstar gave me the name Leafstorm to honor my strength and tenacity. Like a storm, I couldn't be stopped. I thought it was strange at the time, but I've grown to like it."
A strong wind blew from behind them, as if the entire world was urging them on. For the first time, Leafstorm felt an achingly familiar feeling leave his chest to trot by his side. He pressed on, allowing a comfortable silence to stretch between himself and his adopted daughter.
"The day I got my warrior name was also the day Specklefang and I had returned from Twolegplace. The day after, frustrated with my inability to help my clan, I patrolled by myself for the first time and ran into Cherryblossom." He didn't continue speaking, and for a moment, seemed to second guess himself. His footsteps faltered, but he pushed on. "Cherrykit, Dogkit, and Cloudkit were born. Cherrykit was the only one to survive her first moon. Around the same time Cherrykit reached three moons, I talked Specklefang into retiring to the nursery. It was there that I learned the truth about her litter: The kits weren't Hawkswoop's, like I had previously thought- He had passed away a half-moon earlier or so, and I was still in mourning- No, she confessed that they were a different tom's. A rather... crass warrior by the name of Boulderclaw. He had recently been put in the Medicine Den after a border battle and would die several days later, but I digress. I promised her right then and there that no matter the kit's origins, I would always be there for them.
We had grown a lot closer during the time we spent in Twolegplace, and were only able to relax when we were in one another's company for several moons after that..."
His tail-stump twitched as he was brought back to the moment they had shared in the Nursery, Leafstorm in one nest and Specklefang in the other.
"Darkstar stepped down and Leopardclaw became Thunderclan's new deputy. It was around that time that Blazeflight and Falcontalon also passed due to a bout of Greencough that you only narrowly avoided. I remember how panicked I became when you sneezed... Specklefang teased me about it mercilessly for moons."
All this talk of Specklefang made Leafstorm's heart ache, and he swiftly fell silent, redoubling his pace until he was nearly sprinting.

Last edited by Drippy on Mon 12 Nov 2018 - 22:55; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Drippy

Drippy

Sagittarius Monkey

Sunset Fading Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sunset Fading   Sunset Fading EmptyMon 12 Nov 2018 - 22:37

Sharptooth jogged awkwardly a half-step behind Leafstorm, watching as he relived each memory. Whatever was happening, it seemed too sacred to interrupt. She shook herself, listening to his story with all her might, trying to commit every word to memory. Wherever they were going, some dark feeling in her chest made her think that Leafstorm would leave unchanged. She wanted to memorize every little detail about his life, just in case something about it changed tomorrow.
It was almost time. Leafstorm was running faster now, nearly sprinting. She watched as two, three, even more faintly golden outlines struggled to materialize, erupting from his chest only to flicker and die as soon as he stepped away from them. Only one managed to stay long enough for Sharptooth to see her, and even then, she wasn't certain that what she was seeing was real. Still, visible or not, the short-legged exile was starting to have a faint inkling as to what they were.
She closed her eyes as they rushed through Windclan's territory, racing to the top of a small bluff. Leafstorm stopped ahead of her and raised his eyes towards the setting sun.

Drippy

Sagittarius Monkey

Sunset Fading Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sunset Fading   Sunset Fading EmptyMon 12 Nov 2018 - 22:50

With half an hour until the end, Leafstorm was now on the border of Windclan and Riverclan territory.
The tall warrior spoke unprompted, his vivid eyes tracing the horizon, watching as the sun sank ever lower.
"I remember when the first frost arrived." His voice was suddenly weary, his back became hunched. "The forest was still recovering from the fire, and prey had become scarce. Fishstar, Riverclan's former leader, had lost her final life. An experienced warrior by the name of Ivyfall became the new leader, and had appointed her son Jaystream as her deputy." He shifted, turning his gaze toward the river. Fading light danced across its surface, winking dazzlingly. "Ivystar disagreed with Fishstar on many things, including allowing us to spend Greenleaf at Sunningrocks while the forest regrew. Blizzardstar approached her during the Gathering and practically begged her to let Thunderclan hunt at Sunningrocks. Ivystar refused."
The wind blew cold against his fur. "Back at camp, everyone was starving. I gave most of my food to Specklefang, who in turn gave it to whatever queen happened to be unfortunate enough to live in the nursery. Most of the kits passed away before they reached two moons, and the ones that survived were small, stunted. They didn't live to be apprentices. I remember..." His paws shook, and he squeezed his brilliant eyes shut tightly. "I remember visiting Cherryblossom in the nursery. This was her second litter. I went to visit her... and she was dead. Three stillborn kits lay by her side."

He began making his way down the bluff, heading towards the river. "The battle was swift. Riverclan struck us without mercy. Outnumbered and weak, Thunderclan was forced to hunt for food in Twolegplace that Leafbare. We still haven't regained the numbers we used to have. I'm sure you know the rest."
With that, the old, graying warrior limped along towards the gorge and his fate.
It moved with him, it's shoulder brushing his.

Drippy

Sagittarius Monkey

Sunset Fading Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sunset Fading   Sunset Fading EmptyMon 12 Nov 2018 - 23:02

Sharptooth watched as Leafstorm bent over, folding inward. Suddenly his bones stuck out of his pelt, which hung loosely on his frame. The gray streaks in his fur became more pronounced, and his eyes lost their sheen. The she-cat had to force herself not to rush forward and support him while he swayed on his feet. When his eyes shut, his face crumpled. He looked to be a thousand moons old.
She said nothing when he finished his story. His eyes opened, and she half-expected him to pass out right then and there. He glanced at the golden outline and gritted his teeth, nodding slightly. Sharptooth's eyes widened.
So he knows.
Without another word, she trailed behind him. She was right; they weren't alone.
She was here, waiting.
"Be patient, please." She closed her eyes and whispered it like a prayer. Being here with Leafstorm, learning his story... it all made going away from him that much harder.

Drippy

Sagittarius Monkey

Sunset Fading Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sunset Fading   Sunset Fading EmptyMon 12 Nov 2018 - 23:39

Ten minutes before sunset, Leafstorm stood at the edge of the gorge.
"Specklefang never told me where Sunpaw went." Golden light danced across his pelt, making him appear to be radiating light. "But I knew. Deep down... I think I always knew." He took a shaky breath, turning to Sharptooth with a youthful smile. "I don't think Sunpaw was as great of a cat as I thought she was."

He sat down on the ledge, peering into the water below. Sharptooth sat beside him, resting her tail on his shoulder. "Well," He sighed, sitting back comfortably. "You've finally heard my story, but I still haven't told you my favorite memory."
Sharptooth's ears twitched, and she couldn't help but smile back. "Was it that time when Shrewpaw and I were apprentices, and we both got our heads stuck in those beehives?" Leafstorm chuckled. "No, but that's pretty close. You two ran around camp for ages. Nobody was able to help you because we were all laughing so hard. I think Leopardstar nearly cried." He shook his head, his wide grin relaxing into a contented smile as the last few rays of the sun warmed his fur. "No, my favorite memory was probably the night your siblings were born. The Medicine Cat wouldn't let any of us near the Nursery, but after she went to sleep we all snuck out to visit her. It was so cold that we could see our breath the minute the sunset so we all slept in a giant heap with her and the kits at the center. She was always the heart of our family."

Sharptooth nodded, her eyes welling up with tears. "I remember," She began. "When I was an apprentice, I used to sneak into the warrior's den and sleep with her. Eventually, the others found out and pretty soon most of us were sleeping in the same nest. And the day my sister Wrenpaw found out...? She was waiting for us to all wake up, and when we did... I'm pretty sure her throat got soar after that lecture. She nearly talked us all to death. 'Respect the rules' this and 'Against the code' that. I'm pretty sure she was just jealous that we all left without her."

Leafstorm blinked rapidly. "After she died..." Sharptooth interrupted him. "I know. But it was the only way." Leafstorm nodded. "I know." He mewed softly. "She wouldn't be able to live with herself. I'm glad she passed when she did- can you imagine her as an elder?" Here he was again, trying to make the best of a sorry situation. Five minutes to go, and he was cracking jokes.
"It's true." Sharptooth sniffed, wiping her eyes on her paw. "Can you imagine all the fl-eas?" And with that, she broke down into tears.

Leafstorm cried with her. Four minutes later, they both fell silent.
"C'mon, Sharptooth." Leafstorm stood up, looking stronger. "Let's go. We've spent far too much time here."

Sharptooth nodded, glancing around. The golden figures were gone. Perhaps she had been wrong. Perhaps it wasn't his time. He seemed much stronger, anyway. The young she-cat got to her feet, nudging his shoulder gently. "You're not as old as I thought you were. You walked all this way and barely took a break." She glanced down at the gorge, her smile fading. "But you're right. We should go."
She took a step.
And that was when she noticed the cracks.

Drippy

Sagittarius Monkey

Sunset Fading Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sunset Fading   Sunset Fading EmptyTue 13 Nov 2018 - 23:42

Leafstorm watched it happen in slow motion. Rippling cracks spread across the stone, small pieces breaking off the bottom. He saw the shelf begin to buckle...

And everything froze.
Leafstorm's mind raced.

He had thought of his death so often that it felt more like an old story, something that had happened long before this day. How would he go? The possibilities seemed endless... In every scenario, every nightmare that crept into his head, he was surrounded by family. Surrounded by her.
A flash of gold. Leafstorm blinked.
If he were to die, would he fight it? Would he run from it, fight back, try to rip his claws through Death? Or would he stand, and let it be?
Let it be. Let it be. The words echoed in his head. Let it be, let it be, let it be. When Sunpaw disappeared, he didn't cry. He stood tall, he let it be. He got used to watching the moons pass and growing without her.
He was near the same spot Sunpaw had died, was that why...?

When Thistlepaw died, did he allow himself to get caught in the jaws of grief? Did he bury himself in silence? No. He learned to live, taught himself to love his other sons and daughters again, and tried to teach Specklefang the same.
Specklefang... He still remembered every detail. Despite the moons that had passed without her presence, he didn't forget a thing. The way her voice sounded early in the morning. The one little piece of fur on her head that could never lay flat. The way every emotion she displayed took over her entire body.
Leafstorm turned his gaze back to Sharptooth. The shelf had begun to shift. He was running out of time. Time... the thing he could never get enough of. Time with his mother. Time with Sunpaw. Time with Specklefang. He clung to every moment desperately. Time without Dustcloud. Time without Thistlepaw. It flowed through him, his very lifeblood, his being.
Time's up.

There he was.

Forgotten words echoed loudly in his head, filling his eardrums with broken sobs and screams of pain. He heard his voice. "I-I'll kill you! You... my daughter... I-I'll claw out your e-eyes and... and shove them down your throat so you can watch me rip out your... your rat-filled heart!"
He stumbled towards her body swaying where he stood. "M-my baby..." he cooed, his voice breaking as he peered down at the broken form of his daughter. "My p-poor baby girl."

He stepped forward, his golden form shimmering. Beside him, Thistlepaw. Leafstorm stared, and they met his gaze.
Slowly, as if it pained him to do so, Leafstorm nodded. His heart thumped in his chest. Otterleap dipped his head.
Forgiveness.
The world needed more forgiveness.

Time's up.

He saw her, standing just behind Sharptooth. She blinked.

"No!"
Leafstorm gathered his legs beneath him, his body moving in fluid harmony. His heartbeat echoed in the space he left behind him.
He leaped through the golden cats, his vivid eyes focused on the last of her kin. At the last moment he turned, driving his shoulder into Sharptooth's side. Forgiveness. She fell, sliding across the dust-covered shelf. Love. Leafstorm felt his shoulder crack as bone finally split skin. His entire leg hung awkwardly.
Her.
For a brief moment, three Leafstorm's paws touched on solid ground. Sharptooth stirred, staring at Leafstorm. "Leafstorm, no..." She groaned, shuffling forward. The ledge creaked, and she froze. "Please, you're all that I have left. You have to move, you have to try..."
Leafstorm shook his head, smiling simply. "Sharptooth." He said her name simply, for the joy of it. "Sharptooth. Look at me." Tear-filled olive met brilliant green. Sunpaw stepped forward, her mouth open as if she were about to speak.
"It's okay."
With an ear-splitting series of cracks, the ledge broke in two.

Sunset Fading Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sunset Fading   Sunset Fading Empty

Back to top Go down

Sunset Fading
Page 1 of 1