Warrior Clan Cats

The future's in your paws. Shape it well.

Roleplay in a cat Clan of warriors. Based off the Warriors series by Erin Hunter. Takes place in an AU before the cats in the books existed.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome to WCC! Here are our latest announcements:
Activity checks take place on the 1st of the month. PM a staff member with the completed form if you missed it.
Newleaf is finally here, and the Clans hope to find reprieve from the tough Leaf-bare.
Gatherings take place on the 1st of the month; keep your eyes out for a staff member's post!
Please feel free to hit up any staff member if you have any questions!

live in the shadow of a shadow (c)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
moonazyne

moonazyne

Characters : [C]indersky, [W]olfpaw
Clan/Rank : RiverClan, T3 Warrior| ShadowClan, Apprentice
Aries Monkey
Number of posts : 326

live in the shadow of a shadow (c) Empty
PostSubject: live in the shadow of a shadow (c)    live in the shadow of a shadow (c) EmptySun 10 Mar 2024 - 3:20

Cindersky
T3 Warrior | RiverClan| she/her
"i loved you like the sun."

Time was a blur. Here she was, sitting outside of the medicine den under the orders of 'getting sunlight', and she had not even realised it was daytime. Her head angled upward, briefly looking like she had just gotten a harsh knock to the head and peered upward at the blue, lightly clouded, leafbare sky that you only ever saw at the tail end of it. The brightness was making her head ache. She scrunched her nose, but it did little to alleviate the pressure, so looked down again. She was not a flower that followed where the Sun was in the sky, but she felt as though she may well have been.

How long had she been out here, anyways? She had tried to go on a hunting patrol a while ago, but was sent back because she was just jumping at her own shadow, whirling on any cat that got too close to her or even looked intimidating, and she hadn't even managed to catch a thing. She felt lethargic, like her body wasn't responding to what she wanted it to do. And if it was, it was too slow. She blinked. Every time she did, she felt a wave of exhaustion crash over her. But she could not sleep. That was the last thing she wanted to do. The very last. She did not want to see it all again. Her head still hung droop. The Sun on her back was kind of nice, she would admit that. It felt a little warm.

discord: @moonazine| timezone: gmt| code (c) kieer

Cindersky  | Daytrader |  Wolfpaw

"sed non obligant."

Last edited by moonazyne on Fri 22 Mar 2024 - 8:38; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ash
Former Staff
Former Staff
Ash

Characters : Living: Perchstar [P], Bubblebeam [B], Dovetail [D], Hedgepaw [H], Larchpaw [L]. Deceased/Missing: Tansyfoot, Turtlepelt, Morning, Longwhisker, Ryestep, Poolmist, Nettletail, Halfmoon, Freckleface, Lionfur, Shimmerheart, Breezewhisker, Honeydrop, Ashstar, Snowpaw, Brushgaze (NPC), Shellwater, Snowblossom, Quailfeather, Gingerstripe, Carat, Redwing, Graybriar, Pricklebush, Appledapple, Flutterpetal, Felix.
Clan/Rank : [P]: RiverClan Leader. [B]: SkyClan T3 Warrior. [D]: RiverClan T3 Warrior. [H]: ShadowClan Apprentice. [L]: WindClan Apprentice.
Cancer Snake
Number of posts : 6713

PostSubject: Re: live in the shadow of a shadow (c)    live in the shadow of a shadow (c) EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024 - 16:57

Routine was a lifesaver. If Perchstar simply turned off her mind and focused instead on waking up with the dawn, assisting in the organization of patrols, checking in with apprentices, going on patrol, step by step by wordless step, then she had no time to grieve. No time to allow the emotions to close in and encroach on her senses. Moments of weakness were for solitude. On the heels of one such hunting patrol, the leader padded back into camp, bearing a carp in her jaws. After years of practice, her neutral face had become second nature, so even when she thrust every possible thought from her mind it still remained. She appeared as simply a silent bastion of responsibility--or so she hoped. It was possible that the circles beneath her eyes or the slightly ragged ends of her fur could be visible to those who paid close attention. But that didn't matter. Either way, she did her duty. She kept her responsibilities. She looked after her Clan. Unthinkingly, she made her way to the fresh-kill pile and released the fish she'd caught. Her body was beginning to run low on energy, but she didn't want to eat just yet. She wouldn't starve herself--she'd done that enough. But she didn't need to eat until she truly needed it. Maybe one more conversation or patrol would get her to that threshhold.

Looking at the pile of fish on the ground reminded her of a piece of prey left in the middle of Sunningrocks, a message to a leader who would instinctually understand. The memory brought with it a sharp pang of grief. Perchstar swallowed it down, ignoring the bitter taste, and tried to replace it instead with other thoughts. I need to speak with Murkyriver about Scarletpaw's training. I need to check up on Wrenpaw and see if she is finally recovering. I need to discuss the newest batch of incoming apprentices with Poppyshine. I need to--

Unfortunately, her thoughts were soon derailed when she turned in an attempt to act on them, since a figure caught her eye and immediately all sense fled. Cindersky, standing half-asleep by the mouth of the medicine den with a blank look on her face. Her scratches and wounds were beginning to heal over, it appeared, due to Littlesplash's expert care. But Perchstar knew better than any how many wounds were concealed beneath a cat's pelt in the deepest reaches of their soul. One such injury of her own twinged even now with a prick of guilt. My fault. There was no victory. She did not regret her choices, but that only made it worse. The weight of being leader, the weight of so many lives she cared for, pressed down heavily on her shoulders. Any more of it and she might collapse onto the ground. It would be easy to turn and go back to patrolling. But as always, the softer part of her heart--no matter how carefully she tried to keep it encased in ice--rebelled with a mind of its own. Fish forgotten, she walked quietly up to her former apprentice. Cindersky looked even worse up close--eyes glassy, shoulders slumped. My fault. It took a deliberate moment of closing her eyes and breathing to clear the intrusive thought. Then she sat down a few mouse-lengths away. "Cindersky." Her voice was still masked in neutrality, though it remained at a low volume so as to not startle the anxious she-cat. "Are you all right?" A question easy to ask, but hard to answer. It was useless when she already knew the response, but stars-curse it all, she had never known any other way to start a conversation. If there was one, it had skipped over her at birth. Doomed forever to have exponentially less prowess conversing with those who she truly cared about. But so be it. She had no other option.

⸙ Larchpaw ⸙ ~ ☆ Perchstar ☆ ~ ♡ Hedgepaw ♡ ~ ◈ Dovetail ◈ ~ ○ Bubblebeam ○
⸙ WindClan ⸙ ~ ☆ RiverClan ☆ ~ ♡ ShadowClan ♡ ~ ◈ RiverClan ◈ ~ ○ SkyClan ○
⸙ Apprentice ⸙ ~ ☆ Tier 5 Leader ☆ ~ ♡ Apprentice ♡ ~ ◈ Tier 3 Warrior ◈ ~ ○ Tier 3 Warrior ○

~~PM me here or on Discord if you want a topic with any of my cats!~~
~Wonderful Signature by Xaandiir!~
Back to top Go down
moonazyne

moonazyne

Aries Monkey

PostSubject: Re: live in the shadow of a shadow (c)    live in the shadow of a shadow (c) EmptyThu 14 Mar 2024 - 9:27

Cindersky

Cinderskys head turned at the call of her name, slowly, as if she were walking in a dream again. Her eyes opened only when she faced Perchstar, and when they did, a look of surprise took them. She parted her mouth, but no sound came out. Her ears, however, gradually fell back flat against her head. She did not know how to answer. She did not particularly want to. She felt if she did, she might say something she would regret. If she had nothing good to say, better not say anything at all. And yet, she couldn't lie to Perchstar. Nevermind that she was her leader, but she was like a rock to her all the same.

"I am alive," She answered finally, it sounding quieter and a lot more curt than she had intended. She shuffled on her feet, angling her head downward to avoid Perchstars gaze as if that would make it any easier. She blinked, and took a slow breath in. Her answer sounded hollow, but she could not find anything else to it. She was alive, and that was it. Living, she wasn't quite sure. Every seemed to have ground to a halt when they had come back from-- Her claws sank into the ground, and she tried her hardest to push the memory back. The taste.

"And you?" Push forward in the conversation, do not look back unless dragged. Her words felt forced. She wanted to turn away and hide instead. Do not look at me, she thought, because you are why I am in a fog. She grit her teeth, knowing there was no good to be irritated. A leader does what a leader does. "You were on a patrol, too?"

"sed non obligant."

Last edited by moonazyne on Fri 22 Mar 2024 - 8:40; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ash
Former Staff
Former Staff
Ash

Characters : Living: Perchstar [P], Bubblebeam [B], Dovetail [D], Hedgepaw [H], Larchpaw [L]. Deceased/Missing: Tansyfoot, Turtlepelt, Morning, Longwhisker, Ryestep, Poolmist, Nettletail, Halfmoon, Freckleface, Lionfur, Shimmerheart, Breezewhisker, Honeydrop, Ashstar, Snowpaw, Brushgaze (NPC), Shellwater, Snowblossom, Quailfeather, Gingerstripe, Carat, Redwing, Graybriar, Pricklebush, Appledapple, Flutterpetal, Felix.
Clan/Rank : [P]: RiverClan Leader. [B]: SkyClan T3 Warrior. [D]: RiverClan T3 Warrior. [H]: ShadowClan Apprentice. [L]: WindClan Apprentice.
Cancer Snake

PostSubject: Re: live in the shadow of a shadow (c)    live in the shadow of a shadow (c) EmptyFri 15 Mar 2024 - 14:44

Perchstar had not expected a warm welcome--she had simply wanted a response, any response, to ascertain just how bad Cindersky's state was. And yet, she could not deny that the lowering of her former apprentice's ears and the coldness of her tone felt like a strike of claws. Did you think she would be happy to see you? You, who caused her pain? Who nearly got Littlesplash killed? If only she could walk away; if only she did not care so much. Instead though, Perchstar took a single step closer--only to hear better. She still would not approach close enough to make the hurt she-cat uncomfortable. "I am glad that you are alive," she said quietly. "I... I am sorry that it is all you can be, right now. But I hope that with the help of those you love, that you may feel better. That the happiness comes again."

How uninterested Cindersky must be in this conversation. How unhappy, how upset to ask such curt and polite sentences. Perchstar felt once again the flight instinct urging her to leave, to back out before she hurt her beloved former apprentice further. My fault. She could not. Her paws remained rooted to the ground. If she could help at all... even in the slightest... "I am doing my best," the leader said. It was true--better than divulging her unending pain, better than lying that she was all right when she was not. "There is a lot to do, so I have been focusing on that. But I have also been thinking, and sometimes going on walks. It's... beginning to get warmer outside." It would not be good to explain her worries, or to make Cindersky feel bad for inevitably hating her. She had to be strong. Maybe even just a little bit, she could attempt to help... like the many conversations they'd had when Cindersky had looked for guidance, or given it. "Rookflight told me of something you said, once, when I was struggling. They said something like... even though the plants die, they will grow again. Greenleaf will come again." Perhaps it was not a good idea to quote Cindersky's words back at her, but stars knew that Perchstar would not be able to come up with anything better on her own. "It is almost newleaf. Though things are hard now, I am hoping that some new growth will give our Clan some much-needed respite... and recovery." Perhaps she was talking too much. Perhaps she shouldn't have initiated the conversation at all. Perchstar tried to still herself inwardly... to prepare herself for any response, or even no response. If Cindersky so wished, she would leave.

⸙ Apprentice ⸙ ~ ☆ Tier 5 Leader ☆ ~ ♡ Apprentice ♡ ~ ◈ Tier 3 Warrior ◈ ~ ○ Tier 3 Warrior ○

Back to top Go down
moonazyne

moonazyne

Aries Monkey

PostSubject: Re: live in the shadow of a shadow (c)    live in the shadow of a shadow (c) EmptyMon 18 Mar 2024 - 11:27

cindersky

t3 warrior | riverclan

Cindersky blinked. Perchstar was doing well, good. Not great. Good. She supposed she should feel glad, contented that her leaders life was moving forward and she was taking each day in stride. She did not. Instead, she felt bitter. Like she had bitten down on a dock leaf and the juice had coated her tongue in everything she ate. Everything she ate.

'Greenleaf will come again,' Her own words. She wanted to go back in time and shake herself by the shoulders, tell herself no greenleaf would ever be the same again. And it never would be the same. She had made sure of that. The journey was necessary, she did not fault Perchstar for it. They were all dying. But what came after? That was a choice. She had chosen to rouse homesick cats out from their nests again and fling them into a war they didn't want. A war many of them had no part in. What was that ThunderClanners name? Silverdusk? Young. No part in it at all. Cindersky didn't even know the name of who they were marching to slay. And Littlesplash. Littlesplash, so young and full of life and she didn't even recognise him anymore. He was her little life and it had been drained from him and her, Cindersky didn't even recognise herself and it was all changing and she was so right in the beginning, be afraid. Be very afraid of the days that come next and she wished she had never gone to Perchstar for advice and--

Her claws were out. She blinked at them. She felt strange. A torrent of thoughts and she had not even realised how tightly she had clenched her jaw. It hurt. Her chest hurt. Her wounds hurt. Her head hurt. She turned and looked at her leader. "You are funny," That was her talking? That did not sound like her. It sounded so far away. It sounded like venom given form. She took a breath.

"Who was it that you killed on that battlefield, Perchstar? Who was it? What was her name? And I'm not talking about Birdstar. And what was the name of everyone you killed?" She took a breath and it sounded more like a wheeze. Everything was ablaze and she wasn't in camp anymore. She wasn't in her own body anymore. She could still smell the blood-- Still taste it. "I want you to walk into that medicine den. I want you to look at Littlesplash. I want you to look at him, see him, and justify it. That is not my son anymore. You took him from me marching him into a war that was not his. Not mine. Not Silverdusks, not that SkyClan medicine cat's. It was yours, it was... Whatever her name was, I do not even know, and it was Birdstars.  We hadn't even been in the territory again a moon!"

Her lips were curled. She had not even shown that to that black-furred tom. This felt so wrong and yet she could not stop it. She was speaking before she had even realised she had opened her mouth. Was she speaking? It sounded so quiet. So far away. All she could hear was the hot blood roaring in her ears.

"I was going to take him fishing again. I was going to bring him around the territory. I- I was going to let him grow up, I was going to get to be a warrior. And you killed us before we had a chance. Littlesplash never had a true kithood, a true apprenticeship. I--" She licked her lips. There was a sort of fear, somewhere. Somewhere amidst the anger, and it pulsed like a star in the sky. "He is a ghost. A body moving. Performing a duty he was not ready for. And don't tell me this is how the forest is. I know it is brutal. I know-- The wolves were bad enough. He did not need to feel the teeth of his own kind, his own claws in anothers flesh. I don't even know the name of who you sent us to kill!"

template by #kiikko

"sed non obligant."
Back to top Go down
Ash
Former Staff
Former Staff
Ash

Cancer Snake

PostSubject: Re: live in the shadow of a shadow (c)    live in the shadow of a shadow (c) EmptyMon 18 Mar 2024 - 12:28

Finally. It had been too long since someone told Perchstar what they really thought.

The words coming from Cindersky were sharp, vile, full of a bitter tang and anger that Perchstar had never seen before. They started almost hesitant, but then they overflowed like a regurgitation of all her inner pain, and they were covered in blame. You, you, you. Each word, a physical blow striking at her, but she did not flinch. She stood and took it because she deserved it. Because finally, someone could tell her what she had always told herself. The already-raw sting of her grief and wrath were ripped back open by this... cat. Who was this cat?... It was not Cindersky. Not the young apprentice who had put so much faith in her undeserved, whose fear she had never been able to still. Or perhaps this was the true Cindersky, and everything else had been a lie. This was what Cindersky had always thought of her. This was what all of her Clanmates thought of her. They reviled her secretly. Well, despite the soul-thrumming agony of her worst fears confirmed, it felt freeing to know for sure. At least now the wound could bleed openly, no longer infected in secret.

And despite it all, her face never moved. As it always did in times of crisis, it locked into a neutral expression, hiding the grimace of the pure torture that now ran down the sides of her stomach, the sourness that erupted from the back of her throat. Emotion. She had already shown emotion, and this was her reward.

Silence hung in the air, interminably long. Then finally, Perchstar spoke again. "Beechfang." Her voice was low, hoarse from nights of holding back the desire to scream, no longer masked in its foreign calmness but not raised in pure feeling either. Just rough, just low. "Beechfang. That is her name. She took Cloverheart, a RiverClan medicine cat. Drowned her, held her head under until she was forced to breathe water. I believe I was only a few moons older than your current age when I had the power of a leader thrust upon me and found the corpse of my friend floating down the river. I did not fight SkyClan when it happened because I thought that exile would be enough. I believed the promises. I was naive, like you, and you see now where it got me. Where it got RiverClan." It was a good thing she had chosen to sit farther away, because if she were any closer to the expression of pure heartbroken rage then what little of her sanity remained might snap. As it was, her own words broke free from their prison and began to flow--but not in the high-pitched suppressed wail of Cindersky. Quiet and somehow all the more forceful for it. Her ice-blue eyes were piercing as they looked at her former apprentice's wild countenance. "It is your war. It is all of your war. If you cared even slightly about Littlesplash, it was your war."

The edges of her vision began to fuzz to a strange gray-black color, but Perchstar ignored them. She had not eaten yet; she hardly had the energy to free the tide of suppressed anguish that had been locked up inside her, but it came spilling forth anyway. Her words were not meant to justify; she had done that enough. She simply spoke. "Someone who kills once will kill again. Beechfang could have taken Littlesplash. Her kind almost did. I did not want to bring him, but he insisted upon coming. I did not want to bring you, but you insisted upon coming, and now you blame me. That is fine. As leader, it is my fault." She would not cry. She had not cried, not openly, not in front of other cats for moons. Only ever secluded in her own den. And so she blinked hard, willing the heat rising in the corners of her eyes to back away and wait its turn. It was just as she had explained to everyone, and they had all pretended not to understand, but they all knew it was her fault. That was why they avoided her. That was why they blamed her. "This is a choice I made, I knew the repercussions. As much as they tear me open, I knew them. I would rather lead those that I loved into a war, where we know that it will hurt, where we can stop ourselves from being hurt in the future, instead of having any more ripped away from us before their time. And you lived. And Littlesplash lived. And if you hate me forever then that is okay, but at least you lived. If Beechfang had taken either of you at the river again then it would have destroyed this Clan. It is better to tear out a thorn than to leave it in your paw and step on it, day by day, feeling it tear deeper and deeper into your flesh, and lose the paw entirely." She shook her head. "And yet, if all that it took was one lost paw, and it could be mine, then I would have. You do not know this, but I tried every other avenue before resorting to war. My entire leadership I avoided it because I knew this is what would result, but they would not let me be the only one to suffer."

For a moment, her breath hitched in her throat. She stopped and swallowed it back. For all her weakness, she would not appear pitiful. Not in front of the only cat who apparently had the ability to truly blame her for everything. Once her composure--what little of it remained--returned, Perchstar spoke again. "If there was a way... if there was a way that I could be the only one who hurt, then I would take it. If I could die every time, if I could take every wound, if I could be cut open and bleed and take every single wound then I would do it. But I cannot. I have tried." And that was the crux of the matter, as always--they hated her for not doing more. She did all she could and they hated her for not doing more. But she wanted to do more, wanted it, needed it desperately with the same pain that now stabbed into her chest. Her voice was still low and was never raised, had never been raised except for her shriek of agony when Mottlestar took a blow that she should have taken, that she wanted to take and had been denied. And yet, despite the lowness of her voice, it bore pain like an open sore exposed to the elements. Speaking words like this, she could no longer hide it. Her desire to die. "Right now, the only thing keeping me here is that I can still take as many wounds as possible. I leapt into the jaws of death for you and Littlesplash. I saved your life from the wolves. And if you hate me for it, that is okay. I killed Beechfang, I did it, I killed Birdstar and I have suffered deeply for it--" her voice cracked, the only time it had done so--"and now neither of them will kill anyone that I care about ever again. And if you hate me for it, that is okay. None of you can ever hate me more than I already hate myself."

What was the point in saying any of this? For her own satisfaction? Cindersky did not care. Cindersky needed help, but it was something Perchstar was incapable of giving. Even her best efforts had led to this, and she did not begrudge the anger one bit because it was the same feeling that she had borne with her every waking day of her life in this position. The pain that Jaystar had doomed her to, that she had never been able to relinquish because if she took it then no one else had to. It was pathetic. She sat here and complained about her agony but she could end it, at any moment, and for some reason she lacked the courage. The RiverClan leader felt her fangs grinding into each other, and forced them to stop. This entire time her eyes had been locked on Cindersky, but she tore them away. When she spoke again, her voice was even quieter. "I am sorry for imposing. I hope that you can find your comfort in someone else... and I hope, for both your sake and mine, that you no longer have to deal with me very soon."

If she stayed any longer, she would only make things worse. Her head pounded, her heart bled so openly that she could no longer bear letting anyone see it. So Perchstar dipped her head and walked away, ignoring the fresh-kill pile to which she had intended to return. She did not deserve to eat. She would simply lie down in her den until the pain ebbed to a manageable level... and then she would resume her duties.

Back to top Go down
moonazyne

moonazyne

Aries Monkey

PostSubject: Re: live in the shadow of a shadow (c)    live in the shadow of a shadow (c) EmptyMon 18 Mar 2024 - 12:58

Cindersky

Cindersky was not sure what she expected in response, but it was not this. Not barked, barely contained words masked by pure apathetic stillness that still drummed into her like fat, cold raindrops in the midst of a thunderstorm. Not dejection. Not some kind of resignation. Not this. All she could do was stare, the rage quickly fading away now that it had been spent and that fear returned to the surface. The same fear she was afraid of since she was a kit, carried into an apprentice. Quelled as a new warrior and now... But it was her fault. She had taken her mentors previous advice and twisted it and now everything had changed. It was all different and she could find no one to point a claw at but herself. It was her words that did this.

"I do not hate you," She said it countless times whenever Perchstar said 'if', but it was drowned out as she continued to speak. Was she even saying it? She could feel her mouth moving, but she wasn't sure if it was in despaired gasps or actual words. What did she mean, when she said she leapt into the jaws of death? Surely not. Surely her mind had conjured those words coming out of her mouth as punishment. It conjured a lot of things these days. She never knew what to believe.

And then Perchstar was gone, and Cindersky felt like she had been knocked in the head. What had she done? Rooted to the spot and her paws quivered, her body felt too heavy to support. Her throat stung and she could not see past the wet blur that flooded the fore of her eyes. She should have kept her mouth shut. She was angry-- The notion felt like the cut of a claw-- but now she was not. She was sad now. That was all she felt. Sadness. Regret. Guilt. She had gone. She wanted to call out, tell Perchstar to wait so they could try it all again but, nothing. Nothing but her paws finally giving out and the Sun baking down on her that now felt cold, and the small wet splotches on the ground in below her. Everything changed. She made it so.

"sed non obligant."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: live in the shadow of a shadow (c)    live in the shadow of a shadow (c) Empty

Back to top Go down

live in the shadow of a shadow (c)
Page 1 of 1