Warrior Clan Cats

The future's in your paws. Shape it well.

Roleplay in a cat Clan of warriors. Based off the Warriors series by Erin Hunter. Takes place in an AU before the cats in the books existed.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome to WCC! Here are our latest announcements:
Activity checks take place on the 1st of the month. PM a staff member with the completed form if you missed it.
Newleaf is finally here, and the Clans hope to find reprieve from the tough Leaf-bare.
Gatherings take place on the 1st of the month; keep your eyes out for a staff member's post!
Please feel free to hit up any staff member if you have any questions!

will you share this with me? (c)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Ash
Former Staff
Former Staff
Ash

Characters : Living: Perchstar [P], Bubblebeam [B], Dovetail [D], Hedgepaw [H], Larchpaw [L]. Deceased/Missing: Tansyfoot, Turtlepelt, Morning, Longwhisker, Ryestep, Poolmist, Nettletail, Halfmoon, Freckleface, Lionfur, Shimmerheart, Breezewhisker, Honeydrop, Ashstar, Snowpaw, Brushgaze (NPC), Shellwater, Snowblossom, Quailfeather, Gingerstripe, Carat, Redwing, Graybriar, Pricklebush, Appledapple, Flutterpetal, Felix.
Clan/Rank : [P]: RiverClan Leader. [B]: SkyClan T3 Warrior. [D]: RiverClan T3 Warrior. [H]: ShadowClan Apprentice. [L]: WindClan Apprentice.
Cancer Snake
Number of posts : 6713

will you share this with me? (c) Empty
PostSubject: will you share this with me? (c)   will you share this with me? (c) EmptyTue 27 Jun 2023 - 11:33

Her first daughter to become a warrior. The first kit to advance the furthest. It had not been the eldest, Willowpaw. Nor had it been the most eager, Wrenpaw. Instead, Mistpaw had become Mistwalker, quickly completing her training and proving her eligibility to the Clan. Perchstar had to be honest--it was not the outcome she had expected. She would not love any kit more or less depending on when they became warriors. In fact, they could stay as apprentices for their entire lives, and she would still feel the blood-warmth that had resided within her dormant her whole life, and been awakened by the experience of birth, and the gift at the leader ceremony. However, she worried that her kits would judge each other... or even judge themselves. Willowpaw had always been hard on herself. And Wrenpaw likely wouldn't expect the call to be medicine cat apprentice that was soon to come upon her. Tinypaw was the youngest, and she worried that he would feel inadequate as well. But what would Mistwalker feel? Did she see it as an accomplishment? A point of pride? Or was she worried about advancing too far past her siblings? Did Perchstar make her feel like she had to push herself too hard? It was hard to tell. Most of her kits, to her dismay, had learned too well from her body language and become masters of the mask themselves. She had hoped they wouldn't need her awful coping mechanism. She had hoped they would be better than her. And though they were, only Wrenpaw giggled and leapt and showed her full range of emotion at any given time. Willowpaw had hidden her pride. Tinypaw hid his thoughts. And Mistwalker... despite the warm moment they had shared at the ceremony, Perchstar worried that Mistwalker was hiding everything.

Such worries were what plagued her as she set off to patrol with her daughter. It was one of the first dawns of greenleaf, heralded by the warmth of the sun even so early in the morning. Light yellows and faint pinks decorated the spotted clouds as they set out toward Sunningrocks. It was beautiful. Yet, as always, Perchstar found herself beset by her concerns. She tried her best to blink them away and look instead at her daughter. Mistwalker's name fit her perfectly. In the light of sunrise, her fluffy white pelt looked almost like an ethereal cloud, swaying around her. The light blue of her eyes seemed the only hint that she was, in fact, a cat, until one looked closer to see the other hints of paws and whiskers.

Perchstar wished she had a better conversation opener than asking her kits how they had been. However, she genuinely wanted to know. She wanted to know everything about them. She was worried that they might not want to tell her. All she could do was ask, and remain open, and wait. So it was what she did. "How have you been, Mistwalker?" she asked, voice soft as it carried over the morning breeze. It was sincere and asked with love. Her daughter knew that... or, she hoped she did. Perchstar simply could not put on the warm tone of voice that Poppyshine always did. It was not a skill she possessed, even when that same warmth resided inside her. So it was instead in the gentlest tone and with the most relaxed neutral features that she inquired after Mistwalker's wellbeing, hoping desperately for a chance of honesty and insight.

⸙ Larchpaw ⸙ ~ ☆ Perchstar ☆ ~ ♡ Hedgepaw ♡ ~ ◈ Dovetail ◈ ~ ○ Bubblebeam ○
⸙ WindClan ⸙ ~ ☆ RiverClan ☆ ~ ♡ ShadowClan ♡ ~ ◈ RiverClan ◈ ~ ○ SkyClan ○
⸙ Apprentice ⸙ ~ ☆ Tier 5 Leader ☆ ~ ♡ Apprentice ♡ ~ ◈ Tier 3 Warrior ◈ ~ ○ Tier 3 Warrior ○

~~PM me here or on Discord if you want a topic with any of my cats!~~
~Wonderful Signature by Xaandiir!~
Back to top Go down
Kitty
Former Staff
Former Staff
Kitty

Characters : Murkyriver ♀ | Mistwalker ♀ | Mintglade ♀ | Crakeburn ♀ | Snowvixen ♀ | Hollowpaw ♀
Clan/Rank : Riverclan | Skyclan | Windclan
Sagittarius Horse
Number of posts : 4939

PostSubject: Re: will you share this with me? (c)   will you share this with me? (c) EmptyWed 28 Jun 2023 - 5:04

Mistwalker
“Are you listening?”

If there was anything in particular to be said about the way Riverclan seemed to function, it was that they relied on what others did more than what they said. Perhaps it was as a result of their leader, whose poise and nature of being of few words had infiltrated deeper than most in the forest would have anticipated. However, such would have easily been refuted given the beaming heart of their deputy. Poppyshine practically held enough emotion, love, and affection within her heart for every member of every Clan, as well as over half of Starclan at any given moment. Perhaps, instead, it was a result of the way the forest seemed to flash its hideous teeth towards its youngest inhabitants in one way or another, pushing them to be quiet out of some deep-addled fear. Many of Riverclan's members were young, not knowing the pain that some of its olders members did. Most of the Clan hadn't even yet taken their first breath when the twolegs had invaded their territory, their perverse acts of desecration ultimately forsaking the hallowed Fourtrees ground in what became an escape attempt for many.

Mistwalker certainly wasn't there for that. No, the only tumult she had ever known was that of her family life, and that of the greencough which had plagued her body at an all-too-odd time. The pressures and weights that came with being Perchstar's daughter, the tingling of loss in knowing that there was no father figure to shape her life alongside her mother. In truth, it didn't bother her too much. A lot of what she felt, her true opinions of things, really seemed to take after her name. They were shrouded in mist.

That didn't stop her from knowing that she still cared about her family, though. The warrior made it a note in her mind to spend some time with her siblings soon, especially to ensure they harbored no feelings against her due to the molly earning her name before the rest of them. It was a turn of events that she certainly hadn't anticipated, but perhaps it was a reward for the trouble that had fallen her and bound her to the medicine den while her siblings otherwise got the time to learn. In attempting to catch up to them, she had charged too far ahead. The anxiety that crept along her pelt at that idea had her stirring in the night a few more times than she would have liked to admit. Several more times than she would have liked to admit. If anything, she longed to be back in the apprentice's den, curled up in that back-right corner with her siblings. Willowpaw always easiest to exit, Wrenpaw towards the middle as the glue between them all, Tinypaw in the back corner as the last-named, and Mistwalker... wherever else there was room. She found herself wherever made the others most comfortable.

"I've been alright, Ma." Memories came and went as the young warrior found comfort in her mother's scent. An intrinsic part of her, one that was primal and existed far beyond the stars, would always take comfort in it. Perchstar's scent carried the distinct river's call as they all did, but beneath it was something more... stoney. Not quite like the grassy hints that came from her clanmade Brookstone. No, if she had to describe the way she could tell her mother apart from a crowd of cats, the place that they went would be the easiest way.

Sunningrocks.

Perchstar's scent reminded her of sunningrocks, of the stones smoothed and shaped by the water that had long-ago washed over them. After a particularly strong downpour, that scent was strongest, and Mistwalker relished in it. Felt like home in it. Sure, the rocks were a favorite among many cats not only from Riverclan, but to have that deep pull towards them... it was why she considered them even more special. The youthful look of being lost in her daydreams faded from her face as she pulled back away from the wistful memories, reeling herself back in to that calmness that allowed her to be the longer-pelted image of the powerful molly beside her. Tilting her head just slightly upwards, her ear turned to give Perchstar its full attention as she spoke again. "Have I ever told you how Sunningrocks always remind me of you, Ma?" The molly blurted out. Should her mother spare a glance to study her daughter after that statement, the way her own set of blue eyes seemed to trace the ground indicated she felt bashful about her comment. A tinge of shame that burned at her cheeks for such a kittish idea. "Your scent-you obviously smell of Riverclan. The river and fish. But you have the smell of the stones after the rain, too. Deep. Not quite cold, but... smooth. Earthy, but... not quite." It was almost impossible to describe it. She wasn't quite sure what spurred the current tangent, but the moment she ran out of words, Mistwalker seemed to pull herself back in. Showing the glimpse of herself, only to recoil right back into that mist, waiting to see what reaction her words drew.

Truthfully, it seemed like she was playing some sort of game, as if she were afraid to let more of herself show at any given moment. Like the molly was scared of being hurt for her feelings, so she reeled too far in. Walking that secret line of heartless and too heart-filled, always in the mists. But this was her mother! Surely, she could trust her with how she felt, and knew it would never end in scorn!

Perhaps that was why the warrior also let her slight limp show as her front paw twinged in pain, the weasel bite that was hidden beneath the fluff of her fur making itself known. Perhaps that was also why she admitted to it in her own way. "...I learned I don't like weasels."

code by kiiko • edited by kitty

MurkyriverMintgladeCrakeburnSnowvixenMistwalkerHollowpaw
Back to top Go down
Ash
Former Staff
Former Staff
Ash

Characters : Living: Perchstar [P], Bubblebeam [B], Dovetail [D], Hedgepaw [H], Larchpaw [L]. Deceased/Missing: Tansyfoot, Turtlepelt, Morning, Longwhisker, Ryestep, Poolmist, Nettletail, Halfmoon, Freckleface, Lionfur, Shimmerheart, Breezewhisker, Honeydrop, Ashstar, Snowpaw, Brushgaze (NPC), Shellwater, Snowblossom, Quailfeather, Gingerstripe, Carat, Redwing, Graybriar, Pricklebush, Appledapple, Flutterpetal, Felix.
Clan/Rank : [P]: RiverClan Leader. [B]: SkyClan T3 Warrior. [D]: RiverClan T3 Warrior. [H]: ShadowClan Apprentice. [L]: WindClan Apprentice.
Cancer Snake

PostSubject: Re: will you share this with me? (c)   will you share this with me? (c) EmptySat 1 Jul 2023 - 11:48

Mistwalker's words came easily, reassuring Perchstar that she was all right. They were quiet--nearly buried under the muffled sound of their pawsteps moving in time, against the soft earth beneath them--but they did not seem untrue. They were not dull and blank as her own obscuring claims used to be. She had no reason to doubt her daughter. Therefore, though the words were simple and few, they let a bit of the tension out of Perchstar's shoulders. The term of "Ma" no longer made her feel uncomfortable in her own skin. "Ma," "Mama," "Mother." All used by different kits. All meaning the same term of endearment that she had seen many of her warriors call Poppyshine. Though she still thought herself unworthy of the name, logically she knew that it applied to her... and some small part inside her heart welcomed it. Her name had never truly been her own since she received her lives. Poppyshine's nickname for her was one of the few times that her name really sounded like a cat, and not just a leader. These titles achieved the same effect, albeit in a way she'd never imagined. Yes... she was all right with them. They fit loosely, like an oversized nest would be too big for a kit. But perhaps she would grow into them properly.

Sunningrocks lay before them. The gentle, trickling sound of water rushed by the large stones; the river's shallowest part, dancing through the gaps and under the little places not covered, it was easiest for others to traverse. That was why it had been a point of contention with ThunderClan for so long. Well, that and the obvious allure of lying on warm rocks to sunbathe. They were one of RiverClan's best features. Every inch of the territory was beautiful in its own way, but these seemed like the gift of the stars specifically for them. Hopefully no more blood would be shed on them... at the very least, not during her lifetime.

As usually happened when she slipped into a reverie of her own thoughts, Perchstar was drawn out of it by more quiet words from her daughter. She moved her gaze from staring pensively at the landmark, and as she did so, she saw Mistwalker looking at the ground. It had been one of those things that one thinks, but does not intend to say aloud. But now that the words were out, she explained herself quickly. It was not really what Perchstar had been expecting. The words were not ones that had ever crossed her mind. As she was forever accustomed to her own smell, it was impossible for her to determine their veracity. But it seemed fitting. Just as she'd always tried to be like a pebble in the river in her young life, and then always been stone-faced, she ought not to be surprised that something deeper about her had always born similarity to the rocks. However, the words came from a place of reality. Mistwalker truly meant them. She returned herself to the misty shroud right afterward, but the glimpse of her daughter's true feelings made Perchstar feel... trustworthy.

"That is good to know," she said simply, whiskers twitching slightly. It was a brief second of levity that lightened her tone. "If I am the rocks themselves, then I wonder whether Poppyshine is the sun." That certainly tracked. After all, the deputy had been given her warrior name for the light that shone eternally in her green eyes. But this time was for her daughter. Perhaps she ought to reciprocate, and share the moment of awkward vulnerability. "You smell... like the clouds. Airy and light, but clean. A light rain or a storm. It makes your name very fitting, I think." Perchstar's tail waved once behind her as she studied her daughter. "You do not have to feel ashamed of saying things. I know how it feels, but rest assured that I will never judge any words that you speak." The reassurance was easy to give and hard to take. She knew it for a fact. Still, it would not hurt to put the information out there. If she could possibly make her daughter more comfortable--if she could help Mistwalker and the others feel more at home within their own minds--then that would be all she could ask for.

Mistwalker's pelt had always been long-furred, the one bit of her father that was evident in her appearance. It had grown only more fluffy and diaphanous as she grew older. However, perhaps as she followed up on the perceived weakness that she was allowing herself, the warrior showed her front paw--which had a chunk of fur missing. Perchstar blinked for a moment, reconciling with the sight. Then she felt a moment of combined panic and loss. Her stomach sank like a stone just as her heart jumped into her throat. "Are you all right? When did this happen? Did you go to Sandyshell?" The leader darted closer, gaze focused as she inspected Mistwalker's foot. The wound did not look infected. However, it looked painful, and she could not tell whether it had been treated. Certainly Mistwalker had been limping slightly when she moved forward. She'd mentioned weasels. How many had attacked her? Did she have any other injuries? Who had she been with when it happened? It took a shamefully long time for Perchstar's leaderly subroutine to calm her racing thoughts, and force her to realize that she was likely making her daughter uncomfortable. Sharply, she stepped back, trying to get hold of herself. How was a mother supposed to act in these situations? "I... I am sorry. I do not mean to be overbearing." She was unable to completely conceal the wave of embarrassment that washed over her, as her torn ear flicked minutely. "I simply wish for your welfare. I will not overstep. But... let me know if I can help, or if you prefer to take care of yourself."

⸙ Apprentice ⸙ ~ ☆ Tier 5 Leader ☆ ~ ♡ Apprentice ♡ ~ ◈ Tier 3 Warrior ◈ ~ ○ Tier 3 Warrior ○

Back to top Go down
Kitty
Former Staff
Former Staff
Kitty

Characters : Murkyriver ♀ | Mistwalker ♀ | Mintglade ♀ | Crakeburn ♀ | Snowvixen ♀ | Hollowpaw ♀
Clan/Rank : Riverclan | Skyclan | Windclan
Sagittarius Horse
Number of posts : 4939

PostSubject: Re: will you share this with me? (c)   will you share this with me? (c) EmptySun 2 Jul 2023 - 11:47

Mistwalker
“Are you listening?”

As the well-known, certainly well-loved former mentor and deputy to the warrior had been mentioned, Mistwalker's gaze had drifted out in contemplation. It certainly made sense. There was a particular element of warmth that radiated outwards from the calico that could have easily given her the descriptor of being the sun sentient. Had there ever been a story to pass down to kits about the forest's mother, it was no doubt that many in Riverclan would have the visage of their deputy appearing in their mind's eye as they told of or heard such a tale. Near imperceptibly, she had given a nod in response. For all the time she had spent in the calico's presence, truth be told the young warrior had never truly taken the time to decipher much of the unique indicators that it was Poppyshine over another clanmate. Simply seeing her, and feeling her presence was enough. In a way, the molly supposed that was enough to make her mother's observation a truth.

When it came to her own scent, her reaction could only be discerned by an affectionate twitch of her whiskers. There was little in the way of new information when it came to being told such. Somehow, she found her name to fit in her in several ways. Not to mention, Egretswoop, the fox-hidden warrior, had told her something similar before. "I wonder if your mother knew that you were like the mists incarnate when she named you. A mystery, but visible to everyone all at the same time. You walk an interesting path." She still was unsure if she was to take that description as a compliment, or as an offense. In an attempt to save herself from the risk of causing tensions between herself and a clanmate, ultimately, the two-toned molly had taken it as neither. Simply a statement of fact, an observation. Especially given the one who had bestowed such an observation onto her was a molly that seemed to notice almost everything while appearing as if she saw nothing all at once.

Discomfort was very quick to nag at the warrior's belly, however, as her mother seemed to easily call out the fear that rippled beneath the many layers of her pelt. Silver and white legs that otherwise stood steady had tilted inwards in a quiet show of how she felt, her claws pricking at the ground to uproot whatever dirt of pebbles were beneath her steps in an anxious knead. Be like mother, mother is strong. The self-soothing mantra had repeated itself in her mind almost as quickly as that anxiety had begun, working as the key to ignore the way it nagged at her belly.

Then, her mother took her tell, exposing it like a wide-open wound.

Well, perhaps it still was. From the way Perchstar had darted closer, a slurry of emotions were very quick to fill the young molly's body. Even as she stood near exactly to her mother's height, she was just ever so slightly shorter. Yet in that moment, beneath the loving, scrutinous eyes of her mother and leader... she felt as tiny as the kit she once was. Swallowing hard as the guilt ebbed a stinging bile at the back of her throat, Mistwalker took each question as they came.

"I'm healing, ma."
"When I went hunting with Hawkshriek."
"...No, I haven't."

Shame burned a near searing heat beneath all of the layers of her pelt as she had to deliver that final admission. When the dark tabbied tom had assisted her back to camp after their hunt, they had found Sandyshell's den empty. No doubt had she simply gone to collect herbs, and given that Mistwalker hadn't exactly been on the verge of collapse, they had grabbed a small wad of cobwebs to hold the wound together. Since that point, it had actually been a more humiliating idea for the warrior to return to the medicine cat's den and show what had happened now that she had attempted to treat it herself. Whether it was a curse or a blessing, her time in the medicine den as an apprentice had taught the warrior the fickle nature of the pale molly who knew the herbs as well as the silver feline knew how to hunt fish. Mistwalker's maw had parted to deliver her cover-up, her apology and story to her mother, that forest-burning shame eating and consuming at her like a wildfire--

Sorry?

Her mother was sorry for loving her kit?

Frozen with her mangled paw hanging for the leader to see, it was gently lowered to the ground as the warrior once more reeled herself in. That everlasting mist of her heart cooling whatever it was she felt, back into the neutrality that was mirrored before her. Even then, she knew what to look for in Perchstar's eyes. Her own had taken after them directly. Behind that gaze of the collected leader, she saw it. Saw the worry for her daughter, the care that came from a bond nurtured by blood. Even if all the young molly could feel was that roiling guilt in her belly for somehow failing the one cat she looked up to the most, the one she wanted to keep happy over them all... that love was there. The love that told her it was okay, that she had not failed or upset her mother. Even if she had not gone to Sandyshell to properly get her leg looked at, and that it had been through sheer luck at this point that it hadn't ended worse.

Mistwalker wanted to speak. But the words... they failed. Each one that tried to surge upwards got lodged in her throat, only to then be pinned down by another, and another. As much as she wanted to share with Perchstar, it was becoming blaringly obvious that there was a singular, fatal flaw. She didn't know how. Instead, it was action that would indicate how she was feeling. While the sleek leader before her had lept back, poising herself in the image of cooled regalia, it was her daughter's turn to close the distance. One of Riverclan's princesses, coming close to the empress who ruled with a calm, just paw.

Tenderly, she pressed her head into the alabaster shawl that decorated her mother's shoulders and chest. It had always been her favorite place to hide from the world when it was too bright in the early mornings of her youth, tucked against perhaps the most vital part of the leader's body. Here, it was where the strong heartbeat of her mother had lulled her to sleep on countless nights where worry nagged at her young mind. Innocent thoughts, like the shadows of the nursery morphing into being countless creatures that could bring her or her siblings some part of harm. Like the thought that she wasn't good enough to be an apprentice, that she couldn't catch up to her siblings as they had charged ahead, full of vigor for life. The thought that the water had terrified her, felt unnatural, like it would simply soak her coat and pull her down, down down into an abyss that she couldn't swim up from. Now, it still symbolized that. But it also was the only way for Mistwalker to truly tell her mother...

"I love you too, ma."

That's what it was, wasn't it? That care that had seemed to dethaw that eternally icy gaze of Riverclan's empress, the care that parted the shrouding mists of the princess's true thoughts. Her ears found themselves flattened against the feathery tufts of her head as she simply kept her head pressed there for some time, both in comfort to herself and to provide a bonding touch to her mom. It was love. It had to be.

She didn't pull away-couldn't pull away-as she allowed herself the tender moments to pass. If she was overstepping some unspoken boundary between the two now that she had grown up, she didn't want to be the one to pull away. Not as the otherwise neutral molly found herself wrapped in the secretive warmth that told her it was okay to be herself, to open up about the feelings and thoughts that rippled beneath her pelt. It was certainly kittish, and not fitting of her name, to be tucked up against her mother in such a way. Those anxieties shuddered through her pelt as she stayed pressed close. Had it been leafbare, there was no doubt that the extra warmth the eternal layers of her pelt provided would have been appreciated. Now? They didn't exactly provide the comfort she would have wished, but hopefully brought at least some kind impact alongside her close proximity.

"I'm healing, ma." The warrior repeated again, breaking the fragile silence that had existed between the two of them. "Being with you helps. You checking on me- it helps. Because then I do have to think about how I am doing." It was true. For the most part, she had simply shoved it away. Tucked the pain in the feathery tufts of her pelt, shaking it out as she moved. Ignored it, because to entertain it would mean admitting the weakness. A failure. Much as she did with every other anxiety that rippled. Simply ignored it, even as they ate away at every part of her being. Even if they got nearly suffocating, when it should have been her long pelt suffocating her. No, it was the thoughts that roiled beneath that threatened to drag Mistwalker away from what she knew. It was why she found herself walking that line. The line that shut everything out, or dared to let everything in.

She was going to let her mother in.

"I am scared to let you down, ma. I'm scared I've hurt Willowpaw, Wrenpaw, and Tinypaw's feelings by getting my name first. Willow has always deserved it first. I'm scared I've hurt Sandyshell's feelings by not going to her for my paw. I'm... I don't know if I deserve my name, ma."

code by kiiko • edited by kitty

MurkyriverMintgladeCrakeburnSnowvixenMistwalkerHollowpaw
Back to top Go down
Ash
Former Staff
Former Staff
Ash

Cancer Snake

PostSubject: Re: will you share this with me? (c)   will you share this with me? (c) EmptyMon 10 Jul 2023 - 13:55

Perchstar was sitting back, unable to keep her gaze from shifting between Mistwalker's conflicted face and injured paw, unable to stop her emotions from warring. It was normal to feel this concern. It was nothing she hadn't necessarily experienced before. Then why did she feel so guilty for reacting in the way that she had? Simply because she hadn't controlled it properly? Because it was unlike her? No, she realized. She was afraid. Afraid of completely taking on the role that she had been so uncertain about from the very start. Afraid of what "mother" really meant. Not just as a title, but as a position. The pain it brought. The uncertainty that lived and breathed within her as she tried to know what she should and should not say. The inability to know whether she was helping or hurting her own daughter. That was what she was afraid of. Her own mother had not lived long, and certainly had not been enough of a model to show how this behavior should be conducted. What should she do? How should she do it? She only had Poppyshine as a role model, but they were so different. The stones and the sun. One permanently grounded, the other soaring. How could she ever hope to be--?

The familiar spiral of thoughts trapped inside were brought to a complete and utter halt by one quick movement. Mistwalker stepped forward, pressing herself into Perchstar's chest, crossing the literal and metaphorical gap between them with a vehemence that surprised her. It was a simple action, and yet the meaning behind it spoke volumes. She was overcoming the very same hurdle that Perchstar had struggled with--still struggled with--for moons now. She was taking it into her own paws to show the frightening warmth that consumed and worried and wore down and yet meant everything. The feeling that could not be silenced with a thousand other wants and fears. The one that compounded every experience into a larger, fuller, realer version of itself.

"I love you too, ma."

Too.

Too.

Not only did her daughter love her, but she understood the bumbling attempts at mothering and what they stemmed from. She understood the underlying emotion behind every stifled word and every quiet glance. Perchstar had not failed as a mother.

"My daughter," she murmured. The two simple words were thick with the meaning that tumbled behind them like an avalanche, and yet did not need to be said. Her love for her kits was the strongest truth she had ever faced. Right now it burned inside her, a lightning strike too powerful to resist, pulling her ever closer.

Perchstar's tail reached out and curled around Mistwalker, completing the embrace. It was the same as when she had been younger, and yet it was entirely different. Not just because she was now nearly her mother's size instead of being the length of a paw. Not just because of the development that both had been through. But this was a deliberate act of affection, mutual between the two of them. Instinct was a part of it, yes, but it was the part that was satisfied by the feeling, not the part that initiated the contact. It was driven by a stronger force. The one that had only just now been spoken aloud, despite lying dormant in each sentence they'd said thus far. And while Perchstar rarely was so close to any cat, and it had taken her a while to get used to being like this with her kits... it felt right. To be here. To embrace her daughter. It felt right. Hopefully her reciprocation of the action would soothe any worries that happened to be racing in either of their minds. This was a choice by both of them.

But the embrace was not all. A minute or so later, Mistwalker's voice--slightly muffled by the thick ruff of white fur, and yet audible enough--rose into Perchstar's waiting ears. It seemed that her daughter had made the brave decision to not only be outwardly vulnerable, but inwardly so as well. Sharing those deep-seated fears. It was a struggle that the leader knew only too well. For now, she simply listened, her heart aching with each deeply-held admission that had obviously been tormenting and prying at the walls of Mistwalker's mind for too long. Fears of inadequacy. Worries of imposition. Anxiety for those she loved. It was like hearing a replay of her own thoughts in miniature. It seemed that the daughter had taken after her mother not only in outward aspects, but also in the inner workings of her brain. Perchstar allowed herself the brief moment of guilt--the knowledge that it had been inherited--before recognizing it as hypocritical and pushing it away. Now was the time to offer what she had needed at this age so badly.

Once Mistwalker quieted, Perchstar spoke. Her voice was still a straight tone, but there was an underlying gentleness that few ever heard. "Whatever you do, I trust you. You could never let me down. I understand the fear--the need to do everything perfectly. But please, know that there is nothing for which you cannot be forgiven. Especially small mistakes like this. Don't let them grow big enough to swallow you." She knew that the words were not always easy to take. It was not so simple as hearing and believing. And yet, once they had been said, the truth would eventually soak into one's bones. It had gradually, slowly, painfully been so for her. Hopefully her daughter was young enough that hearing would be easier. Perchstar's voice was clear and sure. "You deserve everything that the world can give you. Never think anything less. Don't feel entitled to it, of course, but know that the many blessings that are yours are yours wholeheartedly. None have been stolen. All have been given... and freely."

"You worked hard to achieve your name. No one would begrudge you for that--least of all your sisters and your brother. I can tell you that your siblings still care for you exactly the same way, though if you would like to know for certain, then the simplest way to find out would be to ask them. Not the easiest. I know it would be difficult. But trust me that none of your siblings are so petty as to let this hang over their heads. And if it did, it would be a feeling directed towards themselves, and not towards you." The mention of the medicine cat was warranted. It would be frustrating to know that a warrior hadn't come to her when they were injured, though Sandyshell had never been unkind, and a quick explanation would likely suffice. The she-cat was usually too lost in her own boundless worries to feel unhappy with others. "Sandyshell might be worried, but I don't think she will be unhappy at you. And even if she was, then it would be all right, and all would be forgotten once you had healed up and offered a sincere apology."

All the concerns had, technically, been addressed. But Perchstar pressed onward. The words were for her past self just as much as they were for Mistwalker, and just as much for her current self as they were for her past self. It was wisdom that had taken a long time to learn. It had been hard-won, with pain and loss, and she was still reckoning with it even now. Perhaps hearing it now would help Mistwalker. On the off chance that it would, she continued, quiet but firm in her choice of words. "It is impossible to step lightly through this world and tread on nothing," she said. "You cannot please everyone. You cannot completely hide yourself from the world, and yet attempt to live in it. I know. ...I have tried. Sometimes you must be open. Keeping it all inside will cause your wounds to rot, fester, and bleed untreated, until it feels as if you will die from the pain of it. The only way is to let it out. To be open." It was something she had been working on for the past year of her life, and something that she was still awful at. But with the help of Poppyshine and now of her kits, it had finally begun to seem feasible. "If it is too difficult to be so always--as it is for me--then you should at least have a few cats that you can trust. I... I would hope to be that, for you. If you would allow me to."

It had been a lot. Hopefully it had not been too much. But as she sat here, with her daughter, in an embrace that was both reminiscent of kithood and of a more mature version of them both, she knew that it had been right. And this had all been initiated by a decision on Mistwalker's part. One that she knew from personal experience was not easy. The words Perchstar spoke next were quieter than the rest, breathed almost directly into the younger she-cat's ears, from where they rested just beneath her jaw, buried deep in her chest fur. However, though they were the simplest words, they were the ones that needed to be said the most. "...Thank you for letting me know."

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: will you share this with me? (c)   will you share this with me? (c) Empty

Back to top Go down

will you share this with me? (c)
Page 1 of 1