Warrior Clan Cats

The future's in your paws. Shape it well.

Roleplay in a cat Clan of warriors. Based off the Warriors series by Erin Hunter. Takes place in an AU before the cats in the books existed.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome to WCC! Here are our latest announcements:
Activity checks take place on the 1st of the month. PM a staff member with the completed form if you missed it.
Newleaf is finally here, and the Clans hope to find reprieve from the tough Leaf-bare.
Gatherings take place on the 1st of the month; keep your eyes out for a staff member's post!
Please feel free to hit up any staff member if you have any questions!

Til Next Time, WCC

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Maple
Former Staff
Former Staff
Maple

Characters : *Dustcloud {D}, *Blazeflight {B}, *Silentstrike {Sil}, *Gustpuddle {G}, *Swiftflight {Sw}, *Fennelpaw {Fn}, *Jaysong {Ja}, *Fallowlight {Fa}, *Fern {Fe}, *Brackenberry {Br}, *Ivystar {Iv}, *Specklekit {Sp}, *Beanheart {Be}, *Freckleface {Fr}, Briarthorn {Br}, *Eris {E}, *Hyacinthia {Hy}, *Otterdance {Ot}, Nightbird {Ni}, *Olivepaw {Ol}, Smudgekit {Sm}
Clan/Rank : Tier Five SkyClan Warrior {Br}, Tier Two SkyClan Warrior {Ni}, WindClan Kit {Sm}
Leo Monkey
Number of posts : 4840

Til Next Time, WCC Empty
PostTil Next Time, WCC

Retiring Announcement

*Brief content warning: decline in mental health and talk of on-site drama included*

Hey, WCC. I debated posting a member announcement detailing why I decided to step down (and ultimately away from WCC, at least for a few weeks), but after some thought and reflection, decided that hopefully it might do some good to share. This is also not intended to bring anyone down or hurt feelings, but more than anything to prevent it from happening again. I joined WCC when I was around eleven or twelve years old. WCC, in a way, had a hand in raising me in the absence of my parents. Whether intentionally or not, many members here played an active role in my childhood, taught me fundamental lessons, and helped me grow to be the person I am today. I can confidently say that without WCC, I would not be here, nor would I have gotten to where I am today. I still love WCC just as much as I did when I joined years ago, and want nothing but the best for this site and the community within it.

As a staff member of four years, there was no way I’d get around the inevitable drama and fall-outs that come with a community of any kind, and especially of this size. There are bound to be hurt feelings, arguments, and whatnot from time to time. I was also prepared to receive negative feedback and criticism on a more personal level, because ultimately you cannot please everyone every time, and not everyone will be your biggest fan. All of the above were something I knew and accepted when I joined the team. However, in the past year or two and in a few isolated incidents prior, things have absolutely gotten out of hand. Under no circumstances should a staff member (or anyone, for that matter) be receiving physical threats of harm, called slurs or other names of any sort, or have to genuinely worry for their safety/the safety of their sensitive information. These are all things that staff members, some of which were minors at the time these events occurred (including myself), have had to deal with in my tenure as a moderator and an administrator.

Simply put, this is absolutely ridiculous behavior and it needs to stop. A number of my former teammates have been put through the ringer trying to please as many people on site as they could, and to make the right decisions under pressure, only to be called names, talked down on, and shamed. That isn’t to say that staff always makes the perfect calls or that they never do anything wrong, because from time to time that does take place. But it is important to understand that staff members are people who volunteer their valuable time to better the site and community and ensure that things run smoothly- ordinary people who do extraordinary things because they care. I cannot count on both hands the number of teammates who have stepped down and/or away from the site because the stress of it, largely caused by drama and unnecessary pressures. It is the number one reason staff members leave- staff members that did great work on the site, and could have continued to do had these unfair circumstances not taken place. To hurl insults, slurs, threats, and more at selfless individuals who want nothing more than to better the community they love is absurd. Even when mistakes are made or things go south, understanding and kindness are the bare minimum, and even that became rare at times.

Additionally, please keep in mind that things happen behind the scenes that the site as a whole may not be aware of, and that can influence decisions that the team makes. Before attacking someone for something you perceive as an unpopular decision, ask yourself if there are better ways to go about it- or better yet, reach out to members of the staff team and ask questions (politely) if you feel something is sideways or might need further explanation. Don’t jump to conclusions or assume the worst. In what world is the correct response to a decision you do not like flooding an anonymous comment section with slurs, insults, and swearing, spamming public places with inappropriate content, or harassing staff members before they are given the opportunity to address things?

As I’m sure you can guess, the things I stated above are the reason I’ve decided to step down as well. Unfortunately, those things became too frequent and too harsh for me to continue to handle on a near-daily basis. Instead of the safe place and escape that WCC used to be, I dreaded logging on and it became a constant battle in my head over taking care of myself and tending to my obligations. I was consistently receiving anonymous comments berating me not only as a staff member and an RPer, but as a person. I received countless comments saying that I needed to leave the site, that I was worthless as a team member and high rank and couldn’t be worse at my job. Occasionally, I’d even get DMs/comments from throwaway accounts with things I’d not dare repeat. That, combined with other real-life circumstances and events, landed me in a very poor position in terms of my mental health and wellbeing. After a brief stay in the hospital and continued mental health care, I am doing a little better, and recognize that remaining a part of the staff team and site as a whole is just not in my best interest at this time- and that’s okay. However, what isn’t okay is that this is a continued occurrence with no end in sight.

WCC, please put effort into making this community more sustainable for the staff members who keep it up and running. Give them grace and understanding, and trust that you are in good hands- because you are. I will be the first to admit that over time, staff has made some poor judgements and dropped the ball. It is bound to happen, because nobody is perfect. In those moments, instead of choosing aggression or hatred, choose to be honest, kind, and constructive. In the end that will get you far closer to your desired outcome than being negative or unkind, and all parties will come out of the situation feeling happier and more fulfilled. Again, I love this community and want nothing but the best for it. That will only be achieved if individuals within the community wish the same- ultimately, the community can make or break itself.

As for my characters:
Briarstar fell behind on the way to Fourtrees after the Earthquake, and was abducted by a Twoleg soon after. Nobody knows of her predicament, but many assume the worst.
In the frenzy that followed the Earthquake, Nightbird got lost and has not been seen since.
Hyacinth and Olivepaw went missing amidst the chaos.

Love always, Maple

♛  Site Baby Sister  ♛

| Briarthorn | Nightbird | Smudgepaw |
| T5 SkC Warrior | T2 SkC Warrior | WC Apprentice |
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

Til Next Time, WCC :: Comments

lostfanboy
Re: Til Next Time, WCC
Post Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:16 pm by lostfanboy
We will miss you Maple, but I'm glad you're doing what's best for you and taking care of yourself first and foremost. I'm grateful that you were staff for the time that I joined the site, and I'm so sorry for the amount of harassment you had to put up with. Take care of yourself and I wish you all the best in your future endeavors <3
Nerd
Post Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:28 pm by Nerd
I’m also going through some stuff right now so I don’t have the braincells to formulate the words myself, but basically what Lostfanboy just said. Take care of yourself.
xaandiir
Post Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:40 pm by xaandiir
As awful as some circumstances on this site have been, I am incredibly grateful that I got to meet you Maple, and I hope that time spent away from this site and off of staff will improve things for you. I hope that you will br able to return, because I always enjoy your presence, but if not or you are gone longer than anticipated, I wish you the best of luck in life and I hope you have good things ahead <3
Patch
Post Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:23 pm by Patch
I am so sad that you are leaving as I'm returning, but I completely understand your reasoning, and wish you nothing but the best. <3
Maagistar
Post Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:04 pm by Maagistar
I wish you nothing but the best, Maple. I understand this perfectly. Nobody should have to put up with this much negativity in a place where one would go to escape such things. I'm grateful for your contributions to the site and will miss you! Please take care of yourself and always stay safe! <3
speedy
Post Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:18 pm by speedy
Thank you so much for all you have done for the site Maple. I am so sorry that this has happened to you and understand your decision. Hopefully we can keep in touch? Never hesitate to shoot me a dm on discord.

Take care of yourself friend we will miss you but understand that this is the best thing you can do for your health. Take care!
Post  by Sponsored content

Til Next Time, WCC

Page 1 of 1