Warrior Clan Cats

The future's in your paws. Shape it well.

Roleplay in a cat Clan of warriors. Based off the Warriors series by Erin Hunter. Takes place in an AU before the cats in the books existed.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome to WCC! Here are our latest announcements:
Activity checks take place on the 1st of the month. PM a staff member with the completed form if you missed it.
Newleaf is finally here, and the Clans hope to find reprieve from the tough Leaf-bare.
Gatherings take place on the 1st of the month; keep your eyes out for a staff member's post!
Please feel free to hit up any staff member if you have any questions!

Make WCC Great Again

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Seer
Former Staff
Former Staff
Seer

Characters : Kestrelpaw ♀ | Jaypaw ♂ | Hawkpaw ♂
Clan/Rank : ThunderClan Apprentice | RiverClan Apprentice | SkyClan Apprentice
Libra Cat
Number of posts : 3278

Make WCC Great Again - Page 3 Empty
PostMake WCC Great Again

With the increasingly absurdly huge clans, cats being created yet never rped beyond bare minimum or not even touched beyond their creations/apprentice ceremonies, staff have come to you, our community to pitch a rather significant change to the status quo.

For the longest time, WCC has had 5 slots, one for each clan, though having one cat in each clan was never truly enforced. This came from the days our site was much smaller in number, with roughly 20 active members on average. As certain clans were neglected and our member base became far more experienced in handling their characters, we slowly began to introduce more slots and increase leniency on our character limit to balance out the site.

Despite it being a positive at the time, the current system with rper's have potentially 8 characters, has lead to a flood of characters that simply take up space on Allegiances without being actively RPed. Naturally, we are aware that some of you are excellent rpers that are handling all your characters well, each holding an important position in their clans and having their own character arcs. However, one look at RiverClan and ThunderClan should make it undeniable that this system isn't working as intended. It isn't that people are intentionally doing this, but the simple fact that handling 5+ characters is a toll, even on the best.

Which is why that we are suggesting a reduction of the character limit to be 3 slots with no other "special" slot e.g. Elders/Queens. We have debated this over several days, calling on former staff to pitch their opinions and asking members that rped on WCC back when we had a one character only policy. We believe this change will still allow people not feel trapped in one clan, but also encourage rpers to be more attached to their characters. To invest their time in their three characters. Also, this smaller limit would allow for leaders to actually spend time with all their clan members hopefully, considering there will be a reduction of the cat population overall on WCC. For leaders to know each cat in their clan by name, and for clan plots/betrayals/code-breaking to really have consequences.

We don't intend this as a punishment, an attack or any other negative thing. The intention behind this was to provide our members with a closer-knit community and a tighter cast of cats on the site. As for how we'd implement such a change. Staff have a unique idea that will involve a calamity hitting the forest. This will lead to the death of several cats, and serve as a soft reboot. Members would be allowed to keep up to 3 of their current cats (this includes any elders or queens).

Naturally, this is a rather weighted decision. Therefore, we ask for your opinions and thoughts about this potential sitewide change. Please feel free to express your thoughts, however please be civil in your discussion.

Make WCC Great Again - Page 3 Img_0312
current characters | semi-return from inactivity
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

Make WCC Great Again :: Comments

Sun
Re: Make WCC Great Again
Post Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:22 pm by Sun
Icee, Seer, and others have summed up my feelings quite well. I wasn't involved in any of the staff discussions so I don't know all of the nuances and alternatives proposed that lead to this decision, but I know that they don't take these things lightly and none of this is a joke to them. Granted, making the decision isn't that hard for me considering I have only four and the last one was an impulse creation, but I do see the benefit in three characters. Even getting rid of Frozenpaw would probably make life much easier for me on WCC considering my schedule as a college kid and a volunteer. But I promise staff cares, and they care a lot about your input.

I'm mostly neutral on the extra slots issue; I see how they're used for holding bins, but I also see how they are great for sentimental, beloved characters that have lived their lives but we are not yet ready to let go of. Maybe if we cherish our active characters we'll learn when to let go of them, I don't know. I could see myself using the extra slots, but since I've not used them before, I could also let go of them pretty easily.
Seer
Post Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:35 pm by Seer
    What about three official slots + one Elder/Queen slot?
  • Elder/Queen slots were pretty much a total failure lol. However much some might want to protest this, we all know it to be the reality of the situation.

They were originally created with the intent of allowing people to fill the rolls of two of the most vital ranks within every Clan, and hopefully creating some more in-depth portrayals of Clanlife by letting people feel as though they could actually hold the rank. Yet, they truly just became a fancy trash-can; they became a new Missing Cats system, a place for people to dump characters that they were bored with, yet simultaneously unwilling to kill them off. For the most part, Elders/Queens just exist in the void and clamber out of the dismal abyss of suffering to appear in the activity check. WCC is literally worse than the Erin Hunters themselves when it comes to just throwing people into the Elder's Den/Nursery, never to be seen again until their random death. I'm sure some of you want to go, "But Seer! I personally occasionally use my Elder, shouldn't that be enough?" No, no it's really not. Elders/Queens just rather dust in comparison to literally every other rank on the site, including kits. Kits! Elders/Queen's are supposed to be incredibly vital and influential part of Clan life, yet they rarely appear long enough to have a one-liner if they're luck.

If Staff is taking steps to reduce insane numbers and promote genuinely active characters, why should we let the most inactive characters/ranks stay? It utterly defeats the purpose of this course of action.

What about letting people organically kill off their characters, instead of a mass-cull?
  • I'm going to be completely and utterly honest with y'all.

With a mass-cull, Staff will be in complete control of the events- we will be able to offer great opportunities for everybody, we will work to make sure that everything goes down neatly and in a timely manner, and ultimately, Staff will be able to ensure that this doesn't take months to complete, and that people aren't getting left behind/unable to find decent plots/people aren't dragging their feet when it comes to nuking our cats.

I'm not against the concept of letting people just naturally shed however many slots they need to drop to reach whatever limit we might impose, I'm against the fact that I know 100% without doubt that people will delay and turn this into a great ordeal. Even if unintentional, users could potentially make us wait months just to kill of a single character. What happens if we're forced to wait several months due to the fact that others aren't working at the speeds we need them to? Things will get clunky, and disorganized at best. It would be difficult to track the progression of deaths, while trying to balance out the other essential functions of the site at the same time, not to mention the fact that it'd be a genuine nightmare for Staff to try balance the influx of newly-created characters when people aren't even trimming down when they're supposed to be.
Grizzly
Post Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:30 pm by Grizzly
Everybody has already said what I wanted to say 300000 times, but I'm very very for this. I had five characters back in the day, and I literally killed one off because I didn't have time for her. If I never HAD the opportunity to waste her, I wouldn't have had to yeet her into the garbage.

That being said, I think an elder slot along with the 3 regular slots ain't a bad idea. You can retire a character and let them interact with the clan sparingly, since their warrior life is over and done with. No stress with old farts.

I look forward to whatever the staff has planned. It's a fantastic idea.
RainyHeart
Post Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:42 pm by RainyHeart
Question: If these new rules go through, does this mean the position of elder and queen in the clans will vanish altogether or is it just that their extra slots will be abolished? Would I still be able to 'retire' a character to the elder's den for example but keep them in my official three? This is probably the obvious answer, but I just feel the need to clarify~
White
Post Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:29 am by White
I know this is more work for the staff or maybe it could be assigned to leaders/deputies to monitor, but what if elders slots had posting requirements. Like an elder cat must make an appearance every one or two weeks. I just had this thought while I was reading everyone’s posts, so feel free to shoot it down.
Anonymous
Post Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:54 am by Guest
RainyHeart wrote:
Question: If these new rules go through, does this mean the position of elder and queen in the clans will vanish altogether or is it just that their extra slots will be abolished?  Would I still be able to 'retire' a character to the elder's den for example but keep them in my official three?  This is probably the obvious answer, but I just feel the need to clarify~

Elders and Queens still exist. But they gotta be from your official three roster if this plan goes through. We love Elders and Queens, just not when they're existing in a retirement slot.

White wrote:
I know this is more work for the staff or maybe it could be assigned to leaders/deputies to monitor, but what if elders slots had posting requirements. Like an elder cat must make an appearance every one or two weeks.  I just had this thought while I was reading everyone’s posts, so feel free to shoot it down.

Posting requirements only really work if it leads up to something like apprenticeships/warriorhood. Otherwise, it becomes a drag, and a burden. We want to make WCC fun, not a chore with post x times or Staff will jump you in the forest and murder your cat.

People can just have their cats be elders if they like elders or have our clans be eternally young with fresh blood replacing the old every 6 months.

Your idea is great, but in reality, it's honestly more work than it's worth.

Gonna say this for everyone. As the OG creator of Elder/Queen slots, they were a mistake. Classic case of great in theory, terrible in practice. If nothing at all happens from this discussion except these slots go away, I'd be happy. People used to have elders that existed, they weren't plentiful like now, but they were active as one of the RPer's five cats. I thought I was encouraging more elders by making these slots, but what I inadvertently did was make elders disposable and second-class characters.

Preach for anything but these heck-fire slots. I'd rather we had an extra character slot all together than have an elder/queen slot. They were a mistake.
opalseal
Post Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:10 am by opalseal
I agree, but if so, how do I delete one of my cats?
Post  by Sponsored content

Make WCC Great Again

Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3