Warrior Clan Cats

The future's in your paws. Shape it well.

Roleplay in a cat Clan of warriors. Based off the Warriors series by Erin Hunter. Takes place in an AU before the cats in the books existed.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome to WCC! Here are our latest announcements:
Activity checks take place on the 1st of the month. PM a staff member with the completed form if you missed it.
Newleaf is finally here, and the Clans hope to find reprieve from the tough Leaf-bare.
Gatherings take place on the 1st of the month; keep your eyes out for a staff member's post!
Please feel free to hit up any staff member if you have any questions!

Critique my art!:

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Middy

Middy

Characters : [R]ushingpaw
Clan/Rank : [R]-RC App
Leo Snake
Number of posts : 1958

Critique my art!: Empty
PostSubject: Critique my art!:   Critique my art!: EmptyMon 11 Dec 2017 - 20:02

Heyoooooo! I've been doin' some art lately and I was wonderin' if you good peeps can give me some feedback on them! I ask you to not hold back on anything cause it will greatly help my work!

Things to consider:
-I have no drawing tablet :(
-I do these on a school computer (The one I can take home and it's touchscreen)
-I don't use a mouse
-I Use Paint 3D (never paint) cause i'm on a school computer

Okay here are my recent art pieces:

This one is kinda messy but i'll make a better one eventually that'll be cleaner!~

Star Cat:
Critique my art!: Starca10

On the next two, I focused more on the background than the subject.

Snail on rock:
Critique my art!: Snail_10

Frog on lily-pad on lake:
Critique my art!: Frog_b10

This next one is supposed to be a sketchy drawing with color. The two characters are supposed to be Vanoss (Bird (Owl)) and Wildcat (Pig) Any Vanoss fans??.

Vanoss and Wildcat:
Critique my art!: Vanoss10

Rushingpaw ║ ♀ ║ Apprentice - RiverClan[App Stats] 20 HP / 60 SP#C0D6E4

PitaPata Cat tickers
Back to top Go down
Stags

Stags

Virgo Tiger
Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: Critique my art!:   Critique my art!: EmptyMon 11 Dec 2017 - 21:52

Sorry, don't know what to say but where did you get that line art in your signature?

.: Coyotegrin :: Kestrelchirp :: Quailprowler : Singedfox :.
#9966ff : #cc3300 : #6699ff : #993366 : Bold
WC T5 Warrior : WC T3 Warrior : TC T2 Warrior : SC T1 Warrior (Perma-NPC)
"When there's nothing left to burn, you have to set yourself on fire."

Back to top Go down
Rossie

Characters : Yarrowkit (RC) Stone (Rogue)
Number of posts : 20

PostSubject: Re: Critique my art!:   Critique my art!: EmptyTue 12 Dec 2017 - 1:15

First of all, you have some very smooth lines, especially considering you're working with a mouse. I'm sure these took ages. Given that you have limited equipment, I'm going to try and keep my advice pretty general.

I apologize in advance if anything I go on about with the star cat are things you're already planning to correct. Hopefully what I have to say will help with the clean up.

I think if I were to critique anything about the pose, it would be the direction of the cat's eye. The pupil is facing us. I think if you were to have the pupil pointing to the mouse, it would feel more like a scene.

The outline is a little hard to look at. It's mainly the texture. The fuzzy glow needs to have a sharp outline to keep it from mixing into the background. I see you still have some dark outlines in there, but they're hard to see. The mouse's white outlines work really well here.

I really do love the colors blended into the cat. I will only say, don't be afraid to ramp up the brightness. You really want that cat to pop against the dark background, (without clashing of course.)

The snail is my personal favorite of the set. The colors you chose really go well together, and I love the shapes you used. The perspective is also pretty well done.

The big thing here is contrast. I picked out the colors, and I noticed you used the brightest possible pink. The problem is now when you go to get the white highlight, it's not actually all that brighter. In fact, it looks almost grayed out.

I'd recommend getting darker with your base colors. That way, you can really get the highlights to stand out. Make sure that the colors you want to be darker are noticeably darker. The outline on the snail's shell is pretty close the same bright tone.

And then there's the frog.

Kind of continuing the theme of the snail, watch the contrast of those highlights. Frogs are wet, shiny things. And wet shiny things tend to have really strong highlights. So boosting the brightness compared to the skin would really help with that.

Keep where your light is coming from in mind. I think you did a pretty good job of this, aside from the frog's nostrils. The highlighted area should be the furthest away from us, judging by the rest of the lighting.

I really thought his eyes were endearing.

As for the final piece, I'm not entirely sure who these two are. I think they're youtubers, right?

I don't have too much to say here. The lines look nice and smooth, and I really like how the black crest on the owl came out. It's pretty well done cartoony art.

I think the recurring theme here is contrast, both in your colors and the textures you use. Try not to use too many soft brushes. Sometimes you want a sharp edge to parts of your work. Push the differences in your shadows and highlights. Don't be afraid to make the darks dark and the lights light.

Well, I hope you found this helpful. If any of this was confusing, let me know and I'll try to clear it up.

Back to top Go down
Kent Mansley

Kent Mansley

Number of posts : 1273

PostSubject: Re: Critique my art!:   Critique my art!: EmptyTue 12 Dec 2017 - 5:40

I would focus on anatomy and perspective. Practice those two things and you'll certainly improve! Breaking down characters into cubes or spheres (not circles) will remind you to create a sense of depth.

I can tell this is something you aren't as good at mainly due to the fact that the first and last pictures look fine however, the two in the middle are drawn at an angle but they look a little off. Mainly the frog. Frogs have slits for nostrils but even as a stylistic choice they both appear to be on one side of the face. The eye was done correctly so, just do the same with the nostrils. Perspective comes into the picture when you look at the background. The frog appears to be floating above a pond instead of on top of it. Make the lily pads flat on top of the water and add a horizon.

Critique my art!: Tumblr_inline_nxdnzzrYTJ1tvy6vg_500

Birchheart ThunderClan Warrior #009999 Newttongue ThunderClan Warrior
#ff9900 Wildfire Young Warrior #ff99cc Boarpaw ThunderClan Apprentice #ff6600 Rainpaw ThunderClan MCA DarkSlateGray

My Characters || "Post Here" Page || Trials I Plot Sign Up

Critique my art!: Latest?cb=20130824163422

Back to top Go down
Middy

Middy

Characters : [R]ushingpaw
Clan/Rank : [R]-RC App
Leo Snake
Number of posts : 1958

PostSubject: Re: Critique my art!:   Critique my art!: EmptyThu 14 Dec 2017 - 15:30

@Stags: The running ones? Hazel customized the gif. Idk where she got it but I can ask.

@Rossie: Yeah I see your points. I've had trouble with contrast and textures but I have been practicing lately and expirementing to try to get better. Thank you for giving me tips! I really appriciate it! :)

@Jughead's Ghost: Perspective and anatomy are the main things that have always bugged me. I've been better at drawing characters with funny and goofy proportions. My last example is one of the tamer of the many cartoonish ones I make. I'd rather not post the rest on here as ya'll would think i'm weird. Also, thank you for the help and I will try to practice what you've pointed out! :)

Rushingpaw ║ ♀ ║ Apprentice - RiverClan[App Stats] 20 HP / 60 SP#C0D6E4

PitaPata Cat tickers
Back to top Go down
Not

Not

Number of posts : 3732

PostSubject: Re: Critique my art!:   Critique my art!: EmptyThu 14 Dec 2017 - 16:49

I like the star cat, but I'd say maybe use a blending brush to make it seem less scribbly. Also, maybe make the paws a bit smaller. The snail I like, but maybe make its shell a little darker because the highlights are a little blinding to try and see.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Critique my art!:   Critique my art!: Empty

Back to top Go down

Critique my art!:
Page 1 of 1