Warrior Clan Cats

The future's in your paws. Shape it well.

Roleplay in a cat Clan of warriors. Based off the Warriors series by Erin Hunter. Takes place in an AU before the cats in the books existed.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome to WCC! Here are our latest announcements:
Activity checks take place on the 1st of the month. If you miss one activity check, make sure you do the next one!
Greenleaf is finally here, and the clans all feel the effect of rising temperatures.
Gatherings take place on the 1st of the month; keep your eyes out for a staff member's post!
Please feel free to hit up any staff member if you have any questions!

Nightpaw's Medicine Cat Ceremony

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Holly
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Holly

Characters : | Leopardstar | Nightdancer | Lightningbreeze | Mistflower | Scarletflare |
Clan/Rank : | ShadowClan Leader | ThunderClan Warrior | SkyClan Warrior | SkyClan Warrior | RiverClan Warrior |
Gemini Cat
Number of posts : 6183

Nightpaw's Medicine Cat Ceremony Empty
PostSubject: Nightpaw's Medicine Cat Ceremony   Nightpaw's Medicine Cat Ceremony EmptySat 10 Aug 2024 - 15:38

i've given up on counting blessings
"Are you ready, Nightpaw?"

Leopardstar's voice cut through the medicine den, softer than she'd grown used to. It was a place she had avoided, and then tried to frequent, and then shied away from once again--a place haunted by the ghosts of friends dearly missed. But none of that was Nightpaw's fault. Neither was the way she felt like she was trespassing, intruding on sacred rites, even knowing that it was what needed to be done.

"If we leave now, we'll arrive well before moonhigh."

That was one of the small mercies of their dangerous marshland home: their proximity to Highstones was rivaled only by WindClan, and they had a secret pathway that allowed safe passage beneath the Thunderpath.

Not that it had ever proven particularly useful, in her memory.
the gods can judge me when i'm dead || code (c) kieer

ShadowClan ~ ThunderClan ~ SkyClan ~ SkyClan ~ RiverClan ~ Guardian of Twilight
Leader ~ Warrior ~ Warrior ~ Warrior ~ Warrior ~ Rogue
Tier 5 ~ Tier 5 ~ Tier 3 ~ Tier 3 ~ Tier 1 ~ Tier 1
Back to top Go down
chicago

chicago

Characters : [O] Oatfluff, [N] Nightowl, [S] Smokeytimber, [F] Foxpaw, [Su] Sunbear, [T] Tortoise
Clan/Rank : [O] T5 WindClan Warrior, [N] T1 ShadowClan MC, [S] T3 ShadowClan Warrior, [F] WindClan Apprentice, [Su] T1 WindClan Warrior, [T] T1 Loner
Libra Rooster
Number of posts : 433

PostSubject: Re: Nightpaw's Medicine Cat Ceremony   Nightpaw's Medicine Cat Ceremony EmptySun 11 Aug 2024 - 20:43

nightpaw
Nightpaw looked up from his herb stores at the sound of Leopardstar's voice. She'd spoken to him earlier about his progress, as well as Rookfire and Fuzzybelly. Had they decided he was ready to be named a full medicine cat? Apprehension stirred deep in his chest. Was he ready? As comfortable and as confident as he'd grown, it felt like there was still so much to learn. So many herbs, so many poultices, so many...

He took a deep breath. If he went about his whole life thinking he was never ready for anything, he'd never be ready for anything. A moment of introspection, and he was sure of it; he was way, way more prepared to become a medicine cat than he'd ever been prepared to become a warrior. Nightpaw smiled, perhaps still a bit uncertain, then answered, "Ready as I'll ever be."

It felt odd. Sure, Leopardstar had led his warrior ceremony all those moons ago, but... when he thought of his full medicine cat ceremony, he still pictured Heatherberry leading it. Saying the words, giving him his name. It wasn't like he really thought she'd come back before he got his name, but... maybe he'd just hoped she would. Really, really hoped.

It was only a small comfort that he hadn't seen her in StarClan yet.
HE/HIM - shadowclan medicine app. "everybody loves a quiet child . . ."

Oatfluff - T5 WindClan Warrior - #7f513e
Nightowl - T1 ShadowClan Med. Cat - #669966
Smokeytimber - T3 ShadowClan Warrior. - #626b7d
Foxpaw - WindClan App. - #f4ab6a
Sunbear - T1 WindClan Warrior - #cea716
Tortoise - T1 Loner - #6e6e33

Nightpaw's Medicine Cat Ceremony Aa9d24d70df9858f985c454d207b8b3cdc4cf12e
Back to top Go down
Holly
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Holly

Characters : | Leopardstar | Nightdancer | Lightningbreeze | Mistflower | Scarletflare |
Clan/Rank : | ShadowClan Leader | ThunderClan Warrior | SkyClan Warrior | SkyClan Warrior | RiverClan Warrior |
Gemini Cat

PostSubject: Re: Nightpaw's Medicine Cat Ceremony   Nightpaw's Medicine Cat Ceremony EmptyMon 12 Aug 2024 - 9:55

"Then let's begin."

Leopardstar led the way out of camp, following the well-worn path that countless medicine cats had traveled and she herself had only followed once.

"You know, I'd never even seen the Moonstone until it was time for my leader ceremony," she offered to fill the silence. "When I was young, there were no stars in the sky because the Dark Forest held them hostage, and we couldn't venture to Highstones. I wasn't even sure I believed in StarClan at all, until I saw them with my own eyes."

The day they stole her parents away a second time was the moment that provided solid proof of their existence.

She knew the path, for all she'd only walked it once before, and she followed it faithfully all the way to the entrance of the cavern. It wasn't her place, truthfully, to intrude upon the sacred space uninvited; not when she was bitter and angry and never had been called in service of their path. But in her daughter's continued absence, someone had to name Nightpaw a medicine cat, because no reasonable cat could deny that he had earned his place among them.

She stepped forward, leading the more familiar medicine cat apprentice through the winding maze of caverns with nothing but her memory and intuition. She was starting to worry that she'd gotten them lost when the soft glow of the Moonstone appeared in the distance, and she dipped her head in acknowledgement to Nightpaw.

"This is it, your last chance to turn away. But this path suits you, I think, in a way that ours never could."

Maybe there is some wisdom to be found in the stars after all.

Confident as she was in her belief that Nightpaw wouldn't turn back on his earlier words, she thought on the ceremony itself. It wasn't something she knew, not something she'd had the privilege of seeing.

She stood not far from the stone, gesturing silently with her tail for Nightpaw to stand so they both were bathed in its glowing light.

"I, Leopardstar, leader of ShadowClan, call upon ShadowClan's ancestors to gaze upon this apprentice. He has trained hard to understand the ways and the mysteries of a medicine cat, even in the absence of a proper mentor."

After a moment, her gaze met his.

"Nightpaw. Do you promise to uphold the traditions of a medicine cat, to stand apart from Clan rivalry and to protect all cats equally, even at the cost of your life?"

Back to top Go down
chicago

chicago

Characters : [O] Oatfluff, [N] Nightowl, [S] Smokeytimber, [F] Foxpaw, [Su] Sunbear, [T] Tortoise
Clan/Rank : [O] T5 WindClan Warrior, [N] T1 ShadowClan MC, [S] T3 ShadowClan Warrior, [F] WindClan Apprentice, [Su] T1 WindClan Warrior, [T] T1 Loner
Libra Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Nightpaw's Medicine Cat Ceremony   Nightpaw's Medicine Cat Ceremony EmptyTue 13 Aug 2024 - 13:27

nightpaw
Nightpaw would've been just fine making the journey in silence, but he was not upset to hear from Leopardstar. She had been something of an enigma to him for as long as he'd been alive, and it was almost nice to have a proper conversation with her - as somber as the words were. He looked at her for a moment, his fern gaze softening a bit. She was an apprentice once, just like me. She might seem untouchable... but she's just a cat.

As she continued, Nightpaw felt alarm spark beneath his fur. Curious as he was, he didn't think he'd ever heard of the Dark Forest beyond passing whispers in the nursery. They had taken over, at some point? Could they do it again? White hot fear blossomed in his chest, but he listened silently nonetheless. The leader's confession was surprising. No cat had ever admitted their doubt in StarClan in front of him. He'd never given it a second thought, truthfully. Surely, everyone believed in the stars - what reason would anyone have to question them? But he felt a rush of sympathy for Leopardstar.

"That... must've been hard. I can't even imagine life without the stars." Though the sky had not yet fully darkened, Nightpaw glanced upward anyway, as though searching for StarClan. More questions danced on the tip of his tongue - how did you take StarClan back? How did you fend off the dark Forest? How did anything go back to normal? But he got the sense that it might not be the best idea to ask them. After all, there was a hint of somberness in her tone, and he sensed that she had only revealed a very, very small part of the full story. "I suppose it's hard for most cats to believe in something they can't see, though. We Clan cats are skeptical." Nightpaw remarked softly, his whiskers twitching in faint amusement. Would his life be better, or worse without StarClan? He would never be a medicine cat if it weren't for their ancestors and Heatherberry's vision, but Heatherberry wouldn't have gone missing if he hadn't been busy conferring with StarClan. And it was the fault of so many cats before him that he'd set down the 'expected' path first, was it not? Without StarClan, would there be more free will?

The tuxedo was shaken from his thoughts as they approached Mothermouth. Leopardstar's footsteps never seemed to falter as the pair set off down the tunnels. The winding, narrow cavern seemed even smaller as he padded along. There were divots worn in the ground from generations upon generations of Clan cats before him; warriors, leaders, and medicine cats alike. It was only a small comfort. At every twist and turn, he still half expected to run into Heatherberry.

No matter how many times he walked this path, Nightpaw reached a point in the tunnel where nothing seemed familiar, and it felt as though the Moonstone's glow should've been apparent long ago. This time, though, Nightpaw's confidence remained. Was it a testament to how many times he'd taken this route? A testament to whether or not he deserved his name? He kept walking, his pawsteps sure as the day, and slowly, a faint blue glow came into focus.

The older she-cat turned to him, then. The chance to walk away, hm? Why would anyone walk away from this? He was StarClan's chosen. And this path... it was the only one he could hope to tread, really. Nightpaw nodded in agreement. "I feel like I was born to this. I couldn't see myself doing anything else... but thank you, Leopardstar." It was funny. If anyone had given him the choice to turn away from the path of a warrior, he would've surely taken it.

He followed Leopardstar into the cave. As many times as he'd seen it, the Moonstone was still as beautiful as ever. He didn't think he'd ever grow tired of its brilliant glow and the blue sheen it cast over the cavern walls. A faint smile tugged at the corners of his mouth, and he took his place beside Leopardstar with his head held high. As she regaled the words, his eyes met hers, soft green meeting forest green with a new confidence. His voice rang out across the cavern as he replied. "I do." For the first time, there was no doubt in his words as he spoke. 
HE/HIM - shadowclan medicine app. "everybody loves a quiet child . . ."

Back to top Go down
Holly
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Holly

Gemini Cat

PostSubject: Re: Nightpaw's Medicine Cat Ceremony   Nightpaw's Medicine Cat Ceremony EmptyWed 14 Aug 2024 - 10:48

"So long as you know that there is always a choice," she murmured, unsure of which of them the words were meant for.

"It was difficult, I suppose," she acknowledged; more referring to the act of their return than anything, but Nightpaw didn't need to know that. She saw no reason to burden him with such heavy sorrows on a day meant for joy and celebration. "Though my kin and Clan helped me through it, at the time. We did what we could for one another, just as we're meant to now."

Another pause, considering his words.

I wouldn't call myself a skeptic, exactly. Well... Maybe back then, when nothing seemed real.

Despite her continued thoughts, Leopardstar held her tongue and listened as he spoke, as he made his commitment clear once again.

"Then it is my honor to name you as a medicine cat in your own right."

She was twisting the words to suit the situation in the moment, but that was all she knew how to do; to refine and revise something that wasn't meant to fit, like she herself was never meant to stand across from Nightpaw in this cavern.

"From this day forward, you will be known as Nightowl. ShadowClan honors your devotion to the path you have chosen to walk and your commitment to the responsibilities of a medicine cat."

She paused again, a moment's hesitation, and then steadied herself with a smile; touching her nose to his shoulder as she did for each warrior. She wasn't sure the motion was meant for this ceremony, but she also wasn't sure what was.

"There is something I want to make very clear. Something I'm not sure I ever adequately conveyed to any of your predecessors. My faith in our ancestors may waver, when their whims cause us to suffer; but just as I placed my faith in those that walked this path before you, I have faith in you, Nightowl."

Yet another pause.

"Now, go and speak with the ancestors; but take care to remember that you are not more of them than you are of us. You are alive and ShadowClan, even if your path calls you to stand apart from the rest--just as mine so often does."

She tilted her head, finding a rare easy smile. "Or disregard my advice entirely. Your path is yours, I only wish to ensure you have the freedom to walk it any way you choose. When you next wake, we will be equals--and perhaps, if you so choose, friends."

It felt good, to speak openly and freely with any cat; and if Nightowl was meant to take the place of her advisor...

It was good that she liked him, then.

She found she felt the same urge she had when she looked at her kits and the rest of her kin; the same desire she felt for so many of her Clanmates, but rarely allowed herself close enough to truly recall: the desire to ensure that the world was a good and just place that would not bring him harm.

Back to top Go down
chicago

chicago

Libra Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Nightpaw's Medicine Cat Ceremony   Nightpaw's Medicine Cat Ceremony EmptyTue 20 Aug 2024 - 17:12

NIGHTOWL
Is it easy to keep so quiet?

Nightowl. The newly named medicine cat blinked slowly as Leopardstar spoke. His smile, which had begun as one of faint, uncertain joy, seemed to grow more sure of itself as she spoke. Nightowl. It was... perfect. He'd been half expecting something he would hate, something he'd never grow used to. But it was him. It signified his promise. And he knew his was a promise he'd keep with every pawstep, every twitch of his whiskers, every breath. It was a vow he was proud to take. Could he ever have said the same back at his warrior ceremony?

No. He knew it as sure as the day. There was a new pride and sense of purpose that had blossomed beneath his pelt as Leopardstar uttered his new name for the very first time; it was one he had never felt in his life. Was this how warriors felt at their ceremonies? In the midst of battle, defending their Clan? After their first catch of the day? A soft purr rumbled in his chest as she touched her nose to his shoulder. It was almost comical; she had to bend down to do so, as even past his adolescence, he'd barely reached the size of the other fully grown ShadowClanners. But he rested his chin on the top of her head for just a moment, then met her gaze once more as she continued to speak.

I have faith in you, Nightowl. Nightowl paused. Her words did not necessarily call for a reply, and yet part of him felt compelled to say something, anything, to reassure her that he understood. That he, too, knew what it was like to doubt StarClan. From birth, as much as he put in his due faith, he had never exactly been happy with the cats that walked those starry grounds. Amusement twitched at his whiskers. "If any cat knows what it's like to be less than thrilled with our ancestors, it's me. But thank you for your faith. For everything. I'm... I'm not sure I've ever had anyone place their faith in me before - save maybe Heatherberry." The tom admitted, his eyes shining with gratitude - for her words, for her honesty. And look where that got Heatherberry, some part of him whispered, but he refused to let the notion grow any more than that.

Before Nightowl took his familiar place by the glimmering Moonstone, he paused. Another smile tugged at his lips. You are alive and ShadowClan. He had never fully felt like a part of his own Clan. The reassurance warmed him. He was, wasn't he? As much as he had felt out of place - and for so much of his life - he was now a full member of ShadowClan. It felt... good. As she spoke her parting words, bringing the ceremony to a close before he went to speak with StarClan, he dipped his head. "Friends... I would like that." There was a warmth in his voice as he spoke. Then he padded toward the stone and settled down. There wasn't a moment's hesitation as he pressed his nose to the stone, then drifted off into a deep sleep, for once hoping to dream of those starry grounds.
Everybody loves a quiet child.
ShadowClan • T1 Medicine Cat • He/Him • #669966
Credits: coding - xaandiir | image 1 | image 2 | image 3 | image 4 | image 5 | image 6

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nightpaw's Medicine Cat Ceremony   Nightpaw's Medicine Cat Ceremony Empty

Back to top Go down

Nightpaw's Medicine Cat Ceremony
Page 1 of 1