Warrior Clan Cats

The future's in your paws. Shape it well.

Roleplay in a cat Clan of warriors. Based off the Warriors series by Erin Hunter. Takes place in an AU before the cats in the books existed.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome to WCC! Here are our latest announcements:
Activity checks take place on the 1st of the month. PM a staff member with the completed form if you missed it.
Newleaf is finally here, and the Clans hope to find reprieve from the tough Leaf-bare.
Gatherings take place on the 1st of the month; keep your eyes out for a staff member's post!
Please feel free to hit up any staff member if you have any questions!

it's a dream and it's a bit of a dance [c]

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
lostfanboy

lostfanboy

Characters : Stormdance (S) Rainfrost (R) Sunpool (Su) Wrenpaw (W) Hawkmist (H)
Clan/Rank : Riverclan, Tier 5 Warrior (S) Skyclan, Tier 3 Warrior (R) Riverclan, Tier 2 Warrior (Su) Riverclan, Apprentice (W) Shadowclan, Tier 2 Warrior (H)
Sagittarius Dragon
Number of posts : 1017

it's a dream and it's a bit of a dance [c] Empty
PostSubject: it's a dream and it's a bit of a dance [c]   it's a dream and it's a bit of a dance [c] EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024 - 0:19

HawkmistHighpine

Perhaps one of his favorite parts about now being named a warrior is the freedom to leave camp whenever he wished (without having to concern himself with the idea of someone foolishly believing he was incapable of taking care of himself.) It was a small change, but Hawkmist relished it. A restless, sleepless day spurred by a recent argument with his father turned into a restless, sleepless evening, and with no immediate patrol scheduled, Hawkmist slipped out of camp just before nightfall brought the camp to life with activity.

Hawkmist did not spend much time in the sun, if he could help it. He didn’t like the feeling of the light exposing him even more than moonlight already did. He blamed the trip to the lake for his restlessness when he should be resting soundly. Still, today was a cloudy day, threatening freezing rain or snow that hadn’t fallen yet. He was sure it would make patrols more miserable later, but for now, it only created a foggy effect as the sun began to lower. The cold and the false sense of complete privacy helped ease the hot tension still itching under Hawkmist’s fur, icing over the boiling concoction of anger and, frustratingly, hurt, that roared to life inside him so easily and frequently.

Hawkmist felt more at home twisting amidst the foggy pines than he did in camp proper. True to his namesake, he nearly blended in with the mist, aiding him greatly as he hunted more by smell than by sight. The success of the hunt had a rare sense of intoxicating pride prickling under Hawkmist’s skin. He slinked between the trees, a ghost haunting his own territory, enjoying the silence. His paws almost took him towards the pine grove, but… no, visiting there for idle pleasure without Silverhawk by his side felt odd now. His paws itched, and he became suddenly aware of the lack of Silverhawk by his side.

Having entered warriorhood meant he had more opportunities than ever to spend most of his time plastered close to Silverhawk. The attention was addicting, regardless of whether his reception was negative or positive. A childish part of him almost itched to double back and retrieve Silverhawk, but that neediness made his stomach tighten with discomfort. He was perfectly fine on his own. He liked being on his own; that was how it always been. He would not let Silverhawk change that.

Shaking his head, Hawkmist diverted his path. He saw the ground change from marsh to solid forest ground as he walked closer to the Skyclan border, the heavy smell of oak drifting through the fog. He only lingered to clear his head, keep his paws moving rather than letting them stop. He walked along Shadowclan’s side of the border for a moment, renewing scent markers on fuzzy instinct. He did not intend to stay long, deciding to walk for only a few minutes longer before turning around and heading back to collect his buried prey.

However, a creak of wood, the rustle of leaves, and becoming aware of a sudden increase in the intensity of the Skyclan scent in the air had Hawkmist whirling around, claws already digging into the dirt on pure, fuzzy, defensive instinct. Visible now where she wasn’t before, the Skyclan she-cat didn’t look like much of a threat. (Though, who knew how many of her fellows were with her, hidden by the fog.) On the smaller side for Skyclan (seriously, some of those cats were giants), a soft gray, and with bright, startled pale green eyes. With a flick of his tail, Hawkmist noted that she was still firmly on her side of the border, just as he was, and he forced his fur to lay flat and his claws to retract.

He was sure he must’ve seen her around before, but he didn’t pay much attention to the faces of other clans. She seemed to be around his age though. With a blink, Hawkfrost offered a small nod. “Evening,” He said curtly, just for some semblance of politeness, not wanting to draw out this unexpected interaction any longer than it had already gone on.

#9999cc

Sunpool
RC Tier 2 Warrior
40HP/100SP
#de0404

Wrenpaw
RC Apprentice
20 HP/60SP
#1f6e55

Hawkmist
SC Tier 2 Warrior
40HP/100 SP
#7ba3a8

Rainfrost
SkC Tier 3 Warrior
50HP/120SP
#446fb3

My Cats!

Back to top Go down
Ash
Former Staff
Former Staff
Ash

Characters : Living: Perchstar [P], Bubblebeam [B], Dovetail [D], Hedgepaw [H], Larchpaw [L]. Deceased/Missing: Tansyfoot, Turtlepelt, Morning, Longwhisker, Ryestep, Poolmist, Nettletail, Halfmoon, Freckleface, Lionfur, Shimmerheart, Breezewhisker, Honeydrop, Ashstar, Snowpaw, Brushgaze (NPC), Shellwater, Snowblossom, Quailfeather, Gingerstripe, Carat, Redwing, Graybriar, Pricklebush, Appledapple, Flutterpetal, Felix.
Clan/Rank : [P]: RiverClan Leader. [B]: SkyClan T3 Warrior. [D]: RiverClan T3 Warrior. [H]: ShadowClan Apprentice. [L]: WindClan Apprentice.
Cancer Snake
Number of posts : 6713

PostSubject: Re: it's a dream and it's a bit of a dance [c]   it's a dream and it's a bit of a dance [c] EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024 - 22:58

Normally Bubblebeam would say that she preferred clear days, that she preferred the sun to shine down and warm everything. But lately when the sky was cloudless, it was just... colder. It left more room for the frigid winds to sweep down and chill her right to her bones. So lately, she liked the cloudier days better. And this evening was certainly anything but sunny. Fog, so thick she could hardly see in front of her face, made catching prey nearly impossible--so she just made the most of it and tried to enjoy the patrol. The heavy coldness of the mist ought to have made her cold, but instead it felt almost like a hug. Comforting. After everything she'd been through, she didn't mind a bit of comfort. It was nice just to walk along the border here. For some reason though, she felt her paws straying closer toward Highpine. Unlike their other border, this one wasn't scary. She'd never been attacked. She'd only ever met nice cats, like... Silverbird. The longing to run into him became intense, suddenly. Why did she miss him so dearly? They were just friends; she hadn't even spent that much time with him compared to everyone she knew back in camp. But right now, she wanted to be anywhere but camp. So here she was, wandering alongside the ShadowClan border.

She didn't see the other cat at first. With the whiteness of the mist and the whiteness of his pelt, he blended in eerily well, aside from the pair of yellow eyes she soon saw staring at her. Bubblebeam stopped, feeling her paws freeze in place. But the momentary fear was soon replaced by the stirrings of a quiet, long-forgotten sensation deep in her chest. Curiosity. This cat wasn't Silverbird, that much was obvious. But... were all ShadowClan cats nice, like him? He hadn't leapt to attack her or anything. They both remained squarely on their side of the border. Her head tilted to the side, pale green eyes taking in his scrawniness and the strange yet graceful predator-like way that he moved. He spoke--a bit flatly, but he spoke to her anyway. So he wouldn't be bothered if she responded.

The smile she gave was small, but bright. "Good evening," Bubblebeam said, blinking slowly in a friendly manner. "I almost didn't see you there, with this weather. You look just like the mist. ShadowClan cats really are stealthy!" She did not approach any closer, not wanting to seem like she ever intended to cross the border. Of course--she had once, on accident, but this tom didn't need to know that. It was much easier to shove the worry and the fear and the unhappiness deep down inside her when talking to someone who didn't know about any of it. "This is pretty early for you though, isn't it? Since ShadowClan cats wake up at night. Do you like waking up or sleeping in? I wake up pretty early, but then sometimes I miss seeing the sunset." Perhaps her desire to talk was making her ramble too much about... nothing. Bubblebeam blinked and laughed slightly. "Sorry, got carried away there. I'm Bubblebeam. What's your name?"

⸙ Larchpaw ⸙ ~ ☆ Perchstar ☆ ~ ♡ Hedgepaw ♡ ~ ◈ Dovetail ◈ ~ ○ Bubblebeam ○
⸙ WindClan ⸙ ~ ☆ RiverClan ☆ ~ ♡ ShadowClan ♡ ~ ◈ RiverClan ◈ ~ ○ SkyClan ○
⸙ Apprentice ⸙ ~ ☆ Tier 5 Leader ☆ ~ ♡ Apprentice ♡ ~ ◈ Tier 3 Warrior ◈ ~ ○ Tier 3 Warrior ○

~~PM me here or on Discord if you want a topic with any of my cats!~~
~Wonderful Signature by Xaandiir!~
Back to top Go down
lostfanboy

lostfanboy

Clan/Rank : Riverclan, Tier 5 Warrior (S) Skyclan, Tier 3 Warrior (R) Riverclan, Tier 2 Warrior (Su) Riverclan, Apprentice (W) Shadowclan, Tier 2 Warrior (H)
Sagittarius Dragon

PostSubject: Re: it's a dream and it's a bit of a dance [c]   it's a dream and it's a bit of a dance [c] EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024 - 19:33

HawkmistShadowclan Camp

What he had hoped to be a greeting and a goodbye in one word swiftly proved to be, at least to this she-cat’s interpretation, an invitation for chatter. Lowering the paw he'd lifted to begin walking again, Hawkmist’s ears laid flat for a moment. What is it about himself that made talkative cats believe he was a good conversation partner? Silverhawk could make a mountain out of a message that could only require a single word, (especially when he felt like annoying Hawkmist, which was frequently) but he at least acknowledged that Hawkmist hardly had the inclination towards conversation. He was far more likely to start a fight than talk.

He wondered for a moment if he should entertain this at all. It felt a bit like a trap. A voice that was suspiciously like Wolfshadow’s whispered in his mind that this she-cat only wanted to get Hawkmist to let his guard down, and suspicion bubbled up in his chest as his eyes narrowed. His paws felt tight and he found himself watching the she-cat as closely as he would a fox about to pounce, waiting for any display of aggression to ward against or weakness to take advantage of.

But… Skyclan seemed to have enough enemies without starting fights at the Shadowclan border for no reason, and Hawkmist had no desire to have one of his first acts as a warrior be causing problems for his own clan, as much as he may feel the flare of irritation. Besides, as he stared at this strange Skyclan cat, he could find nothing but… curiosity, and maybe a little excitement in pale green eyes that blinked so warmly at him. She stayed where she was, and offered her name easily. Bubblebeam. It was a kind name, and she had kind eyes. His tail flicked, and he forced his teeth to unclench and his ears to partially raise again.

After a beat of silence, Hawkmist finally addressed one of Bubblebeam’s questions.“...Hawkmist.” Pride, fresh and warm, bubbled up at the sound of his own warrior name, still sweet and new in his mouth. He did not pride himself in much, but the name still tasted honey-sweet. It was unfamiliar to feel any sort of fondness instead of bitterness and loathing at the sound of his own name, and so he savored the taste.

He suddenly wished, again, for Silverhawk by his side to aid in communication, as he so often was at gathering. Sure, he introduced Hawkmist as Pigeon and spoke with other cats in a way that made Hawkmist want to rip out either their throat or his, but at least he could do the talking instead of Hawkmist having to. Then, he thought about Silverhawk speaking to this sweet she-cat in his charming, inviting way, his eyes focused squarely on her instead of Hawkmist, and the thought set him so on edge he immediately wanted to start snapping his teeth. He shoved the thought down.

Breathing out carefully, and in the interest of peace, Hawkmist tried not to let that growl edge into his tone when he addressed the rest of Bubblebeam’s many questions. “I’m guessing Leopardstar chose my name partially because of my pelt, yes. It is an aid on days like these. Only on days like these.” His tail flicked vaguely towards the area around them, indicating the mist. “It… is early, yes. I could not sleep, so I went out for a hunt.” He paused, then immediately bit his tongue, tasting blood and angry with himself for revealing such an obvious weakness as sleep deprivation.

He looked up, searching for a way to cover up the fumble, and remembered something she said. “...I enjoy the sunset as well,” He mumbled, eyes narrowing as if he could spot the sun despite the fog and cloudy skies. Shaking his head hard, he turned his eyes back to Bubblebeam quickly. He eyed her for a moment, golden eyes still narrowed and hard, before he said, “It is early for me, but it’s getting late for you, isn’t it?” There was curiosity sparking in Hawkmist’s chest too, mixing in with thorn-sharp suspicion.

#9999cc

Sunpool
RC Tier 2 Warrior
40HP/100SP
#de0404

Wrenpaw
RC Apprentice
20 HP/60SP
#1f6e55

Hawkmist
SC Tier 2 Warrior
40HP/100 SP
#7ba3a8

Rainfrost
SkC Tier 3 Warrior
50HP/120SP
#446fb3

My Cats!

Back to top Go down
Ash
Former Staff
Former Staff
Ash

Characters : Living: Perchstar [P], Bubblebeam [B], Dovetail [D], Hedgepaw [H], Larchpaw [L]. Deceased/Missing: Tansyfoot, Turtlepelt, Morning, Longwhisker, Ryestep, Poolmist, Nettletail, Halfmoon, Freckleface, Lionfur, Shimmerheart, Breezewhisker, Honeydrop, Ashstar, Snowpaw, Brushgaze (NPC), Shellwater, Snowblossom, Quailfeather, Gingerstripe, Carat, Redwing, Graybriar, Pricklebush, Appledapple, Flutterpetal, Felix.
Clan/Rank : [P]: RiverClan Leader. [B]: SkyClan T3 Warrior. [D]: RiverClan T3 Warrior. [H]: ShadowClan Apprentice. [L]: WindClan Apprentice.
Cancer Snake

PostSubject: Re: it's a dream and it's a bit of a dance [c]   it's a dream and it's a bit of a dance [c] EmptyWed 28 Feb 2024 - 23:41

The tom on the other side of the border--Hawkmist, he now identified himself--seemed somewhat taken aback by her words. Probably he just wasn't expecting to be talked to. Or... talked at. But he'd encountered the wrong cat in that case, because Bubblebeam needed to talk to someone, and he was the only cat around. The only one who would let her ramble about unimportant things, anyway. And she could not stop thinking about Silverbird, despite how different the two were. But she ought to stop and focus on him. "Hawkmist," she said, tilting her head. Trying out the name on her tongue. It suited him. "Sharp as a bird of prey, but quiet and ethereal like this fog. A good name." She smiled at him. Maybe he wouldn't be as praise-crazy as Silverbird, but hopefully this couldn't possibly offend him. Even if she never talked to this tom again, it would be nice to make a friend. Or even just talk about nothing, sweet pleasantries, boring conversations. Stars how she missed being bored. What was it about this tom, his narrowed yellow eyes, that made her want to ask a million questions? Keep him talking. Talk about anything.

Despite the fact that he was right before her eyes, not too far away, it was almost difficult to keep vision on any part of him besides his eyes. They seemed to be unable to decide whether to glare at her or size her up predator-like. But Bubblebeam found somehow that she didn't mind, on the other side of the border like this. He could think whatever he wanted. As long as he talked. "I've been having trouble sleeping recently too," she said flippantly. It didn't matter; she wasn't confessing anything important. "It's strange, isn't it? That I'd rather be walking around in the cold than cooped up in my warm nest for even a second. My paws itch and I need to go somewhere. Even now, though I should be getting back home to sleep, I'd rather stay out here and talk with a stranger." She flicked her tail thoughtfully, considering the tom in front of her. This probably all seemed useless to him. It was hard to care, right now, with the looming prospect of returning home where so many mixed feelings awaited. "Things are simpler in the mist anyway. Simpler than at home."

When his eyes glanced upwards, hers did, too. Of course there was no hint of sun to be seen. Whatever she could make out of the sky was nothing but snow-gray clouds. Somehow, though, she didn't mind it too much. Blazes of bright orange color meant nothing without beige evenings. Hawkmist was looking at her strangely, when their eyes met again--but not unkindly. If he didn't want to talk, he'd just leave, right? "Yeah, it's late for me. How funny that we have completely different schedules, and yet run into each other here. Like fate almost. Not that I really believe in all that stuff, do you? I mean--we know the stars exist. But do they really care about us, or do they just watch us run around however we like and stop us when they feel like it suits them?" The words tasted oddly bitter. She'd liked talking to Birdsong at the Moonstone, but the darkness of life lately... it was easier to blame the stars than her own family. But she knew it wasn't their fault. "Hm. Didn't mean to get that off-track. It is late; once I get back to camp, I'll probably go straight to sleep. If I can sleep. Is it strange to be up during the darkness? A trade-off; it's harder for you to see prey, but it's harder for them to see you. I've never thought about it, but... I guess it would be nice not to worry about the sun glaring down on you all the time. Must be a lot colder though with none of the warmth. Do you not get cold?" It felt... refreshing, somehow, to indulge the kitlike side of her again and ask a million questions. It was more honest than the conversations she'd been having with everyone else lately, trying to put on a brave face or express her convoluted worries about the state of SkyClan. Focusing on something else completely... it made her feel more real. Pale-green eyes glowed out of the mist, waiting for a response from Hawkmist, if he hadn't been fed up with her by now.

⸙ Apprentice ⸙ ~ ☆ Tier 5 Leader ☆ ~ ♡ Apprentice ♡ ~ ◈ Tier 3 Warrior ◈ ~ ○ Tier 3 Warrior ○

Back to top Go down
lostfanboy

lostfanboy

Sagittarius Dragon

PostSubject: Re: it's a dream and it's a bit of a dance [c]   it's a dream and it's a bit of a dance [c] EmptyFri 1 Mar 2024 - 19:10

HawkmistHighpine

Unexpectedly, his name in Bubblebeam’s mouth tasted even sweeter than saying it himself had. It didn’t feel anything like the euphoria of Silverhawk using his name, nothing could ever match that, but still. Maybe it was the way she’d said it, delicately, curiously, like she was savoring it. Her head tilted to the side and her next words made Hawkmist’s eyes widen for a moment, genuine shock filtering across his features, and his fur growing so warm it was uncomfortable; a feeling he’d only ever associated with Silverhawk, and thus assumed Silverhawk was the only one who could cause such a sensation. It was disturbing that this strange Skyclan she-cat could cause that with just a compliment about his name. He blamed it on being unused to his name being received positively, for surely that could be the only reasoning.

Hawkmist swallowed hard, mouth suddenly dry. He didn’t feel the cold at all for a moment; like she had just shone the sun directly onto his fur. Get a grip. He growled in his own head, irritated with his own body’s reactions. He forced his expression to harden again, refusing to allow this (enemy clan!) cat to draw such emotion from him.

But it was hard to stay focused, because Bubblebeam was staring at him so intently, searching his gaze like she was trying to pry out all of his secrets from his eyes alone. Pale green, like fields of rolling grass or lake water glinting in sunlight, made him as unable to look away as she seemed to be. It was eerie, downright eerie, that this complete stranger could make him think of Silverhawk, to whom no one could compare. Certainly this chatty, overly-friendly cat was nothing like his best friend, and yet-- there was something in her eyes. An enigmatic glow, a magnetism that drew Hawkmist in. Hawkmist’s ear flicks back. It must be the sleeplessness, that must be what’s causing him to think this way.

Bubblebeam keeps talking (and talking) too fast for Hawkmist to come up with intelligent responses. Slowly, resigned to his fate (or maybe simply wound up in a spider’s web he couldn’t see, he still can’t quite decide how dangerous this cat is) he sat down, wrapping his tail over his paws as he watched Bubblebeam. She spoke of her own sleep deprivation as if it was a trivial matter, as if she didn’t mind exposing her dulled senses and lack of focus to him. Maybe she felt safe to reveal the weakness because he’d already done the same, but still. Hawkpaw’s claws dug briefly into the mud beneath the cover of his tail.

Something about her words drew something from him, a sympathetic understanding that made his nose wrinkle a little bit. She took a breath, likely to carry on, and he spoke softly in that moment. “...It is not that strange.” An unspoken I know how you feel was carried underneath the words. How many times, either by himself or after dragging Silverhawk out with him, did Hawkmist race from the confines of camp simply to escape having to think about himself, or his father, or any number of things?

She carried on, speaking of fate, and then the stars. Hawkmist blinked a few times, mildly overwhelmed by the amount of words she just directed at him and uncertain where to begin in his reply. Because surely she expected a reply? It shouldn’t matter to him what a cat he’d likely never see again except in glimpses expected of him, and yet… Bubblebeam looked at him with such fascination. Her attention was completely on him, as if he was something interesting, something worth looking at with light shining in her eyes, and… and Hawkmist did not want that attention to leave. At least not yet. It was as soothing of a balm to the tension around his heart as the walk through the mist had been. It almost made him angry, made him want to lash out at her and sink his teeth in just to stop the confusion of his own reactions, but still-- still, he did not want to make that attention leave.

“The cold doesn't bother me much.” He finally said after a moment. “I find it more uncomfortable to deal with excessive heat."His nose wrinkled for a moment. “I don’t know how Windclan cats can stand living in a place with little shelter or shade.” Then he lifted his shoulders in a shrug as he said, “As for the darkness, it’s not strange to me. It’s what I’ve known my whole life. It was much stranger to sleep during the night during the journey to the lake and back. I find it comforting. The dark, I mean." Hawkmist’s voice was flat, edge with a tone of irritation he could never quite shake, the result of his current mixed emotions and reaction to the cat in front of him. Yet, he answered all the same.

“And, no, I do not put much stock into the stars.” Hawkmist’s ears laid flat for a moment. No, he did not have much faith in Starclan. His moonstone ceremony had been fine. But still, Starclan took his mother instead of him when he was born, cursing him to this life he had no part in, and the stars seemed to have no interest in preserving his clan. Shadowclan took care of themselves, not because cats dead and gone had any say in it. “I don’t believe in fate either. Our actions are our own. I don’t want some dead cat deciding my future for me. My future is mine. If I ruin my own life, that’s more bearable than being doomed to do so because someone decided that for me.” His words almost edge with a growl unintentionally.

Hawkmist blinked as he finished speaking, then blinked again. Golden eyes narrowed once more. He did not mean to say that much, and his mouth tastes like ash from the accidental confessions rolled into those statements. He ground his teeth and shook his head hard. He lifted his head to look at her again, and-- surely his mouth must now have a mind of his own, because of all the things he wanted to say (a dismissal, an excuse to leave, a demand for explanation she didn’t truly owe), what came out was just, “Why can’t you sleep?”

#9999cc

Sunpool
RC Tier 2 Warrior
40HP/100SP
#de0404

Wrenpaw
RC Apprentice
20 HP/60SP
#1f6e55

Hawkmist
SC Tier 2 Warrior
40HP/100 SP
#7ba3a8

Rainfrost
SkC Tier 3 Warrior
50HP/120SP
#446fb3

My Cats!

Back to top Go down
Ash
Former Staff
Former Staff
Ash

Cancer Snake

PostSubject: Re: it's a dream and it's a bit of a dance [c]   it's a dream and it's a bit of a dance [c] EmptySat 2 Mar 2024 - 17:41

Either all ShadowClan cats didn't mind long conversations with strangers, or Bubblebeam had somehow found the two best possible conversation partners by pure chance. She couldn't deny how nice it was to stand here, ignoring all responsibilities and needs, just talking to someone who she barely knew. As the sun set further, obscured completely by clouds, the temperature dropped even more. The fog swirling around the two cats grew even more chilly. Thankfully her thick fur managed to keep out most of the cold, but she couldn't keep a shiver or two from shuddering through her body. It was only something she hardly noticed, though, as she kept her entire attention fixed on Hawkmist. The way his slight facial expressions shifted, changing in minute ways that she couldn't read, was intriguing. It kept her interest, kept her pale green gaze on his. Yellow eyes, darkening or nearly melting in turn, seemingly inscrutable. Why did he act the way he did? Why did she want to find out?

He was humoring her, also. Despite the occasional lash of his tail or sullen glare, he responded--and with a sheer honesty she was unused to. All she could do was respond in kind, letting her face take on a thoughtful expression. "I've almost forgotten what excessive heat feels like," she murmured. "I was a kit during greenleaf, so most of what I remember is leaf-fall and this awful leaf-bare that has been going on forever. Snow is nice in moderation, but... I want variety in the seasons. I think if the cold lasts much longer, then I'll get tired of it. I agree, though, that a territory with no trees sounds uncomfortable. It's good to have shade, or a den to hide in when the weather gets too extreme." She was about to say that she liked SkyClan, but... she was no longer sure whether that was true. The realization felt like a pawful of snow to the face, like when she'd played with Mintglade in the lake territories. SkyClan territory was beautiful. Many of the cats she loved lived there. But... after knowing the problems that lay so deep within its bones, she wasn't sure if she loved the whole. If she even liked it. How odd. When, exactly, had that changed?

Hawkmist was responding, though, and that was more important than her worries. Wasn't that why she had started talking to him in the first place? Bubblebeam listened, heard the strange half-growling tone of his voice, and took it in. "I don't mind the dark," she said honestly. "I don't know if I could stay awake all night like you do, but... I like it because I don't have any responsibilities. I can just go for a walk and not really worry about running into a problem or anyone I don't want to see. The moon is pretty, too." At the thought, she glanced up, but the mist still obscured any hint of sky. She blinked, then met Hawkmist's gaze again. "If you're used to it, though, it would be like day to you. I guess that's one of the problems with the forest, isn't it? Not that you're awake in the night, and I in the day--just that, we all have such different ways of seeing the same things. If we could all see eye-to-eye, then... maybe it would be more peaceful. We wouldn't have to worry so much." Her ramblings weren't important, though, so she just let them trail off. There wasn't much point in what-ifs. A far cry from her kithood dreams of jumping over the sun. If a world existed where things were better, then wishing for it wouldn't do much. She just had to make the best of what she had... difficult as that had become.

To her surprise, Hawkmist didn't just stop at answering her questions. He elaborated on his thought process. He spoke plainly, but in a way that got to the heart of the matter quickly, instead of talking around it as she sometimes accidentally did or going past it too quickly. For some reason... the words he said stuck with her.

"Our actions are our own. I don’t want some dead cat deciding my future for me. My future is mine. If I ruin my own life, that’s more bearable than being doomed to do so because someone decided that for me.”

Bubblebeam blinked. She'd never subscribed to the belief that the stars decided everything, but... for some reason, she'd also never really thought of her life that way. There were so many rules, and so many cats she didn't want to disappoint. She'd always walked within the lines for her safety and for that of those she loved, but... where had that gotten her? Torn to shreds in a border skirmish following her father. Moons of torment far away from home. Sidelines of a war that killed and injured her friends and family. Actively splintering relationships. What if she just... wasn't afraid? What if she ruined her own life, just for it to finally be hers? Could she do that? Could she just let go of her worries and obligations, and just... choose something that would make her happy for once? Her eyes had gone saucer-wide for a moment, simply taking in the concept. Even talking to Birdsong, who'd left and found happiness in a different Clan after becoming disillusioned with her family and SkyClan, it hadn't ever seemed like something she could do. Not when she loved her siblings so much, and her friends, and....

But what good was giving all of yourself in love for others if you yourself were unhappy?

"...My own life."

She hadn't noticed the brief silence that lulled over the conversation until Hawkmist spoke again. This time, he asked a question, directed at her. Bubblebeam blinked, shaking herself back to reality. Back to the conversation. He'd been kind enough to respond to her, so she ought to answer whatever he wanted to know. But... why the narrowing of his eyes, and why such a personal question? Did this tom she'd only just met really care more about her sleep schedule than her own family members? What an odd evening this was turning out to be. For some reason she couldn't quite put a paw on, a small smile--part sad, part sweet--made its way onto her face, replacing her half-shocked expression. "It's complicated," she meowed, cocking her head. "There's been a lot going on recently. A lot of fighting, a lot of worries, and a lot of it involves my family. And besides, ever since we initially left the forest, things have been... different. It makes my head spin. Not to mention the nightmares." It felt odd to mention them at all, let alone so nonchalantly--but, he had asked. What was the chance that anything she said now would come back to bite her? In all likelihood she would never see this tom again. So she smiled anyway. "From when foxes invaded the camp that one time. Or the ThunderClan cat who scarred me. Or the wolves on the trip back from the lake, or even when my friend got back from the battle all covered in blood. My father looked so mad I didn't even recognize him. It's all just a lot, y'know? Too much to think about. So... I try not to. Maybe I ought to just stop worrying about it. I'd rather feel free, like you. Even if it makes my life worse... at least it's mine, right? Not my dad's. Not my grandmother's." That had all been a lot to say. She hadn't intended to let all of it slip out, but there--now it was out. She really didn't care if it made SkyClan look bad anymore. So instead Bubblebeam blinked slowly, flicked an ear, kept the soft smile for Hawkmist. "And... you? What's keeping you from a good night's sleep?"

Back to top Go down
lostfanboy

lostfanboy

Sagittarius Dragon

PostSubject: Re: it's a dream and it's a bit of a dance [c]   it's a dream and it's a bit of a dance [c] EmptyWed 13 Mar 2024 - 19:53

HawkmistHighpine

Hawkmist curled his tail over his paws. Similarly, he felt the cold settling in around them, but the cold embrace of the night only brought a sense of familiarity. The last of the light was leaving the sky, but the fog remained, giving the impression that the two cats, rather than sitting on either side of a border, floated in a void; nothing and no one else nearby. Bubblebeam seemed to occupy all of Hawkmist’s attention, anyhow.

Bubblebeam did not notice her own shivering, but Hawkmist did, eyes sharpening and narrowing as he watched Bubblebeam’s fur twitch and shudder into place. He had the strangest, yet prominent thought that someone like her did not belong out here in the cold and the dark with someone like him. She belonged somewhere warm, somewhere safe. Yet, here she was, with that attention on him, and here he was, with his attention on her. He could pose a clear, actionable threat against her, could easily take her off guard if he chose to unsheathe his claws, yet she had shown no fear. It was… strange. Interesting. But strange.

Hawkmist’s embrace of the cold and his distracted thoughts did not keep him from being aware of the fact that Shadowclan patrols would begin soon enough. He kept his ears perked for sounds of his clanmates approaching, aware that the time they had together could not be so unlimited. She would have to return to her own clan and he to his own. Yet, strangely, he wanted to keep examining her a while longer, and hoped that no one would come to cut the interaction short before he was ready to leave or she grew tired of his prickly nature.

He listened to her talk about her opinion on the weather with nothing more than a flick of his ear; he too was born in Greenleaf, but scarcely remembered it. It occurred to him then that they must be nearly the same age, closer even in age than he and Silverhawk were. He wondered if her name was as recent as his. His ears pressed flat for a moment as she discussed the differences between the clans. He supposed he saw her point, but that perspective was naive. Conflict was inevitable, impossible to avoid. He opened his mouth to say as much, only to notice the look on her face.

Bubblebeam looked shocked at his earlier words, as if he’d offered her a revelation. He was too taken off guard by that look to speak further for a moment.

By the time he’d taken stock of his own silence, she was responding to his question. And again, Hawkmist listened quietly. The small, sad smile that appeared on Bubblebeam’s face was unexpected. There had been a weight on her shoulders the entire time they spoke, even someone as socially inept as Hawkmist could see that much, but as they spoke her pale green eyes had shone as bright as the sun. Now, they dimmed. Her answers were so honest they stunned him; speaking of issues within her clan as if he was someone she could trust with such information (could she?) and offering personal insight that made his head spin. She spoke of it nonchalantly, but the action left her achingly vulnerable, as if she’d pried herself open for his eyes. He wasn’t sure what he was expecting when he asked that, but it was not this.

He once again reflected on how easy it would be to take advantage of that, and found he did not want to. He’d done nothing to earn such trust. Maybe it was not even trust; maybe it was just the type of cat she was, and if that were the case, the more the fool that she was, but-- still. Hawkmist did not know what to say for a moment. Not even Silverhawk had spoken so frankly about his history; the things Hawkmist was not by his side for he had very little information on. It was a fact that often frustrated Hawkmist. Despite knowing he could never be the type to offer or return it earnestly, the honesty was… refreshing.

Hawkmist’s eyes traced over Bubblebeam again with new context, taking in the scar over her eyes and, despite the gentle air about her, the strength in her limbs, and he found an unexpected emotion usually reserved for leaders, medicine cats, and Silverhawk’s family; respect. There was a strength in this she-cat. Perhaps that was what drew Hawkmist to her. It was also strange to find himself relating to a complete stranger, familiar as he was with some of the emotions she described.

Realizing it was him who’d allowed the silence to stretch for too long this time, Hawkmist’s ear flicked and he spoke. “It is your own.” He meowed in agreement. “You are strong to have survived thus far. Many didn’t.” He pointed out mildly. “I am certain you will continue to survive, even as it is difficult.” It was as much of an encouragement, or comfort, as he felt able to give. Why he felt the need to give any at all was beyond him, and he certainly had never been taught how to use such words. He never needed them with Silverhawk, and he’d rarely received them for himself.

Then came her return question, and Hawkmist finally broke her gaze, uncertain how to answer. His ears laid back for a moment as he rolled the answers around in his mind. He wasn’t used to speaking such things out loud. When he felt worked up as he had, he didn’t talk it out. He did something until the emotion went away; hunted, fought Silverhawk or groomed so aggressively he’d feel sore afterwards. Something physical, requiring no words to be brought to his emotions.

“I am restless by nature,” He finally spoke quietly. Then, more words came following that admission. “My… father,” He spoke the word almost in a growl, “And I got into an argument. Typical for us, but it worked me up, I guess." He shrugged a little. “I don’t even remember what it was about anymore. Just that I was too angry to sleep.” He gave a small huff, irritated with his own lack of control. He slid his gaze back to Bubblebeam’s. “Small concerns in comparison,” He said, and for once, his words carried no bitterness. He offered Bubblebeam a grimace that could almost be interpreted as a wry smile, flickering and unnatural as the action was.

“Anyway, I needed some air. I find camp gets… stuffy. Too many other cats. It was worse at the lake.” His upper lip curled at the memory, teeth exposed. “I hate gatherings as a rule. Too many cats. It’s all so much. And that was constant. Could barely get any air.” He huffed through his nose and shook his head. “At least as a warrior I can go whenever I like now.” Not that the rules always stopped him and Silverhawk, but that was beside the point.

Finding himself oddly talkative, Hawkmist carried on and softly added, "I was born in Greenleaf too. I don't remember it much, but I do like the snow. Easier to hide in." He said softly. "For me, anyway."

#9999cc

Sunpool
RC Tier 2 Warrior
40HP/100SP
#de0404

Wrenpaw
RC Apprentice
20 HP/60SP
#1f6e55

Hawkmist
SC Tier 2 Warrior
40HP/100 SP
#7ba3a8

Rainfrost
SkC Tier 3 Warrior
50HP/120SP
#446fb3

My Cats!

Back to top Go down
Ash
Former Staff
Former Staff
Ash

Cancer Snake

PostSubject: Re: it's a dream and it's a bit of a dance [c]   it's a dream and it's a bit of a dance [c] EmptyFri 15 Mar 2024 - 20:20

Strong. It was never a word Bubblebeam had identified with. Strong was the warrior who'd bodied her in their fight, destroyed her completely without a second thought using their superior weight and skill. Strong was her father--for better or for worse--and his willingness to use claws. Wolfblossom had called her that once, too, but she'd rejected it immediately. She wasn't strong. She was the weakest cat she knew. And yet, when Hawkmist said it, it sounded more true. More honest. Perhaps due to the bluntness with which he'd spoken this entire conversation, or the matter-of-fact stoicism on his face. He would have no reason to lie, while her grandmother would have every reason to appease her. But the way he said it... she almost believed it. Strong for surviving. Not strong for winning at fights, or for keeping her sense of self, but... for surviving. Was he right? Was that a kind of strength? To live, and to keep living? How did this tom's short sentences somehow tear her worldview right open from head to tail, leave her spinning as if the sky had become the ground beneath her paws? There was little to say in response, whether she accepted it or not, so Bubblebeam simply dipped her head to acknowledge it. Strong. Strong for surviving. Maybe she could believe that, if she let it sit in her mind for a while.

Finally, a stronger hint of emotion on his face. He broke eye contact, the piercing yellow finally looking elsewhere. She'd hit a mark. Perhaps both of them had wandered out here at strange times for their respective schedules for a similar reason... both not running from something, but simply leaving it. Seeking comfort in the wilderness. And they'd found it, hadn't they? In each other? Or at least, she felt that she had somehow found it in him. Hopefully she could return the favor. As Hawkmist spoke, mentioning his father, she felt a strange twinge of kinship. A difficult relationship with a father... she could relate. Almost without thinking, she shook her head as their eyes met again. "Not that small," she said. "The importance of things lies in how they make you feel. Whether it's a large happening or a small one, all events affect different cats differently. If an argument with your father is upsetting, then it's upsetting. No need to compare." The tip of her tail flicked behind her. "And for what it's worth, though I'm sure our fathers are different... I understand the feeling. I won't speculate on exactly what your relationships are. But I know what it's like to struggle through that kind of feeling--knowing someone's related to you by blood, and... sometimes wishing they weren't." It was true. She realized it now; she wasn't just speaking words. Whatever Sunfire was to her, they weren't as close as they used to be. Maybe if she wasn't his daughter, then she wouldn't feel so--no, that thought wasn't a good one. She blinked hard to wish it away. Aside from that, though, she kept listening to Hawkmist. It was as good a distraction as anything.

Bubblebeam couldn't help but feel a smile returning to her face. Again, despite their differences, they were so similar. How odd, to feel a sense of instant kinship with a cat she'd never seen before, compared to many of her own Clanmates. "Yes. Too many different feelings, emotions, stresses all pushing in on each other. In times of trouble it only gets worse. I don't mind spending time around other cats, but... it really gets overwhelming when your own mind is so loud, doesn't it?" The mention of the lake sent a shudder through her, one different from the brief tremors of cold from the fog. "Ugh. I'm very glad to be back from the lake territories. Despite all the recent trouble here, I'd rather be miserable here than peaceful there. Just... something about the open spaces, about the way everyone had to act normal even though everybody got sick and we were all driven out of our homes--it was awful. I'm so glad it's over." Her head tilted again, and something deep in the back of her pale gray-green eyes glittered. "I wonder if we ever saw each other on the journey. There were too many cats, so probably not... but it's odd to think we might've accidentally bumped shoulders back then, too. We could've met earlier. I wonder if we would've been friends, then." It would be nice to be friends with Hawkmist, she thought idly. For no particular reason. He just seemed... interesting. And their conversation had gone so well, so far. What if they could just sit and talk like this whenever they wanted? Complain about mundane things like the weather or the patrols? It felt appealing in a different way to her friendships with cats like Honeydew or Mintglade, for some reason.

"Oh, the snow--that's probably why we've never met before. I wouldn't have seen you amongst all the white." Bubblebeam laughed suddenly as the thought struck her. For some reason, the idea of crossing paths with a younger Hawkmist but mistaking him for a snowdrift was funny--moreso than anything else had been recently. She grinned. "I almost missed you in the fog, too, if not for your eyes. They're very striking. I don't think the color of your fur is the only thing stealthy about you, though. I'm sure even in the pitch black dark, I might not have seen you. You move so quietly. Really, ShadowClan cats are so quiet. Whereas I can't help chattering like a bird--I guess that's my SkyClan blood." It was a horrible joke, but her mood was so strange she couldn't help snorting at it anyway. "We're probably about the same age, then. I was an apprentice for the whole journey and just got my name recently. I was worried I might not get it, honestly--but I'm glad I got it here instead of at the lake. I wouldn't want that moment tied to a place I hate so much." She'd grown so comfortable again that the cold and fog no longer seemed real to her. "Did you get your name just a moon or so ago, too? We have a lot of things in common, even though we're so different. Almost like we were destined to run into each other or something. But--you said you didn't believe in fate, right? So I guess it can't be. It's just our choices that led us here. Choices so similar that we somehow crossed paths at the least likely time. I'm glad, though." It was true; this had refreshed her soul so far in ways she didn't even know that she had needed. The newness, the distraction, kept all the weary worries from her mind. Bubblebeam smiled again, making sure to meet Hawkmist's eyes. "It's been nice talking to you."

Back to top Go down
lostfanboy

lostfanboy

Sagittarius Dragon

PostSubject: Re: it's a dream and it's a bit of a dance [c]   it's a dream and it's a bit of a dance [c] EmptySat 13 Apr 2024 - 21:35

HawkmistHighpine

Bubblebeam’s words were… gentle. Almost reassuring. Almost comforting in nature. Hawkmist was not a creature used to gentleness, to comfort. He’d found fleeting glimpses of it in Pineblossom, and in Hedgepaw, but the way Bubblebeam spoke was different. Perhaps it was the understanding in her tone. She didn’t speak from a place of sympathy, of disgusting pity, but from experience. Yes, there were many times Hawkmist had wished he were not related to his father at all, that he could escape the cloying chokehold Wolfshadow’s temper, personality, and history has on his life, that he was raised by someone like Pineblossom… but he could not escape his father’s blood. Neither could Bubblebeam with her own father, it seemed.

There was something comforting in that, a sense of kinship. He’d felt something similar with Silverhawk before, but only in glimpses. It was one of many silent understandings between them, what he’s picked up about Silverhawk and his birth mother, but they never spoke about it so bluntly. He knew too that Silverhawk was aware of his father, but this too they did not address out loud. Silverhawk just let him vent his frustrations in their fights; riled him up in just the right way and helped him release the creature that clawed at his ribcage around his heart. And that too was needed, desperately so.

But Bubblebeam’s words soothed that awful squirming thing that sat in place of Hawkmist’s heart instead of beating it into silence. It was different… and Hawkmist thought it was needed too in a way. What a thing to find in a chance encounter. How strange to find himself feeling connected to a near-stranger. Maybe not a stranger anymore. Hawkmist rarely felt like he understood other cats, but for just a moment, he felt like he understood her.

As she had done with his own words, he gave a little dip of his head in acknowledgement to her admission, and hoped that his gaze communicated the feelings he certainly had no words for.

Bubblebeam smiled, and it was so sweet, so earnest. Hawkmist once again found his thoughts, thoroughly out of his control by now, comparing her to the sun. Despite the fact that in the time they’d been talking, the sun had nearly completely disappeared, leaving them in near-complete darkness, Hawkmist still felt as though there was warmth on his fur. How strange.

Hawkmist found himself making a quiet hum of agreement to her comments about the lake territories, his nose wrinkling at the memory. He flicked his gaze up to meet her gentle eyes once more, and found himself captivated by the emotion glinting there. Friends. Hawkmist had precious few of those; only one, really, if he allowed himself to admit that he considered Pineblossom and Hedgepaw more family than friend. He should not even consider a friendship with a cat from another clan, such a thing could only spell trouble, and yet what he said was, “No reason we can’t start now.”

Foolish, and Hawkmist would’ve tried to walk the words back if it weren’t for the musical laughter that left Bubblebeam at comparing his fur to the snow, and to his shock he found his lips curling up slightly in response. Brief and fleeting, but there all the same. And then she kept going, and his shock made heat creep up his pelt and fill his face and suddenly it was hard to breathe because she had called his eyes striking, and he’s not sure he’s heard anyone say something so complementary about his appearance before. He huffed out air that could’ve been something like a laugh at her little joke, but was more just an attempt to regain the air she’d stolen right from his chest.

Hawkmist swallowed hard. It’s freezing out, but Hawkmist took a moment to be able to feel the cold again. He blinked hard, and then spoke quietly, “I did. I was frustrated with the wait as well. My…” He trailed off. What term to use for Silverhawk? Something as simple as friends didn’t seem to cover it. No, there was nothing that could easily define his relationship to Silverhawk, but Hawkmist made an attempt anyway. “Close friend had been named several moons ahead of me. He wouldn’t stop rubbing it in.” He took a minute to roll his eyes at the memory, and, far away from Silverhawk being able to catch it, the action was almost fond. “It was… lonely waiting to catch up to him.” His voice was a little quieter then. He had meant to say annoying. It was disconcerting how easily she drew the truth from him.

He shook his head, then met Bubblebeam’s gaze as well. “I, erhm.” His ears flicked back and he was suddenly overwhelmed. What right did she have to call his eyes striking when she disarmed him with her gaze alone? He looked away. “I enjoyed our time together as well,” He said, voice gruff to try and make up for the words he’s speaking. “I feel…” He trailed off. He felt better. A lot better, even. Like he could go home and sleep rather easily.

Oh, he needed to get out of there.

He shook his head and looked at Bubblebeam, and despite the urge to bolt, still found himself blinking slowly at her as he rose to his feet. “Perhaps we’ll talk again soon; but the dusk border patrol will likely come by soon, and you should get back to your camp as well.” He gave a jerky nod, skin buzzing. “I. Um.” He wasn’t sure how to end this conversation. It had started so unexpectedly, and he was still recovering from so many unexpected emotions so quickly. “Goodnight. And thank you.” With that, he turned and marched quickly into the fog, heart beating fast.

Despite his own hasty retreat, Hawkmist found himself looking back a few pawsteps away, just in time to catch a glimpse of gray in the fog. He stood still for a heartbeat longer, than shook his head hard and continued his journey home.

#9999cc

Sunpool
RC Tier 2 Warrior
40HP/100SP
#de0404

Wrenpaw
RC Apprentice
20 HP/60SP
#1f6e55

Hawkmist
SC Tier 2 Warrior
40HP/100 SP
#7ba3a8

Rainfrost
SkC Tier 3 Warrior
50HP/120SP
#446fb3

My Cats!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: it's a dream and it's a bit of a dance [c]   it's a dream and it's a bit of a dance [c] Empty

Back to top Go down

it's a dream and it's a bit of a dance [c]
Page 1 of 1