Warrior Clan Cats

The future's in your paws. Shape it well.

Roleplay in a cat Clan of warriors. Based off the Warriors series by Erin Hunter. Takes place in an AU before the cats in the books existed.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome to WCC! Here are our latest announcements:
Activity checks take place on the 1st of the month. PM a staff member with the completed form if you missed it.
Newleaf is finally here, and the Clans hope to find reprieve from the tough Leaf-bare.
Gatherings take place on the 1st of the month; keep your eyes out for a staff member's post!
Please feel free to hit up any staff member if you have any questions!

hand extended waiting for a shake [C]

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
downfive
Former Staff
Former Staff
downfive

Characters : [R]owansong [Ro]okflight [S]ilverhawk [P]igeonpouce [F]ish [T]wilightkit
Clan/Rank : [R] RiverClan T5 Elder [Ro] RiverClan T4 Warrior [S] ShadowClan T3 Warrior [P] T2 RiverClan Warrior [F] T2 Rogue [T] RiverClan Kit
Pisces Horse
Number of posts : 2499

hand extended waiting for a shake [C] Empty
PostSubject: hand extended waiting for a shake [C]   hand extended waiting for a shake [C] EmptyFri 18 Aug 2023 - 8:04

f2u-risen-by-rilvin-dciueshRookpaw

Cinderpaw was Perchstar’s newest, youngest apprentice. She was incredibly timid, though Rookpaw did not think it was obnoxious. They had acknowledged her in passing, or on the rare few occasions where Perchstar had taken both of them (or all three of them, with Lavenderpaw distantly in mind) for training together. But they had never really talked before. Cinderpaw was not terribly outgoing, and, as with many things, Rookpaw was content to just observe.

Until it got back to him that Larkpaw had spoken with her-- and she had been kind to him. Rookpaw did not think their Clanmates were intentionally harsh with their brother, but they did not know how to talk to him and did not care to learn. They hated seeing how it frustrated him. Hearing she had been an exception intrigued them immediately, and they set themself to actually speaking with her.

It was later in the evening, fiery orange taking over the blue sky. The hottest hour of the day had just burned off, and the air was slowly starting to cool. The afternoon bitterness that became routine as they grew not-quite accustomed to green-leaf’s heat shed from their demeanor, Rookpaw gathered themself and approached where they saw her across camp. “Cinderpaw.” They dipped their head once, looking her over briefly before setting their gaze squarely on hers. “I have decided I will get to know you. I am- not good at that. But. I have made the decision.”

What if the steps I make turn out to be mistakes? How can someone like me learn to say, “Come what may?”Art credit

FishRogue
T2 Rogue
#2F8A7B
SilverhawkShadowClan
T3 Warrior
#845D56
RowansongRiverClan
T5 Elder
#68228B
RookflightRiverClan
T4 Warrior
#6082B6
PigeonpounceRiverClan
T2 Warrior
#20AED4
TwilightkitRiverClan
Kit
#5B31AD
[not pictured]

Art by Xaandiir!
Back to top Go down
moonazyne

moonazyne

Characters : [C]indersky, [W]olfpaw
Clan/Rank : RiverClan, T3 Warrior| ShadowClan, Apprentice
Aries Monkey
Number of posts : 330

PostSubject: Re: hand extended waiting for a shake [C]   hand extended waiting for a shake [C] EmptyTue 29 Aug 2023 - 9:09

Cinderpaw, RiverClan

Cinderpaw had been doing... something... at that point in time. She wasn't sure what it was exactly, but she had found a rogue sliver of moss and was busy prodding and poking it with one extended claw. She was certainly surprised when Rookpaw approached her, and almost didn't recognise them at first. It took a second for that to click with her, and when it did, she greeted them with a gentle smile.

"Hi, Rookpaw," She greeted, her ears angled down, if only slight. Their presence didn't make her nervous, but it was more so the new one-on-one interaction, and the worry that she might upset them by accident. She didn't want to do that like she did with Larkpaw when they first met, that rocky bit of conversation until they found some kind of common ground to settle on.

"If a decision has been made, then who am I to say no?" She purred, batting away that small piece of moss and tilting herself to face them more directly. She tapped the ground beside her with her tail to invite them to sit. The way they stood staring at her while standing made her a bit uneasy. "I'm probably not very good at it either, uhm... Is there anything you'd like to know, specifically? Or will we just... Try to start a conversation and see where we end up?"

Cindersky  | Daytrader |  Wolfpaw

"sed non obligant."
Back to top Go down
downfive
Former Staff
Former Staff
downfive

Characters : [R]owansong [Ro]okflight [S]ilverhawk [P]igeonpouce [F]ish [T]wilightkit
Clan/Rank : [R] RiverClan T5 Elder [Ro] RiverClan T4 Warrior [S] ShadowClan T3 Warrior [P] T2 RiverClan Warrior [F] T2 Rogue [T] RiverClan Kit
Pisces Horse

PostSubject: Re: hand extended waiting for a shake [C]   hand extended waiting for a shake [C] EmptyThu 31 Aug 2023 - 6:44

The faintest hint of a smile twitched at the corners of Rookpaw’s maw. They watched the slivered mossball roll away before, dragged their attention to the side to watch her tail tap the ground, then moved their unblinking gaze up to meet her bright blue eyes. They nodded once in acknowledgment of their allowed presence and drew themself to sit, neat and poised. “It is appreciated.”

He considered for a moment, tail waving slowly over the sand, then said, “Nothing in particular. We will see where we end. Although, I have heard you spoke to Larkpaw.” Rookpaw pulled himself even straighter, ears turned forward and whiskers twitching slightly. Something close to excitement lit his dull yellow eyes. “Many of our Clanmates are too stubborn or too sensitive to offer him proper guidance. You may be the first to have exercised patience with him.” Rookpaw sighed and shook his head. “I had wanted to express gratitude for that. You will be a good friend to him, should you continue allowing him the space to learn.

“That is what brought you to my attention. I would simply like to know the cat my twin speaks of in good favor.”
Their attention had wandered as they spoke, but Rookpaw turned around to blink at Cinderpaw again. They looked her over for a moment before saying, “I loathe small talk. I do not particularly care to ask how your training is going or your opinion on the weather, though you are free to share either. I will not rebuff the information should you choose to provide it, though I will not seek it. Tell me something interesting, Cinderpaw. Of yourself, of the world-- I do not care. But tell me something interesting.”

What if the steps I make turn out to be mistakes? How can someone like me learn to say, “Come what may?”Art credit

FishRogue
T2 Rogue
#2F8A7B
SilverhawkShadowClan
T3 Warrior
#845D56
RowansongRiverClan
T5 Elder
#68228B
RookflightRiverClan
T4 Warrior
#6082B6
PigeonpounceRiverClan
T2 Warrior
#20AED4
TwilightkitRiverClan
Kit
#5B31AD
[not pictured]

Art by Xaandiir!
Back to top Go down
moonazyne

moonazyne

Aries Monkey

PostSubject: Re: hand extended waiting for a shake [C]   hand extended waiting for a shake [C] EmptyThu 31 Aug 2023 - 15:06

Cinderpaw, RiverClan

Cinderpaw was quiet surprised by Rookpaw's motivations to speak with her, and that showed on her face. She blinked at them a couple of times, her slightly parted mouth growing only more agape until they finished their explanation with their announcement of gratitude.

"I-I'm sorry," She stammered, taking a breath before continuing. "Why... Why are you thanking me? Why wouldn't I be patient? Larkpaw isnt a bad cat. He just talks a little different, has different opinions. He deserves a friend and time just like everyone else." She was genuinely perplexed by this. Why wouldn't their clanmates show him the same friendliness she did? They were friendly with her, and she had seen them be friendly with everyone else. Everyone spoke different, too. Why were they different about Larkpaw? He wasn't bad. She didn't like that. "I feel like this is where I'm meant to thank you for your gratitude-- But I kind of don't want to because, uhm... I didn't do anything special. I'm glad he was happy after we spoke, though."

Hmm. No small-talk, and something interesting. That's difficult. Maybe she found something interesting but Rookpaw found it boring. Or maybe something boring to her would be interesting to them? Her ears turned back, hovering above her head, and she hummed quietly as she thought. Then, she let out an "Ah!" and shuffled on her paws excitedly.

"I found out yesterday, on a patrol, that worms can become hard and flat. Like... Like a sad leaf. You know how they're usually all squishy and wet and horrible, usually in the mud? This one... This one was on a rock, in the sun. I don't know how it got there, but it must've been there for too long because it had turned as flat as a leaf and was stuck to it," As if lost in her train of thought, she hummed again and angled her head upwards, squinting as she thought before looking back down at her most unfortunate conversation companion who now had to deal with this uncanny observation. "Do you think it knew that would happen? Or maybe it just wanted to spend a day in the sun and then got stuck. Maybe it was its plan all along. Or maybe it had no idea. I don't know which option is more bleh."

"sed non obligant."
Back to top Go down
downfive
Former Staff
Former Staff
downfive

Pisces Horse

PostSubject: Re: hand extended waiting for a shake [C]   hand extended waiting for a shake [C] EmptySun 3 Sep 2023 - 9:28

Rookpaw's surprise didn't show as readily on their face as Cinderpaw's, though it betrayed itself with the subtle widening of their eyes and the further straightening of their posture. Her apology had caught them slightly off-guard, but it was what followed that gave them pause. Rookpaw's ears flipped forward and back with consideration until they laid flat, perpendicular with their head. They hadn't expecting their expression of gratitude to be so simply rebuffed, nor for the dismissal to come with words of understanding. Something warm ballooned in their chest because of it, and, a bit embarrassingly, the feeling left them stunned for a moment.  

"Well... yes," he started slowly, tipping his head to the side. "That is all true, but..." His quiet voice trailed away and he shook his head as if to reset himself. This should not be so confounding a conversation. Brief frustration made Rookpaw's tail flutter, but he pushed it aside from a sigh. "Many do not see past initial offense and thus express frustration sooner than tolerance. Would you be more accepting of my gratitude if it were for your acknowledgment of such traits, rather than your patience itself?" He looked to Cinderpaw again and blinked slowly at her. "I suppose you do not... have to accept it. But it is meaningful to me. And so I wanted to make my appreciation known."

They watch her deliberation over their prompt, whiskers twitching at her sound of decision. Rookpaw sat quietly through her chatter, nodding easily along. They followed her gaze up when she paused to think, looking down again in parallel to blink back at her. "Yes. I have seen dry worms before. I sympathize-- I think --with them." They said. Rookpaw stared at Cinderpaw for a moment stretching toward uncomfortably long before deciding, "I do not believe the worm knew of its fate. They are mindless and seek only... I do not know what worms seek. But I do not believe worms are intelligent enough to understand such concepts as fate and mortality." Rookpaw hummed softly and looked down at their forepaws shuffling through the sand. "Or perhaps I am wrong. Worms thrive where the earth is wet. It would know that at least. Why, then, venture to the dry stones..." After looking puzzled for a beat, Rookpaw just shook their head and nodded to Cinderpaw. "That is a good question."

FishRogue
T2 Rogue
#2F8A7B
SilverhawkShadowClan
T3 Warrior
#845D56
RowansongRiverClan
T5 Elder
#68228B
RookflightRiverClan
T4 Warrior
#6082B6
PigeonpounceRiverClan
T2 Warrior
#20AED4
TwilightkitRiverClan
Kit
#5B31AD
[not pictured]

Art by Xaandiir!
Back to top Go down
moonazyne

moonazyne

Aries Monkey

PostSubject: Re: hand extended waiting for a shake [C]   hand extended waiting for a shake [C] EmptySun 3 Sep 2023 - 16:34

Cinderpaw, RiverClan

Cinderpaw did not expect her denial to perplex them so much, but nevertheless, she waited as they regained their train of thought. A little smile wriggled onto her face as he reworked their expression of gratitude, and she nodded her head. "If it is for my traits, then I will. I just don't want to be thanked for something your brother deserves," She said softly. "But thank you. And in case you or Larkpaw ever need someone to shadow, you'll always have a friend in me. Just to be yourselves, too! I don't want you to have to pretend."

Thus came Rookpaws analysis of the Worm Conundrum. Their thought process ran thoroughly through everything they knew about worms, and even as Rookpaw stared and made their final inputs, she kept their gaze and occasionally nodded as though to spur them on. A conversation between intellectuals-- But the fact that they did not immediately dismiss her topic choice made her paws feel light and heart thump giddily as though she had narrowly won a race.

"Maybe they're curious, or maybe they're exploring," She purred, leaning her head slightly closer as though a physical indication of her dedication to the conversation. "Maybe they have a family system in the dirt, and need to find a bigger place to live. Maybe that's why they went onto the rock-- To look around for a new home. And then they... Never made it back. Oh," Her ears swung back. "That's sad."

Back to top Go down
downfive
Former Staff
Former Staff
downfive

Pisces Horse

PostSubject: Re: hand extended waiting for a shake [C]   hand extended waiting for a shake [C] EmptyMon 4 Sep 2023 - 14:45

Cinderpaw met them with a nod, and Rookpaw mirrored the gesture. A tension they hadn't been aware of, light and coiled through their spine, released with her agreement. "Thank you," they said softly, bobbing their head a second time for emphasis. Surprise flickered through their eyes again at the suggestion she was their friend, despite the brevity of their interaction. Rookpaw's thoughts drifted to a conversation seasons away. I think being friends is a choice... If they accept it then you decide to keep spending time with them, and being there for them, and if they feel the same way they’ll be there for you too.

There was a momentary pang in their chest that made their gaze wander, searching for Sunpaw out of habit, before returning to the apprentice beside them. "I will keep that in mind. ...Should you feel it necessary, I will say you do not have to pretend, either." Rookpaw's passing smile returned, this time settling with persistence on their features. The faintest upturn of the corners of their maw, but present; warm; genuine. To smile felt strange when the expression lingered, unfamiliar and odd. But... it felt like a good thing.

Rookpaw tipped their head closer as well, joining Cinderpaw in consideration. "I do not believe they would seek shelter there though. While not intelligent, they must have instinct to drive them. There is no sustainable shelter for them on stone. It would be more reasonable to assume it had only been exploring, if that is an impulse worms possess. Or to think it had gotten lost..." His voice drifted. Their chest squeezed again, over something as silly as worms. Rookpaw was quiet for a moment before agreeing, "It is sad. Perhaps they have family to miss them. I suppose we cannot know."

It had been... it had been moons since they'd worried over the appearance of their father, but the thought came to him now. His ears flattened against the memory, but he shook himself out with a soft huff. He'd grown to fear the return of those thoughts, afraid they would leave him to rot in his nest for weeks again. It was not a risk he wanted to afford. But quietly, with no fanfare to signal the shift in their perspective, he'd moved on. He had been doing... well. It was not without difficulty, but apprenticeship had been easier than they'd expected. Apparently, he was making friends, something he'd never thought himself capable of beyond the one he'd already had.

Such strange things, growth and change were.

"But it does not have to be sad," he said, words slow and pensive. "Or at least, it does not have to be sad forever. Perhaps another stone, another sunrise, but the worm would have found its time eventually... it is unavoidable. It may be the worm had lived a good life before that moment, whatever that may mean to it. Perhaps its hypothetical family does not even grieve it, for lack of understanding or for acceptance." The wrapped thoughts of Sunpaw and their father expanded to gather Perchstar into the fold. Rookpaw sat a little straight, voice even again to add, "Maybe its loss only creates space for something new to take form."

FishRogue
T2 Rogue
#2F8A7B
SilverhawkShadowClan
T3 Warrior
#845D56
RowansongRiverClan
T5 Elder
#68228B
RookflightRiverClan
T4 Warrior
#6082B6
PigeonpounceRiverClan
T2 Warrior
#20AED4
TwilightkitRiverClan
Kit
#5B31AD
[not pictured]

Art by Xaandiir!
Back to top Go down
moonazyne

moonazyne

Aries Monkey

PostSubject: Re: hand extended waiting for a shake [C]   hand extended waiting for a shake [C] EmptyWed 6 Sep 2023 - 16:17

Cinderpaw, RiverClan

Rookpaw's smile was contagious. Yet the difference between them was that Cinderpaw's smile was much, much wider. She couldn't hide it even if she wanted to, even when it faltered when she realised how sad the worm situation could be. She just kept smiling. Maybe, in her mind, if she smiled when someone was sad, they could smile too.

"I hope they did have someone to miss them," She hummed. "As sad and sore as missing someone is... I think that's just love with nowhere to go. They'll never be forgotten, that way. Maybe it isn't other worms that will miss it. Maybe the dirt it lived in will, in a... Not-living sort of way. Does that make sense?" She huffed and shook her head. "It made more sense in my head."

She faltered again then when she noticed their change in demeanor. The way their ears went down, that unmistakeable distant look when someone was reminded of something else. Her heart clenched, and for a second panic set in that she had said something wrong and made them upset. She didn't want to do that. Yet the second she opened her mouth and an apology started on her tongue, they came to themselves again. Her heart still fluttered with that residual worry, but maybe it wasn't a good time to ask about it-- maybe never was a good time. She was just glad they pulled back.

"I guess it's similar to when a season ends. The Moon turns and then the weather gets colder, and you think that's that for you. The plants die, but then when Greenleaf comes again new plants grow where the old ones were," She said. "It's like... Your nest, too. You grow out of your old one for a bigger, better one. But you still miss the old one, even though its time is done. It served its purpose in your life, and then you move on to the next step."

She looked at Rookpaw sheepishly, and with a half-crooked smile said; "I'm sorry. I think my interesting topic became, uhm...-- became a little bit... Too... What's the word for it... Deep? Much? We can talk about something else if you want to."

"sed non obligant."
Back to top Go down
downfive
Former Staff
Former Staff
downfive

Pisces Horse

PostSubject: Re: hand extended waiting for a shake [C]   hand extended waiting for a shake [C] EmptyWed 4 Oct 2023 - 17:16

That wistfulness came to them again the longer Cinderpaw spoke. Their chest felt painfully full, but the aching... it wasn't welcome. It did not feel bad, however much it hurt. It was a relief they hadn't known they were searching for. Rookpaw let her talk herself out, offering silence even through the brief quiet that passed when both their demeanors faltered, before they gathered themself to walk through everything she'd said. They sat and stared for several moments, tail restlessly flicking against their forelegs, before nodding once. "Yes. That makes sense. I think that is a good way of thinking." They began slowly. "As love with nowhere to go. I have never considered that before. I... do not know what love feels like. Maybe that is why it never came to me." Rookpaw ducked their head, watching their twitching tail-tip for a beat. "But it is an easier sound than grief. Perhaps I will adopt your perspective."

Shaking his head, he looked back up and continued, "It amuses me you use the nest comparison. I held Larkpaw in the nursery terribly because I was so afraid of... I do not know. Moving forward. Change. They are foolish fears... though they still frighten me." Rookpaw sighed quietly and closed his eyes. He had been so determined not to give up on his father, so desperate to believe he would miraculously return to their lives. He'd fallen ill over it, confined frequently to his nest with no energy to move; and he'd come close to that state again, with the rift sewn between himself and Sunpaw, but the consistent work of apprenticeship kept him too busy to wallow.

The bridge of his muzzle furrowed, just barely, and Rookpaw squeezed his eyes shut a little tighter. Had they given up on everything they failed to think about, failed to worry about? The concern reared with barely enough time to process it. They could not address that fear with Cinderpaw's words still hanging in the air. Had it been giving up, or was it just following earth's lead? Only the natural course to their grief, more natural than chaining themself to the despairs of leaf-bare. Moving on to the next step.

With another step, similar to the last, waiting on their current horizon.

Rookpaw gave themself a full body shake and refocused on Cinderpaw. "Do not apologize." They said firmly. "I am enjoying your insights. You have given me much to consider of myself." Ear flicking, they tilted their head and looked her over once. "You have not spoken much, the few times we have gone patrolling together. You seem rather skittish. But you are quite wise. You would have valuable contributions to the conversations you chose to join."

FishRogue
T2 Rogue
#2F8A7B
SilverhawkShadowClan
T3 Warrior
#845D56
RowansongRiverClan
T5 Elder
#68228B
RookflightRiverClan
T4 Warrior
#6082B6
PigeonpounceRiverClan
T2 Warrior
#20AED4
TwilightkitRiverClan
Kit
#5B31AD
[not pictured]

Art by Xaandiir!
Back to top Go down
moonazyne

moonazyne

Aries Monkey

PostSubject: Re: hand extended waiting for a shake [C]   hand extended waiting for a shake [C] EmptyFri 13 Oct 2023 - 6:05

Cinderpaw, RiverClan

Their statement surprised her. Rookpaw did not know what love felt like? That couldn't be true. Everyone knew love in one way or another, right..? She followed their eyes wherever they cast them, down or to the side. She felt terribly hearing the uncertainty to their tone about it all. In the brief silence, she spoke.

"But you do know love," She said quietly. "You just said it. When you clung to your brother. When you held on to your current situation. You loved and did not want to let go and then..." She hummed, thinking back on her and her late-fathers words whenever she had had a.. rough patch. "Love takes many forms and looks and feels different to everyone. You decide what it is for yourself."

And change. Change was terrifying enough-- she knew that all too well. It could be good, too. Maybe. She was scared to change from kithood to apprenticeship, but when she did she realised she liked it so much more. She had made friends, and..- Rookpaw would be her friend now if they wanted to. Larkpaw, too. And she got along with Lavenderpaw and Bubblepaw-- "It's not a foolish fear. Nobody knows what'll happen tomorrow, do they? That's scary. You can't prepare for it."

And as much a comforting paw as she offered, as much as she felt like she didn't believe her own words sometimes but hoped that they did-- They thought she was wise. It was hard for her to keep the surprise off of her face, the slack of her jaw and the way her blue eyes became saucers. "You think I'm--" The last word didn't roll off her tongue but hung in the air, and her slack jaw quickly moulded into that of a wide smile. "I never spoke because-- Well--... I don't want to annoy anyone, and sometimes I don't know what people want to be said to them... But if you don't mind me talking, then I will definitely do it more."

"sed non obligant."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: hand extended waiting for a shake [C]   hand extended waiting for a shake [C] Empty

Back to top Go down

hand extended waiting for a shake [C]
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Warrior Clan Cats :: Areas of the Forest :: RiverClan Camp-
Jump to: