Warrior Clan Cats

The future's in your paws. Shape it well.

Roleplay in a cat Clan of warriors. Based off the Warriors series by Erin Hunter. Takes place in an AU before the cats in the books existed.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome to WCC! Here are our latest announcements:
Activity checks take place on the 1st of the month. PM a staff member with the completed form if you missed it.
Newleaf is finally here, and the Clans hope to find reprieve from the tough Leaf-bare.
Gatherings take place on the 1st of the month; keep your eyes out for a staff member's post!
Please feel free to hit up any staff member if you have any questions!

It Whispers on a Song [solo]

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Chickenwing

Chickenwing

Characters : Flamethrower
Clan/Rank : Rogue [T1]
Sagittarius Snake
Number of posts : 1215

It Whispers on a Song [solo] Empty
PostSubject: It Whispers on a Song [solo]   It Whispers on a Song [solo] EmptyTue 23 Mar 2021 - 1:39

Sunlight crept through the entrance of the medicine den, seeping softly between glowing fern fronds and shining an ethereal green light onto the ground that dappled at Minkstream's paws.

Aches rose and fell in rippling waves with each breath he took and every movement he made, but a smile still pulled at the edge of his maw as he turned his gaze from the incandescent light shifting gently with a light breath of wind that brought the scents of growing things to his tongue, and glanced at the form of his mate beside him, her black, fluffy pelt already starting to regain its glossy health. No more did the scent of death reek in the air, curling insidiously into his nostrils every waking moment, or his head pound with a raging fever - though he could still feel an ache there, like he could in more than a few other places on his body.

"We will live again."

He closed his eyes, reveling in the warmth of sunhigh - still with a New-leaf chill to it, but far better than the bitter cold of before - and Batbite beside him. You were right, Bat. There was such a lightness to it - it almost made his head spin, though it regularly did that anyway at the moment. But somehow... everything was just... lighter. Freedom. He could imagine the buds unfurling in remembrance of the one who'd led the charge to it, grateful for the tom's sacrifice freeing them from the clutching ice. Bittersweet, but it had never been better.

A sound broke through the gentle buzz of Clan life outside the den, fur scuffing lightly against a fern frond, and he opened his eyes to spot a familiar silver-and-russet tabby pelt slipping in. Speaking of Beecloud.... The big tom's former apprentice, their daughter, caught his gaze, her unconsciously prowling pawsteps relaxing as she saw he was awake, her head and tail lifting. "Da'! 'ou're awa'e."

"Hey, Liri." His own eyes quickly went to the mouse and shrew dangling from her jaws, a pang of hunger rumbling softly inside him at the smell that wafted to his nose. "Is any of that for us?"

Her ears stiffened slightly, and she blinked as she set them down in front of him, throwing a quick glance at Batbite. "Yeah! I wasn't bringing them in to eat them in front of you. Mum's still sleeping?"

He carefully moved a paw out, making sure not to disturb his mate as he scooped the shrew towards himself. "Dozing, I think." One side of his maw curled up slightly, a glint of humour in his eyes as he added, "Don't worry, I won't touch hers."

Lirista hummed slightly distractedly at that, her eyes lingering on Bat's pelt for a moment as if waiting for her to wake up before coming back to him, the end of her tail twitching as she sat and tucked her paws underneath her. "I know."

He eyed her, letting his paw rest on the vole's body, the scent wafting up making his mouth water. "That was a joke, Liri. You're meant to say 'I sure hope you don't - otherwise I'm making sure only Mum gets any next time.'"

Her head ducked, a sheepish smile breaking out on her maw as her ears twisted slightly. "I know, I just- I, um... I'm not really in the mood for joking around." The smile on her face softened, her eyes running over something on the ground as her tail brushed around to her side, her voice dropping to a whisper. "It's just... too good to have you and Mum back."

The corner of his maw lilted up. "I know how you feel," He murmured, bending his head down and taking a bite of the shrew. The warm flavour burst on his tongue, tangy and fresh, and he glanced up at her, blinking. "Did you just catch these?"

Her eyes brightened, a hint of pride there as she straightened. "Yeah, we went out on patrol, and I caught these. I also got a squirrel, but that one went to the elders...." A hint of something like pain flickered over her face, and her gaze drifted away from his for a moment before coming back, the smile forcing itself back into place. "I thought you and Mum'd like something extra fresh."

"That's great, Liri," He purred, stretching forward and touching his nose to her forehead. "You're almost ready to become a warrior, 'paw. I'm proud of you."

She smiled, one of her ears twisting backwards to give it a hint of panicked uncertainty, and he gave a soft chuff of laughter, quickly moving the subject on. "Almost. Didn't say I'd run to Nettlestar's den and tell her right now." Something in the moment pricked at his memory, a shadow of something stirring at the back of his mind. "Speaking of warriors and apprentices... How's Dock doing? Haven't really seen the kit around."

Lirista froze, the smile on her face slipping off as if he'd just announced he was going to take up wearing fox pelts, her eyes staring at him in shock, searching his. He felt his own falter, a frown pulling at his maw. Wait, I... Dock? Actually... I haven't seen her in a... long time.... His thoughts skittered away even as Lirista opened her maw, stammering out, "D-Dock? Are you talking about Quaildock?"

He stared at her for a moment, a feeling like water slipping between his paws trickling down his spine. Shadows lingered on the edge of his mind, dancing away before he could grasp them, a vague urgency crawling through his pelt as he sought to track it down. Something shifted, and he shook his head slightly, the movement making him wince and bring a paw up to his head. Blood. Little scarlet drops scattered on the white fur there.

"D-Dad? Are you - are you okay?" Unease had slid beneath her voice, a tinge of concern that made the fur on the back of his neck prickle.

He took a deep breath, struggling through the whirl of cascading, mixed emotions and thoughts. "Yeah, I... I'm fine. That was what I meant. Daris. Dock... Dock isn't here anymore...." His bright-eyed daughter... Had she... had she died? He could remember. She...

She.........

His mind blanked, mixed images flicking through in confusing flashes. Pulsing in his ears, his heartbeat rose. Blood oozed at his paws, its scent rising up to choke him as he took a breath and held it for a moment. Stop.

"Should I get Daisybloom?"

There was outright fear in her voice now, and as he glanced up he could see she'd half-risen, her blue eyes wide as they stared down at him, and he felt Batbite shift slightly at his side, her breathing rhythm changing. He lowered his paw, heart thudding in his ears, and forced a smile out, shaking his head. "Hey, kit, I'm fine. Just... got a headache. It's fine."

He met her gaze, and from the way her ears twitched slightly he knew she could hear his heartbeat, still pounding a driving tempo in his head, but after a moment she hesitantly sat down again, her tail twitching agitatedly behind her. Forcing his breathing into an easy rhythm, he gave her a lop-sided smile, making sure his posture was as relaxed as he could make it. "Hey, don't look at me like that. It's just a little bit of dizziness - makes me all rock-brained for a bit."

Her eyes searched his whole face for a moment more, poised as if to leap up and get Daisybloom, but even as he watched she slowly relaxed, settling back with her paws tucked underneath her body again. Though this time it didn't look nearly so relaxed. "Okay... I guess that makes sense...."

He kept the smile on his face, glancing down at his paw and the little red specks. Droplets from the vole, the smell of its blood wafting up. Not from anything else. Just to keep the image of unconcern up, he took another bite, the taste distinctly less appetising than it had been before, his stomach still as if he'd just swallowed a rock. Deliberately, he moved the topic of conversation on, prompting her to talk and listening as she fell back into the rhythm, her tension easing. Murmuring quietly in the cozy space, the flow of talk gradually brought the warmth back into the day, the shadow receding as he pushed it back, and fading like mist to the green droplets of sunshine.

pics of me cats:

In order from left to right
Jaculus | Flamethrower
Ded/Missing:
Swansong | Rift | Cleft Spyre | Sablepaw/Lirista | Minkstar | Murkpaw
Back to top Go down
https://www.deviantart.com/piiec

It Whispers on a Song [solo]
Page 1 of 1