Warrior Clan Cats

The future's in your paws. Shape it well.

Roleplay in a cat Clan of warriors. Based off the Warriors series by Erin Hunter. Takes place in an AU before the cats in the books existed.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome to WCC! Here are our latest announcements:
Activity checks take place on the 1st of the month. PM a staff member with the completed form if you missed it.
Newleaf is finally here, and the Clans hope to find reprieve from the tough Leaf-bare.
Gatherings take place on the 1st of the month; keep your eyes out for a staff member's post!
Please feel free to hit up any staff member if you have any questions!

The River is our Home [c]

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
lostfanboy

lostfanboy

Characters : Stormdance (S) Rainfrost (R) Sunpool (Su) Wrenpaw (W) Hawkmist (H)
Clan/Rank : Riverclan, Tier 5 Warrior (S) Skyclan, Tier 3 Warrior (R) Riverclan, Tier 2 Warrior (Su) Riverclan, Apprentice (W) Shadowclan, Tier 2 Warrior (H)
Sagittarius Dragon
Number of posts : 1017

The River is our Home [c] Empty
PostSubject: The River is our Home [c]   The River is our Home [c] EmptyThu Jul 21, 2022 12:12 pm

Stormdance

Stormdance leads Rowanpaw out of camp on an early morning, the greenleaf sun already bearing down on them and making Stormdance’s thick fur uncomfortably warm. Still, it was a nice day for training, which was good. He wanted Rowanpaw to have a nice time. Stormdance wanted to make sure to spend plenty of time one-on-one with both of his apprentices. He wanted to do right by them, and make sure that they had the best experience they could. He didn’t have much free time anymore, but that was alright. It was plenty worth it to see the excitement on Rowanpaw’s face.

“For today, we’re going to go down to the river. It’s the lifeblood of our clan, and it covers most of our territory and separates our borders, so I want you to get to know that part of our territory first.” Stormdance explained as he walked. “We can even practice some hunting while we’re there, if you would like.” He sent Rowanpaw a soft smile.

With that, Stormpaw began walking the now-familiar path down to the riverbank, keeping a steady pace but making sure that Rowanpaw wasn't falling behind. He kept a watchful eye and ear out for dangers, but mostly focused on the apprentice beside him. “Is there anything in particular you’re excited about becoming an apprentice?” He asked curiously, wanting to get to know Rowanpaw a little better.

#9999cc

Sunpool
RC Tier 2 Warrior
40HP/100SP
#de0404

Wrenpaw
RC Apprentice
20 HP/60SP
#1f6e55

Hawkmist
SC Tier 2 Warrior
40HP/100 SP
#7ba3a8

Rainfrost
SkC Tier 3 Warrior
50HP/120SP
#446fb3

My Cats!

Back to top Go down
downfive
Former Staff
Former Staff
downfive

Characters : [R]owansong [Ro]okflight [S]ilverhawk [P]igeonpouce [F]ish [T]wilightkit
Clan/Rank : [R] RiverClan T5 Elder [Ro] RiverClan T4 Warrior [S] ShadowClan T3 Warrior [P] T2 RiverClan Warrior [F] T2 Rogue [T] RiverClan Kit
Pisces Horse
Number of posts : 2483

PostSubject: Re: The River is our Home [c]   The River is our Home [c] EmptyThu Jul 21, 2022 7:41 pm

When Stormdance roused him from his new nest, Rowanpaw had put up a fit. A small one, by his standards– there was no shrill shouting, no sputtered curses apprentices shouldn't have even heard yet –but he huffed and puffed while blinking sleep from his eyes, and hissed to himself as he stomped out of the den. Did warriors always wake up this early? Was his mentor going to stay up every night just to wait for dawn, and drag him out of his nest flailing and screaming at first light every day? And stars, it didn't have to be so hot so early in the day. Already fussy, the apprentice padded out of camp on the warrior's heels, feathery tail dragging through the sand. Once they crossed into the territory though, his mood brightened in an instant; any of Stormdance's supposed wrongdoings were forgotten, and Rowanpaw jumped into a trot, hopping along at his mentor's shoulder.

He'd been waiting for this day a long time, getting to see what the world looked like beyond the wall of reeds that kept him from wandering too far, and green eyes glittered with excitement at the sight of it all. Instead of the soft sand he'd grown used to, the world beyond was covered in soft, damp grass, pleasantly cooling on his paws; with the gentle breeze, the rushes that marked their territory swayed, whistling and rattling against each other, a familiar sound somehow made more wondrous by the openness of their territory; in the distance, he could see the foggy shapes of trees, huddled together in a dark ring. And everything around them seemed to glow, lit golden by the morning light. The river, too, he could hear its chattering over stones, see its outline cutting through their fields. Warriors kept this from him as a kit why?

Oh, but Stormdance was still going– speaking, too, so Rowanpaw hurried along to listen. The river would be more than a babbling distant shape soon, it seemed; they were actually going down to it! The rushed mention of hunting made his ears flick. He was more interested in splashing about, teaching himself how to swim than learning how to hunt. It might have been necessary, but from what he'd heard, it was so boring. He was expected to just sit there and stare into the distance, waiting for fish to jump into his claws? As if! There were far better things to do with his time. Like...

When Stormdance asked him what he was most excited about, a bright and horribly mischevious grin split the apprentice's features. "Well, certainly not hunting," Rowanpaw answered levelly. They had reached the river– finally –and as they chatted, the ruddy tom wasted no time in skipping towards the water, sticking his forepaws gracelessly in the shallow end. It was shockingly cold, and he pulled back with a yelp, fur fluffed out and accusations waiting on his tongue. Gingerly stepping into the current again, he relaxed into the cooling tug of the water, kicking up water as he rounded on his mentor again. "Teach me to hunt if you'd like. For Mum's sake, I'll listen, though I'm none too interested in it. I have more exciting plans." The water tugged at his sweeping tail, and Rowanpaw looked almost ridiculous standing just off of the bank, water halfway up his legs and grinning like a fox. "I would like a goose, actually! Do you think you can find me a goose, Stormdance? I've seen their feathers before, in the nursery. I would like to pluck one and bring it back to Mum. I don't see any geese... but I don't know what they look like. In any case, I guess," Rowanpaw lifted a leg, wobbling slightly when the current tugged at his off-balance limbs, before bringing his raised paw down on the water's surface with a cracking splash, "you could say I'm excited about the river. Well, I wish you'd told me the water was so cold, but I'll forgive you for that. I can't go swimming in camp, so I'm sure this will be fun."
Back to top Go down
lostfanboy

lostfanboy

Clan/Rank : Riverclan, Tier 5 Warrior (S) Skyclan, Tier 3 Warrior (R) Riverclan, Tier 2 Warrior (Su) Riverclan, Apprentice (W) Shadowclan, Tier 2 Warrior (H)
Sagittarius Dragon

PostSubject: Re: The River is our Home [c]   The River is our Home [c] EmptySun Jul 24, 2022 6:16 am

Stormdance

The grin that had appeared on his apprentice's face really should’ve been Stormdance’s first warning sign. He was going to find a response to Rowanpaw’s thoughts on hunting when he just leapt right into the water. Stormdance’s brain completely screeched to a halt for a second as Rowanpaw spoke. And then he had a moment of panic, his mind providing an image of Rowanpaw getting swept away in the current that spurred him into action.

“Rowanpaw-!” He jumped easily into the water, standing taller than Rowanpaw did in it and being too distracted to mind the cold. He moved in front of his apprentice, ensuring that Rowanpaw didn’t go any deeper than he already was. Stormdance had to take a breath to reign in the spike of irritation that followed his panic, then said as levelly as he could manage, “Rowanpaw, please, exercise some caution. The river provides for us, but it can also be dangerous. Do you feel the current pulling at your legs? Even a full grown warrior can be swept away by that when the river is at its strongest. This is especially dangerous for an untrained apprentice who doesn’t even know how to swim yet.” He gave Rowanpaw a pointed look.

Then Stormdance took another deep breath, shivering as the cold water pulled at the thick fur of his belly. Looking at his apprentice again, he wryly wondered if perhaps Rowanpaw should’ve been named after a fox with that grin. He also briefly wondered how well his sanity would fare between Rowanpaw and Woolypaw. “I understand you’re excited,” He said, voice gentler and calmer now that he no longer felt that Rowanpaw was in any immediate danger. “And I’m happy to teach you how to swim. But I need you to listen to me and be careful.”

Then he paused, and registered Rowanpaw’s other words. “Geese..?” He mumbled, blinking. “I… do not recommend seeking out a goose, they can be dangerous and hard to deal with unless you have a full patrol of warriors available. But we can keep an eye out for geese feathers. There’s usually all kinds of things along the river shore. I’m sure we could find a feather or two to bring back to Poppyshine.”

#9999cc

Sunpool
RC Tier 2 Warrior
40HP/100SP
#de0404

Wrenpaw
RC Apprentice
20 HP/60SP
#1f6e55

Hawkmist
SC Tier 2 Warrior
40HP/100 SP
#7ba3a8

Rainfrost
SkC Tier 3 Warrior
50HP/120SP
#446fb3

My Cats!

Back to top Go down
downfive
Former Staff
Former Staff
downfive

Characters : [R]owansong [Ro]okflight [S]ilverhawk [P]igeonpouce [F]ish [T]wilightkit
Clan/Rank : [R] RiverClan T5 Elder [Ro] RiverClan T4 Warrior [S] ShadowClan T3 Warrior [P] T2 RiverClan Warrior [F] T2 Rogue [T] RiverClan Kit
Pisces Horse
Number of posts : 2483

PostSubject: Re: The River is our Home [c]   The River is our Home [c] EmptyWed Jul 27, 2022 10:41 am

Rowanpaw waited patiently to speak. Though he was quiet, his mood soured in an instant; the earlier irritation at being pulled from his sleep welled, and his tail bristled in response to it. But he'd wait. When his mentor sprang into the water shouting his name, Rowanpaw recoiled with a frustrated curl of his lip, but he'd stayed quiet. When Stormdance went on to lecture him about safety, he gave the rushing water as long a look of mock consideration as he could, but he stayed quiet. Even the softening of Stormdance's voice made him bristle, gentle tone forcing the apprentice's hackles on end. What did the darker-furred tom think to gain, talking to him like that? But Rowanpaw bit against his tongue, holding onto his vow of silence, even though the splash of his tail waving through the current gave him away. It wasn't until they circled back around to the mention of geese that his eyes narrowed, ears pinned low.

"You're no fun, Stormdance." He said it with a spit, smacking a paw against the water's surface– and smiling again when it splashed against his mentor's chest. Then he went wading off, kicking his way back towards the bank. "I am not a kit, and I am perfectly capable of swimming just fine. I didn't notice myself getting swept away, unless being a warrior makes you so keen you might predict the future." The ruddy tom snorted as he climbed ashore, raising a hind leg to shake off the clinging water. He had no interest in swimming if it was going to be so... sheltered. What was so bad about him standing in the shallows? What made him a RiverClan cat at all if he couldn't figure out how to swim? Swimming was in his blood. And he was an apprentice now! Only just, but he was big enough to look after himself. Poppyshine must have thought so, or he wouldn't be standing here. What did Stormdance's fretfulness have to do with him?

And oh, stars, the goose. That had burned him. "Also, you're silly for thinking I want any rat-touched feather we might find hiding in the reeds. I want Mum's feather to be special. I will take a goose, or I will take nothing." And that was that. Did the dark tabby think he could be swayed by that? Why go through the effort of giving Poppyshine a feather, if there were a pawful more scattered all across the territory? No, it would have to be special. From a special bird. "Honestly. Next I'll ask Mum to line her nest with sand." He hadn't meant to speak that, but he made no attempt at hiding it once the words were out, either.

With that and a painfully exaggerated huff, Rowanpaw turned his back on his mentor to stare into the light-touched distance of their territory. He was confident that he looked stoic and aloof, that Stormdance would crawl out of the river and apologize. Yet despite his own words, he looked little more than a kit: head bowed and shoulders stiff, hunched, a loose forepaw dragging absently through the mud while his tail stirred the silt behind him. Pouting. Under his breath, he muttered, "Perhaps if you grab me by the scruff and throw me into the current, you'll see that I am capable on my own. I do believe I know how to move my legs."
Back to top Go down
lostfanboy

lostfanboy

Sagittarius Dragon

PostSubject: Re: The River is our Home [c]   The River is our Home [c] EmptySat Jul 30, 2022 9:43 am

Stormdance

Stormdance waited, patiently, while Rowanpaw ranted. He exited the water himself, shaking the droplets from his fur before settling down in the sand. He watched Rowanpaw with an impassive gaze, though internally he was a little surprised by the apprentice's reaction. He wouldn’t have ever spoken to a warrior like that at Rowanpaw’s age, but he supposed every cat was different. Still. It was rather aggravating when all he was doing was trying to keep the young cat safe, and he knew there were plenty of warriors out there who wouldn’t put up with such behavior from a brand-new apprentice. Or anyone, really. Rowanpaw would need to learn to reign in that temper if he was going to make it as a warrior.

“Are you done?” He asked softly when Rowanpaw finished. “Rowanpaw, need I remind you that you were made an apprentice very recently? You may be larger, but size and strength does not compare to experience. You have no idea what you’re doing, and frankly, it shows. You’re right, you’re not a kit. If you would like to act like one, rather than holding yourself as an apprentice, I suppose you can go back to the nursery.”

Stormdance let that sit for a moment, then got to his feet and walked closer. “I understand that you’re frustrated.” He said. “And I appreciate your enthusiasm. However, it is my job as your mentor to keep you safe as well as teach you. Sometimes that won’t be fun, or glamorous, and I will inevitably be annoying. I'm sure we both would rather you be annoyed than hurt.”

“I’m not doubting your capabilities, Rowanpaw. I know that you are strong and capable. But you are also inexperienced. A good warrior is one who recognizes their limitations. And respects those with more experience than them.” Stormdance’s impassive expression broke as he gave Rowanpaw a more pointed, withering look. “Do you think Poppyshine would be pleased to see you acting like this?”

#9999cc

Sunpool
RC Tier 2 Warrior
40HP/100SP
#de0404

Wrenpaw
RC Apprentice
20 HP/60SP
#1f6e55

Hawkmist
SC Tier 2 Warrior
40HP/100 SP