Warrior Clan Cats

The future's in your paws. Shape it well.

Roleplay in a cat Clan of warriors. Based off the Warriors series by Erin Hunter. Takes place in an AU before the cats in the books existed.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome to WCC! Here are our latest announcements:
Activity checks take place on the 1st of the month. PM a staff member with the completed form if you missed it.
Newleaf is finally here, and the Clans hope to find reprieve from the tough Leaf-bare.
Gatherings take place on the 1st of the month; keep your eyes out for a staff member's post!
Please feel free to hit up any staff member if you have any questions!

Bearpaw's Medicine Cat Ceremony

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
JJ
Former Staff
Former Staff
JJ

Scorpio Monkey
Number of posts : 1835

Bearpaw's Medicine Cat Ceremony Empty
PostSubject: Bearpaw's Medicine Cat Ceremony   Bearpaw's Medicine Cat Ceremony EmptyThu Jan 11, 2024 6:53 pm

There was no Moonstone here, and the puddle that she'd been using to speak with StarClan was now dried up and hidden beneath a layer of fresh snow, but Smokepetal knew that StarClan was with them. They'd proven that - in guiding the clans here in the first place, in continuing to appear for apprentices to speak to despite the lack of a conduit... and as she gazed towards the sky, the bright moon reflecting back in gray-green eyes, Smokepetal knew they would be here for this, too.

But, still... the medicine cat didn't want to hold this ceremony here, in camp, even if it may have worked. Her apprentices had already been robbed of the same experiences she'd had - visiting the Moonstone to become an official medicine cat apprentice, learning where the best herbs were in SkyClan's territory, getting to be a (mostly) carefree young cat... the famine, this sickness, had stolen that from them. Smokepetal didn't want any of that to steal the magic from this, too. So she'd find a way to make it.

"Are you ready, Bearpaw?"
Smokepetal turned to look at him, her gaze softening with affection. She'd grown to quite like the tom, and even though she remembered his initial reluctance, Bearpaw had grown into a fine young cat... and he'd be a great medicine cat, too. "Come along, now."

Together, they left SkyClan's camp.
Back to top Go down
GravisCordis

GravisCordis

Characters : [N]ectarflower ; [H]emlockfox ; [W]iggleworm ; [F]irepaw ; [S]piderkit
Clan/Rank : [N] T5 WC Warrior ; [H] T2 WC MC ; [W] T2 TC Warrior ; [F] SkC Apprentice ; [S] SC Kit
Number of posts : 686

PostSubject: Re: Bearpaw's Medicine Cat Ceremony   Bearpaw's Medicine Cat Ceremony EmptyFri Jan 12, 2024 11:40 am

Bearpaw

Bearpaw shivered as the cold air penetrated his thick coat and shook his pelt out to rid himself of the snow that had accumulated over his back. His pelt was thick and did a lot to keep him warm, but he wasn't a very big fan of leafbare. The prickle of cold was much better than the stifling heat of greenleaf, but leaffall and newleaf were perfect in the young tom's opinion. Why couldn't they live some place where it was always neither warm nor cool - somewhere just right? With a yawn, Bearpaw let his head fall into the snow-laden ground, his cheek pressed into icy crystals. 

Between the illness that gripped Skyclan like a vice and the extra training Sunfire had him doing, Bearpaw was utterly exhausted. Many of their most ill had been given a concoction of herbs to ease the worst of their symptoms and though he wasn't entirely sure, they should make a full recovery soon enough. That, at least, was one thing off of his back. Though, Bearpaw had a feeling that he wouldn't be given much longer to rest. If it was as Dovefrost had told him, he would be on the way to Windclan before long - the idea made his shoulders tense with a mixture of anger and helplessness. He wasn't ready to leave Skyclan.

Smokepetal's voice broke through the hazy cloud of sleep that threatened to take Bearpaw away, and he lifted his head to peer up at the she-cat. Ready? Oh, right, he'd nearly forgotten in all of the bustle that his ceremony was tonight. The brown and white tom nodded before getting to his paws with a low grunt, expression drawn. Since becoming a medicine cat apprentice, Smokepetal had proved herself to be much more than he'd initially expected of her. She may not have brute strength like Sunfire or his indominable presence, but Bearpaw was learning that there was more to life than just brawn or indimidating words.

Sneezing to clear his nose of snow, Bearpaw padded after Smokepetal, his tail twitching uncertainly. It may not be the life he expected or even the one he chose, but he would make the most of it somehow - that, he was sure of. Still...a small part of him hoped there was a way to stay with his family. A way to change Starclan's mind.

Back to top Go down
JJ
Former Staff
Former Staff
JJ

Scorpio Monkey

PostSubject: Re: Bearpaw's Medicine Cat Ceremony   Bearpaw's Medicine Cat Ceremony EmptySun Jan 14, 2024 4:23 pm

Their journey was not terribly long. Through the snow, Smokepetal led Bearpaw south from camp and towards a meadow she'd found half a moon ago. Here, a massive tree had fallen, ripped from the earth by the wind, or age, perhaps, long before the clans had set paw in this territory. She'd explored it previously, curious to know if any herbs could be found growing in the shelter of the fallen boughs, but instead of herbs, she'd found a hole in the ground where the roots had once been, large enough to fit two or three cats comfortably.

It would be a poor den in permanence - which is why it was vacant, she imagined - but for this? It was perfect. "In here," she said to Bearpaw, leading him beneath the tangle of thick, exposed roots and into the shelter. Snow had managed to blow in through a few of the holes above them, but most of it was clear,  and more importantly, significantly warmer than outside.

"At least we won't freeze in here,"
she breathed, curling her tail around her paws and shivering slightly as her body adjusted to the warmer space. She looked at Bearpaw, voice soft when she spoke again. "I'm proud of you, Bearpaw. I know this isn't what you expected... or what you wanted, but... you've done well." She would be the first to admit that at first, she thought she'd made some sort of mistake in interpreting the dream she had. But through and through, the tom had proven steadfast and willing to learn, even if it seemed begrudging at first.

"You know... I was a warrior, before I was a medicine cat. I even had a different name." Smokepetal said to him. "There was a time in my life where I didn't know what I was supposed to do, where I was supposed to be. How I could make myself most worthwhile to the clan. I just want you to know, it's okay to feel those things, Bearpaw. But just know that in the end, I have the utmost of faith in you. You will be a great medicine cat."
Back to top Go down
GravisCordis

GravisCordis

Characters : [N]ectarflower ; [H]emlockfox ; [W]iggleworm ; [F]irepaw ; [S]piderkit
Clan/Rank : [N] T5 WC Warrior ; [H] T2 WC MC ; [W] T2 TC Warrior ; [F] SkC Apprentice ; [S] SC Kit

PostSubject: Re: Bearpaw's Medicine Cat Ceremony   Bearpaw's Medicine Cat Ceremony EmptyMon Jan 15, 2024 1:34 am

Bearpaw

Despite the short walk and the thick layers of fur that wreathed his body, there was only so much he could do to fend off the bite of leafbare. Thankfully, finally being up and moving helped to warm him up a bit, but it was hardly anything compared to the shelter of Skyclan's temporary camp. Though, as more time passed, the word temporary hardly seemed befitting of it. There were kits being born now that had never even seen their home in the forest - it was sad, really. 

Finally, Smokepetal led them to an uprooted tree and Bearpaw worked to suppress a smile. She must have remembered his distaste with the spot she had selected for his apprentice ceremony and decided to make tonight more special. Oddly touched, Bearpaw maneuvered around the she-cat to peer into the dark hollow below. It was well protected by the swath of roots and as such, was mostly devoid of snow. Ducking between the knotted roots, the brown and white tom followed Smokepetal into the warm crater, a breath of relief blowing past his lips. "Well spotted." He meowed approvingly. It was much better than freezing, anyway.

Careful to keep his fur from snagging on the gnarled roots, Bearpaw slipped into the small space and settled across from Smokepetal, looking appraisingly around at the nook. All was quiet for a moment, but when Smokepetal went on, Bearpaw straightened his back, head snapping to look at her. Proud? Why was she proud of him? For memorizing some silly plants? He opened his jaws to object but snapped them shut before the words could tumble gracelessly out. Making sure to be mindful of his wording, Bearpaw dipped his head graciously. "I had a good mentor." He meowed eventually. Which was true - two good mentors, really. As he prepared to continue, Smokepetal's voice cut through the cool air, effortlessly grabbing his attention. 

She...had been a warrior once? Why would she ever give up a life of thrill just to play with leaves and tend to sickly kits? Confusion plain on his face, Bearpaw tipped his head to the side, jaw slack. "A warrior? Wha...you were- but..." He sputtered, uncertain. It wasn't often that Bearpaw was at a loss for words but choosing the simple life of a medicine cat seemed... well, preposterous. However, it didn't take long for the young tom to reel in his emotions, to lock them back up with little more than a frown on his face. 

It may be too late to change what Starclan had decided for him, but he could still make some cat proud of him. If not Sunfire - then Smokepetal. Fur prickling from the discomfort of her praise, Bearpaw diverted his gaze. Unsure of how to respond, he latched on to the one thing she said that stuck out. "Ahem...what was your name? Before you were a medicine cat?" Was that really something he could do? It did make sense, actually. He could too, then, like a snake shedding its skin, to slip from the comfort of his old name in favor of something new. What was 'Bearpaw' but a keepsake from a life no longer his?

Back to top Go down
JJ
Former Staff
Former Staff
JJ

Scorpio Monkey

PostSubject: Re: Bearpaw's Medicine Cat Ceremony   Bearpaw's Medicine Cat Ceremony EmptyMon Jan 15, 2024 8:02 pm

The confusion across Bearpaw's face drew a smile to Smokepetal's, and she dipped her head, nodding in confirmation. "It's true... Wolfblossom was my mentor, and I did warrior training just like you." Well, maybe not just like him, but close enough. "When I was named warrior, Birdstar called me Smokestep. And then, when I became a medicine cat in truth... like you're about to do now, Wolfblossom saw the change in me, how my name no longer reflected the cat I had become."

She flicked her tail across the ground, reminiscing that night, when she had finally gotten everything she'd ever wanted. Or... almost everything, at least. "If you feel like the cat you were when you were named Bearpaw is not the cat you are now..." she met his gaze warmly, trailing off into an obvious finishing statement.

"But that can wait, I imagine. After you speak with StarClan again, you may see it differently." Another smile, and then, "Shall we begin?"

Clearing her throat, Smokepetal recited the words that Wolfblossom had said to her so long ago. "I, Smokepetal, Medicine Cat of Skyclan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on this apprentice. He has trained hard to understand the ways of a medicine cat, and with your help, will serve his clan for many moons. Bearpaw, do you promise to uphold the ways of a medicine cat, to stand apart from rivalry between clan and clan and to protect all cats equally, even at the cost of your life?"
Back to top Go down
GravisCordis

GravisCordis

PostSubject: Re: Bearpaw's Medicine Cat Ceremony   Bearpaw's Medicine Cat Ceremony EmptyTue Jan 16, 2024 11:48 pm

Bearpaw

Bearpaw's brow rose at the relevation and he started at Smokepetal as though she'd sprouted wings and declared herself a bird queen. Wolfblossom had been her mentor? That only brought more questions to the surface. Wolfblossom was one of the most amazing warriors Skyclan had to offer - she was inspiring too. Though...if Smokepetal really had decided to follow this path despite Wolfblossom's teachings, it must have truly been calling to her. Even though his reason for abandoning the path of a warrior was different, he certainly wasn't the cat he used to be. Regardless of Sunfire's steadfast training...he could already feel his values shifting.

He lifted his chin as the she-cat continued, listening intently as she went on with the ceremony. She listed off the vows he had to make, and, despite the lingering hesitance, he nodded resolutely. This was the life Starclan had intended for him. "I do." It was no easy promise to make - surely even Smokepetal could tell. Throughout his life, Bearpaw had been known as the most bloodthirtsy, battle-ready of his littermates. He had fought several battles; he had killed foxes with his own fangs. That was not the kind of cat who healed and lived peacefuly, but he would try.

When Skyclan had been wronged, everything in him ached to strike down their foes. Even innocent clans who had not wronged them...like Thunderclan - he had gladly let feel the sting of his claws. Now, life would be different. He was to tend to the sick and injured. It was his fate, now, to put aside his past quarrels and treat every cat as though they were worthy of his compassion. He couldn't do that with the name he'd been born with. Sunfire would never approve, but he wasn't Bearpaw anymore. Maybe...maybe he never had been.

Lifting his tail to stop Smokepetal, the brown and white tom looked into her eyes, an icy fire lit behind his gaze. "But you're right - I'm not Bearpaw anymore." He dipped his head respectfully, before continuing. "If you would allow it, I would like to be Hemlockpaw. At least...for the next few moments." Hemlockpaw...it wouldn't be his name for long, within seconds, he would be given his full medicine cat name, but it would do for now.

Back to top Go down
JJ
Former Staff
Former Staff
JJ

Scorpio Monkey

PostSubject: Re: Bearpaw's Medicine Cat Ceremony   Bearpaw's Medicine Cat Ceremony EmptyWed Jan 17, 2024 12:36 am

Hemlockpaw. Smokepetal stared at the fluffy tom affectionately, and then nodded. It fit him. Hemlock was rarely used in medicine, but when it was, it was death... mercy. The worst decision any medicine cat could ever have to make, and yet the one requiring the most strength of mind. "Very well... Hemlockpaw. By the powers of StarClan, I give you your full name: Hemlockfox... for you are as steadfast as one and as cunning and fierce as the other."

She leaned forward to touch her nose to his forehead, a low purr rumbling in her chest. "May you serve SkyClan for many moons to come."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bearpaw's Medicine Cat Ceremony   Bearpaw's Medicine Cat Ceremony Empty

Back to top Go down

Bearpaw's Medicine Cat Ceremony
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Warrior Clan Cats :: Areas of the Forest :: SkyClan Camp :: Tallbranch :: SkyClan Ceremonies :: Medicine Cat Ceremonies-
Jump to: