Warrior Clan Cats

The future's in your paws. Shape it well.

Roleplay in a cat Clan of warriors. Based off the Warriors series by Erin Hunter. Takes place in an AU before the cats in the books existed.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome to WCC! Here are our latest announcements:
Activity checks take place on the 1st of the month. PM a staff member with the completed form if you missed it.
Newleaf is finally here, and the Clans hope to find reprieve from the tough Leaf-bare.
Gatherings take place on the 1st of the month; keep your eyes out for a staff member's post!
Please feel free to hit up any staff member if you have any questions!

Starting from scratch[C]

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Copperbeanz

Copperbeanz

Characters : Missing: Juniperpaw(ShC), Quillsplash(ShC) | Dead: Tawnyshadow(ShC), Sootstorm(WC), Ajex(Outsider), Shatteredsky(SkC), Reedshine(TC), Deerleap(ShC) Slightfrost(Skc) Specklepaw(WC) Sunfire(TC), Copperlark(Outsider), Cinderpaw(TC), Quickpaw(WC), Deerpaw(ShC), Willowpaw(ShC)
Taurus Tiger
Number of posts : 3220

Starting from scratch[C] Empty
PostSubject: Starting from scratch[C]   Starting from scratch[C] EmptyThu Apr 27, 2023 9:46 pm

Tawnyshadow nudged Beetlepaw awake with her paw. The moon was rising slowly in the distance, ready for the cats of Shadowclan to begin their day. As the apprentice stirred, she slid out of the den and waited for them to come out as well. "Today, I'm taking you to the Pine Grove to show you how to hunt properly," She explained. With that said, Tawnyshadow turned and started in the direction on the Pine Grove.

They arrived just as the sun fully set. Tawnyshadow lead the apprentice to a small clearing. "The Pine Grove is the best place in Shadowclan to catch prey; many creatures choose to reside in the extra undergrowth that the rest of Shadowclan territory lacks," She began, "Now, watch carefully as I get into a hunting crouch. You must attempt to copy it afterwards." With all that said, Tawnyshadow dropped into a hunting crouch.

Former Staff
cotton

Characters : [S]mallstar [A]stershine [J]ayfrost [F]allowpaw ----- DECEASED: Robinloft Clementine Elsa, Morningpaw,
Libra Dog
Number of posts : 2016

PostSubject: Re: Starting from scratch[C]   Starting from scratch[C] EmptyTue May 02, 2023 10:16 pm

It was at a small nudge that Beetlepaw found themself stirring in their nest to, pale eyes meeting the vanishing tail-tip of their mentor as she exited the den; they already knew it well. Jaws widening in a yawn, the apprentice thought to themself how overwhelming they thought this would all be, especially without Lousekit at their side. They made a mental note to visit them in the medicine den later.

They met Tawnyshadow outside of the den and offered her a faint smile. A brief explanation explained everything Beetlepaw needed to know, so they followed Tawnyshadow in silence as they exited camp. On the outside, they were calm, collected, nonchalant. Inside, they had never been so excited. Camp was all they'd ever known, but now they would be

Not a single word tainted Beetlepaw's concentration as they took in the territory; the smells, the sights, the sounds. They'd only ever heard faint birdsong from the medicine den, but here, it could be heard from every direction. The smells were almost overwhelming, intruding form all angled. They wouldn't say they didn't like it, though.

By the time they'd reached their destination, the world was dark. The sound of what could be assumed to be prey scampered in the underbrush, alluding their locations through small foot steps amplified by the splashing of water. Beetlepaw turned their attention over to Tawnyshadow, nodding before dropping into a crouch. "Is this right?" They asked, simply, glancing over to Tawnyshadow's stance once more. "I don't know if my legs should be wider."

∞ Former Windclan Leader ∞ || Former Site Adminsitrator

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
https://kiz-mett.carrd.co/
Copperbeanz

Copperbeanz

Characters : Missing: Juniperpaw(ShC), Quillsplash(ShC) | Dead: Tawnyshadow(ShC), Sootstorm(WC), Ajex(Outsider), Shatteredsky(SkC), Reedshine(TC), Deerleap(ShC) Slightfrost(Skc) Specklepaw(WC) Sunfire(TC), Copperlark(Outsider), Cinderpaw(TC), Quickpaw(WC), Deerpaw(ShC), Willowpaw(ShC)
Taurus Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Starting from scratch[C]   Starting from scratch[C] EmptyWed May 03, 2023 1:36 am

Tawnyshadow observed Beetlepaw's crouch for a moment. "Keep your belly off the ground, and your front legs should be tucked closer under your chest," She suggested, nudging the apprentice's paws closer with her tail. "Once you've done that, you can try stalking until here," the warrior continued, slashing a line in the mud a fox-length away.

Former Staff
cotton

Characters : [S]mallstar [A]stershine [J]ayfrost [F]allowpaw ----- DECEASED: Robinloft Clementine Elsa, Morningpaw,
Libra Dog

PostSubject: Re: Starting from scratch[C]   Starting from scratch[C] EmptyThu May 04, 2023 7:46 pm

"Right." Beetlepaw nodded their head and focused their thoughts, raising themselves from the mud that just seemed to rise the more they distanced themself from it. Eventually, they found a way to keep themself from sinking into the mud further, so they took the time to adjust the placement of their limbs. "Like this?" They questioned, looking over to Tawnyshadow for confirmation.

Once they knew they'd correctly adjusted their crouch, they fixed their gaze on the line Tawnyshadow had etched into the mud. They were meant to stalk to it, but it was hard enough to walk normally in the marshes. They were short, so the mud rose higher on them, but they were also light; they'd use that to their advantage.

They had to restrain the urge to stretch their limbs to increase their height as they began to stalk through the marsh, raising their paws close to their body when taking a new step. All of their attention was dedicated to controlling their muscle and limb movement to their maximum ability, they weren't looking where they were going. By the time they looked back up, they'd already passed the line their mentor had made. Turning around, they looked back to Tawnyshadow, seeking her opinion. "Did I do it right? Should I be doing soemthing different?"

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Copperbeanz

Copperbeanz

Taurus Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Starting from scratch[C]   Starting from scratch[C] EmptyThu May 04, 2023 9:48 pm

Tawnyshadow cringed as Beetlepaw lumbered clumsily pass the line she had drawn. Right, maybe she should take things slower. She got into a crouching position then stalked forward a few steps. "You should place your paws down gently and not put all your weight on your front legs so that you don't sink into the mud," She explained, demostrating how her front paws did not even sink half-way through the mud when she placed the down. One step at a time... just like Forestbreeze did for her, she would have to show Beetlepaw patience as she guided him through the basics.

"When stalking, its good to keep your focus on your target, but you should also be aware of your surroundings,"
She continued, "make sure you don't sink into any deep puddle or disturb twigs. Keep your tail still, and don't bunch your body so close together. Try to copy the movement of a snake; keep low to the ground and slide forward soundlessly." Was her explanation enough? She slid forward, soundless as an adder, towards the line she had drawn.

Once done, she straightened up and instructed, "Now, try again, and keep what I just told you in mind."

Former Staff
cotton

Libra Dog

PostSubject: Re: Starting from scratch[C]   Starting from scratch[C] EmptyWed May 10, 2023 9:16 am

Beetlepaw thought they were sinking into the mud simply due to their small stature, but it seemed it may be a common problem. It made them feel a little bit better about thier failure. Instead of dewlling on it, they focused on correcting themselves, analyzing Tawnyshadow as she went over the crouch once more. "Yeah, alright. Like a snake." They looked down to their own paws, lightning their steps. "I'll try again." Instead of walking back to where they started, they turned around, using the same line as a destination.

They dropped into a crouch, restraining the urge to keep their eyes on the paws. Instead, they kept their eyes ahead, memorizing the placement of certain terrain so that when their paws passed over it, they knew where it was. Although they didn't think they moved like a snake, they at least kept themself from sinking into the mud again. When they passed over the line once more, they straigterned their posture, turning around to look at Tawnyshadow. "Did I do it? I think I did." Although their tone didn't sound it, there was an excited swquint to their eye. "Can I try on something? Like a bug or a mouse?"

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Copperbeanz

Copperbeanz

Taurus Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Starting from scratch[C]   Starting from scratch[C] EmptyWed May 10, 2023 8:05 pm

Beetlepaw tried once again to perfect their stalking. While it wasn't the best, it was rather good for an apprentice only a few sunrises since they had left the nursery. Tawnyshadow nodded in approval, glad that the apprentice finally seemed to be getting the hang of it. "Of course," She agreed, "Scent the air; there will be many scents, but you have to find the freshest ones."

Former Staff
cotton

Libra Dog

PostSubject: Re: Starting from scratch[C]   Starting from scratch[C] EmptyTue May 16, 2023 7:46 am

Beetlepaw let their eyes fall closed, lifting their nose skywards, almost comically, as if it would increase the range they were able to scent. There were so many smells, most of them new, which was almost overwhelming. The scent of fresh-kill and the scent of live prey were much different, they assumed, but it was similar enough for them tthem to recognize a fresh lizard scent as it wafted towards them from upwind. "I think.. i smell a lizard! Right?" They looked to Tawnyshadow with large, curious eyes. "I'm gonna try catching it." They said, with no real plan with how to go about that. They'd try their best. Improvise.

Nose in the air once more, they followed the scent they picked out, unevenly meandering the area, ears erect until  they heard the faint patters of reptile feet on mud. As soon as they'd heard it, they stopped in their tracks, brows furrowed in concentration as they searched for their target. They kept in mind Tawnyshadows words. Focus on the target, be aware of your surroundings. Be loose. Glide over the ground. Using all that they'd learned thus far, Beetlepaw slowly sneaked forwards, steps light and posture loose. Then, they lunged. Clumsily. Their paws were aimed for their target, but their reflexes were not sharp enough to adjust when the lizard moved out of the way. Nor were they skilled enough to get back to their paws quick enough after their plunder to give chase. The lizard was gone before they even had time to open their eyes.

It was embarrassing. They were covered in mud and had just lost what seemed to be easy prey. Still, they rose to their paws, determined to try again. "Well... That's okay. I'll just try again." They meowed, blatantly. Although their ears were warm with embarrassment, they raised their nose to the air once more, already attempting to pick out a new scent.

Beetlepaw has attempted to catch lizard, costing 3 SP. Attempt was unsuccessful!

Beetlepaw:

57/60 SP [-03]

Spoiler:

Last edited by cotton on Thu May 18, 2023 8:28 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Mistpelt

Mistpelt

Characters : Mistpelt
Clan/Rank : RiverClanWarrior
Pisces Dog
Number of posts : 15048

PostSubject: Re: Starting from scratch[C]   Starting from scratch[C] EmptyTue May 16, 2023 7:46 am

The member 'cotton' has done the following action : Dice roll

'Hunting Dice' : 9

Starting from scratch[C] Mistpe10
Starting from scratch[C] Sig2
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/profile?user=xxxmuffinheadxxx
Copperbeanz

Copperbeanz

Taurus Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Starting from scratch[C]   Starting from scratch[C] EmptyTue May 16, 2023 7:22 pm

Beetlepaw tried to catch a lizard... and failed. What was she doing wrong here? Did she simply need more patience, or was she supposed to be more strict? Tawnyshadow couldn't hold back all of her disappointment from her face, but praised the apprentice nonetheless. "Well done. You remembered everything I taught you and applied them well, but due to simply not having practised it enough times you failed. No matter. You can try again, and maybe you'll succeed this time," She mewed, hoping to cheer up the apprentice.

Former Staff
cotton

Libra Dog

PostSubject: Re: Starting from scratch[C]   Starting from scratch[C] EmptyThu May 18, 2023 8:38 am

"Yeah, I guess." Beetlepaw hadn't been initially hurt by their plunder, but the look on Tawnyshadow's face dampened their determination, slightly. Trying to be hopeful, they turned away again, attempting to pick a scent in specific to follow. The longer they spent out here, the more familiar they got with the amount of scents they registered. Although still overwhelming, they were now able to pick out specific ones easier, like a shrew, which smelled more fresh than some of the other scents.

Without turning back to Tawnyshadow, they stalked through the mud, lightening their steps when the scent grew stronger. The shrew was nearby, shuffling beside a small shrub, currently unaware of Beetlepaw's presence. Crouching low, and continuing to be conscious of both their movements and their surroundings, they lunged, going for the shrew with their teeth rather than their paws. Before the shrew was able to let out a sound, it was wedged between Beetlepaw's jaws. For a brief moment, they were unsure of what to do with it, but quickly made the decision to clamp down, and the shrew fell limp with a snap. The taste of its blood filled their mouth, perhaps they'd clamped down too hard

Dashing back to Tawnyshadow, vole hanging from their jaws, Beetlepaw shared their success. " Tawnyshadow, look! I caught something! I knew I could!" Their words were muffled, but their excitement was evident in the way they restlessly lifted their paws.

Beetlepaw has attempted to catch a rodent, costing 3 SP. Attempt was successful!

Beetlepaw:

54/60 SP [-03]

Spoiler:

Last edited by cotton on Thu May 18, 2023 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mistpelt

Mistpelt

Characters : Mistpelt
Clan/Rank : RiverClanWarrior
Pisces Dog
Number of posts : 15048

PostSubject: Re: Starting from scratch[C]   Starting from scratch[C] EmptyThu May 18, 2023 8:38 am

The member 'cotton' has done the following action : Dice roll

'Hunting Dice' : 5

Starting from scratch[C] Mistpe10
Starting from scratch[C] Sig2
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/profile?user=xxxmuffinheadxxx
Copperbeanz

Copperbeanz

Taurus Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Starting from scratch[C]   Starting from scratch[C] EmptyThu May 18, 2023 9:06 am

Tawnyshadow inwardly let out a breath of relief when Beetlepaw caught the shrew. Sure, the stalking and pouncing wasn't perfect, and the killing bite was especially mesy, but those could be improved over time. What was important was that Beetlepaw had understood the concept. "Well done," She purred, spirits raised when she spotted the apprentice's excited expression.

"That's all for today. You did very well, and in a few sunrises I think you should be ready for your first patrol. For now, you can take your catch back to camp and take a pick of fresh-kill. Rest for the rest of the day," Tawnyshadow instructed, getting to her paws. The training session hadn't gone nearly as well as she had expected, but then again her expectations were highly unrealistic. Still, she was glad for the opportunity to train Beetlepaw.

OOC: If Beetlepaw has nothing else to add, then we can consider this topic completed. I will post the battle training topic shortly. Also, I'm super excited to have an apprentice. My first one, Wrenpaw, who was given to Deerleap, went inactive after one post, so Beetlepaw will be the first apprentice I get to RP training! I look forward to RPing with you, Cotton!

PostSubject: Re: Starting from scratch[C]   Starting from scratch[C] Empty

Back to top Go down

Starting from scratch[C]
Page 1 of 1