Warrior Clan Cats

The future's in your paws. Shape it well.

Roleplay in a cat Clan of warriors. Based off the Warriors series by Erin Hunter. Takes place in an AU before the cats in the books existed.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome to WCC! Here are our latest announcements:
Activity checks take place on the 1st of the month. PM a staff member with the completed form if you missed it.
Newleaf is finally here, and the Clans hope to find reprieve from the tough Leaf-bare.
Gatherings take place on the 1st of the month; keep your eyes out for a staff member's post!
Please feel free to hit up any staff member if you have any questions!

Frostednight's Medicine Cat Apprentice Ceremony

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Byrin

Byrin

Characters : Basskit / Fuzzybelly
Clan/Rank : ShadowClan T3 Medicine Cat / ShadowClan Kit / T1 Loner / WindClan Elder
Leo Dog
Number of posts : 499

Frostednight's Medicine Cat Apprentice Ceremony Empty
PostSubject: Frostednight's Medicine Cat Apprentice Ceremony   Frostednight's Medicine Cat Apprentice Ceremony EmptyFri 14 Oct 2022 - 7:16

Fuzzybelly knew he'd one day take an apprentice. As far back as he could think, and as far as he could ask, medicine cats in ShadowClan were picked at kits, apprentices at the oldest.

When StarClan brought red lightning in his den, though, he couldn't argue with fate.

It would not be the first time a medicine cat started as a warrior. Batsong was a warrior before taking on the mantle, and she was a great asset for WindClan and was training her own apprentice. He had faith that Frostednight, though she didn't speak much, could learn the herbs and serve ShadowClan well. But she would have to be trained first.

He had helped train the medicine cats in SkyClan, even gave them their names. It was weird; other than Fawnshine, he was the most senior current medicine cat in the forest. It was beyond time to find an apprentice.

Basilbloom died within a half-moon of his ceremony, which rattled him to the core. When he finally felt ready, then all of ShadowClan became wetter than RiverClan for a season. Then, with Froststar dying... it had been a tumultuous time to be a ShadowClan cat, and he could only hope that he was doing enough as the lone medicine cat.

The flood made him realize that he couldn't do it alone. Half of his Clan relied on Fawnshine and Eggdrop (who was now missing) for moons.

But did Frostednight want to take this on? She was a war veteran, grizzled and covered with scars. She sought out a badger for a pelt, for StarClan's sake. Fuzzybelly never knew combat, it was in fact against code for anyone to touch him in battle. The thought of going after a known predator was lunacy, but it was the kind of thing she'd need to be able to handle to run into an emergency.

Her assets as a warrior would be assets as a medicine cat, he just had to think of how to shape those skills that way.

Fuzzybelly approached Frostednight, his own thoughts vibrating in his skull.

"Hullo Frostednight, can we talk?"

He spoke in a hushed tone, to respect her privacy. "I've been thinking, about the dreams, both yours and mine. I... feel like they're related somehow. And, well, I wanted to ask you something."

"StarClan is very choosy with who they talk to. They can talk to anyone, really, but they tend to talk to some cats more than others. It's not about power, status, anything. The ones they talk to the most are the ones who are willing to listen."

"From what you've told me, you've had a lot of experience with these things, things that don't happen to just any warrior going about their day. And so, I wanted to ask you something."

"I am long overdue for an apprentice. There are medicine cats who started after I did, trained an apprentice, and their apprentices are now almost full medicine cats themselves."

"You bring a lot to this. Battle experience, quick reflexes, willingness to get into any situation, no matter how dangerous it could be. A strong connection to dreams, thinking beyond yourself. I think, if you wanted it, you could be an excellent asset to ShadowClan as a medicine cat."

"I'd of course love to have you as an apprentice, but it's not an easy decision. Medicine cats can't take on mates, we're in a different place in a Clan than a warrior. There's an authority there, sure, but we aren't battlers. We go beyond the bounds of our own Clans, our job is to be a healer and a guide to the leader and the rest of the Clan, and to the other Clans too. I made this choice as a kit, and while I wouldn't change it for anything in the world, you have a right to know what you could be signing up for."

"Whatever decision you make, it's in your paws. When you're ready to tell me, you know where to find me."

"If you decide to be my apprentice, you can keep your name if you choose. I'd take you to the Moonstone and there would be a ceremony there."

"Either way, stars light your path."

He dipped his head, giving her time to think, but didn't want to pressure her.
Back to top Go down
Stags

Stags

Virgo Tiger
Number of posts : 1847

PostSubject: Re: Frostednight's Medicine Cat Apprentice Ceremony   Frostednight's Medicine Cat Apprentice Ceremony EmptyFri 14 Oct 2022 - 8:03

Frostednight turned to look at Fuzzybelly who greeted her in a hushed tone. She was both anxious and intriqued by the approach. Wincing slightly as she turned, still injured, she settled down to listen to what he had asked. So he did believe that the voices she heard and the dream she saw was from StarClan, and not some other problem? There wasn't anything wrong with her? Her heart twanged a little when he mentioned unable to take a mate and her multi-colored gaze drifted to where Iceheart bustled around across camp. It wasn't like she was interested in her anyway. Iceheart was too good for her, too beloved. So she wasn't losing anything in that department, no matter how difficult it was to admit it. She looked back to Fuzzybelly, staring straight at him with her chilling eyes as she mulled it over. Finally, she spoke:

"I will become your apprentice. I would like to change my name. It would be better to consider myself changed. And my badger pelt, I want to keep. I would like to be involved in large battles. Healing, I guess." She dipped her head, not really sure how to truly act in this situation.

.: Coyotegrin :: Kestrelchirp :: Quailprowler : Singedfox :.
#9966ff : #cc3300 : #6699ff : #993366 : Bold
WC T5 Warrior : WC T3 Warrior : TC T2 Warrior : SC T1 Warrior (Perma-NPC)
"When there's nothing left to burn, you have to set yourself on fire."

Back to top Go down
Byrin

Byrin

Clan/Rank : ShadowClan T3 Medicine Cat / ShadowClan Kit / T1 Loner / WindClan Elder
Leo Dog

PostSubject: Re: Frostednight's Medicine Cat Apprentice Ceremony   Frostednight's Medicine Cat Apprentice Ceremony EmptyFri 14 Oct 2022 - 9:03

Fuzzybelly was about to walk away when her eyes met his. He sat down, ready for her response.

So, she agreed? And wanted a name change? Well, he could certainly make that happen.

"You earned that pelt, you can keep it. And battles, we'll be busy patching people up. That's what you meant, right? ...right?"

"Well, if it is your will, let it be done. Let's get ready to go."

Fuzzybelly was about to autonomously collect the bundles himself, then paused. Right, I have to explain this, she's going to be learning.

"Trips to the Moonstone are far away. So we take herbs before we leave so we can get there with enough strength to come back."

He pulled enough for two bundles, then showed them to Frostednight.

"I use three herbs for traveling. This one with the small wide leaves is sorrel, you can find it a lot of places. Helps make you feel less hungry. Burnet is this one, with the moon looking leaves, this is for strength. SkyClan uses daisies as their third herb, but we don't have a lot of those in ShadowClan, so I use marigold, this bright flower here. We have a lot of marigold since the marsh is so wet, and marigold is useful for other things too, not just for joints. Things like infections and bleeding; I used marigold on you when you came in with your neck wound."

"It's a process, there's a lot to remember. But you can do it."

"So, burnet is pretty bitter. It won't be an enjoyable snack, but you had this before with me when you were going to the Moonstone. After a while, you don't notice the taste. I promise."

After the two ate the herbs, he started the trek to Highstones. "You know how to travel the marsh, but once you get on the sandy path, it's a straight shot, you can't miss it."

As they walked up the side, he turned to make sure she was keeping up. That neck wound looked particularly prominent. When she asked for a new name, it was hard enough to come up with something. Naming an apprentice into a medicine cat was one thing, because he had that experience. But converting a warrior to a medicine cat apprentice with a new name? That was new for him.

He glanced at the scar again. It did look like lightning, but it also looked like roots, almost. The way they spread and flexed themselves in the dirt.

Fuzzybelly grinned. He had a name for her now.

"It's not much farther!"

They were at Highstones, approaching Mothermouth. It always stirred him in his heart, and he wondered if she felt that way too.

"We meet here every moon as medicine cats. You'll get to meet the others, they're all great."

He weaved through the tunnel, his fluffy tail behind him. The brown tabby was so used to handling all of ShadowClan alone, and it was reassuring to have someone else share it together.

It would be good for ShadowClan, too. Every medicine cat had their strengths and weaknesses, and perhaps she could help in ways he didn't even think of.

"Here we are. Let's get started."

He flicked his tail to the right, prompting the former warrior to sit next to him.

"StarClan, I come to you in gratitude. I, Fuzzybelly, medicine cat of ShadowClan, bring you this warrior. She has stated that she desires a new name, to represent the new path she will walk as my apprentice. May this be your will."

"StarClan, you know this warrior as Frostednight, a warrior of ShadowClan. You pick a star for all of us in Silverpelt for when we return. It is my petition, then, that this warrior may no longer be called Frostednight, but something else entirely. For the sign that brought her to me, and for her stalwart resolve in the face of foes, I ask you to now see her as Burdockpaw, and call her so. Like the herb, a healing presence, while defending those with ferocity from infection and ill will. May my ancestors approve of my choice."

"Burdockpaw, I bring you in the visage of StarClan and all of our ancestors to give you a charge. The life of a medicine cat is much different than the path you walked as a warrior, and it is my conviction that you were brought to me through signs and your rite of passage to walk this new one as my apprentice, to eventually become a full medicine cat of ShadowClan."

"Burdockpaw, do you solemnly vow, to yourself and StarClan, to uphold the Code, to transcend Clan rivalries for the good of all cats, to be open to StarClan's guidance, to heal all cats regardless of Clan or creed, and to work towards a mastery of the craft of medicine, to give guidance to the leader, however difficult it may be, even at the cost of your life?"
Back to top Go down
Stags

Stags

Virgo Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Frostednight's Medicine Cat Apprentice Ceremony   Frostednight's Medicine Cat Apprentice Ceremony EmptyFri 14 Oct 2022 - 9:57

Fuzzybelly seemed surprised that she actually accepted the request, and frankly, she was surprised too. But really? Why not? She had nothing going on for her besides being a warrior in the background. No apprentice, no real friends besides Nightstar, no romantic courtships. By being a medicine cat, she lost nothing but gained everything. ShadowClan would have to notice her now. When Fuzzybelly confirmed she could still attend battles, but only for patching, it was what she meant and she was okay with it. However, he second questioned her, making sure that's what she meant. All she did was simply stare back.

Frostednight followed Fuzzybelly into his den... Her den too now? And listened and watched carefully as he prepared the traveling herbs, explaining each one in clear detail. When Nightstar took her to the Moonstone, they are no herbs. How useful this knowledge would have been if she could have scavenged these along the way back then. Dutifully, the warrior are the herbs and they headed out.

They walked in relative silence, just like all those moons ago, as Fuzzybelly pointed out details here and there. Soon, they made it. The mention of the other medicine cats reminded her that she was about to join a special select few... She was special. Maybe they would care about her.

Frostednight settled in and listened closely to the elaborate and well spoken ceremony. For such short notice of the name change, Fuzzybelly did a good job chosing her name... Burdock. She liked it. It was unique and settled right on her shoulders. It might take a while to get used to it, especially the paw part. As easy as it would have been to take offense to being reduced back down to a paw, she didn't. It was a reminder she was in training again, and no sane cat with two eyes would mistake her for a youngster.

The vows she was expected to take seemed extreme at first, but not really when the benefits were listed next to them. The freedom to travel without borders, study, learn, innovate... It was alluring to her. Maybe that's what has been missing her whole life. Before the flood, Burdockpaw couldn't have cared less if she was in ShadowClan or elsewhere. But now, she likes the willingness she felt to accept the clan as hers.

"I, Burdockpaw, take this oath." An improvement to her warrior ceremony, the words felt different this time. It felt more real and meaningful. The new medicine cat apprentice looked to her new mentor for guidance. She wondered if Nightstar knew.

Back to top Go down
Byrin

Byrin

Leo Dog

PostSubject: Re: Frostednight's Medicine Cat Apprentice Ceremony   Frostednight's Medicine Cat Apprentice Ceremony EmptyFri 14 Oct 2022 - 11:29

"Then, Burdockpaw, it is my pleasure and honor to commend you as my apprentice. Until you take your full name as a medicine cat, then Burdockpaw is what you will be called."

"StarClan is waiting for you, Burdockpaw, to greet you into the life of a medicine cat. Touch your nose to the stone, and may stars light your path."

Fuzzybelly smiled. "As long as my paws walk the marshes, you won't be doing this alone. And when they don't, or if you can't find me, Silverpelt is always there with you too. We're in this together. That's the beauty of this path. Every cat before you wants you to succeed."

"Go ahead, see who might be waiting for you. And when we get back, we'll make you a nest and get you situated."

The brown tabby sat next to her, waiting for her to touch her nose to the stone. He was a big cat and could look like a guard, but he had never battled a day in his life. Burdockpaw would be better off with a warrior apprentice than himself standing guard, but he supposed it would have to do.

He looked at Silverpelt and felt himself ease in a way that he didn't even know he was stressed.

Thank you, StarClan, now I don't have to do this alone, and perhaps Burdockpaw has found her home too. That's my hope.
Back to top Go down
Stags

Stags

Virgo Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Frostednight's Medicine Cat Apprentice Ceremony   Frostednight's Medicine Cat Apprentice Ceremony EmptyFri 14 Oct 2022 - 11:35

Burdockpaw looked back to the Moonstone after her quick glance. A new nest in a new den... That would be a worry for later. With a nod to Fuzzybelly's words, she laid down and touched her nose to the cold stone. Her eyes shut immediately.

When they reopened, a starry forest was laid out around her. Perhaps this time she would actually speak to a StarClan cat instead of getting a vision...

Back to top Go down
Karuna

Karuna

Characters : [L]Lilyvalley, [E]Elmpaw, [R]Robinmist, [A]Adderkit
Clan/Rank : [L]ShadowClan T3 Warrior, [E]RiverClan Apprentice, [R]SkyClan Elder, [A]ThunderClan Kit
Virgo Horse
Number of posts : 2194

PostSubject: Re: Frostednight's Medicine Cat Apprentice Ceremony   Frostednight's Medicine Cat Apprentice Ceremony EmptyFri 14 Oct 2022 - 11:51

And speak to a StarClan cat Burdockpaw would.

A silver tabby padded out of the forest, a small smile on her face. This was nothing like her home Clan, the marshy ground vastly different from the moors she had grown up on in WindClan. But it was similar to the home the cat in front of her knew, and so that was where they would speak.

"Welcome to StarClan, Burdockpaw. My name is Mistystripe. I was the medicine cat apprentice of WindClan seasons ago. I started out as a warrior, just as you had. But that was not where my paws were meant to be. Just as it was not meant for you.

There are so many different reasons cats choose to take on the role of medicine cat. For me, I wanted to take care of my family in a way I could not before. My littermate had just been badly injured when I had made that decision. And I know you have your own reasons. But whatever they may be, they all led us to this point. Even though my life was cut short, I would never change anything for a single heartbeat. But be warned, it won't be easy. You will have to watch the ones you love grow in life, knowing that your paws are set on a different path. They will have families while you can never take a mate. It takes strength to be able to accept that.

But there is also joy to be had. Cats will come to you when they need help the most. When new life comes to the world, it will be you who brings it in. From the youngest kit, to the oldest elder, every cat in your Clan will be your family now. They will depend on you, Burdockpaw. It will be your job to be there for them. Just as the stars will always be there for you."

Frostednight's Medicine Cat Apprentice Ceremony SZhpb
Art by Copperbeanz

Lilyvalley* | ShadowClan Warrior | 45/90 | #6e174c
Elmpaw | RiverClan Apprentice | 20/60 | #1c1c70
Robinmist | Skyclan Elder | 60/80 | #4E5A64
Adderkit | ThunderClan Kit | 10/30 | #99b586 (Not Pictured)

Profiles | Heart Chart | Plotting

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Frostednight's Medicine Cat Apprentice Ceremony   Frostednight's Medicine Cat Apprentice Ceremony Empty

Back to top Go down

Frostednight's Medicine Cat Apprentice Ceremony
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Warrior Clan Cats :: Areas of the Forest :: ShadowClan Camp :: Jaggedrock :: ShadowClan Ceremonies :: Medicine Cat Apprentice Ceremonies-
Jump to: