Warrior Clan Cats

The future's in your paws. Shape it well.

Roleplay in a cat Clan of warriors. Based off the Warriors series by Erin Hunter. Takes place in an AU before the cats in the books existed.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome to WCC! Here are our latest announcements:
Activity checks take place on the 1st of the month. PM a staff member with the completed form if you missed it.
Newleaf is finally here, and the Clans hope to find reprieve from the tough Leaf-bare.
Gatherings take place on the 1st of the month; keep your eyes out for a staff member's post!
Please feel free to hit up any staff member if you have any questions!

The quick and the dead

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Byrin

Byrin

Characters : Basskit / Fuzzybelly
Clan/Rank : ShadowClan T3 Medicine Cat / ShadowClan Kit / T1 Loner / WindClan Elder
Leo Dog
Number of posts : 502

The quick and the dead  Empty
PostSubject: The quick and the dead    The quick and the dead  EmptyTue 16 Aug 2022 - 16:17

When she was a warrior, she thought nothing about what happened after death. Live, die, StarClan. Seemed like a linear process, no fuss or frills. Live, die, StarClan.

What Mintheart didn't realize, though, was that every cat had to go somewhere after death. What made a cat themselves went to StarClan, sure... but the bones and fur were left behind. And the bones and fur had to be put somewhere. Otherwise the moors would be surrounded with pointy half-eroded rib cages of cats long gone, like gnarled gorse in leafbare.

When she became an elder, this became how she served WindClan. She had proven herself out of practice with hunting, of course with her granddaughter watching. It had been seasons since Mintheart fought for WindClan. And besides Lynxkit, she had been out of the nursery for seasons too.

Today's burial was sad, most of them were. It was one thing to have a cat who lived a long, good life to be laid to rest, but another entirely for the young. From what Mintheart understood, Graybreeze had a kit recently and got sick, just never got better.

Normally, once the body had been under vigil, they went to bury it unaccompanied. Cats found death uncomfortable, and once they had said their parting words, they wanted to grieve alone. They didn't want to think about it anymore. Live, die, StarClan.

And yet, there was an oddity of a kit still there when Mintheart came to get the body.

"Hey there darlin', we here ta get 'er. We's gonna take good care o' her, don't ya worry."

Mintheart approached Graybreeze's body, trying to get underneath her. "StarClan, my bones ain't right fo' this, why Stumpytoad gotta be so short and Moorbite so old...?" She meowed, "Love ya, honey," in case Moorbite was behind her. Rolling her eyes, she squished herself below Graybreeze, flattening herself. "Stars n' whiskers, I gots ta lay off the rabbit..."

After two failed attempts, she successfully scooped the fallen queen on her back. And yet, this kit still lingered.

"Youse comin' wit' us? You know we gonna put 'er in the dirt, right?"

Mintheart blinked, looking at Birchkit.

"Like, in the dirt. The. Dirt. Where yo' paws is. In uh hole."

The small thing still stayed.

"Well I'll be, youse uh different kind o' cat. C'mon, darlin', we gonna find yo' momma sum good dirt. WindClan gots lots o' dirt, lots ta pick from. We gonna go like we goin' ta Highstones, not that far though."

Mintheart flicked her tail, trying to get her compadres to follow her. Hopefully they wouldn't be wandering the moor with a kit for too long.

"Whereva' ya want 'er, there's flowers n' holes n' all kinds o' things. Let me know when ya find where ya wan' 'er."
Back to top Go down
Stags

Stags

Virgo Tiger
Number of posts : 1864

PostSubject: Re: The quick and the dead    The quick and the dead  EmptyTue 16 Aug 2022 - 16:43

Moorbite huffed at his mate's remark. "You're the same age as me, don't you forget. But love yah too." He grunted, before leaning down to shoulder the burden of the deceased queen with his aching bones. He waited for Mintheart to start walking, blinking at the kit. Speaking to kits was never his forte, and with acknowledgement of the seriousness of the situation, Moorbite held his tongue.

.: Coyotegrin :: Kestrelchirp :: Quailprowler : Singedfox :.
#9966ff : #cc3300 : #6699ff : #993366 : Bold
WC T5 Warrior : WC T3 Warrior : TC T2 Warrior : SC T1 Warrior (Perma-NPC)
"When there's nothing left to burn, you have to set yourself on fire."

Back to top Go down
Aspen
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Aspen

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 1547

PostSubject: Re: The quick and the dead    The quick and the dead  EmptyTue 16 Aug 2022 - 17:08

The elder molly promised to take good care of her. Birchkit simply nodded as they watched the elders pick up the stiff form. Mintheart, they think her name was, made sure to impress on them that they'd be burying Mom. They nodded again, blinking with wide eyes. Batsong had already explained the process.

Together with WindClan's three elders, Birchkit padded out into the territory. It was funny, this was their first time outside of camp, and it was to do something this unsavory.

There certainly was a lot of dirt, and flowers, and grass. The moors seemed to stretch out forever. The little gray tabby lagged behind, admiring the view for a few heartbeats before catching up with the elders once more. There was a patch of dirt nearby that was nice. A little rocky, but mossy, with some tall grasses and little wildflowers accenting it.

"This is a good spot," they finally spoke up, pawing at the moss. "She deserves something nice. Like this."

OOC: here

The quick and the dead  2RvdchP
Flickerpaw         Icepaw         Lightpaw         Cricketpaw
#54565A         #8ED2E2         #E7CD65         #76AF5C

[CHARACTER PROFILES]
Back to top Go down
Byrin

Byrin

Clan/Rank : ShadowClan T3 Medicine Cat / ShadowClan Kit / T1 Loner / WindClan Elder
Leo Dog

PostSubject: Re: The quick and the dead    The quick and the dead  EmptyTue 16 Aug 2022 - 17:37

"Good spot, we'll git her ready n' in there."

Mintheart lowered Graybreeze's body to the ground. With her paws, she kicked up mounds of dirt and pushed out some rocks. The elder would have preferred soft ground, but her mom didn't die yesterday, so she tried to keep that thought to herself.

Besides, it was a nice area. And even though she found it odd that a kit that young wanted to see their mom in the dirt, she wasn't going to argue with them.

"It's so hot," she muttered as she kept digging. "Hotter than Thunderpath."

She was hoping that the hole was done. "We gots ta make sure this hole deep enough, I don't wanna have no baby's last time they see they mama with uh paw hangin' out the dirt," she tried to say to Moorbite alone but was probably a little louder than she wanted.
Back to top Go down
Aspen
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Aspen

Leo Cat

PostSubject: Re: The quick and the dead    The quick and the dead  EmptyWed 17 Aug 2022 - 11:18

Birchkit hung back as the elders dug a hole, watching quietly as Graybreeze was placed in once it was deep enough. Worming their way through to get one last look at her, they stared into the hole for a moment, then hurried off to grab something. The little kit returned with a wildflower they had plucked in their teeth and they tossed it down on top of the body. It was a pretty flower, and it made the rocky dirt and moss a little bit brighter. Rooting around in the grass like they had pulled some stray bits out of the ground, and bits and pieces of moor grass stuck out of their fur.

Satisfied, they sat back on their haunches, letting the elders finish their work. One thing was weighing on their mind, though, and after a long silence, they piped up. "Mintheart, do you know what happens to cats after they're buried? Batsong said they fade away....How?"

[CHARACTER PROFILES]
Back to top Go down
Stags

Stags

Virgo Tiger
Number of posts : 1864

PostSubject: Re: The quick and the dead    The quick and the dead  EmptyWed 17 Aug 2022 - 13:04

Moorbite stretched from his hunched position of patting down the dirt and turned to the kit. "They go to StarClan, kit." Though his voice was his usual gruff, it was softer than normal. He had burried a-many in his time, and it wouldn't be his last. He glanced to Mintheart. He hoped he died before her, for, he wouldn't last long without her.  "They frolic for all of eternity in a-bloomin medo', hunting an' guidin' us down here." He huffed. "They think they smarter since they die, but between you an me? There ain't no difference between up there and down there. I'm sure you'll see 'er up in yer Moonstone one day, kit." He glanced over to Mintheart, she was always an excellent mother to their kits. She couldn't be too rusty.
Back to top Go down
Byrin

Byrin

Leo Dog

PostSubject: Re: The quick and the dead    The quick and the dead  EmptyWed 17 Aug 2022 - 13:44

Mintheart looked at her mate lovingly. She was blessed, truly, to have so many seasons with him. Cats had lived, been born, and died while they were together. It was something she was thankful for everyday.

Wut’cho mean, like her body or the rest o’ her?

Mintheart smiled at Birchkit’s offering. “I’m sho she’ll like that, I know I would. It’s nice.

She looked down at the grave. The finality of it all was the most jarring thing she remembered when she first became an elder.

Well… the rest o’ her’s in StarClan. She prolly is meetin’ back wit’ her momma n’ the rest o’em.

Now, fo’ the body? Well, I ain’t neva watched no body, but I knows there’s always greener grass. Yo’ momma’s prolly part o’ the dirt, makin’ it betta fo’ flowers n’ stuff. Sum stuff may still be down there, buts yo’ momma joins the moor, like we all do.
Back to top Go down
Aspen
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Aspen

Leo Cat

PostSubject: Re: The quick and the dead    The quick and the dead  EmptyWed 17 Aug 2022 - 15:19

Moorbite spoke up of StarClan and running the moors for eternity. Perhaps Birchkit could even see Mom again when they visited the Moonstone. That sounded very lovely, something to look forward to.

They turned their attention back towards Mintheart to answer her question. "I meant the body. I know about StarClan, it sounds nice." Mintheart didn't necessarily know either, even with all of her elderly wisdom.

Birchkit stared at the filled hole with its disturbed dirt and mossy bits, then rose to their paws to head back towards camp. Or rather, let the elders lead the way...They would surely get lost on their own. They turned back to look at the three elders, an odd smile on their face. It was the first one they had made in a long time.

"When I find out the answer, I'll let you know. About what happens, I mean."

[CHARACTER PROFILES]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The quick and the dead    The quick and the dead  Empty

Back to top Go down

The quick and the dead