Warrior Clan Cats

The future's in your paws. Shape it well.

Roleplay in a cat Clan of warriors. Based off the Warriors series by Erin Hunter. Takes place in an AU before the cats in the books existed.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome to WCC! Here are our latest announcements:
Activity checks take place on the 1st of the month. PM a staff member with the completed form if you missed it.
Newleaf is finally here, and the Clans hope to find reprieve from the tough Leaf-bare.
Gatherings take place on the 1st of the month; keep your eyes out for a staff member's post!
Please feel free to hit up any staff member if you have any questions!

Natural's Not In It [C]

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
downfive
Former Staff
Former Staff
downfive

Characters : [R]owansong [Ro]okflight [S]ilverhawk [P]igeonpouce [F]ish [T]wilightpaw [F]alconkit [Fo]xkit
Clan/Rank : [R] RiverClan T5 Elder [Ro] RiverClan T4 Warrior [S] ShadowClan T4 Warrior [P] T2 RiverClan Warrior [F] T2 Rogue [T] RiverClan Apprentice [F] WindClan Kit [Fo] Unborn SkyClan Kit
Pisces Horse
Number of posts : 2537

Natural's Not In It [C] Empty
PostSubject: Natural's Not In It [C]   Natural's Not In It [C] EmptyMon Nov 01, 2021 6:31 am

Webshadow's tail waved slowly, his attention angled towards the sky. He'd been an early riser most of his life, but tonight, he'd gotten up a little later– he missed the sunset, and instead was greeted by the slowly rising moon. The rest of camp seemed to wake up with him, his fellow warriors stretching and plodding past him as they started their work. The tabby remained in place though, blinking slowly as he watched the stars.

A little while longer... then he would be satisfied. Whiskers twitched. Paws needed the ground. Ears flattened, perked up again, half-lowered. Then the moon rose high enough he could see it over the reaching branches of their little forest, over the wall of camp, and Webshadow let out a content little hum. His night could begin in earnest.

Rising to his paws, he picked his way over to the apprentice's den. "Ratpaw, hi," he called as he poked his nose inside. "It's time for training. I'm right outside." That was enough, so Webshadow pulled his head back and took a seat a few tail-lengths away. Ratpaw would come out soon.

He watched the den with intent, half-narrowed eyes as he waited. It was only a few heartbeats, but it was long enough for him to think– he hadn't decided what exactly they would do today. Webshadow tried to think back to Pantherpaw, what he'd done first with her, but it was hard to think of anything other than... he pulled in a deep breath. He refused to let that happen again. Shaking his head, he fluffed out his fur and continued to stare and wait.
Back to top Go down
ginger

ginger

Characters : Mintpool of Thunderclan | Hollyshine of Skyclan | Cinderkit of Shadowclan
Number of posts : 687

PostSubject: Re: Natural's Not In It [C]   Natural's Not In It [C] EmptyTue Nov 02, 2021 2:51 pm

Ratpaw’s tail was curled over his nose, his breath warm and breathing deep in sleep.

The young apprentice slept like a rock in his new — and softer — nest. It was a pretty thing, with spare feathers in tufts and his favorite brown stones. His mother had gone out herself to retrieve him the fresh, deepgreen moss and marshgrass; a tender gesture. (One that made it harder than he’d thought, to know she would go.) But with a throaty purr, she’d settled him into his nest before long, and told him he’d need his sleep for his training tomorrow — don’t forget, all right?

And “be good” — whatever that really meant. But she’d given him such a fond, tired look when he’d asked.

The warmth of the beating sun had eventually lulled him into sleep. It was only at the slight chill of the dusk — seeping in through his fur — that he began to rouse. It made a lot of sense, sleeping when it was so warm it sank into your bones, he thought sleepily, nuzzling into his nest. But it felt only a second later that his ears lifted; Webshadow is outside?

Oh. It cleared his mind, loosening its cobwebs. The kit — and he still felt much like a kit, even if he was going to be more on his own now — rose with a little stretch, fur tingling pleasantly. He made it brief.

Standing, the cold of the night felt good, kind of energizing, after the heat of his nest. Ratpaw felt it even more as he slid through the lowest leaves of the entrance.

And — there was Webshadow, looking pleasant in the light of the moon. A tinge of shyness struck him. (The older tom seemed a little bigger, now, didn’t he?) But then, Ratpaw’s heart — lifted, as the warrior’s gaze seemed to settle on him; a cat was waiting for him, and wanted him there.

”I’m here,” he mewed. Ratpaw took a closer look at his mentor, then the fullness of the stars; the height of the moon. ”Will we always start training now?”

The young tom realized he felt... unusually well-rested; usually, his mom insisted on rising at sunset, even if he napped often later.
Back to top Go down
downfive
Former Staff
Former Staff
downfive

Characters : [R]owansong [Ro]okflight [S]ilverhawk [P]igeonpouce [F]ish [T]wilightpaw [F]alconkit [Fo]xkit
Clan/Rank : [R] RiverClan T5 Elder [Ro] RiverClan T4 Warrior [S] ShadowClan T4 Warrior [P] T2 RiverClan Warrior [F] T2 Rogue [T] RiverClan Apprentice [F] WindClan Kit [Fo] Unborn SkyClan Kit
Pisces Horse

PostSubject: Re: Natural's Not In It [C]   Natural's Not In It [C] EmptyWed Nov 03, 2021 9:59 pm

It wasn't long before the dark apprentice made an appearance, and Webshadow remained in place, tipping his head to look the little tom over. A question was asked, and for a long while, he only flicked an ear in response. Then, seemingly unprompted, he answered, "About this time, yes. We can start earlier though, if you'd like." The warrior paused to rise to his paws, stretching out his legs as he did so. "I'm usually awake before it gets dark. We can start then, moving forward. I don't mind either way." Then, with a swish of his tail, he seemed to decide the conversation was over as he padded towards the thorn tunnel.

Ducking into the territory felt good again, for the first time in moons. There was no oppressive weight, no threat of rogues lurking in every flickering shadow. Still... despite knowing their band had been dissolved, Webshadow couldn't help but feel on edge. He cast a look over his shoulder at Ratpaw, eyes narrowing as he slowed his pace. A deep breath revealed there were no rogues about- only the earthy smells of marsh and pine -but still, worry pricked at Webshadow's chest. Wrinkling his nose, he turned away and trotted on.

"I think we'll spar today, Ratpaw," he mused idly, skirting around a deep patch of mud. He waved his tail away from it, letting his paws find the familiar path of rocks hidden beneath the marsh's surface. Ratpaw would follow suit, he was sure of it. "It might be... unconventional? to start right away with battle training, but-" a little snort as Webshadow pulled to a stop halfway through hauling himself onto the root of a tree, "-well, it's important. Does that sound alright with you?" The dark tabby sought his apprentice's gaze, whiskers twitching and head tilting again as he waited for a response. At least this way, if the worst were to happen, he would know Ratpaw was prepared. Only barely, but the little tom would learn with time.

StarClan, let this one have time.

FishRogue
T2 Rogue
#2F8A7B
SilverhawkShadowClan
T4 Warrior
#845D56
RowansongRiverClan
T5 Elder
#68228B
RookflightRiverClan
T4 Warrior
#6082B6
PigeonpounceRiverClan
T2 Warrior
#20AED4
TwilightpawRiverClan
Apprentice
#5B31AD
[not pictured]
FalconkitWindClan
Kit
#E36630
[not pictured]
FoxkitSkyClan
Kit
#9964B1
[not pictured]

Art by Xaandiir!
Back to top Go down
ginger

ginger

Characters : Mintpool of Thunderclan | Hollyshine of Skyclan | Cinderkit of Shadowclan

PostSubject: Re: Natural's Not In It [C]   Natural's Not In It [C] EmptyFri Nov 05, 2021 1:30 am

”...I think I prefer later,” is all he said, blinking. Puzzled.

Ratpaw… was not sure what to think of his new mentor. Webshadow was mild and seemingly calm, in a way that the tomkit felt... unused to, in adult figures charged with his safety. Ratpaw eyed the dark tabby’s sweeping tail, beckoning him to follow. Or charged with keeping me busy, maybe?

Trailing behind Webshadow obediently — hmm, and that really shouldn’t feel as strange as it did — his eyes roamed.

It wasn’t like a magical world, the land beyond camp, and he knew that. He had been taken outside before, even if never more than a fox-length from his mother and within sight of camp. (Ratpaw may have taken peeks more often than that. But as rule, he tried not to think about those times, on the theory that adults could sometimes read minds.) She had been a big believer in introducing stuff to him herself, after that.

Outside the thorn tunnel, Ratpaw immediately felt the wetness of the mud on his feet. It was a feature of the marsh, this quixotic mix of muddy, murky water. But it wasn’t so bad. Even splashed, it was only his fur, and not his skin. It wouldn’t make him cold.

The pace alone would make him warm, though — Webshadow’s legs were long. And he seemed in his own world too, as if looking for something. The little apprentice huffed.

After a few… steps and maybe slips in mud, Ratpaw learned to step where Webshadow did — this, he could be motivated to learn. It hurt to stumble. 

The apprentice flicked his ear as they started to slow, and the long warrior turned to tug himself onto a tree root. He, on the other paw, took the opportunity to just stand; Ratpaw’s legs burned, slightly, from all the mud pulling. 

Battle training? ”Okay,” he said easily, not thinking much about it. Webshadow must have his reasons, and it wasn’t like Ratpaw would’ve known what was usual, either way. 

The little tom looked at his paws, and then at the much larger, looming figure of Webshadow.

Ratpaw thought about it, and tilted his head.

”Should I leap at you?” he asked seriously, with all the guile of a kit who never had littermates to tackle him.
Back to top Go down
downfive
Former Staff
Former Staff
downfive

Pisces Horse

PostSubject: Re: Natural's Not In It [C]   Natural's Not In It [C] EmptyFri Nov 05, 2021 4:54 am

Ratpaw seemed willing enough for this. He'd been quiet most of the walk– though with a quick glance at his muddied legs, Webshadow could guess that was more about focusing on not drowning, and less about being quiet by nature. "You'll learn," he hummed off-handedly, and provided no further explanation for the statement.

"You can leap at me. Though," he paused, craning his neck even further to the side, "I would recommend not telling combatants what you plan on doing to them. I could just as quickly hop off this root–" to demonstrate, he left his perch, landing easily before continuing– "and you would go sailing stars-knows-where." His tail waved slowly as he looked Ratpaw over.

He could make the first move, force his apprentice on the defensive. The last spar he'd conducted he hadn't been involved in. Ratpaw wouldn't lose an eye fighting his own mentor, but still, every time Webshadow thought about lurching forward to make an attack his paws felt heavy and cold. Ratpaw would control the pace of the spar, then.

"You're young. I'm sorry if these are questions you haven't thought about. They are important, though," the tabby began slowly, starting to pace in a slow circle around the dark apprentice. "Hunting might have been easier, for your first time out. I think this will do you well. Now, questions." His expression was unreadable, entirely passive as bright eyes stared Ratpaw down. "If I were to attack you, what would you have done? Or, better question..." Webshadow lowered himself into a crouch and slowed his steps. In this new stalking position, with his ears dutifully pinned back and lip curled to bare teeth, he looked like he was properly stalking Ratpaw. Like the little tom was prey.

He hoped he didn't scare him.

"If you are cornered like this, being circled by a cat that wants your throat, what would you do? Show me. Or tell me. I will help work you through this. If you do decide to leap at me, though, do not use claws. I will not treat that lightly."

FishRogue
T2 Rogue
#2F8A7B
SilverhawkShadowClan
T4 Warrior
#845D56
RowansongRiverClan
T5 Elder
#68228B
RookflightRiverClan
T4 Warrior
#6082B6
PigeonpounceRiverClan
T2 Warrior
#20AED4
TwilightpawRiverClan
Apprentice
#5B31AD
[not pictured]
FalconkitWindClan
Kit
#E36630
[not pictured]
FoxkitSkyClan
Kit
#9964B1
[not pictured]

Art by Xaandiir!
Back to top Go down
ginger

ginger

PostSubject: Re: Natural's Not In It [C]   Natural's Not In It [C] EmptySat Nov 06, 2021 3:15 pm

”Ah, okay,” Ratpaw mewed easily, forgoing his suggestion. His mentor leapt down smoothly, too — Ratpaw definitely would’ve missed — and into a pace. Ratpaw’s ears rose curiously: the warrior’s steps were slow, graceful, and the little tom had to spin to follow.

Oh. I guess I would try to leap out of the way, too? Or — oh.

His fur fluffed up —maybe ridiculously, with pelt still kitten-soft — on instinct, backing several big steps in a quick moment. There was a little spark of fear in his chest, of alarm — what had Ratpaw done? But Webshadow wasn’t moving too close, or too fast: he was waiting, eyes sharp, expression frozen into menace.

It was scary. (Privately, he hadn’t thought the tom had it in him to be scary. Not that he couldn’t, but like... he might not have cared enough to ever be. Ratpaw was wrong!)

But then Webshadow asked a question.

Ratpaw kind of wanted to shake his head — the little tom didn’t want to leap at him now, obviously! But the warrior really didn’t seem in the mood to accept that; he felt far too serious, intent on Ratpaw’s response.

Uh. Self-defense, right… ”I’d go for your legs?” he tried. That was better than leaping. Ratpaw thought about it, a moment, and specified, ”Your forelegs.”

The little tom made an aborted movement — if this were real, he would try and bite, but he didn’t want to hurt his mentor. You only bit when you meant it (or you were eating). And Webshadow had seemed uncannily serious about no claws.

Mintpool | Thunderclan T3 Warrior | 45/90 | Shamrock #33cc66
Cinderkit | Shadowclan Kit | 10/30 | DarkGray | #87CEEB
Hollyshine | Skyclan Tier 3 Warrior | 50/120 | Crimson #cc0000

Back to top Go down
downfive
Former Staff
Former Staff
downfive

Pisces Horse

PostSubject: Re: Natural's Not In It [C]   Natural's Not In It [C] EmptyTue Nov 09, 2021 10:43 pm

Webshadow's steps never slowed, expression never changed as he listened to what Ratpaw said. There was an attempt at movement, and for a moment, the warrior's eyes flickered to watch the little tom's paws; would he actually come closer, try and strike? But he stopped as soon as he'd started. Webshadow's ear flicked.

Letting his expression relax back into something neutral, the tabby started, "Very good, Ratpaw. There's no right answer, but that's a very good one." He stretched himself back out to full height, though his circling continued. He was almost making himself dizzy.

"You could probably trip me, or at least distract me long enough with a blow to the legs to do some actual damage. Good answer." He thought, quirking his head, then added, "I'm impressed."

But Ratpaw needed to show he could do and not just speak. Still... he seemed just as hesitant as his mentor was. Tail waving low, Webshadow offered, "Now, I want you to attack me, Ratpaw. I won't hurt you. I won't make it hard on you, either. This is just training."

A bit unnconventional, maybe, but just training nonetheless.

"Do what you think is right. Better to learn now, with me, than later. I will not make the first move. You decide."
Back to top Go down
ginger

ginger

PostSubject: Re: Natural's Not In It [C]   Natural's Not In It [C] EmptyFri Nov 12, 2021 1:52 pm

Webshadow straightened to his full height — always impressive, to Ratpaw, who sometimes thought he would always be small — but with it came his expression, too. Smoothing into neutrality. It helped with nerves (as did the encouragement).

The warrior kept in motion, even still, but it was easier to follow him now that Ratpaw felt more alert, limbs looser. His mentor seemed calm, now, and collected — but Ratpaw’s instincts remembered the fang-like sharpness beneath, like smooth and unyielding stone sharpened to a point. Webshadow had set the tone for this session, and it made him... hesitant. Ratpaw had never thought of being in a serious confrontation, before. Not really. But still — the warrior seemed to soften, as well. This — if nothing else — would not be a serious fight. It was... practice.

Okay, Ratpaw thought with a nod, meeting his mentor’s eyes. I can do that.

He’d... assumed, maybe, that moves would be practiced. Like being told this is how you bite prey, this is how you get a little more height on your leap — yes, that’s it. Or like watching Duskpaw. But Webshadow’s insistence struck a chord with him, too. He wouldn’t have ever spoken to Murkystrike, or asked to be named or apprenticed; he’d been too avoidant, too... comfortable by himself, in his own world. Ratpaw would never have asked anyone to teach him, no matter how many others he’d watched do the same. But here he was — and it was natural, it was... good, when it was set into motion and he was swept along into it. Even if he was a little uncomfortable. Maybe some things, you just had to do, or they’d never be done, because you’d avoid it forever.

Ratpaw eyed his mentor, and thought of how effortlessly he had leaped away from the branch, as if from an imaginary enemy. It made him want to swallow. Yeah... I think I would’ve run from this, too.

Webshadow’s expectation weighed, his gaze heavy. No turning back.

Ratpaw’s tail swished. Just do it, he told himself, resolve settling. If he was going to do it, he was going to give it his all, and so he waited, watching.

And then he leaped.

It wasn’t a high leap so much as a leap into motion, and it wasn’t a far distance. Ratpaw dove for a leg almost desperately as it’s paw touched the ground and it was like an awkward collision of limbs, except he did it maw-first. Little teeth sank into fur without much force, but still like a hook above the elbow, as he threw all his weight and shoulder into Webshadow and pushed.

Ratpaw used Snap on Webshadow, dealing 7 damage (6 +1 Night Finesse) and costing 7 stamina.

Ratpaw
20/20 | 53/60

Webshadow
43/50 | 120/120
Back to top Go down
downfive
Former Staff
Former Staff
downfive

Pisces Horse

PostSubject: Re: Natural's Not In It [C]   Natural's Not In It [C] EmptyTue Nov 16, 2021 10:44 am

There was a stretch of silence between Webshadow's demands and Ratpaw's action. The apprentice seemed to be weighing all his options, mind working to catch up with his mentor's demands. It was long enough that Webshadow had started to wonder whether Ratpaw would act at all, or if the little tom would only make an attempt at attacking before retreating again.

The tabby's jaws parted, about to offer something close to encouragement, but Ratpaw made up his mind in that movement. He sent himself sprawling forward, teeth pressing against his leg and shoulder leveraging against his body. There was no act in the way Webshadow gave to the force, his long legs tangling between each other as he rolled into the mud. "Good," he rumbled easily as he twisted himself into a less awkward position.

"Good. Do you see how you did that?" Webshadow wrenched his free paw away from Ratpaw's gentle grasp, battering at the apprentice's ears to encourage him to let go. With his leg freed, Webshadow clambered back to his paws, backing away to give them both room to move.

"That was impressive, Ratpaw. I told you you were right about my legs." Webshadow loomed for just a moment before ducking in, throwing a soft paw against the apprentice's flank with the aim of shoving him off balance. "Can you do the same, from the defensive? Think fast. What is your first reaction? Counter, before I strike again."

Webshadow used Front Paw Blow, dealing 8 (7+1 Night Finesse) 'damage' and costing 5 SP.

Webshadow
43/50 | 115/120

Ratpaw
12/20 | 53/60
Back to top Go down
ginger

ginger

PostSubject: Re: Natural's Not In It [C]   Natural's Not In It [C] EmptyWed Nov 17, 2021 2:11 pm

Even though it was the whole point, Ratpaw was still surprised when it actually worked, and Webshadow’s leg and entire body gave beneath him. His heart spiked in alarm as the large tom tumbled, Ratpaw’s teeth’s grip jerking his neck and body. It threw him awkwardly, and made him ache a bit all over, but mostly the little apprentice was stunned. Perhaps he wasn’t that little, then.

Webshadow recovered quickly, regardless, and the young tom felt the leg jerk in his grasp, a gentle paw box his ears. Oh. He was still holding on, as if his life depended on the gentle grip, as it was all his mind could focus on at first. Obediently, the young tom let go, and slipped out of the tangle of limbs, staggering back to his feet. The warrior collected himself much more gracefully, seemingly unruffled. It was reassuring. Ratpaw hadn’t wanted to really hurt him.

Maybe he couldn’t — Webshadow’s fur was slicked a bit with mud, but he was no worse for wear.

The warrior seemed pleased with him, though. Yes! He thought, tail curling in satisfaction. Who would’ve known he could actually do it? Not Ratpaw!

It was a short-lived break, though, and even though Ratpaw’s ears twitched anxiously at the idea of defensive, he was more ready this time. A paw lashed for his side and Ratpaw felt it — jerked away from it, and though maybe it would’ve still hurt with claws, it wasn’t hard enough without them; Webshadow didn’t try very hard. With a quick movement, Ratpaw didn’t hesitate, and threw himself forward: eyes on a single, weight-bearing foreleg.

It was with more confidence but no less awkwardness that he collided with it, head-first, barely able to latch any teeth — he’d rammed into it clumsily, head and shoulder, and felt the sharp pang of his teeth clacking together hard.

Ratpaw used Dodge and Fight on Webshadow, evading Webshadow’s attack and successfully dealing 6 ‘damage’ (5+1 Night Finesse) at the cost of 15 SP.

Webshadow
37/50 | 115/120

Ratpaw
20/20 | 38/60

Last edited by ginger on Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:25 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Mistpelt

Mistpelt

Characters : Mistpelt
Clan/Rank : RiverClanWarrior
Pisces Dog
Number of posts : 15121

PostSubject: Re: Natural's Not In It [C]   Natural's Not In It [C] EmptyWed Nov 17, 2021 2:11 pm

The member 'ginger' has done the following action : Dices roll

'Effect Dice' : 5
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/profile?user=xxxmuffinheadxxx
downfive
Former Staff
Former Staff
downfive

Pisces Horse

PostSubject: Re: Natural's Not In It [C]   Natural's Not In It [C] EmptySun Nov 21, 2021 4:54 am

Surprisingly, the apprentice ducked out of the way of the blow, swaying to the side before ducking back in for Webshadow's legs. The older tom wheeled forward again, stumbling over Ratpaw's clumsy weight; he nearly went muzzle-first into the mud, but he twisted around to let his hip hit the earth before the rest of him could. The impact jolted his leg, and he grimaced, but it dulled into a distant throb soon enough.

"I didn't expect you to dodge like that," the tabby commented, a note of warmth to his mild tone. Wriggling whatever limbs had gotten caught between Ratpaw and his own body, he shoved himself to his paws, blinking down at his apprentice. Leaning forward, Webshadow gently gripped Ratpaw's scruff and hauled him to his paws so he wouldn't have to lay as a dazed heap in the mud. "For a very young apprentice, you are doing very well."

Stepping back, Webshadow gave his apprentice a long, examining stare before letting out a small, thoughtful noise. "I don't want to push you too hard during our first session together. You are welcome to come at me again, if you would like. But there will be other nights for us. You've worked hard so far." As if to prove it, he lifted a muck-coated foreleg and nodded towards it slowly. "Though, if I can say a few things before you make a decision.

Focus less on the legs going forward. It is a good idea, and you knocked me down both times– doing that in a real fight will get you somewhere. The first time, at least. After that, your movements will be predictable."
Webshadow wore his usual expression of neutrality, but blue-green eyes glittered with something between genuine concern and genuine amusement. He bowed his head low in another nod, then added gently, "I know I've been pushing you, but you won't learn how to fight like a real warrior tonight alone. That will take time, and you will learn quickly. You already are."

With that said, Webshadow shook off the mud clinging to his legs and relaxed his muscles, tilting his head. "Well, Ratpaw, what would you like to do? Continue fighting? Learn something else, tonight, maybe? Or just return home?"

FishRogue
T2 Rogue
#2F8A7B
SilverhawkShadowClan
T4 Warrior
#845D56
RowansongRiverClan
T5 Elder
#68228B
RookflightRiverClan
T4 Warrior
#6082B6
PigeonpounceRiverClan
T2 Warrior
#20AED4
TwilightpawRiverClan
Apprentice
#5B31AD
[not pictured]
FalconkitWindClan
Kit
#E36630
[not pictured]
FoxkitSkyClan
Kit
#9964B1
[not pictured]

Art by Xaandiir!
Back to top Go down
ginger

ginger

PostSubject: Re: Natural's Not In It [C]   Natural's Not In It [C] EmptyWed Nov 24, 2021 10:07 pm

Ratpaw was bracing himself for it, but it was still jarring as Webshadow went down. And part of his jaw twinged, too, even in the moments after Webshadow pulled away. When Ratpaw licked his mouth, the tom tasted blood — and part of him panicked, until he realized that it couldn’t be Webshadow’s. Ratpaw hadn’t hurt him, not enough to draw blood. It was just the clumsy tackle, and a cut on his tongue.

It stung, though, as he tried to soothe it. But then, Ratpaw felt teeth take his scruff — still a familiar gesture — and his paws instinctively found their own footing. And Ratpaw was looking up at his mentor, who looked surprisingly pleased, too.

Ratpaw listened as Webshadow explained, patiently, what was good about his performance and what he should change. His ear flicked; the tom had a very soothing voice, he noticed, when he set out to talk about something. And while Ratpaw tried to stay attentive, a lot of the young apprentice felt... tired. The little tom’s nerves had been higher than they’d ever been, during the practice, and now his body felt achy, too.

He was happy that Webshadow was pleased with him, though. Even if he didn’t entirely understand.

At the end of Webshadow’s assessment, given the question, Ratpaw slumped into a sitting position. He could attack Webshadow again, but... he also had time, too. Like he said. Maybe it was okay to take a break.

It wasn’t as bad as he feared it was, though — the fighting. But the little tom let himself consider the offer entirely... Do I want to know anything?

Thoughtful, he looked up at the dark-furred warrior. And he thought of Murkystrike, as well. It hadn’t occurred to him that he now had an adult — a warrior — who was tasked with answering his questions. And making sure he knew things, like fighting — but also here for him, asking him if there was something he wanted to know.

Ratpaw considered the tom again, who seemed... different, than most cats he knew. And a little scary, even now.

”You could tell me about you,” he mewed honestly — a little quietly. Ratpaw did not understand him; he wasn’t in the habit of understanding cats, but... he flicked his ear. Most cats told Ratpaw about themselves. It didn’t take much at all. But for Webshadow, he felt he had to ask, or there might never be answers at all; the tom content to leave things as they were. ”Am I your only apprentice?”

Ratpaw looked into Webshadow’s gaze, steadily, for the first time since the warrior had bared his fangs — and gave the young tom heightened nerves. ”Do you like training me to be a warrior? Is this how... it will always be?”

Back to top Go down
downfive
Former Staff
Former Staff
downfive

Pisces Horse

PostSubject: Re: Natural's Not In It [C]   Natural's Not In It [C] EmptySat Dec 04, 2021 9:38 am

It didn't take long for Ratpaw to settle back on his haunches after the offer, and Webshadow gave a concise nod. Taking it as his cue to relax too, the lanky tom sat back, too, but he kept his height about him, chin angled high as he regarded the apprentice.

He let Ratpaw speak, allowing a moment of quiet to speak before he sought to respond. "About me?" He echoed softly, something curious glittering in his eyes. "Interesting. I don't think I've ever been asked... about me, before." His fluffy tail swished, and Webshadow swiped a tongue over his maw thoughtfully. What was he supposed to say? Was Ratpaw really asking to know something in particular, or did he want whatever Webshadow had to offer? A rumble rose up in him, but it died as quickly as it came.

"I was born in ShadowClan, but I do not have any ShadowClan blood in me. Actually, I am Ivystar's grandson; I spent most of my moons as an apprentice dreaming about the river. My trip to the Moonstone even ended in a swimming lesson from StarClan, though I doubt I retained any of that." The tabby shifted his paws through the mud. He wasn't sure what had prompted that speech, but it seemed satisfactory. For good measure, he added: "I am just another warrior, Ratpaw. I am not particularly special. I feel I'm a bit odd, but I'm just another Clanmate."

He cleared his throat, hoping that answer was enough for Ratpaw. Really, without something more direct, he wasn't entirely sure what to say. To the rest of the apprentice's questions, though... Webshadow's nose wrinkled. "No, you are not my first apprentice." The hazy image of Cheetahdawn draped in her sister's pelt crossed his mind, and he recoiled from the thought.

"I have had one before you. Her name was Pantherpaw. She was smart, much like you. She–" Webshadow hadn't realized he flexed his claws until he felt mud working between his splayed toes. Sighing to steady himself, he relaxed his paws and muttered, "She did not receive her warrior name. I hope the same is not true for you."

Small claws raking through Cheetahdawn's eye bubbled to mind too, and Webshadow's lip curled. She had been promising, if a bit confusing– he couldn't help but wonder if he had done something wrong, as a mentor. So many things that could have been prevented...

But they were here now. And he was staring down at Ratpaw, who might have been afraid of him. He wondered if something would go wrong with this one, too. With a shake, he silently vowed to never let that happen.

"Yes, I like training you. As much as any cat can, I suppose. I do not think I am particularly good at training– I feel I am not very good at explaining things." Pushing himself to his paws, Webshadow tipped his head, beckoning for Ratpaw to follow. He began to weave his way through the marsh; not in any particular direction, and not towards camp, simply walking to walk. "How do you mean, Ratpaw? How what will always be?" A beat to consider, then he added softly, "How is it for you?"
Back to top Go down
ginger

ginger

PostSubject: Re: Natural's Not In It [C]   Natural's Not In It [C] EmptySun Dec 05, 2021 12:13 am

Unconsciously, Ratpaw leaned forward as his enigmatic mentor spoke.

The information about himself -- that, Ratpaw wasn’t expecting. But… not every cat in Shadowclan could’ve been born to Shadowclan blood… His tail wrapped around his paws, as the dark-furred apprentice re-evaluated his mentor’s form: it was still long, sleek, and dark, like a towering shadow. What he’d been told of Riverclan -- they were cats with long, colorful fur who basked in the sun… (’Kittypets, if they weren’t clan cats--’)

It didn’t fit. It seemed incompatible, to think of Webshadow anywhere but here: among cats in the night, with pelts that bled into the marsh and eyes so bright they cut through shadows. It was always, to his mother, something to embody. Something to be proud of. (Even if in Ratpaw, there always seemed to be something… missing.)

But… perhaps it was not, to Webshadow. Ivystar’s grandson?

Ratpaw wondered if that’s why he was so… odd, too. Idly, his gaze wandered.

...until his mentor’s words quieted, and Ratpaw’s ears snapped to attention. Oh… The young cat wasn’t sure what to think of that, except it made him stiffen. When he’d asked if Webshadow had any other apprentices, he had expected maybe a name or two. Not a name that had never been fully given.

But when the warrior beckoned for him to follow, the young apprentice rose to his paws. Ratpaw hesitated, a moment; ear twitching in thought. And then he bounded forward to walk by the larger tom’s shoulder. It was still a respectful distance, maybe a mouse-length, but the older tom wasn’t going to hurt him if Ratpaw stumbled, or anything. He kept closer.

(For all his apparent ferocity, Webshadow had been incredibly gentle in practice.)

And at his mentor’s final question, eyes looking down at him questioningly, Ratpaw thought Webshadow might be softer than he seemed.

”It’s hard,” the young tom confessed, thinking of the feeling. But that wasn’t quite right; more… ”I don’t like the idea of cats attacking me. Like you did. It... doesn’t feel good. But I meant, is it always — do you have to fight a lot? As a warrior?”

He thought of what he’d seen his mother do.

”Couldn’t I just hunt more? I don’t... think I’d be very good at the rest of it.” His tone quieted too, toward the end. But he wasn’t sure what to say, except that now the idea felt more real to him than before. After a moment, he added, ”And I don’t think you’re bad at training. I did learn a lot.”

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Natural's Not In It [C]   Natural's Not In It [C] Empty

Back to top Go down

Natural's Not In It [C]
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Warrior Clan Cats :: Areas of the Forest :: ShadowClan Territory-