Warrior Clan Cats

The future's in your paws. Shape it well.

Roleplay in a cat Clan of warriors. Based off the Warriors series by Erin Hunter. Takes place in an AU before the cats in the books existed.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome to WCC! Here are our latest announcements:
Activity checks take place on the 1st of the month. PM a staff member with the completed form if you missed it.
Newleaf is finally here, and the Clans hope to find reprieve from the tough Leaf-bare.
Gatherings take place on the 1st of the month; keep your eyes out for a staff member's post!
Please feel free to hit up any staff member if you have any questions!

if we dissolve without a trace, will the real world even care?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Holly
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Holly

Characters : | Leopardstar | Nightdancer | Lightningbreeze | Mistflower | Scarletflare |
Clan/Rank : | ShadowClan Leader | ThunderClan Warrior | SkyClan Warrior | SkyClan Warrior | RiverClan Warrior |
Gemini Cat
Number of posts : 6022

if we dissolve without a trace, will the real world even care? Empty
PostSubject: if we dissolve without a trace, will the real world even care?   if we dissolve without a trace, will the real world even care? EmptyTue 8 Sep 2020 - 14:35

It was an ordinary night, or at least as ordinary as a night in ShadowClan could ever be. As Mothglow led a small group of apprentices into the marsh, intending to teach them some of the more common herbs - the less time ShadowClan’s medicine cat spent restocking herb stores, the more she had to dedicate to healing; and so she thought it was a worthwhile endeavor - no one thought twice about it.

It wasn’t unusual behavior, after all; it was something she’d started doing moons ago, and kept up with the younger apprentices whenever she could spare the time. And it went well, at first: Mothglow was her usual chipper self, easily led on tangents by the playful and curious apprentices; and the apprentices in turn were at least pretending to pay attention as she explained the differences between leaves that all looked quite the same to them.

Dewpaw gathered cobwebs while telling the worst jokes he could think of, Littlepaw pointedly pretended he couldn’t hear a word his friend said as he stuck leaves to the silk, and Nightpaw stifled her laughter as she bundled leaves and flowers, hoping that they wouldn’t notice.

(They did, but that’s another story; one for another time and another place.)

(This story belongs to Mothglow.)

Mothglow felt something she couldn’t quite explain as she watched the trio of apprentices laughing and bickering in turn; something that made her heart swell and sink in the same breath. Perhaps it was that she’d never had such closeness. She had her family, her clan and her kin, and she loved them so dearly and so fiercely…

But Nightpaw’s eyes twinkled and she snorted a laugh as Littlepaw finally added his own terrible pun to their conversation, and Dewpaw smirked victoriously as he’d gotten them both to lighten up some; and she thought maybe it would have been nice to have such close friends.

She’d had her sister, once, but that felt like a lifetime ago now.

Still, there was no point in dwelling on what might have been; on all the things she might have been, might have done, in another life. This was the one she had chosen, after all, time and again, and she loved it as much as she loved anything.

“Do you want to see something?” she asked them, finding they’d gathered more than enough herbs for her satisfaction. They deserved some sort of a reward for such hard work, as far as she was concerned, though they’d taken their time with all the playfights and bickering. They were barely more than kits, after all, each of them recently apprenticed - not that she’d have minded either way; the presence of playful apprentices was always a welcome distraction from the monotony of sorting through herbs.

“Yes!” they chorused, because Mothglow might have been older, and not quite a warrior, but she was a medicine cat and often tagged along with warrior patrols - if she thought something was cool enough to share with some apprentices, it was bound to be super cool.

Smiling to herself, she led the way without another word; gesturing for them to follow her lead. It wasn’t too far from where they were, so the walk was pleasantly short.

The moon hung low in the sky as they approached her favorite place, an open space of the marsh where the starlit sky stretched out above them as far as any of them could see. Marshflowers were plentiful here, as were the fireflies; they blinked in and out of sight, lighting the earth as the stars lit the sky.

“This is my favorite place,” she told them, her voice soft where it was usually loud and bright. “Sometimes I think that maybe the fireflies are stars that stay close to us, that don't want to go so far as the ones in the sky do... And there's so many of them here! The flowers are a wonderful source of herbs, and they're pretty too. Mostly, though, I like to come out here to think - or sometimes to speak to our ancestors.”

“I thought we went to the Moonstone to do that,” Nightpaw interjected.

“We go to the Moonstone when we want them to answer us,” she explained.

Dewpaw, who seemed even more confused with that answer, chose that moment to cut in: “Wait, what about--”

As she glanced his way to offer an answer, she spotted something behind him that was swift approaching.

Badger.

“All of you,” she whispered urgently. “Behind me, now.”

Confused, the apprentices nonetheless heeded her order, and satisfied that they were safe she assumed a battle stance. In that moment she was glad she’d always tried to keep up with her warrior skills, as well as thankful for her large frame.

“Mothglow, please, you might get hurt!”

She turned back to give the apprentice what she hoped was a reassuring smile. “No one is going to get hurt, Nightpaw.”

Then, before the badger could have a chance to attack, she chose to strike. Her paws were swift and her claws were sharp, tearing through the badger’s fur and flesh indiscriminately; the only sound to escape her as she dove back to evade its own attack a furious hiss.

The fight was swift, brutal, and entirely one-sided; lasting only minutes, if that. The badger fell limp at her paws (dead or just unconscious, she wasn’t sure, either way it was no longer a threat to them), but Mothglow - who had, true to her word, managed to escape the battle relatively unscathed - didn’t turn to greet the apprentices waiting for her to lead them back to camp.

Instead, she laid silently in the marsh, looking up at the stars, and she stayed perfectly still.

(Of course, that was only what her young charges saw. The truth is never quite so simple: there are sad farewells and sweet reunions yet to be had.)

(Once again, this story belongs to Mothglow.)

The truth was as follows:

As a medicine cat, for much of her life Mothglow had walked the fine line between waking and dreaming, happily playing messenger to each side; and rather than any sort of sadness, as her thoughts began to fade she found that she was overall content with what she had accomplished in her life. There was no uncertainty, no worry - aside from a vague concern for the apprentices, who would surely find their way safely back to camp, anyhow - only a calm sort of anticipation as she wondered who was waiting to greet her on the other side.

I hope, was her last conscious thought, that I get to be a firefly.

The world, it seemed, had other plans.

“I’d hoped the next time I saw your unnecessarily fuzzy pelt, it wouldn’t be riddled with stars.” A rough voice mused from behind her, a sad sort of humor laced through the words.

Mentor. Mother. Leader. Thornstar had been many things to the medicine cat before her. She’d only recently found her way into the glimmering fields of Starclan, and she’d hoped to meet her daughter in her dreams. Turns out, Mothglow had other plans.

“And what in Magpiestar’s name are you doing here so soon, Furball? I see my time with you  in your apprenticeship wasn't entirely lost on you considering the state of that oversized rat, but I’m pretty sure you still had a few extra moons left in you.”

Mothglow’s smile was radiant, if the tiniest bit sheepish. ”So did I… But if this is the way things are, then that’s okay.” True to her word, she seemed perfectly content to stay where she was; beaming at the cat that held the title of her mother. “I had lots of time with everyone, after all, and... I missed you! Well, we all did, but...”

Thornstar stepped forward and rested her muzzle on the dark-furred she-cat’s forehead, her mismatched green gaze uncharacteristically soft. “Still, it’s good to see you, kit. You did well.”

Sootstrike stood not far from his heavily scarred sister, the resemblance between the two of them uncanny. Sporting his typical grin, the tom nodded to the she-cat before him. Last time he’d seen her, she’d still been so young. This time, she stood only a touch shorter than him. His remaining green eye flickered with mixed emotion. While he wasn’t exactly happy to see the medicine cat here just yet, the sight of his sister’s rare gentle side couldn’t help but amuse him.

“Aww, what a touchin’ reunion, but where’s my hug huh? What am I, crow-food? I’m feelin’ left out over here. You’re gonna break m’ heart over here, munchkin.”

”Sootstrike! You’re here, too?” It seemed like she was always surprised to see him - she supposed that was something she’d have to get used to, now. ”It’s good to see you, too!”

The tom ducked his head a little, his expression almost becoming sheepish. “Awe, quit bein’ so happy. That stuff’s contagious.”

“Is there room for us in the family reunion?” asked a familiar voice. Mothglow turned to see two of the cats who had guided her through her medicine cat apprenticeship - Lilacfall and Featherlight; the two who had greeted her when she chose the path of a medicine cat and again when she finally received her true name.

“Always,” she assured them.

“We’re so proud of you,” Lilacfall told her, touching her nose to the medicine cat’s shoulder. “Though it still feels too soon… You did what you thought was right, didn’t you?” At this, Mothglow nodded, and Lilacfall nodded approvingly. “Then that’s all that matters.”

Featherlight was next, touching noses with Mothglow, as a mentor to their apprentice. ”We don’t choose how much time we have, or when it comes to an end… We only choose what we do with it. And in that, I believe, you have done well.” She stepped back with a small, soft smile. “May ShadowClan have many moons of prosperity, even without your guidance.”

As Featherlight stepped away, a blueish white pelt became visible on the other side of the crowd. Silent Snows had watched the reunion quietly. Seeing these cats interact with the sister she’d forsaken so long ago... a dull throb flared up in her heart. She deserved that feeling, she was sure. At the same time, she couldn’t help but feel happy for her sister.

Look at her, she’d found a whole new family while they had been apart.

Realizing her sister’s deep orange gaze had fallen to her, Silent Snows simply nodded awkwardly and muttered a simple, “H-hey...”

Mothglow’s eyes lit up as she spotted her sister, and any lingering feelings, doubts and conflicted thoughts, all of that melted away in an instant as she launched herself forward to tackle her sister in an affectionate display. “Silent Snows! I missed you!”

It wasn't everyone she'd ever loved all in one place, but it was close, and it was more than enough for her. She'd seek out the others later, and reunite with the rest of her family; for now, at least, she was happy to stay like this.

(I'd like to thank Kari for her assistance with this!)

ShadowClan ~ ThunderClan ~ SkyClan ~ SkyClan ~ RiverClan ~ Nomad
Leader ~ Warrior ~ Warrior ~ Warrior ~ Warrior ~ Scout
Tier 5 ~ Tier 5 ~ Tier 3 ~ Tier 3 ~ Tier 1 ~ Tier 3
Back to top Go down
Honey Badger
Former Staff
Former Staff
Honey Badger

Characters : Current: Acornstar, Badgermask, Creamsky, Duckpaw, Eveningmoon - Old: Badgerfang, Silentherb, Stormstar, Stormeye, Twistedfoot, Badgerpaw, Nightcloud, Maplestar, Honeypaw, Bearmask, Ryefur, Owlheart, Morningpaw, Creamstorm, Smokeheart, Badgerpaw, Cinderpaw, Elmpaw, Stormpaw, Larksong, Amberpelt, Lionspark, Smokestripe, Mottleheart, Storm that Lights the Clouds, Leopardpaw, Honeytongue, Foxfire, Flintshard, Hayglow, Muddyleap, Theron
Clan/Rank : [A]ThunderClan T5 Leader [B] ShadowClan T5 Warrior [C] SkyClan T5 Warrior [D] RiverClan Apprentice [E] WindClan T2 Warrior
Gemini Buffalo
Number of posts : 7376

if we dissolve without a trace, will the real world even care? Empty
PostSubject: Re: if we dissolve without a trace, will the real world even care?   if we dissolve without a trace, will the real world even care? EmptyTue 8 Sep 2020 - 19:43

There was a heavy silence in the air as Flintstar padded through the marsh, his eyes narrowed as he remained focused on tracking a scent through the mud. There had been reports of a badger lurking on the territory - a couple patrols had all reported finding the scent but none, thankfully, had actually found the creature. Flintstar was determined however to put a stop to it before anybody could get hurt - it wasn't worth bringing anybody along with him...He had lives to spare. All of his Clanmates did not.

He was certain he was on the badger's trail, the scent slowly growing stronger and stronger...There was a cracking twig not far from him, his yellow eyes piecing the darkness as he saw a shape burst into view... And a terrified apprentice stumbled to a stop. "...Nightpaw," he said slowly, recognizing the ShadowClan apprentice. What was she doing here alone? He opened his mouth to pointedly ask the question but a couple other scents caught his attention - other cats...Blood.

He quickly spun and stormed the direction the apprentice had come from before the she-cat could speak a word. His fur prickled, quickly picking apart the different scents that had clung to the young apprentice. He had recognized the smell of Dewpaw and Littlepaw but also of Mothglow...And the scent of blood and the badger he was tracking. Finally he stepped into the clearing where the other two toms were standing, Dewpaw over the still body of the badger - it seems the leader's work had already been done for him, while Littlepaw stood over...

"...Mothglow." The leader came to a halt, blinking at he took in the sight before him. The medicine cat - his adopted sister - laid there...Peacefully. Barely a scratch on her but as both apprentices whipped around to stare at the leader with wide eyes, he slowly realized that there wasn't a breath in his sister's body. "...No," he said softly, lumbering over as Littlepaw bumbled out of the way to join Nightpaw who had followed the leader back to her friends. "You...You can't," he growled, lowering his head to stare at her face - at the mockingly peaceful smile she had. "I...I..." he paused, raising his head as he turned to look at the three apprentices. "...Go home. I will...I will bring Mothglow's body back to camp on my own."

Perhaps the apprentices would have argued but the cold stare from the leader silenced their voices before they could even make a sound. They all spared a glance and raced from the clearing - leaving the leader alone with the body of the predator and his sister. Suddenly it was as if a heavy weight had fallen on him as he slumped to the ground, hanging his head as he turned to stare back at Mothglow. "I...I told you. I am so tired of losing people. Of losing family. Why did..." He took in a deep breath, trying to wrestle with the feelings that were bubbling up in him. He hated it, he had always hated the pain that came whenever he lost his family. He could be so cold when it came to the death of his Clanmates but his family... He...

"Why couldn't you have stayed?" he hissed, feeling heat pricking at the corner of his eyes as he tensed his shoulders. "Why does... How did you even... Why do I have to keep losing people? Why does it have to hurt?" he muttered, raising a paw as he scrubbed at his eyes. "I hate emotions. You were suppose to be my heart, you were suppose to help me understand them. What..." his voice broke, taking in a shaky breath as he almost felt terrified by his own reaction at this. "What am I suppose to do now? I-I know the world isn't fair. Its cruel - I've always believed that but...Why can't that acknowledgement make this all hurt less?"he questioned, raising his head to the sky above - as if he realized that he was not going to get his answers from Mothglow's cold body.

There was a long silence as the leader sat there, waiting for answers he knew he was never going to get. He just... He was tired. So tired and yet he was so young. He had lost so much of his family - his parents, his uncle, his brother and sisters... Mothglow had been the last one of his family to truly know Thornstar. There were still so many stories he had hoped to hear. ...He...He should have warned the camp as a whole about the badger - he should have told nobody to go out. He should have... His ears slicked back, pushing himself to his paws.

...He needed Freckleface. He needed to hear her voice - to get her comfort. She...She would know how to help. His eyes fell onto the badger, carefully studying it. All the wounds...It had been Mothglow who had killed it, hadn't she? She had taken it out before she had fallen...Perhaps she had been a medicine cat, but she had also been a true ShadowClan warrior. He wasn't sure what to do without her. He sighed heavily, leaning down to grab her by the scruff. Slowly he managed to work her onto his back - unwilling to disrespect her by dragging her all the way back to camp. She would be carried, because she deserved nothing less.

And with a heavy heart and heavy paws, the ShadowClan leader lumbered home...

Quietly mourning the loss of his best friend.

if we dissolve without a trace, will the real world even care? ABC-Gang-Acornstar-2
Acornstar ~ Badgermask ~ Creamsky ~ Duckpaw ~ Eveningmoon
TC T5 Leader (80 HP - 170 SP) ~ SC T5 Warrior (70 HP - 160 SP) ~ SkC T5 Warrior (70 HP - 160 SP) ~ RC Apprentice (20 HP - 60 SP)~ WC T2 Warrior (35 HP - 70 SP*)
Rosybrown (Forest)/Sandybrown (Feral) ~ Indigo ~ Tan ~ Olive ~ Icyblue
*Disadvantage Stats
Back to top Go down

if we dissolve without a trace, will the real world even care?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Warrior Clan Cats :: Areas of the Forest :: ShadowClan Territory-
Jump to: