Warrior Clan Cats

The future's in your paws. Shape it well.

Roleplay in a cat Clan of warriors. Based off the Warriors series by Erin Hunter. Takes place in an AU before the cats in the books existed.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome to WCC! Here are our latest announcements:
Activity checks take place on the 1st of the month. PM a staff member with the completed form if you missed it.
Newleaf is finally here, and the Clans hope to find reprieve from the tough Leaf-bare.
Gatherings take place on the 1st of the month; keep your eyes out for a staff member's post!
Please feel free to hit up any staff member if you have any questions!

WCC College Of Art

Go down 
+3
FireDaisy
deer
Falcarolwing
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Falcarolwing

Falcarolwing

Characters : Ravenmist (R) | Crowspirit (C)
Clan/Rank : ShadowClan, WindClan
Taurus Rooster
Number of posts : 1217

WCC College Of Art Empty
PostSubject: WCC College Of Art   WCC College Of Art EmptySun 26 Jan 2020 - 12:46

Hey y’all! I’ve noticed a lot of younger, aspiring artists joining the site recently, and I had the idea of teaching some art classes, focused around WCC!

WCCCA will cost nothing but your time, although some kind of digital art setup is recommended! This is low-commitment, and you’re able to learn on your own schedule!

HOW IT WORKS:
When a student first joins WCCCA, they will be assigned to a group, of Kit, Apprentice, or Warrior. You’ll be able to rank up through completing lessons and improving your art skills! Here are some short descriptions of the groups and sub-levels:

Kit
Smol Bean:
Just beginning to learn the basics of art. You might have colored in lines and made doodles before, but never really drawn seriously.
Bigger Child:
Just starting to really get into drawing. Understands the very basics of anatomy and has made a few finished pieces before. Knows how to draw with underlying structure and has cleaner, if a bit wobbly, lines. Can draw from front and side view, in standing, sitting, and laying positions.
Apprentice
Young Apprentice:
Knows the basics of drawing, and is beginning to develop their own unique style. Has a mostly consistent, readable style. Can capture basic expression beyond “happy”, “sad”, and “mad”. Knows how to draw from 3/4 view in standing, sitting, and lying positions. Beginning to learn how to shade. Learning how to draw from a reference.
Experienced Apprentice:
Is beginning to learn more advanced poses and pieces. Has a more confident, consistent style with clean, steady lines. Can draw more complicated poses like jumping and rolling on the back. Has a decent understanding of anatomy. Can turn the entire body 3/4 in most poses, not just the head. Is beginning to expand from just cats and dogs
Warrior
Young Warrior:
Is confident in their style and line technique. Can draw complex poses from several angles, and is just beginning to work on drawing from above and below. Can do more complex shading with several layers.
Experienced Warrior:
Is learning the nuances of anatomy and shading, and is very confident in their style, which should be clean and consistent. They can draw just about any pose from any angle, and can work with many body shapes and fur types.
Senior Warrior:
At this point, I can’t help you anymore. If for some reason at this stage you still want to improve, go and find a professional artist or illustrator who can give you pro instruction. I congratulate you!

JOINING:
In order to join, please just pm me saying you’d like to! DO NOT post asking to join, as I don’t want this to get cluttered with join requests. Anyone and everyone is welcome to join, all you have to do is provide me with links to recent pieces of your art (No bases, please, I’d like to see your own lineart!) so that I can place you! If you could give me your preferred prefix as well, that’d be great! My goal is for y’all to have fun, and being able to rank up with an actual warrior name will hopefully add to that! No prefix restrictions other than be appropriate! You can totally be sparklepaw or hamburgerkit if you want ^^

While a digital art setup is preferred, traditional art with a pencil and paper is just fine as well! However, I do ask that you specify you’d like to do traditional instead of digital.

STUDENT LIST:
KITS:
-Deerleap (Smol Bean)
-PikaDaisy (Smol Bean)
APPRENTICES:
-KittyKatz (Shinepaw) (Young)
-Chickenwing (Experienced)
-Snickerdoodle (Experienced)
-Feather (Dovepaw) (Experienced)
-Swiftey (Experienced)
WARRIORS:
- Smiling Advocate Ink (Inkblaze) (Young)
-

WCC College Of Art Crowsp10
Ravenmist | Blind | She-cat | T2 ShadowClan Deputy (Disabled) | 95/250 | 0000ff
Crowspirit | Tom | WindClan Tier 2 Warrior | 45/160 | 003300
Ospreypaw | She-cat | ThunderClan Apprentice | 20/80 | cc9900

Last edited by Falconwing on Fri 6 Mar 2020 - 9:55; edited 8 times in total
Back to top Go down
Falcarolwing

Falcarolwing

Taurus Rooster

WCC College Of Art Empty
PostSubject: Re: WCC College Of Art   WCC College Of Art EmptySun 26 Jan 2020 - 12:55

Kits

-Deerleap (Smol Bean)
-PikaDaisy (Smol Bean)
-
-

Welcome, kits! The goal of this level is to teach basic anatomy, learn the fundamentals of posing, and to help you start developing your own art style!

Smol Beans can expect to learn how to use underlying structure, and common beginner mistakes. You will get a lot of one-on-one teaching and help, and will begin by learning how to draw a basic feline, then putting your own twist on it and making a bit of character art! You’ll learn how to draw from multiple angles, and how to make a head at 3/4 view. Smol Beans will also learn things like basic color theory and design!

The main test for a Smol Bean to pass into a Bigger Child is to design and make a small art page of their own unique character, demonstrating everything they’ve learned in the course! Expect the Smol Bean course to take anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months, depending on how often you practice.

Bigger Children can expect to be put to the test more, and being pushed to step outside of their comfort zone, trying new poses and learning how to do expressions. They’ll study anatomy much more, and work on making their style clean, readable, and their own! While Smol Beans learn basic anatomy and placement through copying a simplistic style, Bigger Children are expected to begin developing a style all their own! You’ll still get plenty of help and support throughout the process! They’ll learn about basic composition techniques such as the rule of thirds and planes, as well as continuing their study of basic character design.

The main test for a Bigger Child to pass into a Young Apprentice and get their ‘paw suffix is to take an early piece of art, from before they started the course, and to redraw it, changing anything they see fit to show off what they’ve learned. From making the pose more unique to updating the color or patterns, this is their time to shine!

Kits are welcome to collaborate and learn from their peers, but if you want to go it alone that’s just fine!

Last edited by Falconwing on Fri 31 Jan 2020 - 9:38; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Falcarolwing

Falcarolwing

Taurus Rooster

WCC College Of Art Empty
PostSubject: Re: WCC College Of Art   WCC College Of Art EmptySun 26 Jan 2020 - 12:57

Apprentices

-KittyKatz (Shinepaw) (Young)
-Chickenwing (Experienced)
-Snickerdoodle (Experienced)
-Feather (Dovepaw) (Experienced)
-Swiftey (Experienced)

Welcome, apprentices! The goal of this level is to gain confidence in your style, master anatomy and character design, and get a good feel for perspective and posing!

Young Apprentices can expect to be studying anatomy specifically, finding balance in their style and correcting “off” elements in any given piece of art. They’ll be studying intermediate techniques in character design as well, such as spacing and value. They’ll be working on background composition and gaining confidence in their own style. They’ll learn the basics of shading as well!

The main test to move onto Experienced Apprentice is to create a full illustration featuring at least two characters and a background, in active poses. The goal of all WCCCA tests is more to show off what you’ve learned and less to show that you’ve learned enough, so students are encouraged to be creative with this!

Experienced Apprentices will focus on perfecting their anatomy and improving perspective and posing. They’ll begin to learn how to draw subjects from above and below, how to draw characters interacting, and how to become comfortable in multiple styles, broadening their horizons. They’ll learn advanced character design techniques and background composition. They’ll study more advanced shading techniques and push their style.

The test to earn their warrior name is potentially the largest of the tests in WCCCA. To do this, their task is to design a set of three original characters, and make a piece for each. Backgrounds do not have to be included in these illustrations, but they should still show a story behind them, versus just being a character floating. The last art piece will be a full illustration of all three characters, with at least two touching each other in some way.

Apprentices are welcome to work with and bounce off of their peers, but if you wish to do it on your own feel free to!

Last edited by Falconwing on Fri 6 Mar 2020 - 9:55; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
Falcarolwing

Falcarolwing

Taurus Rooster

WCC College Of Art Empty
PostSubject: Re: WCC College Of Art   WCC College Of Art EmptySun 26 Jan 2020 - 12:59

Warriors

- Smiling Advocate Ink (Inkblaze) (Young)
-
-

Welcome, Warriors! The goal of this class is to perfect mistakes in your art, master the techniques of different styles, and learn to teach the next “generation” of artists! Experienced and Senior warriors will often be asked to teach Kits and Apprentices, to put their practice into use!

Young Warriors can be expected to draw a lot, and, if they have a more cartoony style, master realism, or vice versa. Being able to understand both kinds of styles and master them is a top level in technical skills, and should be an achievement any artist is very proud of! Young Warriors have usually been serious artists for four or more years, and have mastered most techniques of shading and anatomy. Some advanced character design may be taught, depending on where the artist is experienced in that field. Most Young Warriors have expanded their field from cats and dogs into things like birds, horses, dragons, humans, and more!

The test to pass onto Experienced Warrior is to design and draw a character in at least three other artist’s styles!

Experienced Warriors are considered high-level artists, and very little of their training will go to art, just a few projects to polish off the skills of perspective and composition. Their main goal is to learn how to teach more inexperienced artists, and help them along their journey.

The test for an Experienced Warrior to pass into a Senior Warrior is to be assigned a kit or apprentice, and teach them, solo, until they graduate to the next level. Think of a mentorship program. This can be started at any time throughout the artist’s position as an Experienced Warrior.

Senior Warriors, I don’t trust myself to teach. Y’all are just at a far higher level than me, and are welcome to request being assigned a younger artist or two to teach! This is the highest level, and if for some reason you want to improve, find a professional artist who’s been in the field much longer than me. Consider yourself graduated!

Last edited by Falconwing on Thu 6 Feb 2020 - 18:33; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Falcarolwing

Falcarolwing

Taurus Rooster

WCC College Of Art Empty
PostSubject: Re: WCC College Of Art   WCC College Of Art EmptySun 26 Jan 2020 - 13:00

First Assignment!

I’d like to start off light, with some basic skills and getting to know y’all’s art!
Assignments do not have due dates, simply post them here whenever you’re finished and we’ll move onto the next soon!

Smol Bean Group
Your first assignment is to draw a cat. It can be in any pose you like, it could be a character on here, a real life cat, anything! However, I don’t want you to look at anything or reference. Just draw from memory, freehand it. I’d like to see where you are in technical skills! I know this is new to you, and you usually use linearts, but I’d love to see you try!

Experienced Apprentice Group
You all have wonderful styles, and I’d like to learn more about them, so that I can give you pointers to the best of my ability. Your task is to create a piece of art, and show the process, from the idea, finding a reference image (If you use them), sketch, all of it! My only requirement is that it should be a fullbody. It’s your choice as to whether to shade or add a background!

Last edited by Falconwing on Fri 31 Jan 2020 - 9:39; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
deer

deer

Taurus Rat
Number of posts : 1466

WCC College Of Art Empty
PostSubject: Re: WCC College Of Art   WCC College Of Art EmptyFri 31 Jan 2020 - 8:54

Here ya go!

Assignment 1

Guys, please don’t judge. I’m new to drawing,

WCC College Of Art C8c1c310

#44B3C7

Back to top Go down
Falcarolwing

Falcarolwing

Taurus Rooster

WCC College Of Art Empty
PostSubject: Re: WCC College Of Art   WCC College Of Art EmptyFri 31 Jan 2020 - 9:46

It looks great, Deerleap! You have all the basic parts there, and you’re at a good starting point! I can really see you improving quickly!

Mind if I ask what drawing program you use?

Back to top Go down
FireDaisy

FireDaisy

Characters : Dapplekit (D)
Clan/Rank : Skyclan Kit (D)
Libra Goat
Number of posts : 2679

WCC College Of Art Empty
PostSubject: Re: WCC College Of Art   WCC College Of Art EmptyFri 31 Jan 2020 - 9:55

Here is a quick little sketch of SwiftBranch (I’m better on paper so sorry if this is rough)

WCC College Of Art F0fb5410

10/30

Skyclan
Back to top Go down
https://firedaisy365.deviantart.com
Falcarolwing

Falcarolwing

Taurus Rooster

WCC College Of Art Empty
PostSubject: Re: WCC College Of Art   WCC College Of Art EmptyFri 31 Jan 2020 - 9:57

Aw, it’s super cute! Fantastic work!

Back to top Go down
deer

deer

Taurus Rat
Number of posts : 1466

WCC College Of Art Empty
PostSubject: Re: WCC College Of Art   WCC College Of Art EmptyFri 31 Jan 2020 - 11:07

I use Sketchbook- an IOS app on my a iPad. I actually usually use my stylus, but I couldn’t find it.

#44B3C7

Back to top Go down
Snickerdoodle
Former Staff
Former Staff
Snickerdoodle

Characters : (W)oolywing, (B)lackbear, (Bu)tterfly
Clan/Rank : (W) RiverClan T3 Warrior, (B) SkyClan T4 Warrior, (S) T1 Loner
Aries Rooster
Number of posts : 829

WCC College Of Art Empty
PostSubject: Re: WCC College Of Art   WCC College Of Art EmptySat 1 Feb 2020 - 15:03

Here's my drawing! The character is one I made up just now lol. Program is Medibang Paint, took me around 5 ish hours!
WCC College Of Art Slep10
Process and refs:

Blackbear of SkyClan-50/120
Lousekit of ShadowClan-10/30

*=disabled
**=unborn
Back to top Go down
Falcarolwing

Falcarolwing

Taurus Rooster

WCC College Of Art Empty
PostSubject: Re: WCC College Of Art   WCC College Of Art EmptySat 1 Feb 2020 - 15:29

Wonderful, and very interesting! Thank you!

(I use MediBang, too, it’s awesome!)
Back to top Go down
Chickenwing

Chickenwing

Characters : Flamethrower
Clan/Rank : Rogue [T1]
Sagittarius Snake
Number of posts : 1212

WCC College Of Art Empty
PostSubject: Re: WCC College Of Art   WCC College Of Art EmptyWed 5 Feb 2020 - 20:45

I've finally finished it! Took me 4 hours and 31 minutes according to Krita, and I couldn't think of a background, but it's done!

WCC College Of Art Projec13

That's the finished result, with all the shading and everything. Unfortunately, I'm terrible at cell shading and it freaks me out, so I went with softer shading.

I didn't use many reference images, but I've put all the ones I did use down here:
Spoiler:

for the process, it's a little bit more complicated than the images I've made, but here's the sketch and the lineart:

WCC College Of Art Projec12
The thing with the head is why I used reference images, because cat heads are hard to do for me.

WCC College Of Art Projec10

Basically, I just muddled around with shading and things, and chicken-scratched my way around the line-art because drawing smoothly on a tablet is hard. I used separate layers for the flat, the shading, and the highlights, and a couple of misc ones for the eyes, along with a separate one for the line-art. The composition thing along the bottom was for if I did a background, but I... couldn't really think of anything, so I just left it.

And... yeah. Basically, my process is pretty much just chaos.

pics of me cats:

In order from left to right
Flamethrower
Ded/Missing:
Swansong | Rift | Cleft Spyre | Sablepaw/Lirista | Minkstar | Murkpaw
Back to top Go down
https://www.deviantart.com/piiec
Falcarolwing

Falcarolwing

Taurus Rooster

WCC College Of Art Empty
PostSubject: Re: WCC College Of Art   WCC College Of Art EmptyThu 6 Feb 2020 - 9:16

It looks great! Thank you, Chickenwing! I’ll probably put up the second assignment soon! Very cool to see your notes and how you take so many things into account!

Back to top Go down
Inky Pawprints

Inky Pawprints

Characters : Stormkit ♀
Clan/Rank : WindClan / Kit
Leo Pig
Number of posts : 2307

WCC College Of Art Empty
PostSubject: Re: WCC College Of Art   WCC College Of Art EmptyFri 7 Feb 2020 - 22:12

Decided to do a quickie for this one!!! Not sure of how long it took me, as it is a rather simple black/white ink drawing that I made during the span of sparse quick breaks at work and "colored" quickly at home.

This is Ebonykit of FotW, and no, you're not seeing double, she does have 4 ears

WCC College Of Art IMG_20200207_235642

References

I tried to use as little references as possible, so I only have a couple:

Ref 1:
Ref 2:

Progress

Random Pose Idea Sketching:
Quick Lineart Sketching:
Lineart, Add Markings:
Dirty Inking:
Cleaning And Coloring:

[10HP || 30SP]