Warrior Clan Cats

The future's in your paws. Shape it well.

Roleplay in a cat Clan of warriors. Based off the Warriors series by Erin Hunter. Takes place in an AU before the cats in the books existed.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome to WCC! Here are our latest announcements:
Activity checks take place on the 1st of the month. PM a staff member with the completed form if you missed it.
Newleaf is finally here, and the Clans hope to find reprieve from the tough Leaf-bare.
Gatherings take place on the 1st of the month; keep your eyes out for a staff member's post!
Please feel free to hit up any staff member if you have any questions!

acquainted with the night [solo]

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Holly
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Holly

Characters : | Leopardstar | Nightdancer | Lightningbreeze | Mistflower | Scarletpaw |
Clan/Rank : | ShadowClan Leader | ThunderClan Warrior | SkyClan Warrior | SkyClan Warrior | RiverClan Apprentice |
Gemini Cat
Number of posts : 5984

acquainted with the night [solo] Empty
PostSubject: acquainted with the night [solo]   acquainted with the night [solo] EmptySun Nov 10, 2019 8:11 pm

In the wake of Silent Snows' death, Mothglow slipped out of camp to watch the stars. It was something she knew her sister had loved, once, if not any longer.  She had sat vigil the night before - this was something else, something special. They had talked before her death, after all, and she felt certain they would talk again.

Mothglow felt closer to her sister here, in the marsh lit by the softly glowing stars and fireflies, than she had in a long time.

(Fireflies, she had believed when she was still only a kit, were stars that stayed close to the ground. She'd thought that maybe some of the stars didn't like the distance, that perhaps they wanted to stay close to those they'd loved before. She wondered now if there was some semblance of truth to that thought; but in the end it didn't matter all that much. Though their ancestors walked the stars in the sky, the glowing bugs filled a place in her heart just the same.)

Still, the thought was comforting; that the reach of the stars could be felt here when awake as easily as her dreams.

She'd made a promise to herself when she received her medicine cat name, but before she could keep it she needed to explain it.

That was what had brought her here tonight.

She found herself treating this moment as something special and almost sacred. Closing her eyes, blinking slowly, and ensuring that the atmosphere felt right, that the moon had almost reached its full height, that the stars still glowed, that her firefly friends hadn't left her yet despite the chill...

Mothglow spoke, voice no more than a whisper, to the sky. "Silent Snows? I miss you."

It wasn't what she'd come to say, but it was a greeting nonetheless.

"After dad died, I thought... There was nothing good left in my world anymore. Like nothing was right. It felt like there wasn't anything I could do to change the future, like I couldn't help anyone; that we were all doomed from the start and there was no point to it all..." The darkest time of her life, it pained her to remember. But in the end, there had been a light piercing through. "But I was wrong. There was good in the world before him, and there was good in the world after he left it... And part of that good was you, but now you've left too."

She sat, not quite still but not quite moving, staring up at the stars and blinking the tears from her eyes.

"You were a light in my life. Even when I didn't see it, or didn't appreciate it, the light was there... And now it's not. And the world is a little bit darker for having lost it."

Her world had gone completely dark when she first learned the news; and though the light she'd lost had returned in time, it felt a little less bright after that.

(She wasn't sure that feeling would ever go away.)

"I don't know what I'm going to do... Now that you're not here."

Silent Snows' quiet presence had often been easy to miss, yes, but it was almost always there; flashes of panic and anger cast aside.

Now that it wasn't, it was like something was missing. There was something left without it, yes, but something not quite whole any longer.

(It was like she'd lost a part of herself, too.)

"But I made a promise to myself... A promise I intend to keep. I won't let myself get lost again."

Recalling many misadventures that had involved her getting lost, she felt the need to amend that statement.

"Not in the way you're probably thinking... But when dad died, I felt like I was lost in the dark. Like there was no light at all and I couldn't see or find my way out, and it just seemed to stretch on like that forever... I won't let myself get lost like that again."

The marsh under her paws reminded her that, though her gaze was fixed firmly on the sky, she remained among the living.

(And there she would stay, until the time came for her to go; save for the fleeting moments where she walked that fine line between dreams and reality, where their ancestors could speak with the living.)

"So, what I wanted to tell you was... If it ever seems like I don't miss you, I promise I do. I don't think I'll ever stop missing you. But I have to keep walking. I can't live my life in the past any more than I can live my life in dreams..."

(She supposed that it could be said that she did live her life in dreams. But she chose to believe that fine line between dreams and the waking world was the line on which she was meant to live, never completely losing herself in one or the other.)

"So I'll keep walking, but I promise that I won't forget you. And I promise I'll do my best to make sure no one else does, either."

She didn't bother with a goodbye. There wasn't any need for one, when she already knew they'd meet again.

That said, she waited. Fireflies danced, stars shone in the sky, and no voices sounded but her own and that of the marsh.

(That was alright. She didn't expect an answer.)

It wasn't until the night drew to a close that she rose, returning to camp with a weight lifted from her mind and her heart.

(Maybe it was just her imagination, but the dawn seemed somehow brighter than the last.)

ShadowClan ~ ThunderClan ~ SkyClan ~ SkyClan ~ RiverClan ~ Nomad
Leader ~ Warrior ~ Warrior ~ Warrior ~ Apprentice ~ Scout
Tier 5 ~ Tier 5 ~ Tier 3 ~ Tier 3 ~ Tier 0 ~ Tier 3
Back to top Go down

acquainted with the night [solo]
Page 1 of 1