Warrior Clan Cats

The future's in your paws. Shape it well.

Roleplay in a cat Clan of warriors. Based off the Warriors series by Erin Hunter. Takes place in an AU before the cats in the books existed.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome to WCC! Here are our latest announcements:
Activity checks take place on the 1st of the month. PM a staff member with the completed form if you missed it.
Newleaf is finally here, and the Clans hope to find reprieve from the tough Leaf-bare.
Gatherings take place on the 1st of the month; keep your eyes out for a staff member's post!
Please feel free to hit up any staff member if you have any questions!

Up With the Birds [Closed]

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Ripped
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Ripped

Characters : Auburnflare; Littlesplash; Heatherfrost; Crabpaw | Copper was here <3 Rom 2 c:
Clan/Rank : Tier 2 Warrior - Thunderclan [A]; Tier 2 Medicine Cat - Riverclan [L]; Apprentice - Windclan [H]; Apprentice - Shadowclan [C]
Cancer Buffalo
Number of posts : 6664

Up With the Birds [Closed] Empty
PostSubject: Up With the Birds [Closed]   Up With the Birds [Closed] EmptyThu Aug 15, 2019 5:36 pm

The birds they sang, at break of day
Start again I hear them say
It's so hard to just walk away...
Send me up to that wonderful world
And then I'm up with the birds

Every step seemed to be a little more faltered than the last. Harder, and harder, nearly impossible. But the journey wasn't over yet, there was still more to come. Sparkfrost wasn't sure where he was headed, where these shaking paws were searching for, and yet he trusted the direction in which he was being guided. His throat was raw and pained by the affliction that had sent him fleeing from the clans. This sickness, this disease, seemed determined to strip him of the soul that supported this failing frame. It was working on it, that was for sure. He almost brought himself to laugh but to do so would bring about another cough, which would cause his head to swim and vision to blur. No, he had to suppress the joy that had bubbled up within his very being since he'd been born. Where was it again? The twolegplace was what they said. But that wasn't where he was headed now. This was beyond the forest, some place that he wasn't sure existed and that he had no picture of. It was to be his resting place. The paradise he sought above all the noise within the forest and within his head.

Stumbling.

Stumbling.

Another step. Another falter.

It was a miracle that he made it this far. Perhaps Starclan was watching and had helped to carry his paws, lighten his step. Leaving Dacepaw behind had added some stony weight to his pawsteps. Would Dappleshine know of his fate soon? Dwelling on it too long had become a trouble better left unattended to. He'd seen life in the forest heal. After the flood, everything had been flattened and dredged in water and debris. But beauty had a way of returning to things. In his debate-ably short life, there had been so many wonderful cats and wonderful things. From the wreckage of a bad circumstance and his struggle to find himself had come the bond with Dappleshine, and together they bore Dacepaw. In his delirium, a smile crossed the calico's maw. The sight of him was truly something to behold in that moment. A bedraggled being of a cat, feet stuttering along, with a goofy and grinning expression. Wheezing gasps escaped his lungs every so often and a chorus of coughs would often follow. But determination drove him along.

Sparkfrost was headed for a better place. Somewhere out there.

The path seemed to take an eternity and it seemed that what he was searching for would never come. But like the hopelessness of a broken and lost mind, new strength seemed to blossom in its stead. Finally, ahead. Maybe it was the blurred nature of his vision or a delirious willing of the sick mind. There is was. The hallowed out shell of a fallen elm lay on its side after what seemed to be seasons upon seasons of rest. There was just enough room to curl up. Soft moss had made the exterior its resting place. There was a little stream that seemed to distantly branch from Riverclan's currents. At some point he was certain he had stumbled past the border, ended up past their lands. Although the tom hadn't paid it hardly any attention. None of that mattered. This was his place. His final adventure. It seemed like a tiny and undisturbed paradise on the edge of existence. Some berries clung to the edges of some leaves on low-bearing bushes where mice had not yet disturbed in several places.

With his shaking claws, he tore ragged strips of moss and collected them in a semi-coherent mass. A resting bed. Settling in, he stared over the stream, which was only a tailength wide and took in the flowers that blossomed around. This was the place. It was a wonderful place. Sparkfrost closed his eyes and listened to the chirp of birds that outweighed his ragged exhalations. For a while he thought that would be the last thing that spoke to him. Until there was a soft rustling at about midday. There was a figure there with a similarly colored pelt. Something familiar. He found himself mumbling dreamily to the other cat.

"Oh, hello. Have you come to hangout? The prey here is nice."

Up With the Birds [Closed] Img_0310

⌘ Auburnflare // Tier 2 Warrior // Thunderclan // SteelBlue ⌘
✿ Littlesplash // Tier 2 Medicine Cat // Riverclan // MediumAquamarine ✿
⁂ Heatherfrost // Tier 1 Warrior // Windclan // MediumOrchid ⁂
✲ Crabpaw // Apprentice // Shadowclan // FireBrick ✲

☆☆☆ Ask me about my past characters for lore, or Moonstone Journeys. ☆☆☆

Back to top Go down
Jay Bird
Former Staff
Former Staff
Jay Bird

Characters : [F] Fernpaw ; [O] Oakpaw
Clan/Rank : [F] Windclan ; [O] Riverclan
Pisces Dragon
Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: Up With the Birds [Closed]   Up With the Birds [Closed] EmptyThu Aug 15, 2019 7:17 pm

How many have been she travelling? What was her mission after all? The she-cat had been pulling over for so long that it was hard to say. Hailsong just kept moving, one step after another, far away from her home, far away from her clan. She had been tracking this fox killer of kits for day and night, hoping to give it an end before it could raid over more kits in the nursery. That was her duty. But not her duty as a warrior but the one her father gave him: to be a shelter, a protector of the young ones. She had been doing that for so long after losing so many kits to sickness and flood but this felt different. As Jaystar's daughter, the she-cat felt that new responsibility on her shoulders and if that fox was still around, knowing where her clanmates were... no kit would be safe.

The dilute calico made her way in this unexplored land until she caught a scent. Actually... a bunch of scents. Fox, death, sickness and... a cat? Curious and feeling a weight in her lungs, the warrior walked slowly, following the death scent first and what she found... was both relieving and disgusting. The fox she had been looking for so long was now dead, being eating by crows. The sickness smell was stronger on it and Hailsong had to step back and cover her nose because of how awful it was. The Riverclan warrior turned her back on the fox and walked away just to rest a few minutes away on the side of a stream. She looked at her reflection, wondering if this mission was all in vain since that predator was destined to die anyway. Was her goal just a fake one to escape from her inner troubles? To run away from a camp where her father lived no longer? She shook her and took a sip of the clear water, trying to clear up her thoughts. But something caught her attention.

Hailsong lifted her head just to notice an elm log and inside of it, something like fur. The experienced warrior moved slowly, hiding between reeds and bushes until she was close enough to see the mysterious subject. And... it was a surprise. She took a step away from her hiding place, meeting up with her former clanmate. She looked down to him and with her nose, she noticed the scent of sickness as well around him. "Sparkfrost?" She whispered, getting closer to the sleepy tom. The small she-cat walked to him and checked over his body. She was no medicine cat but considering her time in the medicine cat den looking after her daughter, she could tell the tom was gravely sick. The dilute she-cat laid down in front of him, meeting his green eyes. "Do you... remember me?" She mewed.

Oaksoul of Riverclan ↠↠ Tier 2 Warrior ↠↠ #3333cc
Ferntwist of Windclan ↠↠ Tier 1 Warrior ↠↠ #0099cc
Up With the Birds [Closed] Signat14
Back to top Go down
Ripped
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Ripped

Characters : Auburnflare; Littlesplash; Heatherfrost; Crabpaw | Copper was here <3 Rom 2 c:
Clan/Rank : Tier 2 Warrior - Thunderclan [A]; Tier 2 Medicine Cat - Riverclan [L]; Apprentice - Windclan [H]; Apprentice - Shadowclan [C]
Cancer Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: Up With the Birds [Closed]   Up With the Birds [Closed] EmptySat Aug 17, 2019 9:34 am

It all seemed so surreal, so distant. Sparkfrost though if he moved at all, he might disturb the stillness of it. Too peaceful. How funny it was too bear witness to such undeserved and surreal perfection when destruction was manifested within. What sickness bred and writhed within him clutched his lungs, his throat, his very being. And for a moment he almost came to the realization that the very thing that was to be the end of him had also fogged his mind. The tom shook his head in a futile attempt to shake it away as he stared into the twin pools of light that were the molly's eyes. A second passed, and it appeared he had lost himself in the depths of her gaze and forgotten his bearings. That mostly came from the scrambling of his memory, searching it's recesses for a name. Previous Sparkfrost would have picked it out in a moment, but that tom had abandoned him after the dog attack. After getting the scars his pelt now bore.

"Hailsong."

He said, assuredly. A pleased smile parted his maw for a moment. This was one of the many Riverclan warrior's whose names he'd learn upon returning to the territory. Maybe they had patroled together once, he couldn't remember. Each round of the territory with the Riverclan cats had been another duty filled endeavor. A sudden urge to fish overcame him. But he wasn't sure if the steam carried any fish. Certainly not salmon. The calico tried to raise himself to his legs, which shook, and quickly buckled underneath him. There was a defeated look across his maw and a bought of coughing before he looked up at the she-cat. Something some cat had told him once came to mind. This she-cat was also Jaystar's kit. Not his sibling exactly, but they shared the same father. Several thoughts flitted through his mind and disappeared as quickly as droplets in a river current. Finally, he heard himself settle on one thought, "I don't want you to get sick. It's lovely here. You could stay a while. But... maybe don't come too close. Unless you came out here looking for Starclan."

Back to top Go down
Jay Bird
Former Staff
Former Staff
Jay Bird

Pisces Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Up With the Birds [Closed]   Up With the Birds [Closed] EmptySat Aug 17, 2019 6:28 pm

The she-cat simply looked at him, worried. The sickness that took over his body was unknown to her yet... she had to admit that it looked quite similar to the one the fox carried. For a few seconds, as the tom talked, she thought of the possibilities she had. Leave him here to die alone or try to save him carrying him back to their home. Hailsong was not the type of cat to take the first option so there was no other way for her. However, she was exhausted because of the travel she had done to follow the predator and it would be impossible for her alone to reach the camp in her condition. That was why, when Sparkfrost suggested her to take a rest with him, she accepted with a nod. She might get sick but maybe... she would be able to draw him home in the next morning, after eating and resting for a bit.

Hailsong laid down, close but not touching the ill warrior. She made herself comfortable and watched the landscape that the former warrior chose to watch from the elm. "It is... lovely indeed." She mewed taking a look to the stream and the sun above. Somehow, it reminded her home. A faint smile showed up in her face before returning her green gaze to the grey and ginger tom. "I'm not here looking for Starclan yet, though I must admit my age is getting me nearer to them. I came here looking for a fox who was threatening the lives of the kits and apprentices in camp." She mewed, curling her thin tail around her body. "But the question is... what are you doing here, so far from the clans? Everyone in Riverclan has been so worried for you... for Dacepaw. Is it because of... your sickness? You know, my daughter is Mistlepaw and she can take care of you. She can take care of both of us considering that I'm going to get sick too for that fox. I know you are weak but in the morning, I can help you to travel. You can go home."

Back to top Go down
Ripped
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Ripped

Cancer Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: Up With the Birds [Closed]   Up With the Birds [Closed] EmptySat Aug 17, 2019 7:36 pm

In Riverclan, he'd been far too terrified of the honest truth to share it with any cat beyond Dappleshine. She was a young cat and seemed to have little expectation of the cat he used to be. Now, so far away from it all, he felt free. And the acceptance of his pending fate had lifted what stones had once built around his heart and fractured mind. As Hailsong spoke, his dreamy smile only grew wider. Perhaps the warrior would be concerned or worried with the contented peace of his mind or the manner in which he spoke so candidly of his own demise. But Sparkfrost couldn't bring himself to worry over it or muster up anything more than a casual response, "I couldn't stay there, Hailsong. I don't know the Sparkfrost you knew, or the one they all knew. And Jaystar, he was a good cat, but he was as much of a father to me as Scorchclaw could be considered."

The words were muttered at first, almost a whisper that betrayed his weakened state. Would she hate him for running away? He couldn't bring himself to care; he was dying after all. The hopefulness in the she-cat's eyes, ideals of bringing him back to the clan where he could rest. No, that would not happen. But blunt denial would be pointless and she didn't deserve that. Sparkfrost wished he could hunt with her at least, check for fish maybe, to at least entertain the relationship that had likely once been there between them. His limbs wouldn't allow it. But the thought was fun. And he rested his head again, staring past her and at the stream.

"I'd never make it. This is-is an unforgiving illness and it will take any cat." The occasional struggle from his lungs, with wheezing or coughing. His eyes glanced up, glistening with the rest that his exhausted soul so craved, "I came out here to die. This is where Starclan will have me sleep. And, it's nice, I don't mind." With a soft sigh, he smiled and closed his eyes. Exhaustion picked at him and demanded he speak no more. There was a rusty purr as he settled in, breathing in the scents around. Beyond the sickness that defeated him was the taste of air, fresh grass, and prey. Was this what the future tasted like? It seemed to be better than he could have imagined. His beautiful kit was tucked away safely in a clan that would care for her. And he was free from the stifling of clan life, freed from a past that bound him and brought to a place of ease. So long he had sought for something and wrestled with the decay of the mind.

The time for rest was now.

And so a soft purr rumbled in his throat as he drifted into sleep.

Back to top Go down
Jay Bird
Former Staff
Former Staff
Jay Bird

Pisces Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Up With the Birds [Closed]   Up With the Birds [Closed] EmptySat Aug 17, 2019 8:01 pm

She dropped her head over her front paws as she listened to the tom by her side. Though she couldn't understand why he would not be able to come back, she accepted and respected his desire of not coming back to the clan. Hailsong watched him from the corner of her eyes and let out a soft sigh. The reveal of Jaystar being his father too wasn't a surprise, really. After what Mintwhisker said and even if Jaystar denied it, inside her the doubt was always there. It wasn't outrageous to think. The experienced warrior knew well how close he was to Goldeneye, to the point when he let her nurse her and her siblings when Cinderpaw passed away. But thinking deeply about how she and Sparkfrost were related... was still shocking and... relieving. After losing many kits, losing all her siblings... she thought she had no family left since Jaystar's death. But that wasn't entirely true now. Her blood bonds were like roots, growing, digging deeper and she was just part of that big tree. "I see... well... the least I can do is to stay by your side until the time comes." She purred, letting her tail touch his in an attempt of comfort.

Hailsong looked outside for a second, thinking about how calm Sparkfrost was about his own death. She knew by a fact that it wasn't his first experience with death but his first time was horrible, traumatic. This... was calm and somehow, pretty as he said. So many cats hung to life so badly but he was ready and that was something not many could achieve. She respected that and wondered... if Jaystar felt the same. Was he in peace when he left? Did he feel accomplished with his life? Would she feel the same? To be honest to herself, she wasn't tracking the fox just for the sake of the clan but because she also wanted to run away from all that... from her loneliness, from the loss and the weight of the departure of her leader and only relative that was not her kit. The dilute calico took a deep breath and smiled a bit, looking at the stream reflecting the sunlight. It wasn't Riverclan but the water and reeds still made her feel at home. Maybe Sparkfrost could feel the same, deep inside and that was why he felt this place as a good one to depart. "It is nice..." The experienced warrior closed her eyes when she was certain Sparkfrost was sleeping. She needed to rest too if she wanted to come back later when the tom joins Starclan.

TIME SKIP

Back to top Go down
Ripped
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Ripped

Cancer Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: Up With the Birds [Closed]   Up With the Birds [Closed] EmptySat Aug 17, 2019 8:24 pm

A slow breath. In. Out. In. Out.

They came in shallow draws, the breaths, nearly gasps. But it was more more soothing and less desperate in nature than a sharp inhalation of air. The tom was slightly surprised bit not specifically disappointed when his eyes parted once again. His whiskers twitched. Above the sky was painted with the hues of dawn. Orange and scarlet streaks graced the scenery and glowed just behind the thin veil of clouds. Sparkfrost decided he liked it that way. If storm clouds had gathered, the rays of sunlight would have ceased to exist and nothing would have heated his pelt in such a pleasant way. He curled against the warm pelt next to him.

Oh?

It was unexpected but Hailsong was resting there. He watched the rise and fall of her pelt. There was, a slight wheeze. Hints of concern caused him to lift his head. That made it seem like she might have caught the affliction that wracked him. The warrior had only come to terms with the nature of his own demise and not that of others. It was the very thing that had caused him to flee from the clans and leave his daughter behind, even if it was the most painful thing his heart had ever felt. Thinking of Dacepaw now, his heart constricted. A cough shook his body, which he tried to stifle as to not disturb her. But with how intertwined they had become, naturally curled in the throws of sleep. Concern for her shown in his gaze and he pressed his nose into the top of her head.

"Why are you still here Hailsong? This is my fate, not yours. Y...you should be back with the clan. They know you, they'll miss you."

Back to top Go down
Jay Bird
Former Staff
Former Staff
Jay Bird

Pisces Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Up With the Birds [Closed]   Up With the Birds [Closed] EmptySat Aug 17, 2019 8:47 pm

Unlike the tom, the she-cat had woken up a few times, feeling the sickness taking over quickly, like a flood. At this point, she knew that she wasn't going to make it. The pain on her chest just grew and it was harder to breathe, to think. Maybe it was because she was older than Sparkfrost... but the illness spread faster in her. Hailsong turned her gaze to Sparkfrost and stood up just to curl his body around his, in the way the she-cat used to do with her own littermates. Despite the shivering and the pain, it was warm, comfy. She purred at him and smiled a bit. "I don't believe in fate, Sparkfrost. What I can do say is that this is my time too... I did not consider that I was older than you... and now the sickness took over me in a more aggressive manner." She mewed with no many emotion. There was no need to hide it or feel fear. Those were the facts and now she was there, with his half-brother, spending probably their last dawn.

She looked at the stream, resting her head on the tom's neck. "You know? Even if I just confirmed it... I'm glad to be here with my half-brother. I thought... I was alone with my sole kitten. Of course... I adopted a bunch of kits but I felt all those roots that tied to my family died with Jaystar.. until now. I'm glad... to meet you, little brother. I do not regret this. I do not regret my life. Mistlepaw will mourn, miss me, as well as Pebblepaw, but that's fine. We all... have to suffer... someday but at the end..." Weakily, Hailsong closed her eyes and let herself be filled with the warmth of her lost kin. "All that matters... is that our loved ones go in peace... that we go in peace... Forgiveness, love. Just like our dad said. And now, I'm just happy to be here, to love you as my family, for being here with me and hopefully... Starclan will grant us to travel together to the stars and meet our loved ones." The dilute calico breathed heavily yet at a constant pace. Her lungs felt heavier, filled by a strange liquid but as her mind went away into that sleepy realm, her pain was starting to fade too. This was it, she knew it and she was grateful. Grateful to Sparkfrost for letting her go in such a peaceful place, with a peaceful company as his. No mourning, no tears. Just two tired, sick cats going to sleep one last time together. "I wish... we could have had more time together. But for now, I think we will meet each other... in our dreams..." Her mouth could not keep moving any longer and she just let her sleep, dreaming of streams, rivers and fishes. Dreaming of home, her family, her siblings.

I'm coming home... just wait for me...

Back to top Go down
Ripped
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Ripped

Cancer Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: Up With the Birds [Closed]   Up With the Birds [Closed] EmptySun Aug 18, 2019 9:02 pm

Sparkfrost made no motion to fend of the she-cat as she wrapped herself around him. He welcomed in, and as she did, he reveled in it. There had been profuse shivering that usually did not accompany such a warm season. But whatever internal disease was not causing the continuous convulsions seemed to be soothed at least momentarily. Any worry of his mind was sedated with her words. His attention was caught and he rested his weary head once again. As he snuggled into her fur, the final speech rang in his ears and soothed him with a final tale. Purring rumbled in his ears and seemed to overtake everything. She seemed happy and contented, a contagious feeling. And he found himself reflecting in a similar manner. Despite being distant from her in this life, he found himself wrapped comfortably in the idea he was to pass at the side of his sister. There was something there he had not quite taken the time to realize before, not in the bustle of clan life or the prattling of his mind.

"I missed out on so much, Hailsong. But there was also still so many things here. Even if I ran. It was all... still here." It was the last time he would speak, a simple thing after all the beautiful speech that had parted from her maw. Some cats might have pressed tear stained faces into their sides had this been a death in camp. The idea of such pained loss constricted his chest. Dacepaw was better off looking for comfort in the stars, and believing he was on a grandiose quest beyond her wildest dreams. He was off saving the world while she was learning the art of hunting among tree roots. It caused a contented smile to cross his maw and the whiskers twitched ever so slightly with an unabashed joy. Hailsong was likely pondering over the same things. Of the cats she loved, the life she lived. There was so much more there for her too, and entire life's worth. Funny how he had lived two whole lives in the space of her one. She had met both Sparkfrosts. And she loved both him and the last one. It didn't matter.

Would he meet him now? Would the memories return? Or was he doomed to this state. Whatever dampening thoughts flitted through his mind were quickly shoved away. Thinking became more tiresome. It was harder with each laborious breath that was pushed through his nostrils. The soft wheezing noise shared by both Riverclan born cats seemed to filled the hallow tree, and fade. A melody coming to the end. Only the crickets chirped. The stream babbled. And Sparkfrost's heart stilled, ending the song.

They were set on a path for the stars. Something great.

Soon, they would soar free of everything...

up with the birds.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Up With the Birds [Closed]   Up With the Birds [Closed] Empty

Back to top Go down