Warrior Clan Cats

The future's in your paws. Shape it well.

Roleplay in a cat Clan of warriors. Based off the Warriors series by Erin Hunter. Takes place in an AU before the cats in the books existed.

HomePortalFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Welcome to WCC! Here are our latest announcements:
The Clans are finally returning to a semblance of normal life; the floodwaters are gone at last, but the damages - physical and emotional - remain.
July's activity check is complete. If you missed it, please PM a staff member with your characters.
Greenleaf has come and at last the days are growing warmer and brighter.
Gatherings take place on the 1st of the month; keep your eyes out for a staff member's post!
Make sure to check your Clan's Key Events under the Clan Information boards to see what's happening in your Clan!
Please feel free to hit up any staff member if you have any questions!

Hunting Takes Energy [suggestion]

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Grandmaster Suma
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Grandmaster Suma

Characters : [A]mberdawn | [B]arleytuft | [C]loverpaw | [D]acekit
Female
Cancer Pig
Number of posts : 1183
Clan/Rank : [A] SkC MC[1] | [B] WC W[4] | [C] WC App | [D] RC Unborn

Hunting Takes Energy [suggestion] Empty
PostSubject: Hunting Takes Energy [suggestion]   Hunting Takes Energy [suggestion] Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2019 9:57 am

Hi guys! Ripped had a wonderful thought this morning that she shared with me just offhandedly, and I liked it so much that I wanted to bring it up here for official site and staff view.

Is it silly for the admin of a site to post a suggestion in the suggestion board?

No, not if she wants the input of site members (aka friends). ;)

tl;dr Each time you roll the hunting dice, you lose SP. 
Sure would suck to encounter a predator after 6 rolls of fruitless labor... ;)

I feel like the Hunting System is an incredibly easy tool that has a lot of potential we aren't taking advantage of. The way it currently works is that you write your post of your cat spotting and wanting to hunt prey (a bird, for instance), then roll the Hunting dice with that post, and then edit your post to reflect whether you succeeded in catching that bird or not. We have a whole system to determine whether you succeed or not, but it doesn't have any kind of consequence or, really, any effect on a cat whatsoever. You aren't required to catch prey, just required to attempt it and show us you know how to use the System. The biggest risk of hunting is rolling a 10 and accidentally encountering a predator.

Isn't it interesting how I could post my apprentice hunting six times, failing at catching anything, and yet my character isn't really any more tired? I still have all my energy to fight off that badger I stumbled upon.

Stamina Points on site similarly don't get taken advantage of as often as they could. They're supposed to represent how much energy you have, but I myself have never seen anyone's stamina get to zero. They run out of HP long before. What if I lost SP when I hunted? Would I have a harder time fighting a surprise encounter? Would I, the roleplayer, need to arrange for someone to come swoop in and save my character? Or would I maybe have to interact with my medicine cat having lost from exhaustion in the forest?

I think, thanks to Ripped's idea, than Hunting could totally include SP loss.

SIMPLE VERSION: you lose X SP for every roll, regardless of outcome. (I used 5 in my example.)
Simple Version wrote:
Furpelt wrote:
Furpelt didn't want to be productive, but hunting was okay. He went out and found a bird. edit: The bird saw him and flew away before he could catch it. He was winded from his leap after it. (-5 SP)

Furpelt
40/40 HP
115/120 SP (-5)

Mistpelt wrote:
The member 'Furpelt' has done the following action : Dices roll

'Hunting Dice' : 9

Furpelt wrote:
Knowing he couldn't go back empty-pawed, Furpelt found a mouse to go after next. edit: This time the mouse didn't stand a chance, and he pounced to cut it off before it could escape. (-5 SP)

Furpelt
40/40 HP
110/120 SP (-5)

Mistpelt wrote:
The member 'Furpelt' has done the following action : Dices roll

'Hunting Dice' : 2

COMPLEX VERSION: you lose X SP for a successful roll and Y SP for a failed roll. (I used 5 for a success and 2 for a failure.)
Complex Version wrote:
Toothfang wrote:
Toothfang was ready to face the day! A big bird was bothering the elders, so she chased after it. edit: Skilled at stalking through the brush, Toothfang pulled on all her knowledge and caught the pesky thing with one grand leap! (-5 SP)

Toothfang
40/40 HP
115/120 SP (-5)

Mistpelt wrote:
The member 'Toothfang' has done the following action : Dices roll

'Hunting Dice' : 1

Toothfang wrote:
Pleased, but certain she could catch more, Toothfang decided to go try catching a lizard. edit: Admittedly, she'd never really learned how to hunt lizards and it escaped her easily. (-2 SP)

Toothfang
40/40 HP
113/120 SP (-2)

Mistpelt wrote:
The member 'Toothfang' has done the following action : Dices roll

'Hunting Dice' : 8

I think this could be a really fun dynamic, especially if you have hunted for a while and then roll that dreaded 10! It could add a bit more intrigue to predator encounters.

What do you think? This is all just an idea so share away! Staff too, let me know if you think this is silly. ;)

EDIT: Presumably, SP would reset at the end of the thread just like stats reset at the end of a battle's thread.

Hunting Takes Energy [suggestion] 16lmow3
Amberdawn
T1 MC [45/100]
Hunting Takes Energy [suggestion] Jikr2c
Barleytuft
T5 Warrior [100/280]
Hunting Takes Energy [suggestion] I5opbp
Cloverpaw
Apprentice [20/80]
Hunting Takes Energy [suggestion] Feie5Fx
Dacekit
Unborn Kit [0/0]

Hunting Takes Energy [suggestion] Ba7614d4-e64d-43b8-bcd3-e960e185338c ← by Jade
Back to top Go down
Jay Bird
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Jay Bird

Characters : Jaystar ♂ / Hailsong ♀ / Berrycloud ♂
Female
Pisces Dragon
Number of posts : 3261
Clan/Rank : Riverclan

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Takes Energy [suggestion]   Hunting Takes Energy [suggestion] Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2019 10:09 am

You know what?? I FRICKING LIKE IT. Yeah, is a little more but not in an impossible way. It could be easily implemented and it makes total sense

Hunting Takes Energy [suggestion] Z10

ºHailsongº | ºJaystarº | °Berrycloud°
She-cat/RC [Tier 5] Warrior | Tom/RC Leader  | Tom/ RC [Tier 4] Warrior

Deceased Masterlist
Back to top Go down
lemongrass
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
lemongrass

Female
Virgo Cat
Number of posts : 583

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Takes Energy [suggestion]   Hunting Takes Energy [suggestion] Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2019 10:24 am

WHOA I love it omg. This is a really cool idea, and adds a lot more realism to the hunting mechanic. I think this stands really well on its own, and could be easily implemented into the site.

An add-on that could possibly be suggested for this is; does the stamina cost change based on prey type/season/cat age, etc?

1) For example, a RiverClan cat would have a much easier time catching fish than a ThunderClan cat would, and therefore the ThunderClan cat would lose more stamina for performing the action.

2) For the seasons; perhaps to display just how deadly leafbare can be, the stamina cost can increase when hunting during leafbare. That way it makes the In-Character seasons more implemented than just from a role-play point of view.

3) And lastly, for age. Perhaps Senior Warriors spend less stamina hunting than apprentices do? Because they are more experienced?

But again, like I said, the stamina system on its own is fine, and I think will be a really good addition to the hunting system. These add-ons I suggested could quickly become too complicated, and I know that we do try to keep the site simple and not overwhelming. If I had to suggest only one, I would want to try to roll with the "seasons effecting stamina cost." But overall, I think Ripped had a really good idea! And I really like it!

Hunting Takes Energy [suggestion] Befunk16

Flintfang ♂ ~ Warrior of StagClan {Tier III}
Finchstar ♂ ~ Leader of WindClan
Leaftwirl ♀ ~ Warrior of SkyClan {Tier II}
Duskkit ♀ ~ Unborn Kit of ShadowClan

Character Profiles

Back to top Go down
https://www.deviantart.com/lemongrassart
Jay Bird
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Jay Bird

Characters : Jaystar ♂ / Hailsong ♀ / Berrycloud ♂
Female
Pisces Dragon
Number of posts : 3261
Clan/Rank : Riverclan

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Takes Energy [suggestion]   Hunting Takes Energy [suggestion] Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2019 10:32 am

About Lemon's suggestion here are my own thoughts:
1) No. Gives too much complexity and clan types already have advantage for their especifics preys :P
2) YES
3) I am bot hesitant about it since they already have advantage over lower ranks by having more SP. But I am not fully against it

Hunting Takes Energy [suggestion] Z10

ºHailsongº | ºJaystarº | °Berrycloud°
She-cat/RC [Tier 5] Warrior | Tom/RC Leader  | Tom/ RC [Tier 4] Warrior

Deceased Masterlist
Back to top Go down
Grandmaster Suma
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Grandmaster Suma

Female
Cancer Pig

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Takes Energy [suggestion]   Hunting Takes Energy [suggestion] Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2019 10:37 am

1) I agree with Jay; I think that the Prey List is built to give cats a natural advantage to the prey that can be found in their Clan's territory. :)

2) I think this is great! I had considered once that the prey list should change for the seasons, but it would be much easier to instead change the SP cost for each season to reflect the difficulty.

3) This could work, but I think Jay's right that simply having more SP gives them a bonus. It is always something that could be implemented later if we found that this suggestion was lacking in that way.

Amberdawn
T1 MC [45/100]
Barleytuft
T5 Warrior [100/280]
Cloverpaw
Apprentice [20/80]
Dacekit
Unborn Kit [0/0]

Hunting Takes Energy [suggestion] Ba7614d4-e64d-43b8-bcd3-e960e185338c ← by Jade
Back to top Go down
Mosspelt

Mosspelt

Characters : Mosspaw (M) ; Dappleshine (D) ; Goldenpaw (G)
Female
Cancer Rat
Number of posts : 474
Clan/Rank : (M) ThunderClan - Medicine Cat Apprentice ; (D) RiverClan - Tier 2 Warrior ; (G) WindClan - Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Takes Energy [suggestion]   Hunting Takes Energy [suggestion] Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2019 11:05 am

Ripped - this is truly a fantastic idea and I love it. Thanks for sharing it suma!

I like the idea of differing stamina cost for a success vs a failure, but I do understand that it can be a little complicated. However, I think it's not that much more complicated and a better representation.

To kind of piggy-back off of lemon, I like the concept that prey not really available to other clans would use more stamina. For example, the thought of Dapplepaw in RiverClan using the same stamina to catch a fish than to chase down a rabbit is a little weird, so I propose that if the prey is something that needs a 1 or 1-2 to catch would use an extra say.... 3 stamina? Or 5? That way the skill and exertion necessary for Dapplepaw to catch that rabbit is shown more. That could go with either the simple or the slightly more complex numbers.

*You guys responded already about striking that lol*

As far as the seasons go, I completely agree. Maybe the same thought as above could be used for leaf bare hunts, there's a static +3 stamina cost for catching or missing, meaning that...
With the simple system: leafbare -8 stamina for hunting (-5 for the attempt, -3 for the season)
                                   any other season -5
With the x y system: leafbare -8 for a catch (-5 for catch, -3 for season) and -5 for miss (-2 for miss,
                              -3 for season)
                              any other season -5 for catch, -2 for miss

Just a simple and static boost to stamina cost depending on season and challenge level of prey according to the clan's skills outlined in the Hunting System. Thoughts?

Mosspaw (She-Cat): 35 HP/90 SP ThunderClan Medicine Cat Apprentice (009933)
Dappleshine (She-Cat): 45 HP/160 SP RiverClan Warrior (Tier 2) (006699)
Goldenpaw (She-Cat): 20 HP/80 SP WindClan Apprentice (ff9900)

Mossy's Information Compilation
Back to top Go down
Ripped

Ripped

Male
Cancer Buffalo
Number of posts : 3851

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Takes Energy [suggestion]   Hunting Takes Energy [suggestion] Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2019 11:38 am

Prey roll success numbers are supposed to change with season too I belive

Beartooth of Thunderclan // 80/240 // Tom // color=#669900
Burntstag of Shadowclan // 45/160 // Tom // color=#990000
Sparkfrost of Riverclan // 60/200 // Tom // color=#cc9900
Houndkit of Thunderclan // 5/15 // Tom // color=#9999cc

"his name shall be written among the stars. story told alongside the tales of lords."
"clover now rest for eternity by the brook, waiting for his return."

Back to top Go down
Grandmaster Suma
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Grandmaster Suma

Female
Cancer Pig

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Takes Energy [suggestion]   Hunting Takes Energy [suggestion] Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2019 2:01 pm

It looks like the rules say:

Quote :
"Depending on the season, and other in-RP factors, the numbers can be adjusted by Staff at any time."

It seems like maybe we are supposed to - or rather, we can - but we haven't been utilizing it. That could easily be added to staff's duties if this got implemented - or, we could just rely on the SP for it and not modify so many numbers. It's an idea.

Amberdawn
T1 MC [45/100]
Barleytuft
T5 Warrior [100/280]
Cloverpaw
Apprentice [20/80]
Dacekit
Unborn Kit [0/0]

Back to top Go down
RainyHeart
Former Staff
Former Staff
RainyHeart

Characters : Alive: {L}eopardstar, {N}ight (of Stormy Gales), {Fe}rnpetal, {M}agpiepaw | Deceased: Pansyface*, Sandkit*, Ryeheart*, Aspenpaw*, Finchstream*, Laurelsong*, Chirp of Cricket at Sunset*
Female
Sagittarius Dragon
Number of posts : 3137
Clan/Rank : {L} ThunderClan Leader | {N} Exiled Rogue/Tier 2 Warrior | {Fe} SkyClan Tier 2 Warrior | {M} RiverClan Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Takes Energy [suggestion]   Hunting Takes Energy [suggestion] Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2019 4:15 pm

I like this idea a lot! :D

Hunting Takes Energy [suggestion] QOurM8U

❤ May your heart be your guiding key ❤

ThunderClan Leader
Character Profiles

Hunting Takes Energy [suggestion] L59EIdO
Leopardstar ↞ | ↠ Night (of Stormy Gales) ↞ | ↠ Fernpetal ↞ | ↠ Magpiepaw

Hunting Takes Energy [suggestion] Pqscm8
Back to top Go down
Maple
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Maple

Characters : Dustcloud{D}, Blazeflight{B}, Silentstrike{Sil}, Gustpuddle {G}, *Swiftflight {Sw}, *Fennelpaw {Fn}, *Jaysong {Ja}, Fallowlight {Fa}, *Fern {Fe}, *Brackenberry {Br}, Ivypaw {Iv}, Specklekit {Sp}, Sparrowkit {Sf}
Female
Leo Monkey
Number of posts : 2507
Clan/Rank : Windclan Elder {Sil} {G}, Shadowclan Perma-Queen{B}, Thunderclan Senior Warrior{D}, RiverClan Medicine Cat {Fa}, ThunderClan Kit {Sp}, WindClan Kit {Sf}

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Takes Energy [suggestion]   Hunting Takes Energy [suggestion] Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2019 6:14 pm

I fully support this idea!!

also, I'm totally for the amount of SP changing based around the season, especially considering that the weather and such would definitely have an impact on the kitties abilities!

| Tier Five ThunderClan Warrior | RiverClan Apprentice | SkyClan [Unborn] Kit |
Back to top Go down
rhindon

rhindon

Characters : [R]aventail ♂ | [L]ightpaw ♂ | [G]alepaw ♂
Male
Leo Cat
Number of posts : 270

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Takes Energy [suggestion]   Hunting Takes Energy [suggestion] Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2019 6:38 pm

i prefer the simple version just because it's a little easier to keep track of, but i support this idea + greater SP costs in leafbare regardless of which version is ultimately used if this happens
bold words from someone who's never had a predator encounter--but, for real, this sounds cool

#87CEFA                                 #8FBC8B                                 #E7B765
Hunting Takes Energy [suggestion] B2oAOqZ
Raventail [45/160] | Lightpaw [20/80] | Galepaw [20/80]
WindClan warrior [2] | SkyClan apprentice | ThunderClan apprentice
Back to top Go down
Ripped

Ripped

Male
Cancer Buffalo
Number of posts : 3851

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Takes Energy [suggestion]   Hunting Takes Energy [suggestion] Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2019 7:42 pm

rhindon im dead your smol text

Beartooth of Thunderclan // 80/240 // Tom // color=#669900
Burntstag of Shadowclan // 45/160 // Tom // color=#990000
Sparkfrost of Riverclan // 60/200 // Tom // color=#cc9900
Houndkit of Thunderclan // 5/15 // Tom // color=#9999cc

"his name shall be written among the stars. story told alongside the tales of lords."
"clover now rest for eternity by the brook, waiting for his return."

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Takes Energy [suggestion]   Hunting Takes Energy [suggestion] Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hunting Takes Energy [suggestion]
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You can reply to topics in this forum
Warrior Clan Cats :: Off Topic :: Comments & Suggestions-