Warrior Clan Cats

The future's in your paws. Shape it well.

Roleplay in a cat Clan of warriors. Based off the Warriors series by Erin Hunter. Takes place in an AU before the cats in the books existed.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome to WCC! Here are our latest announcements:
Activity checks take place on the 1st of the month. PM a staff member with the completed form if you missed it.
Newleaf is finally here, and the Clans hope to find reprieve from the tough Leaf-bare.
Gatherings take place on the 1st of the month; keep your eyes out for a staff member's post!
Please feel free to hit up any staff member if you have any questions!

The Drowned Moors Still Soothe Me

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Grizzly
Former Staff
Former Staff
Grizzly

Sagittarius Horse
Number of posts : 2495

The Drowned Moors Still Soothe Me Empty
PostSubject: The Drowned Moors Still Soothe Me   The Drowned Moors Still Soothe Me EmptyWed 22 May 2019 - 7:43

Returning home was a spiritual healing process. Every cat from every clan was struggling with the lack of resources. There was no prey, no herbs, and no undergrowth. The only thing they could count on seeing was water, and lots of it. Aspenpaw had been in the care of his clanmates in camp for a few days after nearly seeing StarClan. The dog's blow was more than his body could handle. Sometimes, when standing too quickly, his head still swam. However, his alertness and talkative nature was promising, and today was his first day back out.

He approached Finchstar and Barleytuft, who were leading a patrol to look for prey. There were kits and elders who needed feeding, and many warriors were still injured and recovering. He trotted up to his mentor, desperately trying to hide his excitement. No matter the conditions, his heart leapt with the idea of prowling through WindClan once again. He was growing sick of the mountains, and he had been asleep the entire way home. He had not yet seen the plains, or what had become of them.

Tripping over his paw as he reached the edge of camp, he called out to the older toms. "How's the weather look, fellows?" he joked.

The Drowned Moors Still Soothe Me TpKJUN0

Rushkit | RiverClan Kit | #4b5320
Lionkit | ThunderClan Kit | #cb945f
Back to top Go down
sumashira
Former Staff
Former Staff
sumashira

Cancer Pig
Number of posts : 2609

PostSubject: Re: The Drowned Moors Still Soothe Me   The Drowned Moors Still Soothe Me EmptyWed 22 May 2019 - 10:00

Barleytuft stood near the entrance of camp beside his dear friend and leader, Finchstar. It hadn't been long since they'd returned from the mountains, but they had been keeping themselves - and everyone else - busy with the reparations of the camp and reclaiming of the territory. Barleytuft had taken the first day back after the long trek and battle to rest and recover his injuries. That was why they'd forced him to stay in camp, anyways; truthfully, he was glad to stay in his nest beside his mate, who he had returned to discover was expecting his kits. It was a slow, easy day, but it ended like all the others, and the next day Barleytuft ached a little less and insisted on being allowed to hunt and patrol again - he'd sneak out to hunt if they tried to stop him, but fortunately they didn't.

Today Barleytuft was happy to be going hunting with his friend again. It was odd that Finchstar was leader; Barleytuft remembered when the tom had only been an apprentice, a dear friend to his own apprentice, Brookpaw - Brookclover now. Yet here Finchstar was, grown and strong with nine lives granted by StarClan. The pale tom was meowing to his friend, "It's really a pity that so many of the tunnels collapsed... I'm just glad they did so before any of us returned to the moor. I sure hope they've finished, anyways. I wouldn't like to get caught in that."

And then Aspenpaw stumbled in the corner of Barleytuft's vision and he quickly turned to address the drowsy-eyed apprentice with a smile. "How's the weather look, fellows?" he called in a playful tone, and Barleytuft snorted, holding back a snicker. He turned his dark hazel eyes up to the dismal sky and replied, "Let's just say I bet ThunderClan will be happy to be under the trees today."

The Drowned Moors Still Soothe Me VWfKplK
Clovertwist the Loner
WindClan ex-Warrior
{ #5F9EA0 }
Barleytuft of StarClan
WindClan Warrior
{ #DA8F6F }
Marmalade the Kittypet
ex-SkyClan Medicine Cat
{ #C1550A }
Dacedream of StarClan
ThunderClan Warrior
{ #808000 }
Summer the Loner
gay drifter
{ #E86375 }
(Not Pictured: Frogmarsh of ShadowClan; Lightstep of RiverClan; Mottledspark of RiverClan)

art by sumashira [me] - click image to see profiles
Back to top Go down
lemon
Former Staff
Former Staff
lemon

Virgo Cat
Number of posts : 1297

PostSubject: Re: The Drowned Moors Still Soothe Me   The Drowned Moors Still Soothe Me EmptyThu 23 May 2019 - 10:42

Living was easier now, ever since returning home. Finchstar had awoken to Brookclover's green eyes, his apprentice had made a recovery, and the warriors of WindClan remained strong against the current of life. The weather today was dismal, gray clouds crackled over the horizon, and the leader watched them curiously. Up here, close to the camp's entrance, he could feel the breeze in his fur. Although it no longer carried with it the scent of wheatgrass and heather, it was welcome all the same. This dip in the moor was beginning to feel more like a home. Both the warriors and himself had worked hard to rebuild the gorse wall surrounding the clearing, and the fresh-kill pile was beginning to grow a little fatter. Finchstar's perspective on clan-life had been drastically changed ever since Brindlestar's tragic death. He now carried with him his clan's fate and trust. It was a heavy thing, but with Brookclover, Swiftstep, and Barleytuft's help, the task seemed less daunting.

The latter stood beside him now, a cream tabby with dark sparkling eyes. Finchstar was eager to hunt with his good friend once more, and was glad to see his wounds were in the process of healing. Barleytuft spoke of the moor tunnels collapsing, and Finchstar nodded his head in agreement. "I'd rather leap from the gorge then be caught in a tunnel collapse. My time with the tribe cats has made sure of that." The orange and white tabby reminisced of the sunrises spent in the mountains, and remembered with a shiver, running through the caves, Sharptooth on his tail. But he was not the only cat on that adventure. In fact, he was accompanied by most of WindClan.

A gray tabby in particular had been on Finchstar's mind. His apprentice, Aspenpaw. The tom had lost consciousness during the battle of Highstones, but thanks to Briarpaw's help, was now safe and healed. Barleytuft answered Aspenpaw's inquiry on the weather, and Finchstar twitched his whiskers in response. "Shall we head out? I'm craving soggy rabbits, and the weather seems to oblige." The tom flashed Aspenpaw a grin, obvious playful sarcasm in his voice.

Loachkit
of RiverClan
Kit
10 HP / 30 SP

Back to top Go down
Grizzly
Former Staff
Former Staff
Grizzly

Sagittarius Horse

PostSubject: Re: The Drowned Moors Still Soothe Me   The Drowned Moors Still Soothe Me EmptyFri 24 May 2019 - 9:09

Aspenpaw nodded affirmatively and allowed the older cats to lead the way.

The state of the territory was saddening, to say the least. Every step muddied his white paws and it was significantly harder to find his footing. Was the mud really so deep that he was fumbling every footfall? He stared at his legs as he walked. No, he couldn't have been sinking more than a hair length into the mud... He winced as he splashed through a puddle. The sun glare pinched his head and he had to look away. He shook it off, keeping his chin level with the ground. There was no use in complaining, he considered, since it was just the after effects of his run-in with an angry dog. Ever since, walking near the paths that twolegs walked their pets on made his heart lurch. He hated the smell of mutts with a burning fury, and he noticed that it made his head hurt more. Aspenpaw was dragged from his thoughts by the way his legs suddenly spasmed underneath him. He regained his stature with a grunt, pressing onward with a pointed tail. He was lagging a considerable distance behind Finchstar and Barleytuft.

A familiar smell hit his nose, and he almost couldn't believe it. A rabbit! The first real, fat rabbit he had seen since they fled the territory. He quickly nudged Finchstar's shoulder, as to say "this one is mine." He crouched low and crept closer to the rabbit, his heart pounding ferociously with the effort it took to keep quiet and still. His only chance to successfully hunt was to ambush the creature, knowing his own speed was a bit of a hindrance. The rabbit perked up, her ears raised and pointing directly at Aspenpaw's face. She saw him, and they both knew it. Even so, when she made a mad dash for her burrow, his reaction was delayed.

It was as if his legs had stopped working! He watched her go for two entire moments before his body lurched into action. He cursed under his breath as he made chase, paws pounding the mud. He felt it kicking up behind him, slowing his movement, rolling his legs, and splashing it into his eyes. His lungs constricted; he was already out of breath. He blacked out briefly, and the next moment, he was crashing into the sprouting grass, tumbling over himself, and landing, breathlessly, with no rabbit. He stared up at the cloudy sky for a second or two, and he wondered if StarClan was showing him the inside of his skull—fluffy, stuffed, and about to rain. He rolled around and buried his face in his paws. He was covered in mud, his pelt was sticky, and his head felt like it was splitting in two. "Finchstar!" he wailed, kitlike, "Something's wrong!"

Back to top Go down
sumashira
Former Staff
Former Staff
sumashira

Cancer Pig

PostSubject: Re: The Drowned Moors Still Soothe Me   The Drowned Moors Still Soothe Me EmptySat 25 May 2019 - 8:35

Though the weather wasn't particularly to the moor cats' taste, the fact was that they had spent their entire lives exposed to the elements. A soggy pelt and paws wasn't what a warrior really wanted to start the day with, but they'd never particularly had a choice when it came to the weather. Life continued, rain or shine, and that meant Barleytuft and all his Clanmates had to adapt to dismal weather. That was one of the many good things about WindClan; it took some pretty bad weather to interfere with moor life I still think I'd like to have ShadowClan's paws right about now, Barleytuft mused to himself. Finchstar seemed about as pleased with the weather as everyone else was, but just like the other WindClan cats he took the unpleasantness in stride and with good humor, joking, "I'm craving soggy rabbits, and the weather seems to oblige."

Barleytuft laughed and answered, "Sure thing - I'll get an exrtra watery one, just for you."

The three of them set off, and Barleytuft followed close behind Finchstar while Aspenpaw followed them both. The gorse wall helped to keep some of the moisture out of the camp by blocking the outside water and having plentiful roots to soak up the rest, but as soon as they were outside the scraggly bushes the ground became a bit soft and slick. Barleytuft felt his pads sink slightly with each step, but the WindClan tom was light and graceful on his feet as most WindClan cats were. Finchstar, ahead, seemed to need to dance from side to side a little when his own paws tried to stray from under him, yet the ginger and white tom remained upright and kept his pace. It was hard to imagine that, not so long ago, their leader was just an apprentice training alongside Barleytuft's own. But look at him now...

Aspenpaw, on the other hand, trailed behind somewhat noisily. Barleytuft was a little surprised by how often he heard his Clanmate behind him grunting, stumbling, and splashing through puddles. He's probably just tired, the sandy tabby tom thought, I wonder when the last time he went out on a hunt like this was. So, the experienced warrior said nothing as they all continued to trek across the marshy moor. He padded along carefully after his leader, scanning the horizon for something to try to hunt.

The apprentice was the first to spot prey; Barleytuft spotted the rabbit a moment later, but Aspenpaw had already begun to push forward excitedly. The sandy warrior dipped his head just slightly and hunkered down lower, careful not to be a distraction to either the apprentice or his prey. Barleytuft's dark hazel eyes watched as Aspenpaw moved forward. His movements were... unsteady. Uncertain? The warrior noticed how concentrated Aspenpaw was, how utterly focused, yet how his paws still seemed so.... hesitant to move. The apprentice made one wrong movement, as any warrior could at any time, and the rabbit had spotted him. The creature perked up, ears flicking directly towards the pale gray apprentice, and then she was off.

The three or four heartbeats for which Aspenpaw didn't move almost threatened to tear Barleytuft, and he nearly lurched up to lunge after the rabbit himself. Instead the lean WindClan tom sat up slightly, focusing on the apprentice with a mildly disappointed stare, only for Aspenpaw to suddenly launch himself after his prey. Too late - much too late, and likely everyone knew it - Aspenpaw was pounding over the moor after the rabbit, trying to beat her in her race to her burrow. Now Barleytuft's concern multiplied. Something was.... wrong. Aspenpaw's limbs seemed to skip and stutter and drag and fling out in odd directions as he tried to run. Mud sprayed up around him, as if he were running for his life. Time seemed to slow as the apprentice began to fall forward, stumbling and then skidding and rolling through the mud.

As Aspenpaw had started going down, Barleytuft had shot to his paws and begun to race after him, carying out in alarm, "Aspenpaw!" The WindClan warrior was racing to Aspenpaw's side as he held his head in his paws and wailed in pain, his words almost incoherent. "Something wrong!" he said, and as Barleytuft came to a halt beside the tom, his heart pounded with terror. "Aspenpaw, what's wrong? What happened?" the tabby asked, his voice sharp with concern.

Clovertwist the Loner
WindClan ex-Warrior
{ #5F9EA0 }
Barleytuft of StarClan
WindClan Warrior
{ #DA8F6F }
Marmalade the Kittypet
ex-SkyClan Medicine Cat
{ #C1550A }
Dacedream of StarClan
ThunderClan Warrior
{ #808000 }
Summer the Loner
gay drifter
{ #E86375 }
(Not Pictured: Frogmarsh of ShadowClan; Lightstep of RiverClan; Mottledspark of RiverClan)

Back to top Go down
lemon
Former Staff
Former Staff
lemon

Virgo Cat

PostSubject: Re: The Drowned Moors Still Soothe Me   The Drowned Moors Still Soothe Me EmptySun 26 May 2019 - 11:21

The three cats padded out into the moor, fur blowing in the breeze. Finchstar wrinkled his nose as the new, watery scent reached his maw. Mosquitos buzzed through the air, and fallen stalks of heather floated in pools of green. Pads sunk into the mud, squelching with every step. It was a sad thing, watching his homeland succumb to the devastation. Finchstar gazed around wistfully, sighing at the sight of every change. "At least we'll never be bored..." The tom mewed, catching up to Barleytuft and Aspenpaw. "There are many things to do." But they would be done. WindClan was determined, and soon their land would heal along with their hearts.

Despite the dreary state of the environment, Finchstar relished the chance to walk with his friends again. There was no dogs on their tail, and no Sharptooth coming to scoop them up. Just three cats, enjoying the moor. A pure thing. Finchstar let his eyes fall to Aspenpaw, watching curiously as the gray tabby seemingly picked up a scent. A moment later, and the leader saw what his apprentice was after. A rabbit, plump and spry. Aspenpaw nudged Finchstar's shoulder, and the orange and white tabby nodded in return. His apprentice was more than capable of bringing the creature down. He had seen him do it before, and had no doubt he could do it again.

The rabbit caught sight of the tom not but a second later, and began sprinting up the hill as quick as its little legs could carry it. Finchstar watched as Aspenpaw bunched and prepared to run, but didn't. He sat coiled up for a long, agonizing moment. Go Aspenpaw! Go! Finchstar urged silently, but it was as if the gray tabby was stuck in a gorse bush. Finally, he shot off, running after the prey. His legs shot out wildly, tripping over grass tussocks and bending and twisting at odd angles. What's wrong? Finchstar thought, beginning to sprint after his apprentice. But he was too late. Aspenpaw tripped over an invisible obstacle, rolling and twisting into the mud. He stopped and covered his face with his paws, crying out. Oh no!!!

Panic clawed at Finchstar's throat as he pounded to his apprentice's side. Barleytuft stood there too, peeking into his peripheral vision. Aspenpaw called his name, crying out with a heart wrenching wail. "Aspenpaw!" Finchstar breathed, fighting the shock that had seized his body. "I'm here... I'm here. You're alright. It's okay." It's not okay... Finchstar thought to himself. Never in his life had he seen a cat tumble in such a way, as if the wind had possessed their very limbs. "Do you think..." Finchstar turned toward Barleytuft, voice hushed so Aspenpaw wouldn't hear. "...Briarpaw?" Was the medicine cat needed? Finchstar wished for more wisdom. He could talk his way out of any situation, but what was going on in Aspenpaw's body was out of his control.

Loachkit
of RiverClan
Kit
10 HP / 30 SP

Back to top Go down
Grizzly
Former Staff
Former Staff
Grizzly

Sagittarius Horse

PostSubject: Re: The Drowned Moors Still Soothe Me   The Drowned Moors Still Soothe Me EmptyTue 28 May 2019 - 21:48

Aspenpaw felt the pain in his lungs and in his head subside as he lay in the mud. When the ringing stopped, he rose unsteadily to his paws. "Please..." he whispered, swallowing hard, "I'm okay. I'm fine. I just..."

A breeze swept through his fur that reminded him of the mountaintops. He swore that the wind blew harder there. Lately, it felt like a constant gust was blowing across his paws, lifting him off his legs, throwing him about like a piece of prey in a hawk's talons. In his heart of hearts, he felt guilty, because he had not recovered. He was not better. In fact, something was considerably wrong, but camp was small enough to mask his unsure feet and avoidance of harsh light. Aspenpaw looked into his mentor's yellow eyes, flooded with fear for his safety. All of a sudden, everything aligned itself in the apprentice's weakened mind. It wasn't possible to weather the storm alone. He had to get over himself and come clean. He took a breath and sat down before the two cats, staring at his dirty paws.

"I hit my head pretty hard, didn't I?" he asked quietly. "With the dog. I felt powerless, watching everybody get torn to shreds... for what? So we could watch our clanmates die, and never return home? I guess I was too reckless, but I let my guard down and he bopped me so hard I thought I broke a fang. I haven't been the same since. I've been irritable, sensitive to the sunlight in my eyes. Which is absolutely amazing, running on a moor that didn't have that much cover before the whole thing went underwater. My coordination is horrible. I mean, you saw my legs back there! I shake like a leaf even when I'm not trying to stalk rabbits. I look like a frog with a nasty bee sting." Aspenpaw shook his head. "I'm sorry. I know I shouldn't be joking around. I know this looks bad. There's something really wrong with my body. Sometimes, I get so dizzy and lightheaded and breathless that it feels like I'm falling off the gorge, but I'm standing straight up. I should've been honest, but I just wanted to start over. In the mountains, I felt like I wasn't doing all I could do. I thought this was my second chance."

The apprentice shut his eyes, bracing for whatever the other two had to say. "I guess it wasn't."

Back to top Go down
sumashira
Former Staff
Former Staff
sumashira

Cancer Pig

PostSubject: Re: The Drowned Moors Still Soothe Me   The Drowned Moors Still Soothe Me EmptyTue 28 May 2019 - 23:13

The sight of Aspenpaw writhing lightly on the ground was nearly enough to break Barleytuft's heart. He'd certainly never heard of a cat just collapsing the way that he had, and yet down the young tom had gone, sending earth up around him. Barleytuft heard Finchstar arrive beside him, both toms staring with a panicked expression down at their companion. "I'm here... I'm here," Finchstar tried to say reassuringly, though his voice shook. "You're alright. It's okay." Barleytuft glanced up at his leader despite himself. He's not okay - he's clearly not okay! the warrior's panicked voice yowled in his head, but clearly Finchstar knew that; the two locked gazes and the pale tabby tom saw his own concern reflected in his leader's eyes.

"Do you think... Briarpaw?" the ginger and white tom asked in a soft voice, trying to keep his clear concern from impacting Aspenpaw. Barleytuft nodded wordlessly and had just begun to turn, muscles tightening as he prepared to race back to camp, when he heard Aspenpaw choke out desperately, "Please..." Barleytuft froze, watching the smaller silver tom slowly stumble his way to his unsteady paws. Once upright, Aspenpaw continued, "I'm okay. I'm fine. I just..."

The experienced warrior hesitated as Aspenpaw trailed off, looking to Finchstar with his dark hazel eyes uncertain. It seemed that Aspenpaw had needed to see Briarpaw immediately, yet now suddenly he had recovered and seemed not to want Barleytuft to go. Barleytuft gazed at the young tom with interest; he looked in bad shape, but his mood seemed worse than his coat - not for ne reason, either. The tom asked, "I hit my head pretty hard, didn't I? With the dog."

The question somewhat surprised Barleytuft, who had been there when the dogs had attacked. He was one of the small patrol of ten which had accidentally stumbled upon them part way up the mountains. He, himself, had suffered at their paws, getting battered once or twice before ultimately beind grabbed around his chest and shaken like a mouse. Barleytuft was still sore, but most of his wounds were well on their way to recovery. Aspenpaw, though... The small tom hadn't been nearly so lucky. Barleytuft vaguely remembered the presence of his Clanmate during the battle, but he distinctly remembered the sound he heard when Aspenpaw's head had collided with the dog's, the way he had looked like he was pawing at death's den as he slid over the side of the cliff to his resting place in the battle. The apprentice continued speaking, describing some of the things he'd been experiencing since the battle.

"I shake like a leaf even when I'm not trying to stalk rabbits," Aspenpaw stated dejectedly. "I look like a frog with a nasty bee sting." Any other time Barleytuft would have laughed, but his face remained gravely serious. His Clanmate expressed his guilt at not having informed anyone. "I thought this was my second chance. I guess it wasn't."

Barleytuft glanced aside at Finchstar, at a loss for words. How could someone's body turn against them like it seemed Aspenpaw's had? "Don't say things like that, Aspenpaw, only StarClan knows why things happen the way they do," Barleytuft answered, though he feared to give the apprentice hope if truly there weren't any. "If Briarpaw hasn't looked at you yet, he needs to - maybe he'll see something obvious, something we can't see because... well, we aren't medicine cats." He looked uneasily at his leader, then back to Aspenpaw.

Clovertwist the Loner
WindClan ex-Warrior
{ #5F9EA0 }
Barleytuft of StarClan
WindClan Warrior
{ #DA8F6F }
Marmalade the Kittypet
ex-SkyClan Medicine Cat
{ #C1550A }
Dacedream of StarClan
ThunderClan Warrior
{ #808000 }
Summer the Loner
gay drifter
{ #E86375 }

Back to top Go down
lemon
Former Staff
Former Staff
lemon

Virgo Cat

PostSubject: Re: The Drowned Moors Still Soothe Me   The Drowned Moors Still Soothe Me EmptySun 2 Jun 2019 - 15:57

Finchstar's heart was pounding as he tried to remain calm. Aspenpaw was able to speak, and told the two cats he would be fine. The leader couldn't help but doubt his apprentice's statement, seeing as how he just recently slid through the mud. The thoughts that swam through Aspenpaw's head were almost palpable, and with the current danger out of the picture, Finchstar felt it fine to sit down next to the tom. The leader narrowed his yellow eyes as he watched the gray tabby, aware of Barleytuft's presence as well. He cared for his apprentice, and loved him, even. It hurt to see him in such a state.

"You did seem to, yes." Finchstar commented after Aspenpaw thought back on hitting his head. His apprentice went on to speak of his emotions, and the leader felt his respect build for the gray tabby tom. It was one of life's treasures; to share the feelings of the heart. The tom felt moved as Aspenpaw spoke, and his heart broke with every word. Any cat could see that Aspenpaw's state was serious, Finchstar didn't need a medicine cat to tell him that. He pawed at the mud with white paws as he mulled over where to go next, thinking only of his apprentice. "Aspenpaw. You are who you are. In the mountains, you were brave. And at Highstones, you hit your head so some other cat wouldn't have to. Never underestimate yourself. I, for one, appreciate your presence."

Finchstar remembered watching the red sun set over the mountains with his apprentice, their conversation they shared was deep and meaningful. Not even Brookclover had stood on the edge of the world with him, but Aspenpaw was there. Finchstar would lay down his life before he let his apprentice crumble into nothing. If he needed herbs, WindClan would find them. If he needed a friend, Finchstar would be one. It was the least he could do.

Barleytuft murmured about seeing Briarpaw, and Finchstar couldn't help but agree. "Can you walk, Aspenpaw? Lean on me. Barleytuft is right, we should get you to Briarpaw. If I may, I suggest you remain in camp until this issue is resolved. Who will I take walks with if your legs stop working?" Finchstar twitched his whiskers as he threw a light-hearted comment at his apprentice, hoping to relieve some of the tension in the air. It was scary, seeing at how fate could twist ones body and will. Finchstar prayed it would be kind to his apprentice, too stubborn to believe otherwise.

Loachkit
of RiverClan
Kit
10 HP / 30 SP

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Drowned Moors Still Soothe Me   The Drowned Moors Still Soothe Me Empty

Back to top Go down

The Drowned Moors Still Soothe Me
Page 1 of 1