Warrior Clan Cats

The future's in your paws. Shape it well.

Roleplay in a cat Clan of warriors. Based off the Warriors series by Erin Hunter. Takes place in an AU before the cats in the books existed.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome to WCC! Here are our latest announcements:
Activity checks take place on the 1st of the month. PM a staff member with the completed form if you missed it.
Newleaf is finally here, and the Clans hope to find reprieve from the tough Leaf-bare.
Gatherings take place on the 1st of the month; keep your eyes out for a staff member's post!
Please feel free to hit up any staff member if you have any questions!

Moo's Guide to Roleplaying

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Moon

Moon

Clan/Rank : ThunderClan Kit
Scorpio Rat
Number of posts : 3521

Moo's Guide to Roleplaying  Empty
PostSubject: Moo's Guide to Roleplaying    Moo's Guide to Roleplaying  EmptySat 5 Jan 2013 - 12:52

Moo's Unofficial Guide to Alternate Roleplay

Before I begin, I'm going to just say: I am by no means and expert roleplayer. I'm not even a good one. But I think I can help a bit with terminology and the like. |D

Common Roleplaying Terms

Here on WCC, we haven't delved very deeply into the whole alt. roleplay thing. We only have a few somewhat active ones currently. I'm sure it will catch on more once everyone sees how fun it actually is. :D Here are a few terms that I personally use.

GM - a GM, game master. This is the admin of the RP. The creator. There can be multiple GMs. Whatever the GM says goes. They direct the flow of the RP.

Linear roleplay - A linear roleplay is a roleplay in which the GM directs the story and has a set plot in mind. The characters are meant to interact with one another. While the GM controls NPCs and possibly their own character, their main goal is to push the plot in certain directions. An example is my roleplay, Fourstone. In it, members create their own character that I, the GM, fit into the story. Linear RPs are where the characters react to the GM's decisions. They go on until the GM closes them.

Freeform roleplay - A freeform roleplay is a roleplay that involves less story and more NPC interaction. Player characters may interact with one another, but they direct the flow of their own stories. The GM may or may not have a plot to push the characters together. These RPs are more focused on a character's personal story. The GM interacts with them with NPCs. Freeform RPs are where the GM reacts to member's decisions. They generally go on for a long time.

NPC - Non-player character. Controlled by the GM. Can either be pivotal to the story or just a random guy.

Godmodding - we know what this is, we're a roleplaying site. Refresher: Taking control of someone's character.

OOC/IC - Another refresher. Out-of-character or In-character. OOC posts should take place in the discussion thread, while IC posts should be in the RP itself.

PC - your character.

OP - the opening post made by the GM

Mary Sue - goddess

Roleplaying tips

- A good character has an actual personality. "Nice but mean sometimes" is not a personality. If you can't answer a questionnaire as your character, chances are either they need a lot of developing or they just aren't good.

- A personality is not a single trait that is focused on. A character should not be the embodiment of aggression or compassion; they can be very aggressive or very compassionate, but they shouldn't personify these traits. They must be a collection of things; three dimensional characters are important if you're going to be roleplaying them.

- Mary Sue and Gary Stu got married and traveled to the tropical island planet of Neptune where they live together, ruling their kingdom of alien rainbow unicorns. Their children have been systematically executed by the U.S. government. If you resurrect one of them as your characters, expect to get kicked out of an RP. >:I

- Don't take someone else's idea. If they have a Harry Potter roleplay going on, don't make one at the same time. It is ;-;

- Don't make the anti-Sue either. This is a Sue that focuses on defying societal norms; whereas the typical Mary Sue is a beautiful half elven princess that talks to animals and is lusted after by every male, an anti-Sue is either: A) the goffick purson dat haets preps. They're "ebulz" and display sociopathic tendencies for no reason other than it is gofficks. They're the antagonist of other characters but considered "coolnes" by their roleplayer. Or, B) the plain average small breasted quirky weirdo girl that likes anime and no one else likes her because run-on sentences but she is secretly pretty when she takes her glasses off but the others just don't know it okay? Her mommy is secretly Queen Crystialia the Beautiful and rules a unicorn kingdom in another realm and her best friend is a more extroverted version of herself that often is the target of prepz. While I call them anti-Sues, they fall under "Mary Sue" as well.

- These are a few things hated by virtually every roleplayer in existence: God-modding, Sues (covered above),

- YOU MAY BE SPECIAL BUT YOU'RE NOT SPESHUL. The universe is not going to defy its rules for you. Don't make idiotic things happen for no reason; everyone hates this, especially the GM.

- For the GMs:
A) if no one is interested, don't feel bad. Wait a while, and if no one signs up, just close it. Don't feel discouraged.
B) PM a mod or admin to have your RP archived when it is done. We do have a "completed RP" section, right?
C) Make use of the Discussion thread. Periodically update it or check for activity.
D) Try not to defy the universe's rules if you are making an RP set in a canon world.
E) Speaking of which: making your own universe is hard. You have to be very detailed.
F) Keep everything orderly and organized. It will be easier for you. trust me
G) Don't be afraid to rule with an iron fist >:I

More tips will be added periodically as I see fit. |D Feel free to suggest tips. I hope this helps someone a bit.

Last edited by Moon on Fri 27 Dec 2013 - 15:25; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Echo

Echo

Gemini Dragon
Number of posts : 2606

PostSubject: Re: Moo's Guide to Roleplaying    Moo's Guide to Roleplaying  EmptySat 5 Jan 2013 - 16:26

Wow this is amazing Moo! I <3 you~ Though I already knew most of that, it does still make me discouraged since my current sign-up/discussion only has me and Sarrow even though it took me 2 hours to make the first post. It is a free-form RP. Maybe it is too complicated? I'd love your tips! TY!

❝ Until the day his wings heal and he's able to fly... I will protect him. ❞
Back to top Go down
Moon

Moon

Scorpio Rat

PostSubject: Re: Moo's Guide to Roleplaying    Moo's Guide to Roleplaying  EmptySat 5 Jan 2013 - 18:06

Thank you so much! :D

And don't feel discouraged. It isn't probable or even likely that you'll make a perfect RP every time you try. My advice would be to ask around; either in the idea thread, on the chatbox, or in PMs. Make sure you have interest before going to the trouble of making one. Not everyone is interested in a specific RP genre, either, but it is still worth it to ask!

However, on the flip side of things, you could definitely do the RP with just you and one other, especially if it is freeform. Freeform RPs, I should add, generally allow members to join any time after the RP has started. Roleplay with Sarrow for a while, and maybe others will join in once they see how fun it is!

And yes, ask yourself; is it too complex for the type of RP it is? Did you do a thorough job of explaining it? If you're looking to do a fun roleplay (especially with something like Pokemon), simple is better. And simple doesn't mean less fun. Pokemon is one of those things where you could do a billion different kinds of roleplays, ranging from a serious, plot driven one to an upbeat funfest. My RP is my own little world that I came up with in a few hours; I had to elaborate a lot on it in order for people to understand it. Pokemon has a lot of canon that most can just read up on on a wiki, but when you throw in some kind of twist like gijinka (did I spell that right?) you should explain it more. Explain the world, how gijinkas interact with Pokemon/trainers, how the society works, the setting (other than Pokemon -- is it in a rustic place with little technology, like Mystery Dungeon, or in a high-tech land of Pokeballs and healing sprays, like the anime and games?), etc.

I <3 you too xD and I hope your RP gets on its feet. It is a cool idea! :D

Echo

Gemini Dragon
Number of posts : 2606

PostSubject: Re: Moo's Guide to Roleplaying    Moo's Guide to Roleplaying  EmptySat 5 Jan 2013 - 18:16

Oh thanks Moon! I will definitely try ahead then and start the RP thread! Thank you for the tips~

❝ Until the day his wings heal and he's able to fly... I will protect him. ❞
Back to top Go down
Moon

Moon

Scorpio Rat

PostSubject: Re: Moo's Guide to Roleplaying    Moo's Guide to Roleplaying  EmptySat 5 Jan 2013 - 18:19

You're welcome! 8D And remember: Don't be disappointed if it goes dark for any period of time, or doesn't pick up altogether. Fourstone has only recently picked up a bit once again. xD I'm not sure how long it has to last. It'll just be filed under incomplete. No big deal! :)

PostSubject: Re: Moo's Guide to Roleplaying    Moo's Guide to Roleplaying  Empty

Back to top Go down

Moo's Guide to Roleplaying
Page 1 of 1